THE BROWNS BOARD

Vapor

Westside Steve

Because you have some familiarity with medical establishments and mandates give me your thoughts and or Insight on this. Should a pregnant woman be forced to get the vaccine or lose her job? Are there real world accommodations made for this? Even if she's willing to take it after the child is delivered?

WSS

1 - I don't think anyone should be coerced into an unwanted medical procedure for ANY reason. I don't think that there is any way to ethically justify it. 

2 - I don't know. If she's working for any medical facility, then they get paid via CMS. The CMS mandate is strong arming all of these organizations into capitulation with their fines for non-compliance. I can empathize with the employers who have no option but to fire the non-compliant employees or shut down the whole hospital and be out of a job. As far as I know, there is no exception made for pregnant women, but I honestly haven't looked into this question. 

3 - A kidney is a relatively simple organ, but when it's transplanted, it requires a consistent regimen of immunosuppressants to keep the recipient's body from rejecting the organ. A liver or a lung are much more complicated organs, and those transplants require more stringent immunosuppression. A developing fetus has all of the above organs, and as a result, all pregnant females are considerably immunosuppressed as part of the natural pregnancy process. I personally think it's batshit to take the second dose of that vaccine and the extensive immune response it provokes if you are with child. Granted, if you get COVID in your 2nd or 3rd trimester, you are likely in for an awful time and risking miscarriage, premature labor, and/or maternal death. This is a scary choice to make for any expectant mother.  If I was pregnant when the vaccines came out, I'd just quarantine myself as much as I could for 2nd and 3rd trimester, and then get the vaccine afterwards. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

1 - I don't think anyone should be coerced into an unwanted medical procedure for ANY reason. I don't think that there is any way to ethically justify it. 

2 - I don't know. If she's working for any medical facility, then they get paid via CMS. The CMS mandate is strong arming all of these organizations into capitulation with their fines for non-compliance. I can empathize with the employers who have no option but to fire the non-compliant employees or shut down the whole hospital and be out of a job. As far as I know, there is no exception made for pregnant women, but I honestly haven't looked into this question. 

3 - A kidney is a relatively simple organ, but when it's transplanted, it requires a consistent regimen of immunosuppressants to keep the recipient's body from rejecting the organ. A liver or a lung are much more complicated organs, and those transplants require more stringent immunosuppression. A developing fetus has all of the above organs, and as a result, all pregnant females are considerably immunosuppressed as part of the natural pregnancy process. I personally think it's batshit to take the second dose of that vaccine and the extensive immune response it provokes if you are with child. Granted, if you get COVID in your 2nd or 3rd trimester, you are likely in for an awful time and risking miscarriage, premature labor, and/or maternal death. This is a scary choice to make for any expectant mother.  If I was pregnant when the vaccines came out, I'd just quarantine myself as much as I could for 2nd and 3rd trimester, and then get the vaccine afterwards. 

Yes my friend's daughter is almost due. Scared to death and perfectly willing to take the stupid shot after she delivers the baby. I try to be moderate about the whole thing but this particular case I think forcing her at this point would be completely unconscionable. Thanks for the insight.

WSS

• Upvote 1