THE BROWNS BOARD

THURSDAY Morning News Roundup

Dan in Florida

Cleveland Browns morning news roundup: What's the situation with Shaun Rogers?

by Starting Blocks, The Plain Dealer

Thursday August 27, 2009, 9:25 AM

large_edwards-rogers.jpg

The Cleveland Browns' Braylon Edwards (17) and Shaun Rogers (92) on exercise

bikes earlier this month. While Edwards went on to have a productive training camp,

Rogers hasn't always practiced and has missed both pre-season games.

Given the secretive nature of the NFL these days, there's always some mystery.

The Cleveland Browns seem to hold their cards as well as anyone.

Not much has been disclosed about the absence from the first two pre-season games of

three-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers, arguably the Browns' most accomplished

and indispensable player.

Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon Journal notes the continuing questions about Roger's status:

Coach Eric Mangini has said little about why Rogers is out, offering, "He's rehabbing,"

which has merely fostered rumors since the two had a falling out after Mangini got the job.

Asked if it's strictly injury-related, Mangini said, "I'm not going to get into any specifics of it.

He's working to get back and I'm happy with how he's working."

Mangini did not rule out the possibility of Rogers playing in Saturday's preseason game at

home against the Tennessee Titans.

Look for: Plain Dealer Browns coverage includes beat writer Tony Grossi's feature story on

running back Jamal Lewis; beat writer Mary Kay Cabot's Browns Insider; her training camp log

(which inludes VIDEO - Camp Rap Up); columnist Bud "Shaw's Spin;" a photo gallery;

a transcript of coach Eric Mangini's Wednesday press conference.

Waiting to know: On NFL.com, Pat Kirwan mentions the Browns' quarterback situation

and the emergence of rookie running back James Davis. He writes:

Cleveland took a chance on James Davis, who had a poor senior season at Clemson

after a fine junior year. He is clearly performing in Cleveland like he did two years ago at college.

NFL.com carries an Associated Press report about Derek Anderson's calm in waiting for a decision on the

starting quarterback competition between him and Brady Quinn. AP writes:

On Wednesday, Anderson declined to dissect what he and Quinn do well, then later declined to

answer whether this could be his final quarterback competition with the Browns.

"I'm under contract with the Browns for another year," he said. "As far as my career goes, you compete with guys

in camp every single year, regardless if you're named the starter or the backup going in."

That's it: Training camp closed Wednesday with the Browns' final public practice of the summer.

Steve Doerschuk writes about it for the Canton Repository:

What's the difference between training camp and today's practice?

The players finally were allowed to move out of the team hotel. Veterans who are close to families

especially liked that.

The team hotel still is open to players on the bubble, most of them young. Some will be moving out

of Ohio permanently much sooner than they would like.

Rosy: Wide receiver Braylon Edwards approaches the season with optimism, writes Matt Florjancic for

ClevelandBrowns.com:

While some spent training camp battling for playing time and others were trying to make improvements

from last season, Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards had one simple goal: recapturing his love of the game.

"(I was) just trying to have fun, get back to what football is ultimately about from your childhood and what we still believe

it's about," said Edwards. "We've had fun and now it's over with. Now, it gets serious, but at the same time, that doesn't

mean the fun has to go away from it. That's the message I'm going to keep harping on. If you're having fun, then you win

games. Just look at the Cavs last year. The Cavs were all about fun and they had one of the best records ever."

Etched: Two former Browns hold records that are among the NFL's unbreakable, thinks Jim Ingraham of the

News-Herald and Lorain Morning Journal. He writes, referring to all-time rushing leader Emmitt Smith and

former Brown Jim Brown:

However, Smith's career per-carry average was 4.2, a full yard below Brown's. Smith had 2,050 more

carries in his career than Brown, who finished with 12,312 career yards.

Give Brown 2,050 more carries, at 5.2 yards per, and you'd have a career total of 22,972 -- 4,617 more yards than Smith's career total.

- Quinn ran the 2-minute drill yesterday and completed six short passes (4 to Lewis and 2 to Royal) to set up a field goal. Anderson did NOT run the 2-minute... it was Ratliff instead (who failed).

According to this report, Ratliff got the field goal in 2-min. Not Quinn.

Ratliff also worked the two-minute offense and led the Browns to a Dawson field goal.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2009/8/27/100...s-training-camp

Also, once again Quinn doesn't make any big plays. But Anderson does as usual.

Play of the Day: A highlight play came when QB Derek Anderson threw a deep pass down the left sideline. RB James Davis made a one-handed catch after beating his defender. WR Lance Leggett also made a nice grab when he dove near the sidelines on an Anderson pass.

Another bad week of practice for the Quinnster. No deep balls. Poor accuracy. Picks.

Some might describe him as having had the "wheels fall off"

RE: Rogers

There are guys who need training camp ( 98% of the players do IMO) and there is the elite top 2% like Rogers that doesnt. I would argue it's making our LB's, DL and DB's better by practicing / going through preseason without him..They are dealing with more double teams, faster blocking up to the second level, less pocket pressure.

The game will open up for all the above once he is in there.

I think its Mangini and Rogers both agreed on not to rush him back. He's going to be a beast regardless if he is playing the 1st quarter of these pre season games.

Play of the Day: A highlight play came when QB Derek Anderson threw a deep pass down the left sideline. RB James Davis made a one-handed catch after beating his defender. WR Lance Leggett also made a nice grab when he dove near the sidelines on an Anderson pass.

Umm, these plays highlight the play of the receiver.

Quinn completed 6 straight passes for a field goal in the 2-minute. That's a good thing. He's been completing deep balls all over the place the last two weeks. Remembering the flop sweat you broke trying to say they don't matter?

CBS Rapid Reports yesterday:

4:12:45 pm Browns QB Brady Quinn has thrown four straight short passes to RB Jamal Lewis in the two-minute drill, but hasn't shown accuracy on tosses more than 20 yards throughout camp. He just overthrew Josh Cribbs long.

Sounds like Quinn is separating himself......from the starting QB job.

Quinn completed 6 straight passes for a field goal in the 2-minute. That's a good thing.

completed 6 "straight" shorties, or 6 shorties total?

I don't see the word "straight" in there. Maybe you can enlighten us shep?

Quinn completed four passes to Jamal Lewis and two to Martin Rucker on the drive."

How are you gonna write this and post a link that contradicts what you said? Maybe you should try to do something we call reading. I know its kinda hard to read when your too busy staring at a naked poster of DA.

Once again, DA NEEDS everyone around him playing at their career best for him to shine.

This is what we call putting your playmakers in position to make plays.

Sadly this is something that Quinn has not done and does not appear to be getting to that point anytime soon either.

Or, in DA's reality, over/underthrowing them to the point where they NEED to make the spectacular play for the completion.

NO that is what we call being carried by your playmakers.

yeah and for some reason no other QB in Cleveland for the last 25 years has been able to get "carried by his teammates" the way Anderson has.

Anderson gets carried by his teammates. Everybody else gets screwed over by their teammates.

Amazing coincidence isn't it?

Guest Masters
Or, in DA's reality, over/underthrowing them to the point where they NEED to make the spectacular play for the completion.

Also called leading guys into vicious hits so they develop gator arms.

Also called leading guys into vicious hits so they develop gator arms.

Or the dropsies.

Shit. Perhaps we're onto something here.......................

Guest Masters
Or the dropsies.

Shit. Perhaps we're onto something here.......................

I have been harping on that one since the end of the 2007 season. You started to see the frustration of those from BE, KW, and JJ at the end of that season. Then in 2008 both KW and BE start dropping balls they used to catch. Maybe a coincidence, but I have never thought so.

How are you gonna write this and post a link that contradicts what you said? Maybe you should try to do something we call reading. I know its kinda hard to read when your too busy staring at a naked poster of DA.

You've gotta remember who you're talking about. If it involves a Browns QB and it is good, Lumnuts automatically relates it to his boyfriend. It's not his fault...He has a condition he cannot control...He's gay and in love/lust/whatever with DA. Or he's just a puppet as many on here have suggested and his sole purpose is to get people to reply to his extremely ignorant posts. Either way, puppet or not, doesn't matter. He'll be gone soon enough (or not soon enough depending on how you want to view it).

I dont believe we have seen Quinn enough to decide if he is a playmaker.

Quinn fans could/would say this for the next 20 years.

But Quinn's playing time isn't dependent on whether his fans think they've seen enough of him or not.

If he can make big plays, he's gonna have to do it in front of his coach, or he ain't even gonna get a shot to try it in a game.

After every Browns win I have this weird feeling he's gonna come in and piss on every celebratory thread with a "Quinn sure missed the hell outta that one pass in the 3rd Quarter, Browns suck!!"

And turn into a full blown troll...

Are you saying I'd do something similar to what you and BQ Nation have done for the past 2+ seasons?

Put in Quinn!!! We only put up 40 on the Dolphins!!! Did you see that one shitty pass after his 3rd TD pass!!! Quinn woulda put up 60!!!

Are you saying I'd do something similar to what you and BQ Nation have done for the past 2+ seasons?

Put in Quinn!!! We only put up 40 on the Dolphins!!! Did you see that one shitty pass after his 3rd TD pass!!! Quinn woulda put up 60!!!

If your goal has been balance on your forum, how's that going?

This thread perfectly illustrates what I was trying to say in "the other thread".

Lum riles up the masses, they respond (me included all too often), and the intelligent football talk goes down the toilet.

Its good entertainment. I can sift through it and even enjoy the banter. However, there's no denying it degrades the quality football talk. So, I scratch my head at those who appear to be so offended by the "Quinnies" when they probably wouldn't exist without Lum. ;)

This thread perfectly illustrates what I was trying to say in "the other thread".

Lum riles up the masses, they respond (me included all too often), and the intelligent football talk goes down the toilet.

Its good entertainment. I can sift through it and even enjoy the banter. However, there's no denying it degrades the quality football talk. So, I scratch my head at those who appear to be so offended by the "Quinnies" when they probably wouldn't exist without Lum. ;)

I thought you were banned for that 'other thread'.

j/k

Sadly this is something that Quinn has not done and does not appear to be getting to that point anytime soon either.

and you know this because you were at camp how many days? these things you actually saw with your own eyes?

you're a clown.....................hit the road with your bullshit.

Quinn's been hitting deep balls all over the place.

He hit one in a practice. It was front page news all over the city. First reports were 50 yards. Grossi said 55, Lane Adkins said 58. Shepwrite estimated 65.

The second deep ball was in the scrimmage. It appeared to cover about 55 yards on the video. shepwrite estimated it at about 75.

If there were any other deep balls Quinn hit, go ahead and fill us in on them.

Archived