THE BROWNS BOARD

House of Gucci review

House of Gucci

UA/Universal

R.              158min

I'll start with a little admission here. I probably wouldn't have cared about HOUSE OF GUCCI  but for the All Star, kind of, cast.  I'm really not interested in the world of high fashion or the ugly handbags with the Gucci logo all over them, especially the Times square knockoffs that everybody brings back from NYC.   On the other hand there's certainly a curiosity about  what might possibly be of interest about the brand that might inspire two and a half hours of film.  Maybe here is a little bit of a spoiler alert just in case you'd rather go in cold. Why not?

To me one of the big deals about Gucci products is that everybody likes conspicuous consumption; for example even if that pair of shoes isn’t any better looking than a pair from Walmart you’re pleased that your friends and neighbors know you spent a lot of money on them.  So keeping up with and actually surpassing the Joneses has made corporations like Gucci multi million dollar entities.  Actually being a family business, the Gucci empire reminds us of a warring medieval kingdom.  Al Pacino and Jeremy Irons, the brothers who control the business, are e facing the reality of turning that business over to their two much weaker sons,  Maurizio and Paolo  (Adam Driver and Jared Leto)  Neither one seems to have the brains or the drive to take the company into the next generation, that is until Maurizio hooks up  with Patrizia (Lady Gaga)   a vivacious but sneaky little firecracker who guides him through a takeover  and eventually the downfall of the company.   Actually the title of the book this film is based on gives you an idea of the plot,  It’s House of Gucci, a Sensational Tale of  Murder Madness Glamor and Greed.  Yep, that just about covers it.  Not only is the telling of the tale fascinating but the caliber of acting in this film is really 1st rate  Especially Jared Leto who turns in yet another transformative performance  and Lady Gaga who most certainly earned an Academy award nomination.  It's always fun when a movie finds a non traditional subject, but even better when it's done well.

A-

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they will make a House of Sam (a.k.a. Sam's Club) movie next. It will star all those midnight customers. 

military

Yet another strange occasion that has blended so well with the daily strange happenings at Walmart that basically, no one notices it.

Rating: 8.3/10 (8 votes cast)
Rating: +3 (from 3 votes)

No Comments Funny

Cough Medicine

transformer

Even A Transformer Needs Some Cough Medicine Sometimes

Rating: 7.6/10 (7 votes cast)
Rating: +1 (from 3 votes)

No Comments Funny

Therapy Gator

theragator
Newest therapy pet in town.

Rating: 7.3/10 (12 votes cast)
Rating: +2 (from 8 votes)

No Comments Funny

Perfect Venue

venue
Congrats to the newly wedded couple.

True story I was playing in the Detroit area for Saint Patrick's day many years ago it had to go to K mart for something for something. I was wearing the full kilt outfit standing in line behind a a black guy wearing a dashiki.. He turned around we looked at each other burst out laughing and slapped a High 5.

WSS

• Haha 1