THE BROWNS BOARD

Jamal Lewis on the Bubble

Sez.EJ

I found these two blurbs checking fantasy football news..

Jamal Lewis, RB, Cleveland Browns Monday 8/31, 6:21 PM CT

Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post suggests that Jamal Lewis may not make the Browns.

Our View: Lombardi noted that rookie James Davis looks like he could be the "real deal," and apparently believes Lewis is expendable. Lewis has not been running with authority, but it would still be a surprise if he does not make the team.

Aug. 31, 2009 - 5:30 p.m. ET

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post speculates that Jamal Lewis may not make the Browns' final 53-man roster.

Cleveland mistakenly paid Lewis a $4 million roster bonus in March, but with rookie James Davis excelling and Jerome Harrison back healthy, the 30-year-old may be expendable. Avoid Lewis entirely on fantasy draft day.

Source: National Football Post

I doubt this will happen as I believe Mangini wants a veteran presence in the backfield. However, not much surprises me any more. I think It would be a mistake ...we already paid the bonus.. that's gone.. He looked pretty good on the screen passes vs tennessee... No one was running the ball vs the 1st team tenn. defense so I won't hold that against him. Even if he loses his starting spot or carries.. he should be on the roster.

I found these two blurbs checking fantasy football news..

Jamal Lewis, RB, Cleveland Browns Monday 8/31, 6:21 PM CT

Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post suggests that Jamal Lewis may not make the Browns.

Our View: Lombardi noted that rookie James Davis looks like he could be the "real deal," and apparently believes Lewis is expendable. Lewis has not been running with authority, but it would still be a surprise if he does not make the team.

Aug. 31, 2009 - 5:30 p.m. ET

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post speculates that Jamal Lewis may not make the Browns' final 53-man roster.

Cleveland mistakenly paid Lewis a $4 million roster bonus in March, but with rookie James Davis excelling and Jerome Harrison back healthy, the 30-year-old may be expendable. Avoid Lewis entirely on fantasy draft day.

Source: National Football Post

I doubt this will happen as I believe Mangini wants a veteran presence in the backfield. However, not much surprises me any more. I think It would be a mistake ...we already paid the bonus.. that's gone.. He looked pretty good on the screen passes vs tennessee... No one was running the ball vs the 1st team tenn. defense so I won't hold that against him. Even if he loses his starting spot or carries.. he should be on the roster. Sorry for the new post, but I believe Lewis is bigger than the bottom feeders fighting for roster spots.

No way possible. They have no depth, so how the hell they going to cut someone at a position of need that they already paid a bonus to?

I'm no fan anymore of Lewis, but you can't go there, especially since Harrison has been awol.

That would put Noah Herron directly into the rotation until a castoff is picked up. Then that castoff has to learn the system. On top of that, Lewis is a big part of the veteran camaraderie and leadership, especially for the backs.

If anything, WKNR was speculating that Harrison may be on the bubble simply because he can't get on the field.

Guest ATENEARS

Very interesting story though ... wouldn't surprise me, but sure would give me an idication that Mangini has some real balls AND is running a true competition here in this camp.

I'd have to say that I hope this is the sign that we are turning the corner as a franchise and only those who have something in their gut need apply. No more charity casses.

There is no way that Noah Herron (no matter how much I liked how he played at Northwestern) is a better back than Lewis. I will agree that he looks slow, but he still is powerful and will be useful this year. I don't see 4 backs making the roster, but Lewis will be there. This will be his last year, but he has been a mentor to Davis as they went to the same high school. I see a split of carries early this season.

Very interesting story though ... wouldn't surprise me, but sure would give me an idication that Mangini has some real balls AND is running a true competition here in this camp.

I'd have to say that I hope this is the sign that we are turning the corner as a franchise and only those who have something in their gut need apply. No more charity casses.

Which is exactly why you keep Lewis. Look all camp long all Mangini has said is how much a team player Jamal is, which means he is sharing the load. But citting him wouldn't take balls. It would be very dumb, considering he is a 10 yr vet and you didn't need 3 practice games to know whether you want him or not. You'd alienate every player on the team considering what a hard worker he is.

Some of you really need a better understanding of how these things work in the NFL. You really think they'd dump 5M in a bonus to him just to kick the tires and decide he doesn't fit???? Really??? He is a perfect pro who just taught your young studs how to be an NFL player in both the offseason and in season.

Perhaps. "Balls" would have been cutting Lewis before camp and before getting sn idea of what we have in Davis.

Cutting Jamal now is just "Dick."

You have fantasy football and then you have real football...Lewis will be here but his carries will probably be down if Davis continues to play well...

Keep in mind though, isn't there always a back in camp that plays lights out then we don't hear from him for the rest of the year???

Peace

T.Dawg

Why would SF cut Sheets? He's looked fantastic! But like somebody said... you never know.

I can't see that happening. We paid him so we might as well see what he does when the lights come on. James Davis is going to be carrying the load sooner than later and I love Harrison.

if not sheets...then robinson...don't believe they keep 4 rb's

Why would SF cut Sheets? He's looked fantastic! But like somebody said... you never know.

I can't see that happening. We paid him so we might as well see what he does when the lights come on. James Davis is going to be carrying the load sooner than later and I love Harrison.

A few things:

1) While SF was hoping they found a gem in Sheets somebody spilled Coffee all over their running game. The explosion in that camp is Glenn Coffee. And Robinson won't get cut due to his standout play on Sts so it's very realistic SF will try to get Sheets on their practice squad. Won't he have to clear waivers first?

2) I've always been intrigued by the excitement and spark Harrison brings. That said, he picks the worst possible times to get dinged up and not be able to answer the bell. Last year he lit Buffalo up and before the end of the game he turned an ankle right about the time he would have had an ideal chance to get more reps. Timing and luck haven't been on his side so far. That said, these injuries might be a sign he's not built for the NFL.

3) I can't wait to see more of James Davis. Jamal seems to take forever to hit the hole these days; and he's running to upright to make his 245 pound frame as powerful as it once was. If he was still the SAME Jamal - he'd still be in Baltimore wouldn't he?

- Tom F.

"Some of you really need a better understanding of how these things work in the NFL. You really think they'd dump 5M in a bonus to him just to kick the tires and decide he doesn't fit???? Really??? He is a perfect pro who just taught your young studs how to be an NFL player in both the offseason and in season. "

Should i give you the list?

McGinest, Washington, Dilfer, Andruzzi...etc etc...same argument....same result...washed up

Which is exactly why you keep Lewis. Look all camp long all Mangini has said is how much a team player Jamal is, which means he is sharing the load. But citting him wouldn't take balls. It would be very dumb, considering he is a 10 yr vet and you didn't need 3 practice games to know whether you want him or not. You'd alienate every player on the team considering what a hard worker he is.

Some of you really need a better understanding of how these things work in the NFL. You really think they'd dump 5M in a bonus to him just to kick the tires and decide he doesn't fit???? Really??? He is a perfect pro who just taught your young studs how to be an NFL player in both the offseason and in season.

Mangini fell off of the Bill Belichoke tree. "I can only go by what I see". I see a guy that's lost his burst. Sisky's gonna owe me a real nice bottle of wine. Now we may keep him around as our rendition of Jerome Bettis as a short yardage situational back, but please If you want to compare him at this stage of his career as a legit threat to gain 1,000 yards, put down the crack pipe. He's certainly not an elite back anymore, and if you want to suggest he's even an average back, I think you're over reaching.

The good is- if Lewis goes 10 carries for 23 yards (like he did against the Titans) he'll be riding pine in short order.

I think he stays for veteran presence and limited duty a la Jerome Bettis post emergence of Willie Parker.

Probably so, but finding a vet to replace him wouldn't be that hard. Every year there are a handful of those guys to be had.....but since he knows the plays and was paid the coin, he probably sticks.

Then again, not sure what he will make in salary this year. Maybe we cut him, see if he gets signed somewhere else, then try to sign him back at a reduced rate.

Guest ATENEARS

Ahhh... spoken like a true fan thousands of miles away. When reality is, when you attend a training camp practice you can clearly see that the guy wasn't 100% into it mentally this season. He was slow, almost lazy ... had the type of body language that said that he didn't give a shit.

This ain't the Jamal Lewis that came into Cleveland a few years back hungry as hell and ready to prove that he wasn't washed up way back then. The one who worked hard and busted his ass in every rep of every drill. The one who stuck-out from the rest of the pretenders.

Now Lewis is pretending. Davis worked much harder and is more hungry and much fresher.

Lewis scares no-one, except the accounting department.

Mangini fell off of the Bill Belichoke tree. "I can only go by what I see". I see a guy that's lost his burst. Sisky's gonna owe me a real nice bottle of wine. Now we may keep him around as our rendition of Jerome Bettis as a short yardage situational back, but please If you want to compare him at this stage of his career as a legit threat to gain 1,000 yards, put down the crack pipe. He's certainly not an elite back anymore, and if you want to suggest he's even an average back, I think you're over reaching.

The good is- if Lewis goes 10 carries for 23 yards (like he did against the Titans) he'll be riding pine in short order.

Your missing the point. Jamal Lewis is a 10 yr vet deserving of much more respect than getting cut because of a few flashes from a six round pick. If you didn't know what you had in Lewis before now, than you shouldn't be head coach. Mangini likes what he has in Lewis, otherwise he would have done the right thing and cut him before the first preseason game so he could sign with someone else, and you bring in another vet to learn the offense. Cutting him now is dumb because it shows complete lack of respect while also hurting the team.

You don't cut a Jamal Lewis 10 days before the 1st game.

Ahhh... spoken like a true fan thousands of miles away. When reality is, when you attend a training camp practice you can clearly see that the guy wasn't 100% into it mentally this season. He was slow, almost lazy ... had the type of body language that said that he didn't give a shit.

This ain't the Jamal Lewis that came into Cleveland a few years back hungry as hell and ready to prove that he wasn't washed up way back then. The one who worked hard and busted his ass in every rep of every drill. The one who stuck-out from the rest of the pretenders.

Now Lewis is pretending. Davis worked much harder and is more hungry and much fresher.

Well for reasons I won't get into in this post, I obiously cannot trust your judgement any longer, so I will go ahead and side with Mangini on this one, who has illustrated time and time again that Jamal is a team player and will do whatever the team asks, which if read between the lines means teaching the young studs how to be a pro while also sharing time with them.

And when I say you don't understand the NFL, I mean it. Jamal deserves much better than being cut 10 days before the first game. You know what you have/don't have in him way back in mini-camp and OTA's. Cutting him now is a complete slap in the face to all vets around the league you may want to sign next offseason. They won't come.

I know for a fact he does give a shit and isn't lazy. When you were wasting time typing on a message board he was in the sand running his ass off preparing for camp - a notoriously tough offseason regimen.

How long have you felt like?

Do you want him on the roster? I think if there is room for a short yardage back JL can still provide.

McGinest, Washington, Dilfer, Andruzzi...etc etc...same argument....same result...washed up

I don't think any of those guys were cut 10 days before the season. In the NFL, you know what you have with vets, so you don't keep them on the roster and then cut them down to 53.

If I remember correctly, of all the shit performances last season, this guy at least had 1000 yards. Doesn't mean he should carry the load this season, but on a team where everyone halved there yardage totals, he busted his ass every game, no matter how slow. So if you didn't want him back, you let him go early in the offseason and let him try to get on with another team. Respect! Jamal has certainly earned that.

"Some of you really need a better understanding of how these things work in the NFL. You really think they'd dump 5M in a bonus to him just to kick the tires and decide he doesn't fit???? Really??? He is a perfect pro who just taught your young studs how to be an NFL player in both the offseason and in season. "

JL is washed up he isnt an elite back anymore but he is a warrior in the locker room but he isnt going anywhere due to compensation...he like DA is already bought and paid for with a insanely hefty overpay and i fear DA will start because of it so we may see DA and JL leading the charge but we will see BQ and davis finishing the battle..;)

Putting poorly spent money ahead of building a winning team is sick and will cost this club dearly if they go this route but thats usually the business side of it and mankok appears to be a serious money manager...

He can still block and play ST's.... the bonus is paid might as well keep him.

It is too late to drop JL this season. They already paid the bonus and he has already gone through camp. He deserves a spot on the roster. I am one person who wanted him dropped months ago. I thought he showed last season that he was done. I wanted them to go after someone in the draft in the 1st or 2nd round. When we got Davis in the 6th, I was excited. The kid has phenomenal talent and will be a solid back in the NFL. J-Lew has done a great job mentoring him. I think Lewis deserves to get some carries, but Davis has got to be the feature back with Lewis and Harrison being the change of pace guys. Lewis is a real pro and I have no doubt he will continue to present himself as a true pro. Mangini would be a classless fool to cut him now.

Archived