THE BROWNS BOARD

McDonald's strike

Westside Steve

So anybody that eats at McDonald's regularly here's a little heads up. First of all no doubt it's the 15 bucks an hour they want which most of them are probably getting anyway. And thanks to you Biden folders that 15 bucks will be about 7:50 thanks to inflation but that aside...

As far as the sexual harassment problem, which this is the first time I've heard about it, when was the last time you saw a McDonald's employee you really wanted to bone?

https://www.eatthis.com/news-mcdonalds-workers-in-at-least-ten-cities-will-be-walking-off-the-job-tomorrow/

WSS

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Supply and Demand

Labor is scarce

Scarce resources are valuable

Workers understand their value

COVID and the change to our labor landscape just accelerated the process

God, what did your professors do to your mind?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Supply and Demand

yes

Labor is scarce

yes

Scarce resources are valuable

temporarily

Workers understand their value

only in the short run

COVID and the change to our labor landscape just accelerated the process

yes it has but I don't personally think it's a good thing. Giving (some) people an excuse, even a bogus excuse to follow the path of least resistance...  

ironically they are opening the first Chipotle to operate with only a phone app in Cuyahoga Falls. So there will be a lot more $15 an hour grunts at home watching The View. Progress.

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

yes it has but I don't personally think it's a good thing. Giving (some) people an excuse, even a bogus excuse to follow the path of least resistance...  

ironically they are opening the first Chipotle to operate with only a phone app in Cuyahoga Falls. So there will be a lot more $15 an hour grunts at home watching The View. Progress.

WSS

Easy comments and observations to make from the outside looking in 

Our minimum wage should have been adjusted long ago. More power to these employees if they think this will get them there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Our minimum wage should have been adjusted long ago. More power to these employees if they think this will get them there. 

Taco Bell, McDonald's, and Dunkin' are raising prices. Here's how much more you're paying for coffee and food.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-mcdonalds-and-other-fast-food-chains-are-raising-prices-2021-7

Prices at fast-food chains will continue to rise as ingredients and labor grow more expensive.

Chipotle raised prices across its menu by about 4% in June, a move the company said was prompted by increased wages for workers.

The average Chipotle meal will cost $0.30 to $0.40 more than it did before, and a spokesperson told Insider that the price hike would compensate for the recent wage increases for workers. In April, the fast-casual chain said it would raise average hourly wages to $15 an hour by the end of June, an increase of $2 over the $13-an-hour average pay.

Nearly every fast-food and fast-casual chain will likely follow, analysts at Gordon Haskett said in a report released Thursday.

41 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Absolutely no different than yours Woody. But we are seeing it before our eyes. Live it or live with it

Whatever you say Woody. The minimum wage is around 15 bucks an hour in reality. If people won't work they won't work. And business will replace them with machines or close.

That's the reality from the inside or from the outside. WSS

34 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I work with everyone from low paid temp employees to well paid and skilled machinists, so I have some indirect exposure. I also have a handful of active projects to automate processes and reduce direct labor. I can tell you first hand it isn't as easy as it sounds. 

Not sure what your "in reality" is referring to when it comes to the minimum wage. Not sure your reality reflects actual reality. 

58 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I work with everyone from low paid temp employees to well paid and skilled machinists, so I have some indirect exposure. I also have a handful of active projects to automate processes and reduce direct labor. I can tell you first hand it isn't as easy as it sounds. 

I don't assume that anything is as easy as it sounds. But something that was impossible 20 years ago is coming place today I'm sure.

Not sure what your "in reality" is referring to when it comes to the minimum wage. Not sure your reality reflects actual reality. 

In reality just met I don't know of anywhere that is paying actual minimum wage. I feel the same about your reality. (And I don't mean the wage that tipped employees get.)

But, if you're serious about supply and demand, there should be no minimum wage.

WSS

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

glad somebody in your family owns a business - hope they do well.

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

So anybody that eats at McDonald's regularly here's a little heads up. First of all no doubt it's the 15 bucks an hour they want which most of them are probably getting anyway. And thanks to you Biden folders that 15 bucks will be about 7:50 thanks to inflation but that aside...

As far as the sexual harassment problem, which this is the first time I've heard about it, when was the last time you saw a McDonald's employee you really wanted to bone?

https://www.eatthis.com/news-mcdonalds-workers-in-at-least-ten-cities-will-be-walking-off-the-job-tomorrow/

WSS

67C9B4D3-54CC-44C7-AA9A-13DB5EDCC9B7.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

When I was young and in college and broke a buddy of mine put on suits and ties and went down to the Manpower office. Ironically we did not get selected.

Minuteman is pretty similar. 

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Minute-Men-Staffing/salaries

I don't see anything for 7.50 an hour.

WSS

None of those are "minimum wage jobs" though. 

33 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

One of my friends brothers was kicked out of the Navy on a Bad Conduct Discharge for having been caught with cocaine.  He couldn't get a job anywhere, finally got a manpower job where they paid daily I guess.  Guy was a total fuck up.  Anyway, first pay he got two of the other manpower workers who happened to be black, beat him up and stole his cash.

37 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So which of the temp jobs at your factory pay minimum wage? 750 an hour? I can't think of any fast food entry level job that starts at less than 13 or 15.

PS I think Warehouse associate or laborer would be at the bottom the wage scale

WSS

12 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

minimum wage = zero  -Thomas Sowell

Fair market value determines minimum wage.

How many people will line up for a job that pays $0? None.

How many will line up for a job that pays $7.00. Very few.

$14.00 ? a lot more.

You pay a wage that the market dictates.

It is no business of the government to tell two parties that agree on a salary what the wage "should really be".

That's like telling them you don't need to  go to school, you don't need to improve yourself...we will force the employer to pay a salary similar to a person who did do those things.

Like what a mechanical engineer earns.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Vambo said:

Who could have predicted this happening?

Which begs this question... When fast food restaurants no longer need human employees where else can people who haven't got their shit together well enough to work anywhere else find jobs?

Hey maybe if they all get free college degrees they can find a gig in hotel housekeeping?

WSS