THE BROWNS BOARD

Current WR situation

Orion

On the team's page I see 4 WR's;  OBJ, DPJ, Higgins, Schwartz.  

Let's say OBJ doesn't play.  That leaves 3 WR's and Felton.  I know we throw a lot to the TE's, but I'm assuming that either Natson, Bradley or Davis has to come up from the PS.  I wouldn't even be surprised if it is Davis

DPJ's production has not transferred from the preseason to the regular season thus far.  Higgins has never really been a real big producer in games.  And Schwartz is a rookie that's capable of good and bad at this point.  The WR position is not what we thought it would be a month ago.

Definitely thinning out. I disagree on Higgins though. I feel like he’s always produced when called on and given a decent amount of snaps. I think the TE’s , Felton and even Hunt will see a lot more targets. I suppose they may call Davis up this week too as he did clear waivers and sign onto the practice squad. 

OBJ/ Schwartz/ DPJ / Higgins maybe the plan ... sprinkling of D. Felton.. The PS choice, today was to bring up DE Odenigbo... This favor's OBJ playing, pending his practice week..

Davis or Bradley will be brought up if OBJ is not ready...

when all this fails? blame Orion ;) 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

OBJ/ Schwartz/ DPJ / Higgins maybe the plan ... sprinkling of D. Felton.. T

when all this fails? blame Orion ;) 

Felton up the middle.  

I forget the current rule, was Davis allowed to be around the team during the week during his suspension?

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I forget the current rule, was Davis allowed to be around the team during the week during his suspension?

i did not know sum of this,

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/browns/browns-wr-davion-davis-suspended-2-games-for-violating-nfl-substance-abuse-policy Suspended 2 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy, forfeiting $86,666 in 2021 salary with Cleveland (CLE)   of a one year 780K contract

save your head from exploding 🤓...see last page 36/39..   https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/2020-Policy-and-Program-on-Substances-of-Abuse.pdf

• Thanks 1

He hasn't been able to practice since he was put on the suspended list, so if we activate anyone from the ps this week it is probably Bradley ...

Or maybe Natson, as he could take over kick returner roles as Peoples and Felton will have prominent roles in the offense. 

Z

So he was banned from the facility for one week.  That's not going to put him waay behind or anything.  The second week he couldn't practice in any way, shape or form but he could be at meetings and stuff.  Add a couple of days for being cut and clearing waivers.

Not as dire as it seems.

1. Landry will take it easy for a month and he’s back in the fold again - the time off allows us to develop some of the backups.  He’s back for the division games 

2. Schwartz looks okay we didn’t know too much about him this preseason and he had a very good game against KC.

3. Felton looks more than capable to fill into a short pass gaming role and cause opposing Defensive coordinators to gameplan each week for his presence.

4. OBJ back very soon.

5. DPJ and Hollywood have shown in the past that they are more than capable.

6. We can run three TE sets often.

7. We can run the ball often.

8. Last years depleted roster shows that we can survive without a HC, other key contributors and almost but not quite survive with an entire WR Corp. out.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

He can and likely will return this year. Going to IR means he has to miss a minimum of 3 games.

A related IR question that l don’t know the answer to… Can an IR designation be made retroactive like is done in baseball? For example, if OBJ cannot go for this next game, can they put him on IR retroactive to the first game of the season since he didn’t play in the first 2 games? This would mean he would be eligible to return after the third game. Or does the designation have to start when it’s declared, meaning he would miss the next 3 games as of the point he’s officially put on IR?

On 9/22/2021 at 8:18 AM, Zombo said:

Or maybe Natson, as he could take over kick returner roles as Peoples and Felton will have prominent roles in the offense. 

Felton has looked good on returns (at least I had that much right about him... the rest of my draft time take? not so much).

In fact I owe at least one someone around here an apology for clinging to his Pro day times, which were unremarkable. While I still do not see fast, his feet are quick. Was never more apparent than in the above mentioned TD run. Still not sure how he kept them away from a defender or two trying to trip him up from behind.

But yeah... on the whole he can't contribute on kick returns what he can in a spot play here and there on Offense... but when JoJo gives one up, then he's done, and I'm sending in Hunt for kick returns.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:44 PM, Ibleedbrown said:

A related IR question that l don’t know the answer to… Can an IR designation be made retroactive like is done in baseball? For example, if OBJ cannot go for this next game, can they put him on IR retroactive to the first game of the season since he didn’t play in the first 2 games? This would mean he would be eligible to return after the third game. Or does the designation have to start when it’s declared, meaning he would miss the next 3 games as of the point he’s officially put on IR?

The short answer is no retroactive IR... but help is on the way... He's baaacckkk!!!

https://www.nfl.com/news/odell-beckham-jr-browns-final-injury-report-expected-to-play-bears

PS- Hubbard and Taki out, Wills iffy.   

• Upvote 1