THE BROWNS BOARD

Amazon love them or hate them?

Westside Steve

Ol' Mr Spaceman Bezos has found the combination to become an invaluable place in a LOT of people's daily or weekly buying habits........ and further hurt small and almost all other businesses in the USA.

And now with the covid pandemic has become almost a more important part of our lives....... and created even more piles of cardboard that nobody wants.

And even with his divorce is one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Love 💖 or hate 😈 I guess it's up to your point of view.

I was shocked but not necessarily surprised that people actually died in an Amazon facility.

Will lawsuits follow....... pretty much the norm in America now,  I'm sure some families have talked with lawyers by now.

It was a terrible tragedy that hit in December.

5 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

I worked in a pipe mill in pennsylvania...damn tornado struck 10 miles away...no one knew...to busy working.  

1985 ?    It just missed our house in Niles Ohio by about a ½ mile.   Some of our friends and neighbors got hit.

34 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

1985 ?    It just missed our house in Niles Ohio by about a ½ mile.   Some of our friends and neighbors got hit.

Yeah...the cemetary got it pretty hard and the skating rink never recovered

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Ol' Mr Spaceman Bezos has found the combination to become an invaluable place in a LOT of people's daily or weekly buying habits........ and further hurt small and almost all other businesses in the USA.

ironic that Sears that began as a mail-order company has been put out of business by a mail-order company. Will The Circle Be Unbroken?

And now with the covid pandemic* has become almost a more important part of our lives....... and created even more piles of cardboard that nobody wants.

And even with his divorce is one of the wealthiest people in the world.

Love 💖 or hate 😈 I guess it's up to your point of view.

* actually PT Barnum had more to do with that one may he rest in peace.

WSS 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

* actually PT Barnum had more to do with that one may he rest in peace.

WSS 

Oh yeah the big old Sears catalog.   Out where they had outhouses they waited patiently for the new catalogs so they could " retire " the old ones.

The death of Sears hit the malls hard another core store *gone *'.

And ol' P. T. ?    His impact on this ?

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Oh yeah the big old Sears catalog.   Out where they had outhouses they waited patiently for the new catalogs so they could " retire " the old ones.

The death of Sears hit the malls hard another core store *gone *'.

And ol' P. T. ?    His impact on this ?

Look for the asterisk.

😆

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I was shocked but not necessarily surprised that people actually died in an Amazon facility.

Will lawsuits follow....... pretty much the norm in America now,  I'm sure some families have talked with lawyers by now.

It was a terrible tragedy that hit in December.

Act of god.  Probably little warning.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Look for the asterisk.

😆

Oh........ maybe.,..... well I always thought the gov & former president were  eh.........The famed showman P.T. Barnum allegedly said that “you can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time!”

Well, it seems that our governor and our previous president have both managed to upstage Barnum by successfully fooling all of their supporters all of the time.

There are many examples but let's focus on COVID 19, the deadly public health challenge that morphed into the broader political, economic and social crisis for which the two politicians bear considerable responsibility.  

First the facts: a heart-wrenching tale of illness, prolonged and costly hospital stays, more than 750,000 deaths in the U.S. and five million worldwide. Florida’s summer 2020 COVID surge took 12,500 lives; the 2021 summer surge claimed 19,000. Five times as many police officers have died from COVID than from gunfire. The documented U.S. COVID death rate .......... continued.........

Just now, mjp28 said:

Oh........ maybe.,..... well I always thought the gov & former president were  eh.........The famed showman P.T. Barnum allegedly said that “you can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time!”

Well, it seems that our governor and our previous president have both managed to upstage Barnum by successfully fooling all of their supporters all of the time.

There are many examples but let's focus on COVID 19, the deadly public health challenge that morphed into the broader political, economic and social crisis for which the two politicians bear considerable responsibility.  

First the facts: a heart-wrenching tale of illness, prolonged and costly hospital stays, more than 750,000 deaths in the U.S. and five million worldwide. Florida’s summer 2020 COVID surge took 12,500 lives; the 2021 summer surge claimed 19,000. Five times as many police officers have died from COVID than from gunfire. The documented U.S. COVID death rate .......... continued.........

Florida has the safest rate do to their fantastic governor and (hopefully) future President,.,

• Upvote 1

Absolutely 100% hate Amazon.

I'm not against anybody making a living. But a company like Amazon really made out (still making out) during this Covid era, taking in billion$ while small businesses shut down. And they squashed a worker's union movement in their company while doing so. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-violated-labor-law-alabama-union-election-labor-official-finds-rcna1582

The convenience of clicking on your phone to shop has killed small businesses, even Sears, JC Penny. 

Is Amazon innovative? Yes. Definitely changed the landscape of America. It doesn't mean we have to like it.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

I'm not against anybody making a living. But a company like Amazon really made out (still making out) during this Covid era, taking in billion$ while small businesses shut down. And they squashed a worker's union movement in their company while doing so. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/amazon-violated-labor-law-alabama-union-election-labor-official-finds-rcna1582

The convenience of clicking on your phone to shop has killed small businesses, even Sears, JC Penny. 

Is Amazon innovative? Yes. Definitely changed the landscape of America. It doesn't mean we have to like it.

But face it, we do love it we just love bitching more. With a distribution center how about 4 miles from my house in the old Rolling Acres Mall I can order shit this afternoon and get it in the middle of the night.

I can also choose among a hundred similar if not exactly the same items. And don't forget the people who hate Walmart because of all the cheap Chinese stuff they sell they can go right online and buy the most expensive us built piece of gear they could possibly want. But most of them are probably just looking for the cheap Chinese product a few pennies cheaper than it costs at Walmart.

WSS

• Upvote 1

ps I remember the morning the fact that Guitar Center and Sam Ash put the mom and pop music store out of business. But if I wanted to buy a Fender Stratocaster there are 50 of them in the big store and maybe one or two in the mom and pop store. Now there are a thousand of them online.

There sure are reasons one might prefer shopping Best Buy than Amazon but remember Best Buy isn't a mom-and-pop store either.

WSS 

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Amazing.   Sears and JCP getting steamrolled like ma and pa shops.   Our Southern Park Mall built by EJ Debartolo has already lost key stores Dillards and Sears with JCP on life support.  They've already torn down the Sears auto and the Sears store and turned it into a recreational area ????   All that's left is Macy's.

Amazon has the formula Target and Walmart (the old small business killer) are trying to fight back.

Amazon has won for now,. we even buy our canned vegetables by the 12 packs from them.  Shopping in your pajamas  at night how easy is that......oh get some batteries and ink pens while you're at it.

Actually the Opie mentioned the fact that Bezos gave some money to an anti-vaxxer organization so I was wondering if Joe Biden lovers hate him now. Anyway...

Which mom and pop stores in downtown Noheresville USA would you prefer to shop in if they were magically brought back to life in their old location?

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually the Opie mentioned the fact that Bezos gave some money to an anti-vaxxer organization so I was wondering if Joe Biden lovers hate him now. Anyway...

Which mom and pop stores in downtown Noheresville USA would you prefer to shop in if they were magically brought back to life in their old location?

WSS

Radio shack

2 hours ago, Axe said:

I just wish I'd bought a ton of Amazon stock back when then thought first occurred to me

Amazon stock was dirt cheap until about 2016 then zoooom !  Doesn't pay a dividend but it's strictly a capital appreciation stock......... and it really appreciated !

One of those " I wish I put  $ x,xxx in AMZN about 20xx.   It's only up about 18% in the last 52 weeks but.......

Screenshot_2021-12-17_223903.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

thats what i found strange about this story - i thought Bezo's / amazon shared the bed with the likes of zuckerberg / cuban/ dorsey / google guy etc

ill take it as a blip

I liked Sears

even up til the rise of amazon,  every time Sears faltered ( and there were a few times..)  it always managed to survive. 

5 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

thats what i found strange about this story - i thought Bezo's / amazon shared the bed with the likes of zuckerberg / cuban/ dorsey / google guy etc

ill take it as a blip

I liked Sears

even up til the rise of amazon,  every time Sears faltered ( and there were a few times..)  it always managed to survive. 

I like to see yours too. Again it's not a mom and pop. Any mom and pop store I can remember existing went out of business to a chain of some kind decades for Amazon was even heard of. I'm thinking maybe music stores with the last to fall?

WSS 

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I like to see yours too. Again it's not a mom and pop. Any mom and pop store I can remember existing went out of business to a chain of some kind decades for Amazon was even heard of. I'm thinking maybe music stores with the last to fall?

WSS 

I remember Peaches at Southgate years ago - and then probably went to North Randall when they opened. 

when vinyl was king i liked the used record type store over new record stores. 

like books in a library - I prefer to touch them, read them before Id buy it. 

in Mpls this record/head shop survived 53 years now  - https://electricfetus.com/

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS 

There is a music store on the corner of Snow and Ridge in Parma.  Been there since the 60's  I think.