THE BROWNS BOARD

Ultimatum Time

Guest mz.

at what point to you stop banning then? I've been banned. Once for telling someone the word "wigger" is offensive because it's a play on the "n" word. (not sure why it was ban worthy)

if you want everyone to tell you the Browns are always on the right path, that everything they do is good, that other teams win because they cheat, then than this is the board for you.

The accepted posters here will never tell you like it is. Heck, everyone loved Winslow and Romeo and Savage last year at this time. Most will come out now and say that they never did, but i remember differently.

Sometime people have to be made to see reality.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude....there are plenty of anti-DA mongers....if we banned them there would be 12 bannings today.

Don't you think that's from a result of what Mike is upset with (OP)??

Before Lumberg came on the scene, DA never got it any worse than Frye would when he'd tuck it & take a sack.

Ah, the 72 post boy wonder is telling us how to handle the community.

Thanks newb.

You've missed the point. The quality of the discussion has erroded. This is largely an affinity board.

When certain Steeler fans got to be too much of an annoyance..... they got banned.

I think the standard should be the same for certain Oregon State fans. That's all.

I don't even know who you were talking to as I am working backwards at this point. but Newb???

Message boards have been around a while now...I wasn't a "Newb" the day I made my first post on this board.

Don't you think that's from a result of what Mike is upset with (OP)??

Before Lumberg came on the scene, DA never got it any worse than Frye would when he'd tuck it & take a sack.

I agree....it was like the love-fest from lums forced (yeah, I know, our choice) people to re-hash the problems with DA...more than was necessary.

I for one found myself burying DA almost daily, when in fact I still see a lot in the guy that intrigues me. I really would love to see a guy with his arm strength behind center...if he would just not turn the ball over so frequently...and that may be just a year or so away (maybe this year).

So, instead of debating his merits....many of us ended up bashing him far more than necessary because of the excuses made for him.

Also, just because some of us are wondering what Quinn can do (not saying he would be better, just wondering if), we didn't deserve to be lumped in with a bunch of pink jersey wearing teenage girls. Shep and I had some pretty heated discussions about the merits of even DRAFTING Quinn...much less being in love with the guy...and I am often lumped into that category by good ol' lummy.

If he was even half a Browns fan...and had an inkling of the people on this board...he would understand that I am one of the guys who wanted anyone BUT Quinn at #3 that year...and was as happy as a hound in fox season when we took Thomas.

But, that is beyond his ability to understand...and flies in his ability to rant on others. Backing a player is one thing, but attacking others just because they see the faults in said player is entirely different.

If he was even half a Browns fan...and had an inkling of the people on this board...he would understand that I am one of the guys who wanted anyone BUT Quinn at #3 that year...and was as happy as a hound in fox season when we took Thomas.

Ditto.

Thomas was my pick at #3 too. The only debate for me was Peterson and I'm still not yet sold that we missed as I want to see another two years of high productivity from Peterson to concede a "miss".

Didn't want any QB at number 3 considering our needs that year. I sure as hell wasn't convinced we were set at QB either, just felt we were a year away from drafting a QB.

I think about 75% of the Browns fan base would have collectively vomitted if they selected Quinn at 3 with having only Kevin Shaffer to protect his blind side. It would have felt like Tim Couch all over again.

I was hoping the Browns would go for Peterson and I didn't like Thomas too much at the time. I was too afraid of the Robert Gallery / Mike Williams type of picks and even though Thomas isn't the same style as those two, it was hard for me to come to grips with selecting a left tackle at 3 when there was already a ton of money invested into Shaffer, Bentley and -- that offseason -- Steinbach.

I thought it was a solid pick afterwards but never imagined that he'd make the pro bowl his first two years.

I'll never understand people who believe pissing everyone off is "success."

How big of a failure at real life do you have to be to get to that point? So the teenagers ruining the movie for everyone else are successes? Because that's how I think of Lums. He isn't here to discuss, persuade, or be part of a community. He's here to be a dick.

And I do disagree with Zombo: Lums is NOT a Browns fan. He hates any Browns fan who doesn't love Derek Anderson. I've never read a single post from him gushing about his other favorite players or how excited he is for this or that... just one post after the other bashing Quinn and Quinn Fags. That's it. Nothing else.

I honestly, truly never got the point of his existence. This is NOT a public board. It's private. I would revoke his membership.

hey hey hey now Shep.... I do remembering hm pimping "Big Bad Hank Fraley" once.... Look how that turned out for him.

Not that I disliked Fraley, but liking or disliking isn't the point I am trying to make here.

I'm with mz the pussy, Peen, Inspecta, Shep, Masters and Zombo.

And the guy who brought up the number of "thanks" he's received.

Every opinion was wonderful.

God I hate the thanks button.

Hey, is there a way we could sell/give our hard-earned thanks to another person? Like sell (forget the give thing) them to someone in need if they were deep in a thread that turned ugly and they were going against someone with a zillion thanks? Maybe use paypal or something?

Beanpot

Puke. I actually just read the whole damn thread.

I want to sit in the Lumberg account chair for a few days dammit.

Chaos would be everyones last concern, please give me a chance.

Screw banning your puppet, lets reward the good posters with an opportunity to be Lumberg for a day or two.

I'll admit as a new member last year i was encouraged to post after reading Lumbergs crap, now i do feel as if i've been abused.

But i'll continue just like my wedding day vows. :angry:

(Zombo @ Aug 28 2009, 03:01 PM)

Lums is a defending his favorite player. Big difference.

Zombo

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit,,,,,

Anytime facts are presented he avoids them. Anytime he is presented with things DA needs to work on or is simply piss poor at, he turns it into a Quinn bashing post. There is no debating with him, so there is no defending DA with him. He does not defend DA at all, but simply bashes anyone who does not support DA.

The fact that so many people engage him is because it is a message board - all boards have a mob mentality to trolls. Feeding trolls is part and parcel of a board.

What is this guy adding that mods can't delete his account? What standard are you trying to defend by leaving him in place? It is utterly f*ucking rediculous that very good posts are completely ruined by his baiting. Very good posters do not add their intelligence on subjects because he has derailed them.

The joke is over. Either delete the account or allow the board to lose valuable members.

What have the mods been waiting for?? Why are you allowing this completely useless member to stay? Pull the f*ucking trigger already. The board is split on BQ and DA anyway - he doesn't represent the only torch holder for DA.

God why is this even a debate?

This is about the Nth thread I've seen that was about Lumburgh without him even showing up in person 'til the second page of the thread. If so many posters weren't so infatuated with talking about Lumburgh, he'd be greatly marginalized. Those of you who continue talking about him are inviting the shit on yourselves.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit,,,,,

Anytime facts are presented he avoids them. Anytime he is presented with things DA needs to work on or is simply piss poor at, he turns it into a Quinn bashing post. There is no debating with him, so there is no defending DA with him. He does not defend DA at all, but simply bashes anyone who does not support DA.

The fact that so many people engage him is because it is a message board - all boards have a mob mentality to trolls. Feeding trolls is part and parcel of a board.

What is this guy adding that mods can't delete his account? What standard are you trying to defend by leaving him in place? It is utterly f*ucking rediculous that very good posts are completely ruined by his baiting. Very good posters do not add their intelligence on subjects because he has derailed them.

The joke is over. Either delete the account or allow the board to lose valuable members.

What have the mods been waiting for?? Why are you allowing this completely useless member to stay? Pull the f*ucking trigger already. The board is split on BQ and DA anyway - he doesn't represent the only torch holder for DA.

God why is this even a debate?

"Either delete the account or allow the board to lose valuable members." OK guys. I'll leave that up to ATE. I can't delete accounts, or block ISPs.

There's a certain species of troll that's not about board disruption per se. That's Tom V.'s domain, and why he's not here anymore. There are guys that want to show how skillfully they can defend a certain position, and Lums falls into that category. LOL, politicians are great at not responding to direct questions, and spinning the facts to suit their agenda. You want to talk REALLY obnoxious? Way back, when the Browns were spirited away by the Evil One, all we had for universal messaging was a thing called USENET. There's only one guy that I've ever mailblocked, and that's Bernie@home.com the guy was only not even a Browns fan, but not even a FOOTBALL fan. 12,000 posts justifying why it was OK for Baltimore to steal the Browns. As you can see Lums has a long way to go to catch up- maybe I'm just getting too old in that regard, having seen what totally unfiltered trolldom can wreak. Hells bells, it got to the point we wanted to organize a posse and head to Glen Burnie, Maryland to burn the suckers house down.

So yeah, there is a line where it morphs from an exchange of opinions into a debate contest. Believe me, I HATE debate contests. For our younger members- this rule hasn't changed in 15 years on the Internet- if you don't want to get sucked into a debate contest, DON'T reply to a guy that's here strictly to debate!

Easier said than done- it took me years to resist the urge. :)

So if you guys really, really hate Lums, PM me, and I'll start deleting him.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Hoorta,

when you put it that way....what the hell. Lums will disappear one day, if he doesn't so what. Did I mention I heart boobs....?

Browns football is, like, the greatest thing out there. There is NOTHING I enjoy more in life than sitting on the sofa getting ready to watch the game. And living/growing up where I do/did, I am/was like the only Browns fan I knew, so it was pretty much me reading box scores/articles/whatever after the games and hoping we'd get a little blurb or highlight on ESPN I could rally around...I didn't have other Browns fans to commiserate and talk shit with.

That's why a place like this, in theory, is great. We come from all over the globe and can talk about our favorite thing with other folks who also find it to be their favorite thing. Great, right? Who better to complain to about a shitty coaching decision or play than someone who feels as passionately about it as you do? Who better to talk about the upcoming draft than with people who care about who the Browns might pick than someone who is as excited about it as you are? Who better to exalt in the joys of winning (well, if that ever happens...) than someone who cares about it as much as you do?

Well, this place isn't that. It is a place currently being overrun by someone who doesn't give a shit about OUR team. Whether it is a real person or not at this point doesn't even concern me. The fact is that "thing" is ruining this community and everyone knows it. I originally signed up and joined this place because I truly found it to be the best place to talk Browns football with like-minded fans. This is, sadly, no longer the case.

Mike

Mike, I enjoy your presence around here. You get into the mix on alot of subjects and enhance the quality. You also have GREAT taste in pro and COLLEGE teams. Who else on this PLANET likes SU? God bless ya!

Don't let the Lummy stuff stand in your way of enjoying this place. The LEADER of this board did a great thing for all of us by starting it up. Our old board was gay and controlled by somebody that liked handing out adult timeouts and TOS violations. It was like we had this enormous penalty box and all the interesting fans were in it. She wanted positive rah rahs and Oprah-level entertainment on HER board. The problem with that is our fanbase has too many Alpha Dawgs in the Pound to make such a thing realistic. Therefore, Skippy had an epiphany one day when he was playing hooky from work watching re-runs of Jerry Springer. The light went on - a new board was started. We say this ALL the time because it's vital to HOW MUCH you can enjoy this place - SKIP topics you don't have quality time for. I'm taking a break from the Loverboy stuff I've fed and perpetuated. It just exceeded my comprehension lately when people started talking puppets and an imaginary DA fan.

Here's what brings me back to this board daily, weekly, monthy and annually:

1) If I want Fantasy Football - I can join any or all of the 5-6 leagues it produced.

2) If I want to do the Pro Pick em Leagues - I can.

3) If I want news and ONLY news - I choose the topic I want to read.

4) If I want to talk college football - I can.

5) If I want to learn more about the draft - I've got Alo and others giving me the best stuff in existence.

6) If I had a tough day at work or the Junkyard Dawg (formerly known as the Warden) confuses me with rent a kid - I don't have to hold that stuff hostage. I just click on the subject that looks like moshpit potential and have some fun.

7) There's ALWAYS tons of info being exchanged on this board: Dan in Florida let's us know when the NFL Channel shows the next game and how to meetup in the Tavern. Meanwhile Shep is constantly feeding us info to discuss. You may not LIKE all his opinions but the guy delivers the mail without postage expenses every day.

8) You like tailgating? The LEADER of this board has introduced quite a few of us over the years and guys like Roach are invaluable to planning and facilitating each and every outing.

9) The board is GROWING and there's expenses the leader pays we never see or hear about.

10) Just out of curiosity - has anyone ever THANKED our Moderators in here for VOLUNTEERING their time and keeing this board from getting limp-wristed? I'm GLAD they ALLOW us to de-arm Steeler fan by ruining their fun with reminders of steroids and a False Glory non-fiction story. If that's too tough for other message boards - then it's just right for this one.

11) I visited other boards where they treat their members like little kids in the rules they live by. "Can everyone thank little Jimmy for blowing BOTH QBs? Can we get our 3 Amens to close the thread?" I was like WTF? I PROMISE that's more fantasy world than Loverboy's existence.

12) Above all, it's the SUM of outrageous loyal fanatics I share a common bond with. There's no better way to await this elusive journey to the promise land.

Hang in there man because we're just a couple weeks from opening kickoff.

- Tom F. (2009: The Browns are Ready to Kickoff & Kickass!)

Great post, Fluges.

I think of this place like an internet-world-version of Cheers. It's a place to hangout and shoot the breeze and enjoy the characters as much as the discussion.

And like any bar, there are going to be guys you don't like and wish weren't there or would just shut up. There's loud, know-it-all guys (the Cliffs) and there's annoying what-the-hell-are-you-doing-here? guys (the Frasiers) and though you might not want to hear those guys on certain days, they still make the place Cheers.

So, yeah, Lumbergh is annoying and may or may not be just a character (or caricature, which is more likely). So what? Many of us dip into character (and caricature) every once in a while ourselves. It's the INTERWEBS, man! It's just a twisted reflection of real life, not the actual real thing!

And like Tom said, the characters here is what makes this the ONLY board I visit: it's fun, and funny, and lively and always interesting.

So, yeah, Lum is a drag. In my vision of our Browns Board Cheers, he's the immature 20-something who stumbled into a really cool bar and desperately wants to fit in but only knows how to get attention by being annoying. Like a lot of people, he figures negative attention is better than no attention. Think of Cliff at age 27 before he figured out to cool it a little -- that's Lumbergh.

So, Mike, you -- and anyone else with wisdom and maturity -- should know that "this too shall pass". And once real football starts, Lum will either get onboard, follow DA when he's gone or piss off so many people who will be talking about BROWNS football and not just the QB that he'll eventually get booted.

In the meantime, relax, grab another beer and continue to laugh at our resident baby Cliff.

Guest TheJokersWILD
mz the pussy,

I like you and all but if you cant ignore one Retard you should take a break,I understand your point but he's a Retard why let him get under your skin?

I agree mz the pussy, take a break...browse though the Rock-N-Roll thread. I just posted a new topic in it ;) Whether we have a winning or losing record, this year is going to be exciting, I can't wait to see the new defense in action in the regular season. I just love the way Mangini is running this team right now, I want to see how this season plays out.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

We all have our distinct views on what's happened/what's going on.

I just urge the mods to think about how much better, win OR lose, reflecting/discussing/analyzing/preparing for the game would be without the aforementioned distraction. If this behavior happened in a bar, I think it's sage to say he'd be up shit's creek. Since I'm sure no real discussion is possible unless EVERYONE ignores it, I'm going to opt for enjoyng the football season insteadof having to argue with some troll who is not only NOT a fan of the team but gets inbetween us fans and our discussions.

I am on a couple of other message boards, and there is nothing that approximates Lumbergh. Not even close.

It frankly saddens me that Stan et al don't see it this way. It's shocking; it's a mystery to me. How much better of a place this is (the best), how much better the discussion and debate is and, call me a fag if you like, the comroderie/togetherness is without just ONE solitary asshat who isn't even a Browns fan. This isn't even a question in my mind. But I'm not the owner here, I'm merely a visitor, so I guess the owner wins out. Which is fine. The idea of keeping someone here who is detrimental to the quality of this place (this is not debatable) is a decision I'll never understand but will nevertheless abide by.

Archived