THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Trivisonno

It was the era of three-channel black and white TV and AM radio dominating the airwaves. It was kids with little transistor radios under their pillows at night. We’d listen to games or perhaps rock and roll on old “WIXY, 1260, SUPER RADIO!” It was radio stations blasting away with the likes of Larry “The Duke” Morrow while teenagers ate burgers and fries at places like the Red Barn and Bearden’s.

man that was me ... Terry Pluto is a treasure as well  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 6:21 AM, FairHooker11 said:

It was the era of three-channel black and white TV and AM radio dominating the airwaves. It was kids with little transistor radios under their pillows at night. We’d listen to games or perhaps rock and roll on old “WIXY, 1260, SUPER RADIO!” It was radio stations blasting away with the likes of Larry “The Duke” Morrow while teenagers ate burgers and fries at places like the Red Barn and Bearden’s.

Beardens was freaking awesome but do you remember who Jean Bearden was Cleveland Indians relief pitcher back in the trash 60s I suppose it would be a baby he bounced around the league a lot but yeah I remember Beardens drive-in and classic diner served one of the first double meat burgers I can remember ever having and I was good stuff is really yeah give me good burgers good fries get shakes your three predominant food groups.

but what really brought me to this thread was the mention of Lexi 1260 I have a compilation album they put out with wishy 1260 super oldies including the theme that they played all the time about super oldies I’m sure there’s audio somewhere well I have it I can post it on YouTube eventually I’m still working on getting a couple turntables up and running at this point to turntables and a microphone.  

this is the kind of stuff that really makes me smile smile and be right now with maybe just a hint of do in the corner of one or the other kind of the left die at this point. 

two other inputs the red barn sucked ass once got halfway through one of their hotdogs threw the other half in the trashcan right by the entrance and then proceeded to reproduce the half that I had eaten right on top of the half I just thrown away it was around seven I think that’s a quality control that’s up to the customers. 
as for Wixie DJs I remember a little bit alert about Larry Morrow but the obvious when was the morning drive time guy that I’ve ate breakfast 24 years Mike Renaldi I believe his name and he was good just wish he was our local low powered a.m. station and then there was a monster coming out of Detroit to the Motown played all the Motown and stuff have a broadcast antenna across the border in Canada where they could do something fun wattage more it was like 100,000 white tower which I think the states are limited to like 50 at the time and I think Wixie had about 1200 maybe yeah what a little Podunk radio station will they play the music play the music.

• Like 1

I know you are using speech to text and I am glad you are well on your recovery. I was a kid too young to drive back then - so going to Beardens wasnt in the picture.

But the Red Barn down the street was!

I too, love cleveland history from the radio side of things - and recall the name Mike Renari - I think the afternoon drive time guy?

Another guy Chuck Knapp - from his FB page also worked in Twin Cities radio had a lot of recollections of his time with WIXY 1260.

They had a reunion show I guess this past summer that Larry Morrow hosted. All good stuff

Chuck Knapp recalled Mike Renari as Uncle Mike - and  sadly from what I learned he has since passed.

Its good to have a hobby and recording stuff for YouTube like you spoke of would be a great diversion and time filler!

Its a long ways from (back then) recording radio onto a small  portable cassette deck that replaced our small transistor radios? 😉

2 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

My older brother was too cool for WIXY though - choosing of course WMMS FM

Generational.

In the days before aor those of us that listened to pop music swore by whichever one of our top 40 AM stations we followed. In this area it was between WHLO & WCUE.

WSS

On 10/30/2021 at 7:21 AM, FairHooker11 said:

And CKLW in Windsor, Canada came thru load and clear where I lived.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Sorry... who was you? Agree on TP...wie

11 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

My older brother was too cool for WIXY though - choosing of course WMMS FM

That came later... in the 70s. Either MMS or NCR whjichever one employed Billy Bass at the time. Fantastic DJ with great ear for new artists... Responsible for Bowie debuting his Ziggy tour in the land... and I was there. :D

Anyone remember the call letters of the Detroit Motown station with the 100k tower across the border in Windsor? Can't quite ring it up... and it is pissin' me off...

6 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Even in the basement? :)Ah.. dare it be...

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

have some cousins in Kitchener  - more near Toronto. 

yea, (back then) I only had an AM transistor and can only remember WIXY WHK WKYC (and WJW that I think did the Indians games?)