THE BROWNS BOARD

C'mon C'mon Review

C'mon C'mon

A 21

R.           108 min

Frankly I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this film. Oscar season is upon us and I didn’t want to waste time with something silly or hackneyed or whatever. (Not that I don’t occasionally love crap!)

First of all, this one stars Joaquin Phoenix, one of the best actors working today.  His last film as you recall was a complete tour de force as Batman's nemesis The Joker. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who will take a bad role just for the money but might just work cheap for a great script Also thanks  to the critical acclaim this one's been  garnering recently I think it will be around at Oscar time.  If you are keeping score this performance is just about as different from The Joker as possible; Johnny, a subdued radio journalist traveling the country recording children's ideas on the future and the world.  He and his estranged sister Viv (Gaby Hoffman) travel respectively from New York and Los Angeles to meet in Detroit as their mother is dying from dementia.   Both siblings are just a little bit neurotic but nothing compared to Viv’s husband and father of her son Jesse (Woody Norman).   He, the father, is currently institutionalized after a breakdown leaving Viv and Jesse in an untenable situation. Frankly I never really understood how the radio journalist gig paid off but that aside Johnny takes it upon himself to help out with 9-year-old who seems to be as neurotic as everyone else in this film. The two have long and almost nonsensical conversations with each other,  actually that's just about the entire basis of the film, but in spite of, or because of that the two of them form a bond quickly. Mom really needs time off so Johnny takes Jessie with him to New York for a while. I would guess 85% of the film is dialogue between those two and I can't stress strongly enough how amazed I was by the acting here. We know Phoenix is gifted but the best part is how this kid handled his performance. There is absolutely nothing forced or unbelievable by any line he delivers and the chemistry between the two is like nothing I've seen before in a motion picture. I had thought maybe director Mike Mills was writing an autobiographical story but apparently it's just a story  rich in dialog and unique in character. It's one of those art films that no one expects will make any money but actors of high caliber like to do. There isn't really a giant climax or epiphany at the end, that's not the point. The point is the relationship and interplay between the uncle and his nephew. I'm betting dollars to donuts it will be among the nominees when the gold is passed out.

A

WSS