THE BROWNS BOARD

Dune Review

Dune

Warner  brothers

PG13           155 min

In the realm of science fiction/fantasy novels Frank Herbert’s DUNE, from 1965, is certainly worthy of a spot in the same area code as Lord of the Rings Star Wars and Game of Thrones and it shares at least slight similarity with the others.  It’s also hugely popular among its cult following. I read it for the 1st time  decades back and then again just about a month ago  and even though I finished it both times I was never hooked  either by the novel or the 1984 film starring Kyle McLaughlin and Patrick Stewart among others.  Just for reference the 1st book is about the size of the Fellowship of the Ring somewhere in the ballpark of 400+ pages but Dune is not a trilogy there are 8 books so far with the series continuing past Herbert’s death handed off to his son Bryan.  The 2021 theatrical release is the tip of the iceberg, I have no idea how far into the series they plan to go. The guess would be as  long as it makes money, but so far the 1st film only covers a portion of book number one.  Here we introduce some of the main characters, a few different groups and the conflict among them.

The most important thing in this universe is a substance called spice, kind of a futuristic version of crack cocaine/heroin/crystal meth (except that it's actually good for you) only found on the harsh desert planet, Arrakis.    The scheming emperor (and I can’t really think of any movie where the emperor is a good guy)  has assigned Duke Leto and House Atreides, Including his concubine Jessica and his son and heir Paul ( Oscar Isaac Rebecca Ferguson and Timothee Chalamet) to take over management of that planet from House Harkonnen, a particularly nasty bunch.   Jessica is a member of the mysterious and powerful group of women with abilities far beyond those of mortals.  Against the wishes of her order she has given birth to a male, Paul, prophesied to be the ruler of the universe one day.  Mom has also trained him in the supernatural ways of her order which doesn't sit well with them either.

If you haven't read the book you  may be somewhat confused About the treachery and just who is involved and why. That might come more clear in the next film that's so far you will just have to guess. I will tell you that Paul and Jessica will become fugitives and that the indigenous people of the planet, the Fremen,  the planet's indigenous race, will play a huge role even now.

Like every previous incarnation be it film or print version it remains a bit long winded and slow. Not that there isn’t a plot or action, there, but at 2 and a 1/2 hours, it does seem stretched out over a great deal of celluloid.   On the positive side this is by no means a shabby or 2nd rate production, quite the opposite, but I did get tired of the scenery. If you’ve seen one desert come you’ve seen them all. On the other hand I was duly impressed by the look of many of the indoor shots. They represented the descriptions in the book so perfectly that a couple times I thought I was experiencing a déjà vu.

In the end it's certainly a big sprawling production, excellent attention to detail yet slow paced and just a little bit boring.  It's well acted with a respectable cast, unfortunately none of the characters have the charisma that made GOT,, LOTR and STAR WARS  so compelling.

C

WSS

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2021 at 5:38 AM, Westside Steve said:

Dune

Warner  brothers

PG13           155 min

In the realm of science fiction/fantasy novels Frank Herbert’s DUNE, from 1965, is certainly worthy of a spot in the same area code as Lord of the Rings Star Wars and Game of Thrones and it shares at least slight similarity with the others.  It’s also hugely popular among its cult following. I read it for the 1st time  decades back and then again just about a month ago  and even though I finished it both times I was never hooked  either by the novel or the 1984 film starring Kyle McLaughlin and Patrick Stewart among others.  Just for reference the 1st book is about the size of the Fellowship of the Ring somewhere in the ballpark of 400+ pages but Dune is not a trilogy there are 8 books so far with the series continuing past Herbert’s death handed off to his son Bryan.  The 2021 theatrical release is the tip of the iceberg, I have no idea how far into the series they plan to go. The guess would be as  long as it makes money, but so far the 1st film only covers a portion of book number one.  Here we introduce some of the main characters, a few different groups and the conflict among them.

The most important thing in this universe is a substance called spice, kind of a futuristic version of crack cocaine/heroin/crystal meth (except that it's actually good for you) only found on the harsh desert planet, Arrakis.    The scheming emperor (and I can’t really think of any movie where the emperor is a good guy)  has assigned Duke Leto and House Atreides, Including his concubine Jessica and his son and heir Paul ( Oscar Isaac Rebecca Ferguson and Timothee Chalamet) to take over management of that planet from House Harkonnen, a particularly nasty bunch.   Jessica is a member of the mysterious and powerful group of women with abilities far beyond those of mortals.  Against the wishes of her order she has given birth to a male, Paul, prophesied to be the ruler of the universe one day.  Mom has also trained him in the supernatural ways of her order which doesn't sit well with them either.

If you haven't read the book you  may be somewhat confused About the treachery and just who is involved and why. That might come more clear in the next film that's so far you will just have to guess. I will tell you that Paul and Jessica will become fugitives and that the indigenous people of the planet, the Fremen,  the planet's indigenous race, will play a huge role even now.

Like every previous incarnation be it film or print version it remains a bit long winded and slow. Not that there isn’t a plot or action, there, but at 2 and a 1/2 hours, it does seem stretched out over a great deal of celluloid.   On the positive side this is by no means a shabby or 2nd rate production, quite the opposite, but I did get tired of the scenery. If you’ve seen one desert come you’ve seen them all. On the other hand I was duly impressed by the look of many of the indoor shots. They represented the descriptions in the book so perfectly that a couple times I thought I was experiencing a déjà vu.

In the end it's certainly a big sprawling production, excellent attention to detail yet slow paced and just a little bit boring.  It's well acted with a respectable cast, unfortunately none of the characters have the charisma that made GOT,, LOTR and STAR WARS  so compelling.

C

WSS

Foundation on disney so far is the best sci-fi out there and dont forget with out foundation there is no hitchhikers guide to the galexy or star wars

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ATOM said:

Foundation on disney so far is the best sci-fi out there and dont forget with out foundation there is no hitchhikers guide to the galexy or star wars

No doubt there are lots of pieces/parts of the science fiction world. I'm not really a devotee so I don't delve that deeply into the history of it. Just thought dune was boring. 😏

WSS 

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

No doubt there are lots of pieces/parts of the science fiction world. I'm not really a devotee so I don't delve that deeply into the history of it. Just thought dune was boring. 😏

WSS 

alot to take in with foundation looks like 80 hours which is just the first book in the series but hey so far so good

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1