THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Aren't Conservatives Funny?

MLD Woody

Don't expect the bulk of the regulars to watch this (also a long watch), but someone else may find it interesting. 

Breaks down comedy across both sides pretty well and shows a lot of things that we (I) see here. 

We'll see how much the subsequent posts in this thread help prove the point in the video..

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Don't expect the bulk of the regulars to watch this (also a long watch), but someone else may find it interesting. 

Breaks down comedy across both sides pretty well and shows a lot of things that we (I) see here. 

We'll see how much the subsequent posts in this thread help prove the point in the video..

You obviously haven’t been watching SNL over the last 20 years or so.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I have to agree with you here Woody. There are some really funny liberals even if they're overbearing assholes a lot of the time. Jon Stewart Bill Maher and John Oliver come to mind. On the other hand Trevor Noah Jimmy Kimmel and most of the Saturday Night Live political sketches sketches suck. As great as he was for most of his active career George Carlin took a drop in his last few years. So did Lenny Bruce but for other reasons. I don't watch much of him but I've seen a very few funny bits from Greg Gutfeld. 

I really really wish somebody would bring back the Dennis Miller panel show.

But I wish for a lot of s***. 

WSS

49 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I have to agree with you here Woody. There are some really funny liberals even if they're overbearing assholes a lot of the time. Jon Stewart Bill Maher and John Oliver come to mind. On the other hand Trevor Noah Jimmy Kimmel and most of the Saturday Night Live political sketches sketches suck. As great as he was for most of his active career George Carlin took a drop in his last few years. So did Lenny Bruce but for other reasons. I don't watch much of him but I've seen a very few funny bits from Greg Gutfeld. 

I really really wish somebody would bring back the Dennis Miller panel show.

But I wish for a lot of s***. 

WSS

If anyone gets through the whole video there are examples provided of conservative comedians that are funny 

I also can't stand most of late night. Every now and then there's a bit I see online that's funny, but rarely. The Colbert Report was great so I followed him over to the Late Show. It just got so old so fast. Every joke was about Trump sucking. It just stopped being funny quickly. No new material. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

If anyone gets through the whole video there are examples provided of conservative comedians that are funny 

I watched quite a bit oh, maybe I need to go back and see the last half.

I also can't stand most of late night. Every now and then there's a bit I see online that's funny, but rarely. The Colbert Report was great so I followed him over to the Late Show. It just got so old so fast. Every joke was about Trump sucking. It just stopped being funny quickly. No new material. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Okay Woodrow, I watched the whole thing. I really did. I was, from my theater training, impressed by the fluidity of his presentation. That's not easy. Charisma, on the other hand I thought was just a little bit lacking. Didn't he seem a little bit shrill and annoying to you? Kind of the way Dennis Miller seems to some people I guess. Now I guess if we were to have a long drawn-out conversation about this whole video I would have to go back watch it step-by-step and take notes which I don't really have the address for the time. I did kind of enjoy it but I have been wondering if this guy's self-awareness is completely absent or if he's making an Andy Kaufman joke. It seemed to me that probably 90% of this was hammering away at the people who aren't in lockstep with his political views. I also think the entire thing completely missed the difference between liberal and conservative humor. Some of the conservative comedians he mentioned don't talk much about politics at all. As in the blue-collar tour. Almost every liberal comedian seems to spend their time, like this guy, attacking the people on the right that they hate.

There is a Sirius XM station the features wholesome comedians some of which are like Southern Baptist who jest about their own religion. Actually kind of cute once in awhile. But they're not basically talking about the bugaboos of either political party. More like funny things people do at church or around the dinner table or whatever. Anyway just so you know I did watch it.

WSS

Plus am I the only one thinking this guy should invest in a comb?

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Okay Woodrow, I watched the whole thing. I really did. I was, from my theater training, impressed by the fluidity of his presentation. That's not easy. Charisma, on the other hand I thought was just a little bit lacking. Didn't he seem a little bit shrill and annoying to you? Kind of the way Dennis Miller seems to some people I guess. Now I guess if we were to have a long drawn-out conversation about this whole video I would have to go back watch it step-by-step and take notes which I don't really have the address for the time. I did kind of enjoy it but I have been wondering if this guy's self-awareness is completely absent or if he's making an Andy Kaufman joke. It seemed to me that probably 90% of this was hammering away at the people who aren't in lockstep with his political views. I also think the entire thing completely missed the difference between liberal and conservative humor. Some of the conservative comedians he mentioned don't talk much about politics at all. As in the blue-collar tour. Almost every liberal comedian seems to spend their time, like this guy, attacking the people on the right that they hate.

There is a Sirius XM station the features wholesome comedians some of which are like Southern Baptist who jest about their own religion. Actually kind of cute once in awhile. But they're not basically talking about the bugaboos of either political party. More like funny things people do at church or around the dinner table or whatever. Anyway just so you know I did watch it.

WSS

Plus am I the only one thinking this guy should invest in a comb?

First of all, I appreciate you watching it all. 

So the guy is obviously playing a character, and not everyone is going to like it. He was one of the main guys over at Cracked for a while, so that probably ties in to the presentation style. 

This guy is literally doing a political show, of course he is talking about politics. I wouldn't expect the Blue Collar Tour to talk about politics because that's not the point. But the breakdown of why a joke is funny or not I thought was interesting. I also agree with the points made for why something like the Babylon Bee just really isn't funny. And I do think there is a difference to a comedian setting out to do comedy through satire and making fun of the current system, and that being perceived as liberal, compared to a conservative setting out to do humor that specifically supports and pushes conservative ideals. Don't get me wrong, that happens on the left too, but it seems like it is a much higher percentage on the right.

He did show some examples of Christian humor. Hell, I didn't know the Babylon Bee started as a Christian "The Onion" the poked fun at megachurches as stuff. Which deserve satire and ridicule. I'm sure the new ownership saw where the money is and leaned hard into the grift (which is my biggest issue with most modern day conservative media people). 

See the source image

Every once in awhile, browsing 4chan, you come across an intelligent post. I can't stomach John Oliver, and couldn't put my finger on why. This post helped me understand why I thought he was such a slimeball.

Anyways, regarding the video. People who consider themselves comedians because they specifically attack one side of the political spectrum tend to be not funny at all. The worst part about it is that people with no sense of humor are now characterizing actual funny people like Dave Chappelle and Norm MacDonald for making fun of targets that humorists and satirists shouldn't be allowed to pursue. The state of comedy is quite pathetic right now. 

7 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

See the source image

Every once in awhile, browsing 4chan, you come across an intelligent post. I can't stomach John Oliver, and couldn't put my finger on why. This post helped me understand why I thought he was such a slimeball.

You actively browse 4chan?

1 hour ago, VaporTrail said:

Yep. It's an unfiltered and uncensored newsfeed full of shit with the occasional diamond. Worth it for the occasional diamond. Beyond that, news usually gets there before it hits mainstream social media. 

To each his own I guess. I wouldn't want to wade through all of that shit (understatement), but if you can keep a sane mind doing it then more power to you. 

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

First of all, I appreciate you watching it all. 

So the guy is obviously playing a character, and not everyone is going to like it.

every comedian plays a character. That's part of the gig. I bet Rodney Dangerfield does occasionally get some respect. I bet Henny Youngman's wife is it really that bad. I don't expect Moe Howard actually beats his brother. Etc etc

He was one of the main guys over at Cracked for a while, so that probably ties in to the presentation style. 

I'm not too familiar with Cracked videos besides the series with an old man named Rodger asking if so and so we're honest. They are okay sometimes.

This guy is literally doing a political show, of course he is talking about politics.

yes he is. So what is Dennis Miller so is Greg Gutfeld so is Bill Maher. But they're also comedians. Like Mort Sahl.

I wouldn't expect the Blue Collar Tour to talk about politics because that's not the point.

but he made that point when he was to them under conservative comedians. He also completely missed the point of the Ron White bit on homosexuality. I love Ron White and I've heard that joke on video and live. It's not a political joke.

But the breakdown of why a joke is funny or not I thought was interesting.

yes it was. But funny is subjective. Like whether or not chocolate tastes better than maple sugar. He hates Dennis Miller I love Dennis Miller whether he's talking politics or not. Yes he talks politics mostly now. Maybe I like him because I agree with his particular take on most political issues.

I also agree with the points made for why something like the Babylon Bee just really isn't funny.

sure but again point of view matters. And no I don't think the Babylon bee is great. Once in awhile I find a bit humorous. Same with Saturday Night Live. But mostly?

And I do think there is a difference to a comedian setting out to do comedy through satire and making fun of the current system, and that being perceived as liberal, compared to a conservative setting out to do humor that specifically supports and pushes conservative ideals. Don't get me wrong, that happens on the left too, but it seems like it is a much higher percentage on the right.

Mayby. That's the deal with political humor. For instance even when I agree with Bill Maher the clip always, and I mean always, takes a cheap shot at Trump.

He did show some examples of Christian humor. Hell, I didn't know the Babylon Bee started as a Christian "The Onion" the poked fun at megachurches as stuff.

I didn't either. But I'm not a huge fan of the bee so it's just something I didn't know.

Which deserve satire and ridicule.

sure, don't we all? But we can discuss those in another thread.

I'm sure the new ownership saw where the money is and leaned hard into the grift (which is my biggest issue with most modern day conservative media people). 

only conservative? Come on man. Comedy is on TV we're on the internet to make money. Also one point I thought was completely off the mark like many of his points oh, was the fact that when people say Blazing Saddles or Animal House couldn't be made today. He explained that away as that public tastes have changed. And that is complete BS. I don't know if you've seen Animal House or Blazing Saddles. If you have let me ask you, you are a lot more woke that I am but were you offended by them? Are you offended by Dave Chappelle? And by the way Louis C K was by no means a conservative. He may have been kinky he may have been a perv but in my opinion he produced some of the highest quality comedy I've seen and it was almost never political. So I would ask anybody that criticizes him if they watched him before the revelation or not? And if so did they think he was hilarious before that? Also I think Stephen Colbert is a talented guy. I do think his show like many other late night shows have just boiled down drilling Trump. Not that there isn't humor in that but every f****** night the SOS. But at the end of the day this entire thread is liberal or conservative political comedy. That's kind of a genre unto itself.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

This just came across my Google feed. It's not particularly and it's not really really funny but I thought it was really well acted.

WSS

She's good. I've seen stuff by her that's pretty funny.

Ryan George does a similar style of comedy. He has a personal YouTube channel and also a series on ScreenRant called Pitch Meeting, which makes fun of movies and you might enjoy it. 

• Thanks 1