THE BROWNS BOARD

Covid Crushing the Browns

Zombo

24 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's not the problem Cal...  The problem is the damn omicron variant is now the dominant variant in Ohio- 70% of cases and going up fast.  Super transmissible person to person too.  :( Unfortunately, the vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) are only slightly effective at preventing infection...Like 30%, if that. Tretter thought he was coming down with a cold.. and BTW, he's been triple vaccinated.

Like I told Steve over on the Poli Board... We're never going to get rid of this bug, (even if we had a 100% vaccination rate) 90% of the Expert Epidemiologists are in agreement about that... Westside had a point, it's going to be the same reason we've never been able to come up with a vaccine against the common cold- too many different strains of it floating around.

I hope by next fall the hysteria surrounding covid will subside. It's not just killing the NFL- the NBA and NHL have been cancelling games too. 

BTW- per Yahoo! sports... The initial league stance was they were just going to cancel those three games that eventually got moved. However the NFLPA (that Tretter is president of)- said no way Jose, we don't want to miss out on our game checks.  

So, you are saying that we can never put the evil covid genie back into the bottle. I guess so. At least covid was not a highly lethal strain - it went every freaking where in the world. I mean, some years ago, I read the book "GERMS", ....and it occurred to me, to be so grateful that this covid was not highly lethal. Instead of our football games being screwed up, ........ as far as omicron goes... it initially manifested itself in S. Africa? one guy? then one guy comes from S. Africa and it's already in every state?

Anyways, we lived in isolation at first, having fun staying in. But people need to keep living - so we keep using our masks, most of the time, but life goes on. We got our vaccines and booster months later, a lot of us? know someone that got it.

But after one more NFL draft, dammit, we are goin to the freakin super bowl, or I'm going to go back to college and become an expert virologist and .....

never mind. It's just that we missed the playoffs THIS year. lol. dammit.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

1) So, you are saying that we can never put the evil covid genie back into the bottle.

2)  never mind. It's just that we missed the playoffs THIS year. lol. dammit.

1) Yes sadly, we're never going to be able to put the covid genie back in the bottle and ship it back to China. I say that with a high degree of confidence. But look on the (brighter) side- there's already several anti covid pills in the pipeline, and the early reports are they're damn effective. Mighty expensive now, but expect the price to come down as production is ramped up.  We're both old enough to remember back in the 1980s, if you came down with AIDS- it was a 100% guaranteed death sentence, no longer the case. AFAIK HIV positive Magic Johnson is still alive and kicking decades later. BTW, the new covid pills are based on the shoulders of those antiretroviral pills that are keeping HIV infected folks alive. 

2) I got lucky enough to score one of those Football From the Hardland t-shirts.. We may as well call it "Football From the Hard Luck Land".  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  Covid, whatever variant is here to stay

Signed, sealed, and delivered with love from China.

What would be your verdict regarding unvaxed players with asymptomatic positive testing players?  Say, if the unvaxed caught it, died and then his family sued the nfl... 

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

What would be your verdict regarding unvaxed players with asymptomatic positive testing players?  Say, if the unvaxed caught it, died and then his family sued the nfl... 

just glue a covid mask onto their facemask, problem solved.....

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Then they have no legal leg to stand on. The NFL spelled it out pretty clearly before the season started. You may remember Green Bay got fined a few hundred K, and Aaron Rodgers tens of thousands for breaking protocol...  You'd think the holdouts would get tired of the level of testing they're subject to. FWIW, I've needed to get PCR tested a couple of times, and it's not a very pleasant experience. 

There's still a few adamant antivaxxers in the NFL listening to fake pseudo-science. ( Saw the Mommy pregnancy sites are a real good source). MHO? If you're that worried the the vaccines are going to either magnetize, inject a microchip, make you sterile, or kill you...  Find another occupation, or find a cave somewhere to live in. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Orion said:

I'm not sure they would be able to verify they got it from a player. They would be just if not more likely to get it from the public.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Say if a player (vaxed or not) was killed in a car crash on the way to practice (far more likely) and then sued the Ford Motor Corp...

Hey, this is fun! 

1 hour ago, Kegeratorz said:

I'm not sure they would be able to verify they got it from a player. They would be just if not more likely to get it from the public.

If by public you mean grocery stores,  doctor's visits,  restaurants, pubs, bars, anywhere people hang out....... yeah.

Saw on the local news today they've found deer in Ohio with covid......no kidding on CBS WKBN 27.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Say if a player (vaxed or not) was killed in a car crash on the way to practice (far more likely) and then sued the Ford Motor Corp...

Hey, this is fun! 

Not funny, while we're at it...but maybe Henry Ruggs should sue Chevrolet for building a Corvette that could go 156mph...  I did see a special teamer for the WFT Deshazor Everett was involved in a fatality last night where his passenger was killed. Went off the road, hit a few trees, and flipped over.  

Our kicker has tested positive for covid.    Begin with the wise cracks.  :)

Baker, Landry and Keenum supposedly activated off of covid list.  I mean, we had absolutely no hope without Baker and Landry.

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Our kicker has tested positive for covid.    Begin with the wise cracks.  :)

Baker, Landry and Keenum supposedly activated off of covid list.  I mean, we had absolutely no hope without Baker and Landry.

I believe our old pal Cody Par-kay is out there just waiting for another chance to boink one off of a goalpost.  :)  Aw, spoke too soon, looks like we have a resident street FA we had stashed on the practice squad for that possibility...  And we can always resign Jaimie Gillian, he has some place kicking talent.  

Activated from reserve/COVID-19 (5):

CB A.J. Green, QB Case Keenum, WR Jarvis LandryQB Baker Mayfield, DE Ifeadi Odenigbo

Placed on reserve/COVID-19 (2):

DT Jordan Elliott, K Chase McLaughlin

Waived (2):

WR Lawrence Cager, TE Miller Forristall

Placed on practice squad/COVID-19 (1):

S Tedric Thompson

Released from practice squad/COVID-19 (1):

TE Ross Travis

Activated from practice squad as COVID/19 replacement (8):

S Adrian Colbert, G Hjalte Froholdt, DE Joe Jackson, CB Herb Miller, S Jovante Moffatt, QB Nick Mullens, K Chris Naggar, DE Curtis Weaver

• Sad 1

FWIW, Covid isn't just crushing the Browns in particular, it's crushing Cuyahoga County in general.  The Dayton newspaper publishes the latest covid updates... Here Dayton way the rate is 50\100k, Cleveland area 265\100k, over five times greater. I've had seven family members test positive, and one relative of my niece wound up in ICU. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

looks like we have a resident street FA we had stashed on the practice squad for that possibility...

Yeah, we've had the kicker on the PS all year.  Tretter is a big loss.

I'll be hosting Christmas at the time of the game so I'll watch sporadically.  

On 12/24/2021 at 9:22 AM, Orion said:

How do you prove where you became infected?  

The answer is you don't and can't.

• Thanks 1

So now we need to get guys back from the covid list.  Like our LT.    Since the game is Monday night that should mean that several players will be past the 10 day limit and be able to return provided they don't have symptoms.  Go Rams. Go Chiefs.

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

So now we need to get guys back from the covid list.  Like our LT.    Since the game is Monday night that should mean that several players will be past the 10 day limit and be able to return provided they don't have symptoms.  Go Rams. Go Chiefs.

It sure would help if we can get Tretter and Hunt back too.

BTW, talking with my Mom Christmas day, Cleveland and Cuyahoga County are #3 in the country on the covid hotspot list. Color me not at all surprised. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

It sure would help if we can get Tretter and Hunt back too.

Yes!  Hunt is a better receiver than Chubb which applies additional stress to a defense.  I'm not sure if Tretter will make the 10 day time factor.

19 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

might signal a positive with Joe Burrow?

it's not nice to wish anything negative on anybody. <devil horns>

...having said that, we would want him to test positive on Friday such that he will miss the remainder of the schedule.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

it's not nice to wish anything negative on anybody. <devil horns>

I like Joe Burrow especially after his comments regarding the game Sunday when the Ravens of all teams were complaining about him throwing the ball to surpass a total.  The irony behind that story the Ravens could have taken a knee against another team (early this year) but they chose to run the ball so they could keep their 100 yard rushing streak in tact.   Harbaugh defended that.

John and Jim both have the most selective memories when it comes to stuff like that.

Anyway how about  good health for Joe but a bad game for him this week and next.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/28/2021 at 3:09 PM, 7moses7 said:

Only thing crushing the Browns is Baker Mayfield 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Please, he really doesn't deserve quite that  many barfs. Just one for every sub 60 qbr..🤮 🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2021 at 12:17 PM, Orion said:

we would want him to test positive on Friday such that he will miss the remainder of the schedule. 

Umm, scratch that.  The NFL announced that COVID policy has been reduced from 10 to 5 days.