THE BROWNS BOARD

America Has a Gun Problem

MLD Woody

6 hours ago, Neo said:

When you have people willing to mass murder people with guns then willing to turn the gun on themselves, what law can you pass that would punish/deter the shooter? When you have someone that is willing to die, you literally have nothing to hang over their head. 

Mass shootings started well before mass media and mass social media. Free will, guns, and social media do not mix well. But once the genie was let out of the bottle, I'm afraid there is no going back. Once Columbine happened, that's when things really started to go downhill. Like I said before, get yourself armed, be aware of your surroundings, and stay out of trouble.  

I think that's true. Still I would urge a requirement for some kind of gun training for anyone wanting a concealed carry license. I have no problem with people carrying but I would rather they had some sort of knowledge about the weapon.

WSS 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I think that's true. Still I would urge a requirement for some kind of gun training for anyone wanting a concealed carry license. I have no problem with people carrying but I would rather they had some sort of knowledge about the weapon.

WSS 

I say throw out the concealed license and just make it a law to have 'gun license" You should not only have to take an overall gun safety class, but you should also have to be trained and certified for every class of weapon you wish to buy. If you buy an AR-15, you should be trained and certified in that class of weapon, and the same for shotguns. And maybe even have to re-certify after so long.

Once you have your gun license and it says that you are certified in the class of firearm you have then you should be allowed to carry it concealed. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neo said:

I say throw out the concealed license and just make it a law to have 'gun license" You should not only have to take an overall gun safety class, but you should also have to be trained and certified for every class of weapon you wish to buy. If you buy an AR-15, you should be trained and certified in that class of weapon, and the same for shotguns. And maybe even have to re-certify after so long.

Once you have your gun license and it says that you are certified in the class of firearm you have then you should be allowed to carry it concealed. 

I can live with that. The Specter of the slippery slope always exists but one has to start somewhere.

WSS

3 hours ago, Neo said:

So basically a driver's license but for guns. Seems like a step in the right direction. 

Do you think individuals have a legitimate case to actually own AR 15s though? And if so, what is that case?

The problem with the second amendment is that it is so VAGUE. It say you have the right to keep and bear "Arms" , it says nothing about ammunition. You could in theory ban the mass production of ammo or ammo altogether😆 It even says it in the amendment "ARMS" , does not say anything about "Firearms" And technically, a gun can exist without the ammo. Ammo is not part of the gun itself but a consumable.

Also, it does not define "Infringe" So, technically gun laws don't infringe the 2nd amendment because in the end they still allow possession of a gun.😆

2ndAmendment.jpg

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

So basically a driver's license but for guns. Seems like a step in the right direction. 

Do you think individuals have a legitimate case to actually own AR 15s though? And if so, what is that case?

My idea was that if you want to own a particular gun, you get trained and certified in that class. Pistols, semi-automatic rifles like AR's and AK's, shotguns, long guns like bolt action rifles. You don't pass the course, you don't get it and it's illegal for you to own it.  Passing a handgun course should not be that difficult for most 90% plus of people. And let's face it, if you can't pass a simple handgun course, you should not be handling AR-15's and shotguns. I do not believe my idea infringes the 2nd amendment because the end result is you get to carry a weapon. It's not a CURE ALL  but it is a common sense step in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, Neo said:

My idea was that if you want to own a particular gun, you get trained and certified in that class. Pistols, semi-automatic rifles like AR's and AK's, shotguns, long guns like bolt action rifles. You don't pass the course, you don't get it and it's illegal for you to own it.  Passing a handgun course should not be that difficult for most 90% plus of people. And let's face it, if you can't pass a simple handgun course, you should not be handling AR-15's and shotguns. I do not believe my idea infringes the 2nd amendment because the end result is you get to carry a weapon. It's not a CURE ALL  but it is a common sense step in the right direction.

No I get it. What I'm asking is what would be your justification for why an average citizen would need to own an AR?

17 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No I get it. What I'm asking is what would be your justification for why an average citizen would need to own an AR?

I don't know, personal choice? I have mine as a last line of defense if the world completely goes to shit. I really don't see the NEED for anyone to use it in a self defense manner, that's what pistols are for. If you live in a place that you NEED an Ar-15 for self defense then you need to move. I live in a pretty shit part of town and feel plenty safe with just my 45 and 9mm. 

4 minutes ago, Neo said:

I don't know, personal choice? I have mine as a last line of defense if the world completely goes to shit. I really don't see the NEED for anyone to use it in a self defense manner, that's what pistols are for. If you live in a place that you NEED an Ar-15 for self defense then you need to move. I live in a pretty shit part of town and feel plenty safe with just my 45 and 9mm. 

That was kind of the point I was hoping to make. When looking at the 2nd amendment in regards to self defense. 

5 hours ago, Neo said:

Nothing wrong with your idea, but I’m pretty sure if someone breaks into your home and steals your gun he/she wouldn’t give a fuck about any type of license.

Which puts the firearm in the wrong person’s possession, and that is the biggest issue of gun crime in America.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

someone breaks into your home and steals your gun

I've already said that is a problem in this thread. And I have also said that my idea was not a cure all. Gun theft is a major problem, but so is also people who have no business even touching a gun. What I am suggesting would at least slow down the ability of someone being able ti get their hands on a powerful weapon with ease. If you feel you deserve to have that weapon then prove it.  Go get the training and go get certified.

4 hours ago, Neo said:

I've already said that is a problem in this thread. And I have also said that my idea was not a cure all. Gun theft is a major problem, but so is also people who have no business even touching a gun. What I am suggesting would at least slow down the ability of someone being able ti get their hands on a powerful weapon with ease. If you feel you deserve to have that weapon then prove it.  Go get the training and go get certified.

Agreed. Some   points in addition to your response:

1.Why NOT an AR ? It's a rifle. A semi-auto rifle. Very customizable  - a primary factor in it's popularity.

2. We already HAVE a requirement for CCW. I'm fine with that.  We have background checks. etc etc etc. But the left is their own worst enemy - they don't care about gun crimes and gun accidents - it's dirty political theater with them. NY had gun registration. First thing that happened? The local leftwing major newspaper PUBLISHED the names and addresses of all those registered. Including policemen, firemen, etc. Liberals CREATE problems because they are not sincere about what they do.

3. I've been wondering why noise reducers are fought by the left so diligenetly. Another ignorant attack point. Why not quiet

the sound of a gun going off? Right now- i't at least a couple hundred bucks and a year to wait to get one. I'd like to have one for my AR that I haven't bought yet....(need an upper) - but they are LOUD. Maybe the left opposes them because they want the loudness to annoy neighbors? or, they think the suppressors make gunshots silent like in the movies?

they do NOT. Ok, in the military they have them that do - but that class of suppressor is NOT sold to civilians. Ask any spec ops/Seal team guy - he'll tell you.

If I ever hunt boar, I want an AR. It would take more than a couple of frantic shots to kill one.

The left has made it impossible to add new risky laws - but they thrive on abusing laws in existence any way they can. Want to require a license to own? Just get one? An obaMao/biden gov would love to increase the cost of a license to about 500 bucks. or, how about a six month college stint? or a two year degree? They are already calling decent parents who object to crt being taught in their schools dangerous and have the corrupt fbi going after them.

4. All of us are sickened by school shootings. But using a car? no lefties car. Automobile deaths and injuries? They do NOT give a crap. Because attacking our 2nd Amendment is a political weapon they use to try to manipulate their anti-everthing support.

Motor Vehicle Crash Deaths | VitalSigns | CDC

However, more than 32,000 people are killed and 2 million are injured each year from motor vehicle crashes. In 2013, the US crash death rate was more than twice the average of other high-income countries. In the US, front seat belt use was lower than in most other comparison countries.

5. There are lefties who fight against fishing. Anybody not know why they do that? It isn't about deaths or crime. It's about fighting against every aspect of American life they can think of to fight.

PETA Launches Attack on Sport Fishing | Fox News

PETA Launches Attack on Sport Fishing. LOS ANGELES - For many Americans, "fishing" conjures up images of a quiet lake or gentle stream with man and nature at peace. But not everybody sees it ...

18 hours ago, Neo said:

Some perspective.

Some say we have a gun problem.  Maybe.  In 2019, 40K deaths related to guns in the US.  That's all types of deaths, homicide, accidents, police, etc.,

In the same year over 600K deaths related to Alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.  In this country we like to label situations and occurrences before we understand the true context.  Why are the deaths of 40K more important than the 600K related to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.  Why aren't we fighting to restrict, legislate, or criminalize those concerns.  

Also, those numbers are straight from the CDC.  

There is absolutely no reason that an AR-15 should be considered anyting special if you can buy legitimate hunting rifles that fires as many rounds. Even the most anti-gun guy has to realize that looks don't really matter if you can get a Remington to do the same thing.  Plus multi round shotguns are available and even I could saw off the barrel.

WSS 

4 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

Some perspective.

Some say we have a gun problem.  Maybe.  In 2019, 40K deaths related to guns in the US.  That's all types of deaths, homicide, accidents, police, etc.,

In the same year over 600K deaths related to Alcohol, tobacco, and drug use.  In this country we like to label situations and occurrences before we understand the true context.  Why are the deaths of 40K more important than the 600K related to alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.  Why aren't we fighting to restrict, legislate, or criminalize those concerns.  

Also, those numbers are straight from the CDC.  

Alcohol, tobacco and drugs only affect the people who are taking them.

11 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Alcohol, tobacco and drugs only affect the people who are taking them.

Nope.  Drunk drivers kill.  Second hand smoke is harmful and can lead to death.  Associated deaths due to drugs and the drug empire kill.  But you're missing my point.  How many deaths does it take then for those deaths to be a concern?

4 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

Nope.  Drunk drivers kill.  Second hand smoke is harmful and can lead to death.  Associated deaths due to drugs and the drug empire kill.  But you're missing my point.  How many deaths does it take then for those deaths to be a concern?

And there are a lot of laws around second hand smoke and drunk driving 

What percentage of the gun deaths are self inflicted and what percentage of the drug and alcohol deaths are self inflicted.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

What percentage of the gun deaths are self inflicted and what percentage of the drug and alcohol deaths are self inflicted.

stop your incessant chirping and look it up your own self

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And the point being, despite all the laws we have, there are still 500K more deaths related to drinking, tobacco and drugs.  And to state that those deaths only impact the person who dies of alcoholism or lung cancer or an overdose is not correct either.  Family and friends are deeply impacted by those deaths as well.  

The point that is slipping by some of you is that the narrative that is being put in front of us by politicians and our MSM make it appear that this country has some overwhelming gun problem.  That is not the case and is shown by the numbers.  If you really care about the deaths of others, then the cause shouldn't matter.  If we should ban or even legislate gun ownership even further, then we should do the same with alcohol and tobacco.  A death is a death, even if it is self inflicted like alcohol and tobacco CAN be.  Stop being manipulated by politicians and the MSM.  Do some damn research and form an intelligent opinion based on some damn facts rather than what your political party chooses to espouse.  

Just wait though.  One day, politicians will make alcohol and tobacco a political issue (in some ways, it already is with sin taxes) and some will want to ban (again) those items.  And when the politicians come for it (so they can get votes) let's see how you like that big ol' gov't then.  

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And there are laws about murder.

" that's against the law!"

"So is murder Engelberg now shut up before you get me into some real trouble."

WSS 

3 hours ago, BrownsKidd said:

And the point being, despite all the laws we have, there are still 500K more deaths related to drinking, tobacco and drugs.  And to state that those deaths only impact the person who dies of alcoholism or lung cancer or an overdose is not correct either.  Family and friends are deeply impacted by those deaths as well.  

The point that is slipping by some of you is that the narrative that is being put in front of us by politicians and our MSM make it appear that this country has some overwhelming gun problem.  That is not the case and is shown by the numbers.  If you really care about the deaths of others, then the cause shouldn't matter.  If we should ban or even legislate gun ownership even further, then we should do the same with alcohol and tobacco.  A death is a death, even if it is self inflicted like alcohol and tobacco CAN be.  Stop being manipulated by politicians and the MSM.  Do some damn research and form an intelligent opinion based on some damn facts rather than what your political party chooses to espouse.  

Just wait though.  One day, politicians will make alcohol and tobacco a political issue (in some ways, it already is with sin taxes) and some will want to ban (again) those items.  And when the politicians come for it (so they can get votes) let's see how you like that big ol' gov't then.  

I don't see how any logical person can compare gun deaths to alcohol, tobacco and drugs.  There are plenty of laws which cover DUI/Drug driving.  Tobacco has been known to be a killer for decades and almost every employer in the USA bans it on their property.

14 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I don't see how any logical person can compare gun deaths to alcohol, tobacco and drugs.  There are plenty of laws which cover DUI/Drug driving.  Tobacco has been known to be a killer for decades and almost every employer in the USA bans it on their property.

Per the CDC over 10K died due to drunk driving in 2016.  That's 25% of gun related deaths.  So, what number of deaths have to occur before we have a "problem"?

People still die because of those issues, whether they directly or indirectly affect you or others, people still die.  My point, is 40K died due to gun deaths.  Over 600K due to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs (and yes, most of those don't directly affect or kill others), but the point is that why don't those 600K deaths matter as much as gun related deaths? Because it's political. Isn't a preventable death, regardless of the cause, tragic?  When politicians figure that they can divide and gather votes by pushing those vices i've mentioned, they will come for them.  Maybe not in our lifetime, but they will.