THE BROWNS BOARD

The OBR on ONN 8/31

OconRecon

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Many of us believe BQ should be the starter and mangini is either foolishly trying to hide it from the vikes or he has made a foolish decision with help from upstairs and is going to name DA the starter namely because of the big roster bonus DA is bought and paid for BQ will add a hefty cost if he starts.

Mangini may not be sold on either QB and may want to draft his own guy in next years draft and if thats the case then starting DA who has no value except in cleveland and trading BQ whom has value is a realistic option i hope it doesnt go this way but i wouldnt be shellshocked if it did....;)

I still hold the belief that Mangini is trying to keep DA's trade value up. If he names BQ the starter, then other teams view DA as more expendable. I think it is foolish...everyone knows that DA will be a backup in Cleveland and his value isn't going to increase or decrease at this point. Everyone knows what he is. Quinn is the starter in Cleveland...that is very clear! DA will request a trade probably. Mangini wants to try and maximize value on that trade.

Guest Masters
It's been a rough six weeks for the Trojans. With them, the Lakers, the Angels, and the Dodgers, we're starting to yawn at success. It'll bite us.

I'm sorry, i'll give you USC and the Lakers, but when are the Angels and Dodgers going to be having success. Unless you count 1 and done in the playoffs a success (in the case of the Dodgers, last year was the first season they sniffed playoffs in a while, and they are blowing their lead for the NL West as we speak).

I'm sorry, i'll give you USC and the Lakers, but when are the Angels and Dodgers going to be having success. Unless you count 1 and done in the playoffs a success (in the case of the Dodgers, last year was the first season they sniffed playoffs in a while, and they are blowing their lead for the NL West as we speak).

Masters we're not really giving a Dodger/Angels/Lakers/Trojans fan shit about winning championships being from Cleveland are we? LOL.

Guest Masters
Masters we're not really giving a Dodger/Angels/Lakers/Trojans fan shit about winning championships being from Cleveland are we? LOL.

Just at the notion LA fans are bored with the success of the Dodgers and Angels.

How about we start a true freshman at quarterback, lose one of our top receivers for the season, lose a starting corner to academic ineligibility, and wonder if our All-American center will play?

It's been a rough six weeks for the Trojans. With them, the Lakers, the Angels, and the Dodgers, we're starting to yawn at success. It'll bite us.

Us??? That sucks. How did you end up a USC, dodgers and lakers fan? And then turn around be a browns fan?

Guest Masters
Winning in general. Angels have made playoffs 5 of last 6 years, won a World Series, just added pitching to make them serious contenders. Dodgers are in first place (like last year) and added Thome and Garland yesterday (after getting Sherrill and that dicky pitcher nobody likes but has already pitched well for the Dodgers).

It's been a run of serious contenders in every sport, year round.

Like I said, I'll give you the Lakers and USC.

I don't think anyone is yawning at the success of the Dodgers, because that success is very limited (last year was their first playoff birth in quite some time).

The Angels have maded it to the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 years. They have also been drummed out of the first round in 4 of those 5. And like the Dodgers, play in one of the worst divisions in baseball.

All I am saying is lets not put those two teams in the same catagory as the Lakers or USC in LA. They don't belong there.

Make sure you infect USC, OSU needs any advantage they can get.

OSU will be the surprise team in the Pac 10 this year. Every year they get picked to finish 7th or 8th, and end up in the 3/4 range in the league. This year they are picked to be in the 3/4 range, and they're either gonna win it or end up about 7th. All of their tough games are on the road... they'll likely lose them all, or win them all. Many new starters so it's tough to tell what kind of team they'll be just yet.

Guest Masters
When you look at Southland sports, you see why nobody's frothing at the mouth over the NFL. Would it really be cooler than the Trojans? The Lakers? The Dodgers and Angels? The beach? The mountains?

Having lived their for 12 years, outside of the Dodgers, Lakers, and USC, there are few true sports fans. It has a lot to do w/ front running (i.e. only interested if the team is winning) and to much other things to do. That's why the NFL failed there and there is little interest in a NFL team there.

No one showed up to watch the Angels until the end of their WS run several years ago. Before that, you could go to a game and the place was ghost town.

We are talking about a region where people show up late to games (outside of a USC game) and leave early.

OSU will be the surprise team in the Pac 10 this year. Every year they get picked to finish 7th or 8th, and end up in the 3/4 range in the league. This year they are picked to be in the 3/4 range, and they're either gonna win it or end up about 7th. All of their tough games are on the road... they'll likely lose them all, or win them all. Many new starters so it's tough to tell what kind of team they'll be just yet.

Drunk he was talking about Ohio State when they play the Trojans in week two. As far as Oregon State goes I think they will finish where picked this year. 8 Wins and 3rd or 4th in the Pac 10. Just hope University of Oregon pulls a Michigan and falls on their face.

Having lived their for 12 years, outside of the Dodgers, Lakers, and USC, there are few true sports fans. It has a lot to do w/ front running (i.e. only interested if the team is winning) and to much other things to do. That's why the NFL failed there and there is little interest in a NFL team there.

No one showed up to watch the Angels until the end of their WS run several years ago. Before that, you could go to a game and the place was ghost town.

Sounds ALOT like the Carolina NHL team that won the Stanley Cup against my Sabres not so long ago. Carolina had trouble selling out games for the Stanley Cup Finals and he they were in the act of winning it all. I think its popularity has increased there after the first Championship.

Let's get real - the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't add the plural to fan until after they added the Paul Brown pupil (Chuck Noll). Winning stimulates interest and it sure solves alot of problems doesn't it?

- Tom F.

Like I said, I'll give you the Lakers and USC.

I don't think anyone is yawning at the success of the Dodgers, because that success is very limited (last year was their first playoff birth in quite some time).

The Angels have made it to the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 years. They have also been drummed out of the first round in 4 of those 5. And like the Dodgers, play in one of the worst divisions in baseball.

All I am saying is lets not put those two teams in the same category as the Lakers or USC in LA. They don't belong there.

Thought I'd chime in as a Orange County voice.

People from outside of So Cal should know that there is a big difference in the fans of "LA" and us here in Orange County. The Lakers are popular with most, but the people in LA seem to still root for the Raiders. I've lived in Orange County for over 25 yrs and I have met only a handful of Raider fans down here. Orange County is a mix of various teams with the Chargers being the most "favorite" team. The demographic group of LA still hangs on to the Raider glory days of the 80's for some reason. :huh: Prime example of the THUG/idiotic mentality of a Raider fan is that they would go down to San Diego and root for a crappy team 400 miles away than the one that's a SB caliber team that's right down the freeway.

The biggest difference is in baseball. The people in the OC HATE the Dodgers and LOVE the Angels with a passion. And vice versa. You would think that it would be 1 team in each league as a favorite, but not at all. When the Dodgers and Angels play it gets nasty. Usually, it's when Dodger fans come to Anaheim and talk crap. Like they've done anything in 20 years.

Guest Masters
Thought I'd chime in as a Orange County voice.

People from outside of So Cal should know that there is a big difference in the fans of "LA" and us here in Orange County. The Lakers are popular with most, but the people in LA seem to still root for the Raiders. I've lived in Orange County for over 25 yrs and I have met only a handful of Raider fans down here. Orange County is a mix of various teams with the Chargers being the most "favorite" team. The demographic group of LA still hangs on to the Raider glory days of the 80's for some reason. :huh: Prime example of the THUG/idiotic mentality of a Raider fan is that they would go down to San Diego and root for a crappy team 400 miles away than the one that's a SB caliber team that's right down the freeway.

The biggest difference is in baseball. The people in the OC HATE the Dodgers and LOVE the Angels with a passion. And vice versa. You would think that it would be 1 team in each league as a favorite, but not at all. When the Dodgers and Angels play it gets nasty. Usually, it's when Dodger fans come to Anaheim and talk crap. Like they've done anything in 20 years.

I saw that as well while living there (I just moved back from there).

Don't get me wrong, there are great sports fans in Southern California. But the passion for sports and teams there is not what it is in other areas of the country. My personal experience there lent me to believe it is caused by the following factors:

1. People in Southern California are from all over the county. So a lot have teams they follow which are not in the area.

2. There is just so many other activities in Southern California to do all year round.

3. What is considered popular is far more important to people there. As an example, before the Angels got to the WS several years ago, going to an Angels game wasn't exactly the popular thing to do. Angels get to the WS and suddenly it was the hip/cool/popular thing to do and tell people you did.

4. A very diverse ethnic population in the area. There are a ton of peple with a very wide varying of interests

I don't know a good way to fully describe it. SoCal (OC/LA) is just a far different place than anywhere else in the US

I saw that as well while living there (I just moved back from there).

Don't get me wrong, there are great sports fans in Southern California. But the passion for sports and teams there is not what it is in other areas of the country. My personal experience there lent me to believe it is caused by the following factors:

1. People in Southern California are from all over the county. So a lot have teams they follow which are not in the area.

2. There is just so many other activities in Southern California to do all year round.

3. What is considered popular is far more important to people there. As an example, before the Angels got to the WS several years ago, going to an Angels game wasn't exactly the popular thing to do. Angels get to the WS and suddenly it was the hip/cool/popular thing to do and tell people you did.

4. A very diverse ethnic population in the area. There are a ton of peple with a very wide varying of interests

I don't know a good way to fully describe it. SoCal (OC/LA) is just a far different place than anywhere else in the US

I do...fake people, fake interests, in a fake town. Way too transient of a town to have a Fav LA team unless they are winning championships i. e. lakers. I lived there for two years and would only go back if there was a major disaster and all the people that were there Left!

The Pac-10 is much more of a crapshoot than people think. IMO, unless you are the two Washington schools or ASU, you have a shot at making some noise in that conference.

USC is seemingly down but still has a ton of talent

Oregon has Masoli and Blount back;

Oregon State has arguably the best game coach in the conference so the Beavers are always a threat;

Arizona returns a running game that ran for over 2000 yards and 30 TD's last season and most of its defense

Cal has Jahvid Best and while I think that TEAM is overrated, with Best, the Golden Bears could take down anyone if Best is on top of his game.

Stanford and UCLA are popular picks as "up and coming teams"

The other three teams are cellar dwellars for at least 2009. I see no hope for Wazzou or ASU.

Archived