THE BROWNS BOARD

Play calling

luke8878

I'm no football genius, or some offensive wizard. What happened to the moving pocket and play action? All I heard about Stefanski's offense last year when he was coming in was how he loves tight ends and play action passes and moving the pocket. Maybe I'm missing it, and someone can explain it to me. But I'm just not seeing it. I do see the screens to the tight ends, they always seem to go for big gains, but we never go back to it. I remember last year the second game of the season baker off play action then rolled out and hit OBJ for I can't remember a 56 yd TD. That's about the only time I remember it. Where are these play actions and moving pockets and can we stop with the 5 wide set. I can't remember last time we had a completion with 5 wide. 

1 hour ago, luke8878 said:

I'm no football genius, or some offensive wizard. What happened to the moving pocket and play action? All I heard about Stefanski's offense last year when he was coming in was how he loves tight ends and play action passes and moving the pocket. Maybe I'm missing it, and someone can explain it to me. But I'm just not seeing it. 

2018, the Browns used play action on 21.8 percent of Mayfield’s dropbackswhich ranked 25th. But it was notable that he completed 65.7 percent of his passes out of it, a small bump of 2.5 percent over non-play action plays.

2019 Mayfield saw more play action, up to 28.7 percent of his dropbacks, and he was second in the league with a 10.1 percent increase in his completion percentage on play action vs. non-play action. Not only that, Mayfield completed 66.5 percent of his play-action passes.

2020 Mayfield used play action on 30.1 percent of his dropbacks last season, ranked 11th. And again, his completion percentage continued to climb, hitting 66.9 percent in the regular season.

I'm not sure what the percentages are this year, but if you've somehow missed the ball action game being prevalent, then you need pay a bit more attention.

Not related, but I would like to see more plays like Landry taking a direct snap. Why not have Felton take a direct snap with Chubb in the backfield and Schwartz in motion threatening a jet sweep. It would be nice to see them mix it up a little  to keep them guessing.

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Not related, but I would like to see more plays like Landry taking a direct snap. Why not have Felton take a direct snap with Chubb in the backfield and Schwartz in motion threatening a jet sweep. It would be nice to see them mix it up a little  to keep them guessing.

Jarvis absolutely…. he can throw the football and it appeared the Lions respected that.

Im not a big proponent of the Wild cat though it is either run left or run right with Felton back there and as soon as I see Chubb and Felton back there I’m creeping my safeties up 

seemed like Kevin tried to mix a few things up, with Felton sharing a few reps from D'Ernest.. There was at no time the Kareem Hunt series of reps to give Chubb a set off was equal.. 

Kareem Hunt has missed Cards(injured) /Broncos/Pitts./Bengals/Pats/Lions...... this offense needs it's Rocket 🚀 back & the shot in the as$ he gives this offense.. no better time than now..    

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hx214 said:

I'd like to see 3rd and short lining up with a FB and running Nick down their throats. But we see Felton running it or 5 WR's...

I wonder if the Browns think situations like this is a weakness of Chubb's. 

I wonder this because it's Hunt who usually is in down by the goal line. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hunt has that strange slash style way of running that seems to excel at cutting through even the smallest of holes for a few yards.

But Chubb can break tackles too and push piles. 

I just don't understand keeping a FB on the roster an never using the power run game in those situations. 

12 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Hunt has that strange slash style way of running that seems to excel at cutting through even the smallest of holes for a few yards.

But Chubb can break tackles too and push piles. 

I just don't understand keeping a FB on the roster an never using the power run game in those situations. 

Especially considering you have an absolute mauler in Wyatt Teller to run behind too... 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I’m sure they know the strengths of each.  There is very little if any weaknesses in either games. 

Chubb seems to do a fair bit of “assessment”.  There is Pause to his game and waiting for guards to latch onto the second level.  When Stefanski came over with the wide zone scheme - I figured his patient vision in that scheme would suit the Browns well.  Chubb is better in our scheme 

Hunt is the better short yardage back.  He’s the hammer. He’s gonna make a guy miss run over the second guy and fall forward for another yard.  If it is 4th and 1 with a playoff birth on the line I’m running with Hunt behind Bitonio.  The skill/attitude/will in those situations is off the charts.

The misconception is Hunt is the receiving back. I think Chubb does pretty well on screens and getting the ball out in the flat and getting positive yards 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:17 AM, Dutch Oven said:

wonder if the Browns think situations like this is a weakness of Chubb's. 

I don't see how they think it does considering one of Chubb's strengths is making the first defender miss. I think it's just Stefanski out coaching himself. He has done that a couple of times this year.

Should we move on to the defensive side ?

Defensive Lapses ?

Sure...we've seen them. As all team units are in flux to roster changes for several reasons . Just as most teams have 👀

Here's a good starting view, where I've enjoyed viewing this fans perspective... with a tad on Lamar chasing.. Enjoy! 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-cleveland-browns-2021-defense-identity-quarters/ar-AAR9vUE?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL

• Upvote 1

I think they don't want to risk further injury to Mayfield, rollouts could expose him being hit more.

Also, Wills & Conklin injuries probably contributed to the lack of rollouts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I think they don't want to risk further injury to Mayfield, rollouts could expose him being hit more.

Also, Wills & Conklin injuries probably contributed to the lack of rollouts. 

Kind of take your pick a truly walking wounded Mayfield   -or-   a rested and recuperated Mayfield  and all of this with only 6 games and a bye left.

What's best for the team. and/or  player ?    

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

What's best for the team. and/or  player ?    

Yep, that's what's driving our fan base nuts. 

My opinion, if Baker's out there limping & over throwing, etc., put Keenum in and hope for the best. 

1988...Kosar, Pagel, Danielson, Strock....different era of course, but the Browns made the playoffs. 

Stefanski's call. Go Browns.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Yep, that's what's driving our fan base nuts. 

My opinion, if Baker's out there limping & over throwing, etc., put Keenum in and hope for the best. 

1988...Kosar, Pagel, Danielson, Strock....different era of course, but the Browns made the playoffs. 

Stefanski's call. Go Browns.

Yes it's the $30M question right now...... plus/minus a few million here or there.

Every game, every win counts now.   QUESTION:  Which quarterback gives the BROWNS' a better chance of beating Baltimore Sunday night ?

You wonder if Stefanski has a lucky coin in his desk, heads Mayfield tails Keenun ?

Time to win a coin toss.......

GO BROWNS !

On 11/22/2021 at 8:51 PM, Neo said:

I would like to see more plays like Landry taking a direct snap.

He's our best receiver.  And he's already gimpy.  

On 11/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, luke8878 said:

What happened to the moving pocket

QB too gimpy.