THE BROWNS BOARD

Hello, Brantley

CIMO.

With rosters expanding from 25 to 40 today, the Indians have purchased the contract of Triple-A Columbus outfielder Michael Brantley and added him to the active roster. As noted earlier, Triple-A Columbus right-handed starter Carlos Carrasco will also be added today and make his major league debut against Detroit.

Brantley's callup now suggests that DH Travis Hafner may be shutdown for the rest of the season or play sparingly, thus allowing center fielder Grady Sizemore to be moved to DH the rest of the month or even being shut down himself.

No word yet on any other potential callups today, but the Indians are expected to have just a few players added to the roster today and then will have another set of players added when Columbus' season ends on Monday September 7th. Catcher Lou Marson will surely be added, though it is not sure if that will happen today or in the next wave. Also, right-hander Hector Rondon is most likely not going to be added to the roster, but will likely still spend some time in Cleveland once the Columbus season ends.

http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/

Has it ever been more fun watching a lost season?

Post all-star break numbers: 126 ABs, .286 avg, .783 OPS, 17 walks to 8 strikeouts...13 steals (46 on the year).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say he's working out pretty well, 4 hits last night and his only game without a hit being against the best pitcher in baseball. A great defensive left fielder who can back up in center, get on base and run like crazy, I think we found our next Kenny. I really hope it's his job to lose next spring...enough of the stop-gaps.

Brantley - LF

Sizemore - CF

Choo - RF

LaPorta/Hafner/Peralta

makes a very nice top of the lineup. I think Asdrubal is ideally more of a bottom of the lineup player, but if he keeps hitting .300 I'm fine keeping him in the 2-hole. Hopefully someone steps up as a true cleanup hitter (preferably LaPorta) and Choo becomes our Vic replacement in the 3-hole.

I'd say he's working out pretty well, 4 hits last night and his only game without a hit being against the best pitcher in baseball. A great defensive left fielder who can back up in center, get on base and run like crazy, I think we found our next Kenny. I really hope it's his job to lose next spring...enough of the stop-gaps.

Brantley - LF

Sizemore - CF

Choo - RF

LaPorta/Hafner/Peralta

makes a very nice top of the lineup. I think Asdrubal is ideally more of a bottom of the lineup player, but if he keeps hitting .300 I'm fine keeping him in the 2-hole. Hopefully someone steps up as a true cleanup hitter (preferably LaPorta) and Choo becomes our Vic replacement in the 3-hole.

I'd like to see Gray in the 3-hole, w/ Brantley leading off and Astrubal in the 2 spot.

I wouldn't really object to Grady batting third...but I wouldn't prefer it. He can smash the ball, but I think with his walks and baserunning ability, and reasonably weak average, he's still more valuable at the top of the order. Walks and steals don't do much good with runners in scoring position. I do think his RBI potential is wasted as a leadoff hitter, but having a true table setter like Brantley in front of him will do wonders for that.

Archived