THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs and Contract talks

hx214

Has anybody heard much on this? I read something that they are still in talks as of today, but I'm not hearing to much more.

How do you guys feel about this type of thing with players that want to re-work their contracts mid way through?

I love Cribbs and think he is a great addition to any team, but I don't really feel bad for these players that want better deals after they start to produce more for a team. These guys signed a contract for a reason. To insure that they had a paycheck. If you felt that the contract was unfair, then why did you sign it in the first place?

To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If a player doesn't preform up to snuff, it's not like the team can take money away from a player. Sure you can cut him, but if he is under contract your still gonna have to pay him.

To be honest I'm glad I haven't heard much about this situation, I think Brandon Marshall has been hogging all the spotlight in that department

Has anybody heard much on this? I read something that they are still in talks as of today, but I'm not hearing to much more.

How do you guys feel about this type of thing with players that want to re-work their contracts mid way through?

I love Cribbs and think he is a great addition to any team, but I don't really feel bad for these players that want better deals after they start to produce more for a team. These guys signed a contract for a reason. To insure that they had a paycheck. If you felt that the contract was unfair, then why did you sign it in the first place?

To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If a player doesn't preform up to snuff, it's not like the team can take money away from a player. Sure you can cut him, but if he is under contract your still gonna have to pay him.

To be honest I'm glad I haven't heard much about this situation, I think Brandon Marshall has been hogging all the spotlight in that department

he's probably just waiting to have another good year and then really hammer the browns next offseason. the front office may be forced to give him what he wants seeing as he is the best player we've got.

But wasn't his contract that he signed last time for like 6 years?

What is he going to do? Sit out for that long?

Bad signing on his part. But you got to give the dude credit. After this season and after no bitching this season, re-write the contact. 2 games a year we go into the game +7 because of him. Plus he has played good WR so far.

Bad signing on his part. But you got to give the dude credit. After this season and after no bitching this season, re-write the contact. 2 games a year we go into the game +7 because of him. Plus he has played good WR so far.

Ya, I'm definintly not saying he doesn't deserve the paycheck, I just wonder why it seems to be ok for players to complain about a contract that they signed... I guess the real world and the professional sports world are in two different realms.

Maybe someone should explain the definition of a contract to them before they sign.

Guest Masters
Ya, I'm definintly not saying he doesn't deserve the paycheck, I just wonder why it seems to be ok for players to complain about a contract that they signed... I guess the real world and the professional sports world are in two different realms.

Maybe someone should explain the definition of a contract to them before they sign.

It is okay for players to complain about a contract they signed because it is okay for teams to void the contract and cut the player at any time.

I'd agree with that. But in this case, Cribbs isn't complaining during the season.

Exactly. That's why dude gets paid. I think more teams should do that, understand the frustrations of the player for the year and after the year he's plays without bitching, pay him.

Guest Masters
Exactly. That's why dude gets paid. I think more teams should do that, understand the frustrations of the player for the year and after the year he's plays without bitching, pay him.

As long as his performance matches his demands :-)

Cribbs shows this year, in regular season games, he is a valid #2 or #3 WR, he should get paid and very well will get paid.

No I don't think he has done that for sure. Because to earn more money, he needs to show he is TRULY a viable option at reciever. At this point it sure looks that way, but I'd like to see it for at least a half a season. And I respect that he is working his ass of to prove that.

Devon Hester?

To go into a game and know that 2 of those games out of 16 you get a free 7 points. Not only that, the field position (if our offense was worth a shit last year). Does anyone have a stat on our field position when Cribbs gets the ball. Imagine him on New Orleans. He changes a whole team. And is worth way more then he is getting paid.

As long as his performance matches his demands :-)

Cribbs shows this year, in regular season games, he is a valid #2 or #3 WR, he should get paid and very well will get paid.

Well Masters, I don't think it even matters. I just think he will get paid more if he is a viable #2 or #3. He should get a sizable raise no matter what.

Devon Hester had officially been changed to a reciever and given a starting slot if I am correct. and I believe he had actually played some reciever before they changed his contract. AND he was closer to the end of his contract when they re-negotiated.

And no I don't agree that if you are just counting his special team play, that he is worth "way more" than he is paid now. He might be worth a little more as just a special teams player, but as masters said, if he becomes a viable every down player, he'll get paid very very well.

We shall wait and see.....

Guest Masters
Devon Hester?

To go into a game and know that 2 of those games out of 16 you get a free 7 points. Not only that, the field position (if our offense was worth a shit last year). Does anyone have a stat on our field position when Cribbs gets the ball. Imagine him on New Orleans. He changes a whole team. And is worth way more then he is getting paid.

Devon Hester got a new contract that paid him as a starting WR for the Bears, which they also made him. But they gave him that pay day before he played any significant time at WR. That is pretty much when Cribbs talk of wanting a new contract started.

Cribbs is a great asset on ST, but he is currently getting paid quite well for that aspect of his game. Also keep in mind that when he is only filling the roll of returner and ST gunner, he's taking up a roster spot that might other wise be used for a more significant need on the depth chart. Which is just another reason that if he wants more $$, he has to be contributing more than on ST.

Devon Hester got a new contract that paid him as a starting WR for the Bears, which they also made him. But they gave him that pay day before he played any significant time at WR. That is pretty much when Cribbs talk of wanting a new contract started.

Cribbs is a great asset on ST, but he is currently getting paid quite well for that aspect of his game. Also keep in mind that when he is only filling the roll of returner and ST gunner, he's taking up a roster spot that might other wise be used for a more significant need on the depth chart. Which is just another reason that if he wants more $$, he has to be contributing more than on ST.

I'll agree to disagree here. Point taken, we'll see.

Interesting point here. 06-08 Hester had 11 TD's either on punts or kickoffs. In 08-09 after they made him a full time receiver (51 receptions), zero TD's.

I think any coach would take those 11 TD's over 51 receptions and 660 yards any day.

Guest Masters
Interesting point here. 06-08 Hester had 11 TD's either on punts or kickoffs. In 08-09 after they made him a full time receiver (51 receptions), zero TD's.

I think any coach would take those 11 TD's over 51 receptions and 660 yards any day.

Part of that decline is the fact that no team will punt the ball anywhere near Hester. His opportunities to actually return a kick for a score are almost zero now. Cribbs is going to start seeing that same respect soon. Teams last year already started to try and kick away from Cribbs.

Part of that decline is the fact that no team will punt the ball anywhere near Hester. His opportunities to actually return a kick for a score are almost zero now. Cribbs is going to start seeing that same respect soon. Teams last year already started to try and kick away from Cribbs.

Maybe true. But that is a BIG drop. But guarantee it gives there team good field position, kicking away. Also valuable.

They kick away from Cribbs and we get good field position. You know.

Since I'm lazy and this is essentially a duplicate thread.. I will cut and paste my reply from the duplicate thread...

Sorry but cribbs is not the next Jerry Rice.. He's not even the next Brian Brennan.. He is barely learning the reciever spot..he still runs lousy routes.. he's a great kick returner.. Let him prove he can be a reciever and THEN pay him... I think it's a bad precedent to set if we redo a contract that was just redone a year ago.. I am not yet convinced he will be a good receiver.. I he kicks butt at reciever this year 50-65 catches 700 yards and 5-7 td's.. you can make it up to him in bonus money when you redo the next contract.. If he catches 35 balls for 350 yards and 3 scores.. then what he has now is just fine.

SHUT UP AND PLAY... the money will come

Since I'm lazy and this is essentially a duplicate thread.. I will cut and paste my reply from the duplicate thread...

If he catches 35 balls for 350 yards and 3 scores.. then what he has now is just fine.

SHUT UP AND PLAY... the money will come

So if he puts up Stallworth like numbers, he'll have to wait to make Stallworth like money?

So if he puts up Stallworth like numbers, he'll have to wait to make Stallworth like money?

Last year what Stallworth did (worst year of his career/injured) still exceeds Cribbs ENTIRE career stats.

You don't throw money at a guy with 16 catches over 3 years. Stallworth had 289 career catches before last years disaster. Donte was paid on proven prior performance...

Cribbs has a lot to prove IMO before you throw money at him.. He just signed a contract..

Oh, he has FIVE whole catches this preseason.. YEAH your right he deserves a raise.. 5 catches in 3 games WOW!!!!

Archived