THE BROWNS BOARD

We have a QB (BQ)

Lollygagger

as much as some of you bq backers want this to be over..... I have a feeling its not.......

I have a feeling you aren't paying much attention.

I think Mangini has his decision, but we may not hear it until a few days before the opener. Whether it's Quinn or Anderson, we'll see, but Mangini is all about preparation and not deciding on a QB would go against how Mangini gets ready for games.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did...and took it with a grain of salt.

I don't think the plan is to yo-yo, or be quick about it...but points is the key for i assume Quinn.

Just my take on Quinn ...BQ is going to live and die with his 3rd down passing as we are going to be in 3rd and 4 after 3rd and 4 as he comes from the Tim Couch school of qbing..play it safe and short...and I am not saying that as a jab...it is just the way it is and it can work.

I expect to see Dawson kicking lot's of fieldgoals with BQ at the helm.

JMO

I think you are right until the Browns either have some of their WR's develop quickly or they add some more next offseason.

I know Quinn takes a lot of flack for the screen plays and for some, they think it helps them with their noodle-arm argument, but it's a great play to have when the opposition starts blitzing. He seems to know how to run that play efficiently. However, what he showed on the BE TD is that he will find guys open 20 yards down field if it's there. Most of the time, unlike DA, he isn't going to force it.

I don't think the plan is to yo-yo, or be quick about it...but points is the key for i assume Quinn.

Just my take on Quinn ...BQ is going to live and die with his 3rd down passing as we are going to be in 3rd and 4 after 3rd and 4 as he comes from the Tim Couch school of qbing..play it safe and short...and I am not saying that as a jab...it is just the way it is and it can work.

JMO

If that is the case and it very well could be then we wasted a pick and alot of time,DA could never have been considered the leader of a superbowl contender,if you think so your dilusional.

This all gets lost because of people I wont mention but we had this kind of division when it was frye or anderson AND THEY WERE BOTH SHIT!!!!

Lets raise the bar damnit and if Quinn sucks lets get the right guy but lets find out first,this isnt rocket science.

Folks,

How many starts has Quinn had? I say this because I HEARD Troy Aikmann on the Sporting News Night Radio Show last year saying that ALL QBs need the REPS to become who they are EXPECTED to be. This is a paraphrase of what Aikman said - "I was LUCKY I had Jimmy Johnson in my corner and that he was COMFORTABLE enough with his decision to draft me when countless Cowboys' fans wanted 1 or 2 more wins out of Steve Walsh in my first year. We went 1-15 but shortly thereafter I started to show progress and drop hints of whom I COULD be in my 2nd season of starts. It took me THREE years to get completely confortable being a starting QB in this league. I think the # of Superbowls we won proved JJ did the right thing by sticking with his gut." His point was to inform people that not everyone gets it as fast as Matt Ryan and QBs evolve at different rates.

Trust me when I say I would NOT have minded if DA progressed from his 2007 September and October. Trouble IS "after midnight he gonna let it all hang out." And he did, which is why we're constantly discussing the difference between hope and hopelessness.

If DA was REALLY the answer do we start out 28-10 losers, 10-6 losers and 28-10 losers for the early strike 3? We would lose another game 10-6 absolutely screaming BETTER Qbing required. And DA's remarkable regression led us to 3-6, which reminded me that September & October of 07 seemed like a really LONG time ago. We didn't fire the brass because the DA plan worked.

- Tom F.

JMO

We've been ending up in 3rd and 4s because of our garbage running game, not because of Brady dinking and dunking. Last night, Daboll calls for a Lewis run up the middle and then a fullback trap and we end up with 3rd and 7 as a result. This team won't run the ball consistently this year with that play-calling and those guys running the ball. It's time to take the training wheels off Davis.

By the way, the Tim Couch school of QB'ing means to throw for three yards on 3rd and 4 and for five yards on 3rd and six. Quinn's a bit smarter than that.

JMO

You're so full of shit on this one it makes me wonder if someone hijacked your account. Quinn is nothing like Couch, a QB who either threw it deep, dumped it off, or threw crossing patterns to KJ. Quinn has thrown plenty of really nice balls past 15 yds so far and with zip and accuracy. You don't see it? You're blind man.

Excuse me but WTF is wrong with 3rd and 4? I will take that all game long every Sunday. I think you meant get used to not seeing us in 3rd and 18 because DA can't run the offense.

None of your post made any sense. He is not dinking and dunking and he goes downfield pretty damn succssfully. Also, you're complaining about a screen pass that works????? DA sucked at them, BQ is great at them, and this disappoints you!

Wierd.

It was only "almost" a pick because he throws a 5yd pass like it's a 30yd pass. His own incompetence saved him from that pick.

You keep telling yourself that. It was a catchable pass that caught the defender off guard. Nobody is saying that wasn't a bad pass by DA, but this is the NFL, and everybody makes passes sometimes that they wish they could have back.

He didn't "trip a ref on accident." He was standing somewhere were HE WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE. But I guess it's the ref's fault for not looking out for DA. Funny that I've never seen a QB get a penalty while riding pine, yet DA managed to pull it off.

This was weird, but not a big deal, and it won't happen again. If that was Quinn, all you Quinn beaters would be rubbing your balls all over this thread saying how Quinn was being a great leader by taking interest in the game, or some ridiculous BS like that.

2 years ago against one of the weakest schedules in NFL history. Take out the first Cincy game, Miami, and St. Louis (3 of the worst teams in recent memory) and take another look at DA's stats and think about how many wins he "led" us to.

Well gee, even if you want to discount games that good teams prove their worth by winning consistently, then that would mean he led us to 7 wins. Isn't math great?

You don't see people subtracting easy wins off Tom Brady's resume, do you?

about the only thing you said that makes sense.

Your post reeks of ignorance and is one of the reasons why I rarely visit this board anymore. I personally am VERY happy to have a 1st round pick out of Notre Dame AND a Pro Bowl alternate QB on our roster.

Do us all a favor and don't return to posting until you finish humping Quinn's leg and formulate a realistic view of our quarterback situation.

One place DA will not be going as a starter is Washington. Jason Campbell had a good game. having said that, what is wrong with having DA as the backup ? I would rather have DA lead the team if Quinn goes down that Brett Ratliff, he still has miles to go.

It's proven...you need two Qb's in this league...we are in good shape. They were given a fair shot at it...it's time for BQ to step up and lead. If we suck....we should start the process over again and get a stafford, McCoy or sneed....

Yep. That opening pass by BQ into the dirt in front of the feet of the receiver was great.

Nice contribution.

Quinn went 7 for his next 8 after that throw with the lone incompletion being a throw away out of the back of the endzone.

JMO

I'm with Vegas on this one. 'peen for someone pining for balance on the debate you sure seem to have some type of axe to grind here.

We were in 3rd and 4 all night because we can't run the football. Quinn generally picked up the first down. That's a problem?

I love the "I expect to see Dawson..." comment too. Especially after saying you weren't taking a jab and jab-you-do in the very next sentence.

Quinn is the starting quarterback of the Browns and will remain so at least until the bye, after week 8. I think it's more likely he'll get the full season.

By the looks of last night, it's going to go a lot longer than just this full season. I know you are just talking about his grace period, but he looked like a true franchise QB to me last night.

I really hope that Quinn turns into our franchise QB. So far he has not shown that ability to me. Of course he really hasn't had the chance come to think of it! I think he will be named the starter, and should be, just to give him a chance. Well see when the games count. Hope he knocks me out with his performance and is the next Elway. I think that Anderson, while he did throw some good passes, always does seem to flip-flop. Go BQ, go Browns!

I hope you guys are right.

Right now, my guess is Dawson is going to be a top fantasy kicker.

I agree!

A lot of you might want to place Dawson at the top of your list, maybe even as a first rounder on your fantasy team.

It would be a shame to miss out on a good kicker.

The pieces of a complete quarterback are coming together in Quinn. He's shown he can go over the top, and he seems to have more RPMs this year, especially over the past two weeks. I don't know if he changed his grip

Grossi said Quinn's passes were loose for a lot of camp, then got prettier in the past 2-3 weeks. Weird... but good.

Yeah I've noticed is passes are tight and accurate rather than just getting there. He is in no way throws as well as DA, but he is more consistent and definitely spreads the ball around to all his receivers. Everyone gets involved.

But yeah he is throwing a much better ball. Could be he is reacting more than thinking?

The pieces of a complete quarterback are coming together in Quinn. He's shown he can go over the top, and he seems to have more RPMs this year, especially over the past two weeks. I don't know if he changed his grip

Grossi said Quinn's passes were loose for a lot of camp, then got prettier in the past 2-3 weeks. Weird... but good.

Yeah I've noticed is passes are tight and accurate rather than just getting there. He is in no way throws as well as DA, but he is more consistent and definitely spreads the ball around to all his receivers. Everyone gets involved.

But yeah he is throwing a much better ball. Could be he is reacting more than thinking?

I hope you guys are right.

Right now, my guess is Dawson is going to be a top fantasy kicker.

I hope this makes you feel better about it Ballpeen - here's 4 of the 9 starts from DA in 2008:

28-10 loss to Dallas

10-6 loss to Pitt

28-10 loss to Baltimore

10-6 loss to Indy (the Indy TD was their return of DA's fumble)

That's a sum of 2 TDs in 4 weeks so what do we stand to lose? Just think if we got the FG vrs Indy instead of a careless QB handing Indy 7 points.

- Tom F.

I thought Quinn showed more Zip than DA last night. The long ball to Edwards was a floater.

The long ball to Edwards was purposefully thrown with air under it by DA. It was a pretty good pass, and just looked like DA zigged when Edwards zagged on that ball. BE said as much in his post game comments.

DA's forte is throwing intermediate/long passes in rhythm. In that environment he's world class. Of that, there's never been a doubt.

Adam Schefter on ESPN says Quinn came in the favorite and he's, uh, even more the favorite now.

It's a short week before a scrub game. There's no reason to NOT name Quinn the starter tomorrow.

I agree, unless of course he plans on naming Quinn the starter tonight.

Guest birddog1
Adam Schefter on ESPN says Quinn came in the favorite and he's, uh, even more the favorite now.

It's a short week before a scrub game. There's no reason to NOT name Quinn the starter tomorrow.

I was watching sports center this morning and they had Trent Dilfer on. Maybe this was an old commentary by him, I don't know for sure. He said Anderson give the Browns the best chance to win right now and don't be surprised if DA is named the starter. I know Dilfer has a lot of hatred towards to Browns, but come on.

Archived