THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Patriots

Orion

…......... Rush / G   Pass / G   Sack Run D / G   Pass D / G   Sack Give/Take
Browns 160 1st 236 21st 25th 85 5th 225 13th 2nd 0
Patriots 107 15th 254 10th 13th 109 15th 231 16th 13th

+2

Bill Belichick looks at these stats and says, "#1 rushing team, 21st ranked passing team.  I'll take away their run and make them beat us with the pass."  He's a pig-headed sum-bitch.  He will load up and stop the run with everything he's got, 12 guys in the box if he has to.  ;)   And on offense, if he finds a play that works, he will run that thing until you learn how to stop it.  So you'd better figure out how to stop it, and fast.  

The Patriots have a fairly balanced offense.   Top 10 in passing with their rookie QB.  And they're respectable at protecting their new QB.  But we have to disrespect that.  Myles & Co. have to rattle the rookie.  Last week we dialed up some exotic blitzes.  You know Bill has studied that tape.  Perhaps he'll try to run the ball down our 5th ranked throats.  

Mac Jones has done a nice job for them so far in his rookie season.  And we've taken quite a hit on offense this week, losing Chubb and Felton.  It's gotta be D'Ernest.  He's gotta find holes, be productive and stay ding-free all game long.  And without Felton, that just leaves us with the 4 WR's, and Ja'Marcus Bradley, whom they just elevated from the PS.  He most probably won't see the field unless somebody gets hurt.  

This will not be like the Bengals.  The Patriots D is much better than Cincy's.  Although the stats show them as middle of the league, they've got a pretty good D.  

This is an AFC playoff contending rival of ours this year.  We cannot lose to them and award them a tiebreaker.  We cannot fall to 500.  It's a Must Win.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Orion said:

This is an AFC playoff contending rival of ours this year.  We cannot lose to them and award them a tiebreaker.  We cannot fall to 500.  It's a Must Win.

With losses to the Steelers, Chargers, and Chiefs already, what do you think the Browns need to go down the stretch to make the playoffs?

I'm thinking it could be 6-2, to go 11-6 for the season. 

That's a tall order for a schedule as tough as they have. 

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

With losses to the Steelers, Chargers, and Chiefs already, what do you think the Browns need to go down the stretch to make the playoffs?

That's a tall order for a schedule as tough as they have. 

Definitely tough but it is what it is. Pretty obvious the Browns path probably lies in the division games...with 4 of those left they need 3 Ws there for sure. Laying an egg against Pitt really stunk 2 weeks ago. The Cincy game last week shocked me, I didn't see that coming at all.

The AFC is so tight. I'm looking forward to this NE game, although the last 2 Browns trips up there weird stuff happened. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't know if we can even afford 2 more losses.  Losing at home to the Steelers really hurt.  I think that our chances of playoffs are slim with games against the Ravens remaining.  But we certainly cannot afford a loss this week to the Patriots.

10 hours ago, Orion said:
…......... Rush / G   Pass / G   Sack Run D / G   Pass D / G   Sack Give/Take
Browns 160 1st 236 21st 25th 85 5th 225 13th 2nd 0
Patriots 107 15th 254 10th 13th 109 15th 231 16th 13th

+2

Bill Belichick looks at these stats and says, "#1 rushing team, 21st ranked passing team.  I'll take away their run and make them beat us with the pass."  He's a pig-headed sum-bitch.  He will load up and stop the run with everything he's got, 12 guys in the box if he has to.  ;)   And on offense, if he finds a play that works, he will run that thing until you learn how to stop it.  So you'd better figure out how to stop it, and fast.  

The Patriots have a fairly balanced offense.   Top 10 in passing with their rookie QB.  And they're respectable at protecting their new QB.  But we have to disrespect that.  Myles & Co. have to rattle the rookie.  Last week we dialed up some exotic blitzes.  You know Bill has studied that tape.  Perhaps he'll try to run the ball down our 5th ranked throats.  

Mac Jones has done a nice job for them so far in his rookie season.  And we've taken quite a hit on offense this week, losing Chubb and Felton.  It's gotta be D'Ernest.  He's gotta find holes, be productive and stay ding-free all game long.  And without Felton, that just leaves us with the 4 WR's, and Ja'Marcus Bradley, whom they just elevated from the PS.  He most probably won't see the field unless somebody gets hurt.  

This will not be like the Bengals.  The Patriots D is much better than Cincy's.  Although the stats show them as middle of the league, they've got a pretty good D.  

We will drill these guys.

Z

44 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

GIFs Uncle buck Drilling John candy GIF   Hey ! is that John Candy ?  image.jpeg.be49e7d7da53d565c4b0da09c45161ac.jpeg   or the un-bearded Blake Hance ?

We do need a "Guy Named Blake" appreciation thread. He's a guard that was on the streets for the holidays that year, and he has filled in admirably at both tackle spots. He'll probably get a contract to be our #1 backup going forward if he keeps it up.

Z

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Key for Us…

1. Myles dominating his matchup vs. Trent Brown or Isaiah Wynn.  Big advantage us. The chess match will play out …Bill knows this so he will gameplan for it. Screens/Chips/Roll away from him.  McDowell and Clowney are going to have a big chance this game to beat their guys.  

2. Establishing the run so playaction works.  Bill tries to take away what you do best but if we can get 4/5 yards a pop we can beat their secondary.  3 and 8 with empty sets I don’t trust Baker to get the job done in that scenario.  Our line right now is riding high…two big extensions…they know this front office loves them…they are gonna come out ready. 

3. Covering the flats and accounting for the check down.  I feel better with JOK back…Walker or Wilson and this would be a long day.  Hallmark of the Patriot offense and hallmark with any young QB…easy throws.  We need to be in the same area code as these easy throws and minimize YAC

4. Winning coverage battle early.  Joe Woods you played man last week facing a better WR Corp. our DBs need to be in the Patriots grills.  They don’t do anything flashy on offense. It is Jacobi Myers in the slot beating the slot corner early and moving chains.  Hill was great…he’s gotta do it again. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

You are on the money 99% of the time.  I think this is the other time. 

Signs of Doctors giving me a week of bed rest with  Hydrocodine with Muscle relaxer  🙃... With any steroid needle luck @2:30 today? I got to get out of the house & get back to work..

staying Looney tuned 🤓

image.jpeg.d6dda6ca8af670f7ff7a17474a3113c8.jpegGIFs Uncle buck Drilling John candy GIF   Drill'em

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Orion said:

Couple of observations...  The difference between being #10 in passing and #23 is 18 yards per game... I'll call that one statistically insignificant. Especially since the only teams with more rushing attempts than the Browns are the Cardinals and Titans. If Chubb can't go, I do wonder what in the heck the Browns can do to spell Johnson.  

Yes Mac Jones IS having a nice year- for a rookie...  But take a look at who they've played... A collection of bottom feeders. Jets- twice. Dolphins. Texans. Only had 139 yards passing against the Panthers- didn't need to do much, as Sam Darnold was actively gifting the game to them.  Only decent team they've beaten is the Chargers.

I'll disagree that the Patriots defense is that much better than the Bengals.  But another must win game for the Browns? Yup- losing to the Steelers gives us very little margin for error- or losses.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Definitely tough but it is what it is. Pretty obvious the Browns path probably lies in the division games...with 4 of those left they need 3 Ws there for sure. Laying an egg against Pitt really stunk 2 weeks ago. The Cincy game last week shocked me, I didn't see that coming at all.

The AFC is so tight. I'm looking forward to this NE game, although the last 2 Browns trips up there weird stuff happened. 

The promising thing is that while 6-2 vs the remaining schedule sounds daunting, I feel pretty good about the Browns winning the next two.

4-2 in the last six sounds way easier. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I don't know if we can even afford 2 more losses.  Losing at home to the Steelers really hurt.  I think that our chances of playoffs are slim with games against the Ravens remaining.  But we certainly cannot afford a loss this week to the Patriots.

If the Browns lose this Sunday vs the Patriots, their path to the playoffs gets treacherous. 

I mean, three remaining games vs the Steelers and Ravens and a road game on Christmas Day in Green Bay ain't no joke. 

before Friday's Practice...

Bill must want to win on this too.. Good to see Greedy working it out.. Need ya DPJ & #95 !

I get that Chubb is OUT  (opps! not official).. Does D. Felton or John Kelly have any chance of activating from Covid list? New RB Brian Hill is sitting on PS

stay tuned 

Let's Be nice...Ashley is a new writer (& free)... Pats RB's aren't healthy either.. Patriots defense is my bother...   

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-defense-could-have-huge-advantage-in-run-game-against-patriots.html

• Thanks 1

If Chubb and Felton can't play....

I wonder how much we will see Janovich..........

he isn't just a blocking fullback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Janovich

I expect some cool surprises by the Browns....

and a win.

Because I bet a huge Patriot fan (still, after "pretty" Tom Brady left for the Bucs) in North Carolina that the Browns would win.

A best friend's daughter - she lives there...... she laughed and made the bet.

so, it's ON. But I can afford to pay up a dollar if the refs throw the game. LOL

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

before Friday's Practice...

Bill must want to win on this too.. Good to see Greedy working it out.. Need ya DPJ & #95 !

I get that Chubb is OUT.. Does D. Felton or John Kelly have any chance of activating from Covid list? New RB Brian Hill is sitting on PS

stay tuned 

Let's Be nice...Ashley is a new writer (& free)... Pats RB's aren't healthy either.. Patriots defense is my bother...   

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/browns-defense-could-have-huge-advantage-in-run-game-against-patriots.html

Are you breaking news on TBB?

No one else has reported Chubb out.

Z

On 11/11/2021 at 4:40 AM, Orion said:

I know we don’t seem to scheme up anything well against Lamar…but the Ravens are very vulnerable this year…to the point where I can see a Steeleresque kind of slide. 

21 hours ago, Zombo said:

Are you breaking news on TBB?

No one else has reported Chubb out.

Z

You take Sally..I'll take Sue.. There is no difference between the 2 🤓

This is why i need to go to Theropy at 10am... 🤣

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/article255736506.html  I like your local papers positives more than ours

Physically I seem better... But that damm HydroCodine?  gotta go/

See ya...🚴‍♂️ 🏋️‍♂️

On 11/12/2021 at 9:25 AM, gumby73 said:

Physically I seem better... But that damm HydroCodine?  gotta go/

See ya...🚴‍♂️ 🏋️‍♂️

I'm headed back to work today :D... Gumby will be reporting in as Questionable also ....(update in Barber Shop)

Friday Game Status..

Browns will be without RBs Nick Chubb, Demetric Felton and John Kelly on Sunday. Patriots are listing RBs Damien Harris (OUT/Saturday) and Rhamondre Stevenson *questionable. Neither practiced at all this week because of concussions.
  • Thanks 1

Browns cut Andrew Billings.

JOK and MJ Stewart activated from IR.

Covid elevations: CB Herb Miller, WR JoJo Natson, FB Johnny Stanton.

Standard elevation: RB Brian Hill.
  • Thanks 2