THE BROWNS BOARD

RapidReports - From Thursday

AZBrowns

CBS Rapid Reports

Thursday, August 27, 2009

3:36:23 pm Browns WR Josh Cribbs continues to make progress at that spot and remains in the thick of the battle for a starting position. He stated his case again by reaching the end zone on a crossing pattern off a pass from Brady Quinn early in today's session.

3:35:16 pm Browns rookie WR Jordan Norwood is likely competing for a spot only on the practice squad, but he showed something today when he beat DB Hamza Abdullah in the corner of the end zone and grabbed a TD pass from Richard Bartel.

3:33:35 pm Though some tickets remain for tomorrow night's home game against Tennessee, the blackout has been lifted. The game will be shown on local TV.

3:32:54 pm TE Martin Rucker, who some considered a longshot for significant playing time when camp began, hasn't separated himself from other backups at that position. But he has performed better lately and did get wide open for a TD catch from Brady Quinn today in the corner of the end zone.

3:31:53 pm It seems that Browns WR Braylon Edwards makes the hard catches look easy and the easy ones look hard. He leaped over S Mike Adams for a one-handed TD catch from Brady Quinn early in today's practice.

3:30:07 pm Browns veteran DB Hank Poteat had a good day today, batting away a few passes and providing blanket coverage. Poteat remains in the battle for playing time in what might be the most crowded spot. Starting jobs are open aside from CB Eric Wright and S Abram Elam, though Brandon McDonald appears to have an edge at CB.

3:27:59 pm Browns rookie C Alex Mack played with the first team today, though he has been switching off with veteran Hank Fraley. The Browns seem set at the other OL spots with Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach on the left side and Floyd Womack and John St. Clair on the right.

3:17:46 pm Browns TE Robert Royal was back at practice today, but several others remain sidelined. RB Jerome Harrison, OL Rex Hadnot, LB Titus Brown , NT Shaun Rogers and LB David Bowens were working out on the side. OL Ryan Tucker and S Brodney Pool were not here.

3:12:51 pm Linebackers Nick Roach (concussion) and Jamar Williams (foot) and DE Henry Melton (ankle) remain out of practice, with CB Charles Tillman (back). FS Danieal Manning (hamstring) and CB Zack Bowman (hamstring) are both practicing for the third straight day.

3:06:28 pm The backup QBs haven't looked particularly strong throughout camp. Brett Ratliff has struggled with his accuracy and that trend continued today.

2:30:11 pm Browns LB D'Qwell Jackson today broke down the primary defenses between the defense's terrible performance at Green Bay and superior one against Detroit. "In the first game, we had a lot of new guys, new coaches and a lot of anxiety," he said.

2:27:14 pm Will rookie C Alex Mack we installed as the starter if he proves he's ready no matter how the competition performs? Rival Hank Fraley doesn't believe it will work that way. "Just because he's the first round pick?" he asked. "It's not my job to make decisions like that. I just need to go out and play."

2:26:05 pm One good thing leads to another - at least for Browns KR Josh Cribbs, who followed a called-back kickoff return for a TD with a punt return for a score last week. He hopes the same will hold true for him as a WR. "Once I get that initial catch, I can get into that zone," he said.

2:24:12 pm Though he's entrenched as the Browns starting left guard, Eric Steinbach believes his work at OT will help his overall game. "The more I play tackle give me a better idea of what (starting LT) Joe Thomas is doing over there," he said. "It opens your eyes."

2:23:15 pm Browns QB Brady Quinn dismissed the notion that tomorrow's preseason game that could determine who starts this season will provide stress. "There are much more stressful situation you can have on this earth," he said. "We're just playing football - the game we love."

12:27:23 pm Eric Steinbach has worked quite a bit at tackle in this camp, but is set to start at OG. Browns coach Eric Mangini has been pleased. "He's worked hard on his hand placement and footwork," he said. I like a lot of things he's done."

12:26:14 pm When asked to compare the rookie camp of Jets C Nick Mangold with that of Browns rookie C Alex Mack, coach Eric Mangini said, "It's important to remember all the thing these guys go through. I try to look back in my notes (about Mangold) and see what my thoughts were at that time and see if there are any parallels."

12:18:53 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini has been relieved that QBs Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson haven't allowed the starting competition to negatively affect the team. "It's not always easy to be fiercely competitive and fiercely loyal to the team, but they've both done that," he said.

12:17:38 pm It would seem OT John St. Clair and OG Floyd Womack are set as starters. Browns coach Eric Mangini is impressed with

both. "They're both highly regarded," he said. "They're good people, good workers and good pros. They communicate well and have shown good versatility."

12:16:28 pm Browns coach Eric Mangini said the first team will play into the second half tomorrow against the Titans. That will allow competing QBs Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson to play in various situations with the top group.

12:15:09 pm Asked about OT Ryan Tucker and NT Shaun Rogers, Browns coach Eric Mangini said he doesn't want to place anyone on the active list too soon. "When you do that and the player can't go, that can kill you," he said. "You go as long as you can and make the best decision possible."

12:13:51 pm The Browns will work extensively today on their red zone and goal line offenses. Coach Eric Mangini said the game-planning for Tennessee this week has been less extensive than it will be during the regular season.

Why is there a Bears snippet in here? :)

3:27:59 pm Browns rookie C Alex Mack played with the first team today, though he has been switching off with veteran Hank Fraley. The Browns seem set at the other OL spots with Joe Thomas and Eric Steinbach on the left side and Floyd Womack and John St. Clair on the right.

3:17:46 pm Browns TE Robert Royal was back at practice today, but several others remain sidelined. RB Jerome Harrison, OL Rex Hadnot, LB Titus Brown , NT Shaun Rogers and LB David Bowens were working out on the side. OL Ryan Tucker and S Brodney Pool were not here.

3:12:51 pm Linebackers Nick Roach (concussion) and Jamar Williams (foot) and DE Henry Melton (ankle) remain out of practice, with CB Charles Tillman (back). FS Danieal Manning (hamstring) and CB Zack Bowman (hamstring) are both practicing for the third straight day.

"One of these things is not like the others, one of these things doesn't belong............"

2:23:15 pm Browns QB Brady Quinn dismissed the notion that tomorrow's preseason game that could determine who starts this season will provide stress. "There are much more stressful situation you can have on this earth," he said. "We're just playing football - the game we love.

Sounds like a concession speech there by Quinn.

Sounds like a concession speech there by Quinn.

Yeah, that's totally what you can conclude by all of those updates that DIDN'T include Derek Anderson.

If you can give me a legit quote, article or source that shows Anderson is the clear-cut starter and this is all just pandering to the fans by Mangini, then I will shut up.

I'll wait.....

if we didn't have 15 posts of "hey lummy, your stupid".....then maybe the thread would continue.

We both know that isn't a realistic option here. Or anywhere.

what ruins the thread is your incessant need to reply. if we didn't have 15 posts of "hey lummy, your stupid".....then maybe the thread would continue.

and years later, the board still hasn't learned.

Contrary to what I have said previously, I actually enjoy it when Lumbergh posts.... it helps me get through my day at times.

It's probably close to the feeling LeBron James must get when DeShawn Stevenson is guarding him.

Weird that only Quinn is getting mentioned here. Anderson's answers to the reporters yesterday sure seemed telling to me... and this adds to the signs. I just get the feeling he's been told something.

It seems like Quinn practiced better on Wednesday and Thursday. If that really mattered toward who starts Saturday, it'll be Quinn. But I have a feeling that was already settled.

If Quinn starts Sat. and goes most of the first half with the 1's you would think DA could prosper by getting to play against the Titan's #2s, but then again he would be lining up with the #2s. What has to be understood about the preseason game stats is that whoever plays with the #2 OL is going to look like shit. I'm not too happy with our depth at OL. What I have seen of Sowells, Dustin Fry and Quaterman haven't been impressive. After our starting 5, they better hope Hadnot and Tucker get back and Weary works out because there isn't much after that. They need to be looking at the waiver wire real hard. We are very thin at OT.

WE could be 8 deep if everybody is healthy and they keep Fraley and Weary but if a OT goes down then the whole line gets disrupted because Steinbach or Womack would have to move to the tackle position leaving Hadnot to fill the created gap. I don't know where Tucker is and I don't know if the Staff knows if he really wants to play anymore or not. It may be that he has just taken too much of a beating over the years and can't step up anymore.

then quit bitching about ruining threads. the posts following lums are the stupid shit we have to filter thru.....a buncha internet noobs that can't deal with a differing opinion.

im on alot of boards...and this on is the only one where people continually piss and moan because they dont like the demeanor of another. you get so spun up because he doesn't like the queen....yet, fail to realize the tools he makes you out to be. you think your screwing with him? the only ones isee getting pissed are those that dont like him.

Also a pick;

Practice notes: Eric Wright intercepted a pass from Derek Anderson that went off the hands of Jamal Lewis . . Edwards, working as Titans receiver Justin Gage on the scout team, made a nice one-handed grab in the end zone from Brett Ratliff. . . . Quarterback Richard Bartel ran it in from the 2 against the first-team defense. . . . James Davis scored from the 1 in goal-line drills, and Anderson hit Robert Royal in the end zone for the two-pointer.

Also a pick;

Practice notes: Eric Wright intercepted a pass from Derek Anderson that went off the hands of Jamal Lewis . . Edwards, working as Titans receiver Justin Gage on the scout team, made a nice one-handed grab in the end zone from Brett Ratliff. . . . Quarterback Richard Bartel ran it in from the 2 against the first-team defense. . . . James Davis scored from the 1 in goal-line drills, and Anderson hit Robert Royal in the end zone for the two-pointer.

Interesting note on Edwards.

you've never once seen me complain about him ruining threads. Or ask for him to be banned. or any other thing.

so then, since you're obviously smarter than i am, why did you inject yourself into an blanket statement that didn't, by your account, involve you? i mean, if you've never bashed lumbergh for his views, why do you feel the need to defend those that do? you must have a fairly low opinion of those people here that do then, because you are coming to their defense with your frail insight? no it, ok. free speech? too much time on your hands? no life? just what would it be, smart guy?

So maybe if you yourself tried to actually figure out what each poster is saying instead of making blanket statements about all posters, then maybe most people here wouldn't think you were such a tool either.

good god, this is probly the only place that exists on the internet for you, isn't it? the term tool is used to reference those morons too stupid to realize when someone is trolling, to constantly reply because they think the words they are typing will mean something to the person they are directed at. it is obvious you dont know internet protocol....you aren't with the "in" crowd, not in the "know", and dont know how to respond, or lack therof, to people who's opinions you disagree with.

the irony of this post is aobut to be met in 3.....2....1....

edit: and you were right. you dont complain about lums.....you just add to the stupidity that ruins threads. have a nice night.

Guest Masters
edit: and you were right. you dont complain about lums.....you just add to the stupidity that ruins threads. have a nice night.

And your posts telling people who is ruining what don't do the same thing :blink::rolleyes:

Also a pick;

Practice notes: Eric Wright intercepted a pass from Derek Anderson that went off the hands of Jamal Lewis .

DA must have really worked hard in the offseason he's making a ton of progress not rocketing balls at running backs resulting in interceptions...

DA must have really worked hard in the offseason he's making a ton of progress not rocketing balls at running backs resulting in interceptions...

To be fair, if it hit his hands, he probably should have caught it.

I can see it your way too though.

Yeah but when you're only 7 yards away in the flats it's not exactly natural to receive a ball that's coming at you as if you were 40yds down the field.

DA must be a BQ fag, that's the only explanation for him to play so bad and force the coach to start BQ. :rolleyes:

Archived