THE BROWNS BOARD

How the Bucs are deciding their QB competition

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

According to Jason La Canfora:

The Buccaneers have been contacting other teams this week to gauge interest in their quarterbacks after putting off a decision to name a starter, according to league sources.

Bucs coach Raheem Morris originally planned to name a starter after Saturday’s preseason game against the Jaguars, then postponed the decision for at least one more week. Veterans Byron Leftwich and Luke McCown have been competing for the job, with first-round draft pick Josh Freeman the quarterback of the future.

Two NFL sources said the Bucs have been calling teams, willing to listen to offers for Leftwich, McCown or second-year pro Josh Johnson, a player thought of highly internally but who likely wouldn’t have great trade value.

“They sounded like they’re willing to deal any one of those three,” one executive said. “They’re looking for someone to make the (starting quarterback) decision for them.”

Their situation is different from ours, as their starting QB will only serve as a placeholder until Josh Freeman's ready. But it doesn't speak well of the new coaching staff and GM that they're letting the trade market decide who's their starting QB.

Guest Aloysius

Freeman isn't ready. He had a nice TD run during their second preseason game, but didn't look good during the first game (5/9, 52 yard, INT returned for a TD).

I saw a report that the coaching staff is frustrated about how the QB competition has prevented them from giving Freeman the number of reps he needs to be ready this year. I'm guessing that's playing a role in them wanting to make a decision now, but it's probably too late to prepare him to start sometime this year.

Guest Aloysius

Here's the report I mentioned above:

Meanwhile, Morris conceded it's possible first-round pick Josh Freeman's development has been stunted by his lack of participation in full-team portions of training camp. Because coaches are spending so much time evaluating McCown and Leftwich, Freeman and Josh Johnson haven't had many opportunities.

Freeman finished 5-of-9 for 52 yards and threw an interception returned for a touchdown. But Morris complimented his composure despite his limited preparation. At one point, Morris said, a communication issue forced Freeman to call his own play. He ran a draw that went for 7 yards.

That's a big coaching mistake. I wouldn't compound it by rushing Freeman on the field before he's ready.

A redshirt year makes a lot of sense for him.

Morris' plan makes flipping a coin sound respectable.

Nah...it's not like he's flipping a coin to see who the starter will be. It's going to be Freeman. The question is who gets to be the placeholder, and I can see the logic of getting whatever value you can with the one and then letting the other take the lumps at the beginning of the season. I mean, it's not the ideal situation, but neither is having your QB of the future not ready to step in right away and trying to decide which of your veteran QBs is the evil of two lessers.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

I'll take a front office job. Coaches have to work crazy hours.

And this is why Freeman need to sit:

Football Sense: Is a good rhythm passer, but could have used a year or two in a pro-style offense. Not great anticipating breaks on deep routes by his receivers and must do a better job of reading coverage and making checks, as he is prone to throwing into tight areas. There could be questions about his ability to make proper reads and act instinctively. He showed a better grasp for the system as a junior, but needs time before he is comfortable calling his own game. GRADE: 6.0

Reading Defenses: Freeman is still a work in progress in this area. He lacks a good feel for progressions and can be a second late anticipating his target coming out of a break. He is tall moving in the pocket, but despite having the height to scan the field, he fails to recognize backside pressure. Adequate making decisions and will be sacked when he holds the ball too long. A big concern is his penchant for forcing the ball into coverage. In particular, zone coverages have confounded Freeman and he will eyeball his primary target. Early in 2008, he was making fine read progressions, but his consistency steadily faltered. When he throws into traffic, it is because he struggles to read coverage. GRADE: 5.6

Freeman isn't ready. He had a nice TD run during their second preseason game, but didn't look good during the first game (5/9, 52 yard, INT returned for a TD).

I saw a report that the coaching staff is frustrated about how the QB competition has prevented them from giving Freeman the number of reps he needs to be ready this year. I'm guessing that's playing a role in them wanting to make a decision now, but it's probably too late to prepare him to start sometime this year.

That's exactly why the Browns traded Frye after the Pitt game. Keeping all three QB's was taking away reps from Quinn. They chose to deal Frye because he garnered a pick and DA would have had to be released. People forget, at the time DA looked pathetic. Regardless of what Frye did to kill his career in the Pitt game, they still looked at DA as a nobody and so did the rest of the league, hence no trade offers.

Archived