THE BROWNS BOARD

Collusion s Review

Collusions

Boomerang

NR.             83 min

At this writing collusions is only available streaming as a preview but more than likely by the time we hit the stands it will be in the theaters. I would have rather seen it in a movie house but deadline waits for no one. At any rate at first glance this doesn't seem to have a lot of firepower; maybe that's the reason for the lack of early publicity. Then again one never knows the quality for entertainment of value every flick waiting for release.

The very first thing I noticed was the cast, who were barely b-list, and not even high up on the b list. They are not incompetent nor without some amount of charisma but there really isn't any star power here. Remember if the plot is the main focus that can be a good thing because there's no distractions from memory of previous rules. Fair enough. The story itself has many facets that could add up to an interesting flick. There is a really bad guy on trial who should be put away for a long time. Unfortunately, other characters have varying degrees of compromise, and varying degrees of the lengths they will go to to stop this guy or serve their own purposes. I won't get specific but there are a handful of dirty cops and at least a few people in the prosecutor's office that may benefit from looking the other way. At the core there is an age-old plot device in which one character assigned to harm another character has a change of heart and actually falls in love with his would-be victim. Police officers Martin and Sean (Tom Everett Scott and Jamison Jones) are partners but more importantly best friends and when Sean goes missing his erstwhile girlfriend Lindsay (Kelly Joan Bennett), tells Martin that he beat her and disappeared.  Both Martin and the audience should find that story a little bit fishy. Rightly so because from this point the movie doles out the background details in a form of flashbacks which are honestly just a little bit hard to follow. Just keep your eye on Lindsay's facial injuries to give you a clue.  Since I didn't buy her story in the 1st place, I knew there was some sort of twist coming and I’d guessed the climax about halfway through the film. Now that could have been the red herring because that's a good time to slip one by in order to set up the big shocker, so I kept waiting to see if I was wrong.  When the ending did come about (and I was right) I was torn between trying to make myself believe it was some sort of deep minimalism or just a sloppy “Hey guys it’s 5 o’clock time to go home” ending.  Maybe you can guess which way I decided by the fact that I gave it a lukewarm

C

WSS