THE BROWNS BOARD

Jags complete snatch and stash with Don Carey

Kingphisher

I wish they would have gone with 79 so we could have placed him on IR after the first round of cuts. I really thought this kid had potential.

Jags complete "snatch-and-stash" move with Don Carey

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2009 12:27 PM ET

The Jacksonville Jaguars were criticized in some circles last month for snagging cornerback Don Carey from the Browns.

Carey, a sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft, was "waived/injured" by the Browns due to a shoulder injury that likely was going to keep him from playing this year.

If Carey had passed through waivers, he would have gone to Cleveland's injured reserve list.

But the Jaguars claimed Carey on waivers.

Frankly, it was a mess the Browns created for themselves.

Before the first roster cuts, non-vested veterans (players with less than four years of service) can't be automatically shipped to injured reserve. The goal is to prevent the stashing of young players.

A team that doesn't want to expose a young player to waivers must wait until the first slicing of the roster from 80 to 75, at which time a non-vested veteran can be moved straight to injured reserve. It requires the team to use one less total body in practice and preseason games, but it keeps the young player from being exposed to waivers.

I don't want to even think about this anymore. It pisses me off we got cute to begin with. I can't even chalk this up to rookie mistakes. I think it was a matter of counting on professional courtesy by 31 other teams and as I always say "hope is not a method."

We owe the Jags FO payback bigtime.

So we cut a stiff like Roderick Hood and let a guy like Carey walk for absolutely nothing. I said it when it happened, but this was a blunder by the Browns. You just don't count on something like that working because you can't trust anybody.

I can't begin to imagine how important that camp body had to be.

This and not picking up Sutton are two early whiffs by the new regime.

Guest TheJokersWILD

Why is everyone getting thier panties in a bind about losing Carey? I can understand letting one of your draft picks walk for nothing but it sound like everyone thinks we just let Champ Bailey go. GET OVER IT.

Guest TheJokersWILD
So we cut a stiff like Roderick Hood and let a guy like Carey walk for absolutely nothing. I said it when it happened, but this was a blunder by the Browns. You just don't count on something like that working because you can't trust anybody.

I can't begin to imagine how important that camp body had to be.

This and not picking up Sutton are two early whiffs by the new regime.

Every new regime has a few bumps in the road, would you rather have these kinda bumps or the huge freakin potholes like Devner and let your franchise QB walk?

Why is everyone getting thier panties in a bind about losing Carey? I can understand letting one of your draft picks walk for nothing but it sound like everyone thinks we just let Champ Bailey go. GET OVER IT.

He was having a good camp, is a high-character, smart, Mangini-type guy. His injury prevented him from seeing any preseason game time, but he was really solid this summer. It'd be like if we lost Davis from waivers (both 6th rounders) before he started performing well in the preseason games. He too had a really solid camp.

Because Carey had a lot of upside. Very good athlete with intelligence and a nose for the ball.

He went in the 6th because he went to a small school.

NOTICE HOW QUICKLY HE GOT PICKED UP AFTER WE WAIVED HIM? I WONDER WHY?

The reason everyone is "getting thier(sic) panties in a bind" is because we lost the above just to be able to bring in another camp body for a week-and-a-half or so.

To make it a little simpler for you to understand: we tried to "sneak" him through with the waived/injured (risking losing him, which we did) to free up a temporary roster spot, just so one of the 5 guys we just cut could be in camp for 10 days or so. I highly doubt any of those guys being in camp for that time period was worth losing Carey (who we could have put on IR as of today had we not waived and lost him at the time.)

Guest TheJokersWILD
He was having a good camp, is a high-character, smart, Mangini-type guy. His injury prevented him from seeing any preseason game time, but he was really solid this summer. It'd be like if we lost Davis from waivers (both 6th rounders) before he started performing well in the preseason games. He too had a really solid camp.

I realize these things happen, just a bump in the road for the new regime. If it starts happening on a regular basis then I will be worried. Hood also was signed quickly too after we let him go.

Let me take a crack at teaching you something about football here. The Browns have sucked since 1994 sans a couple fluke seasons. The main reason they have sucked is injuries and failed/slash wasted draft picks and opportunities. Perhaps you prefer Scott Milanovich over Kurt Warner, or maybe Antonio Gates right out of Kent State over Darnell Sanders or Ricky Dudley. These guys were free, just like Sutton would have been. Do you see a plethora of talented backs on our roster right now? Carey wasn't even free, he was a sixth round pick taken in the same round as James Davis and rated heavily on many teams radar, including our arch rivals.

Carey was held in such high regard that the Jags went above and beyond NFL protocol to sign him, basically defying an unwritten code amongst NFL admins. We don't know what and if Carey will ever amount to, but the bottom line is we let a draft pick walk away to another AFC team all for the sake of a camp spot. A guy who many thought had major upside and talent to go along with a nice IQ and size. Corners with size are a bitch to find in the NFL that are any good, and as you can see we just cut Rod Hood who has had a decent career.

Are you going to be here saying you are sorry for being upset at us football fans for caring about such a stupid thing as a guy like Don Carey if he turns into a solid starter or even Pro Bowler? I doubt it, you'll be the first one bitching about how we were stupid and careless and let a class kid walk.

Good teams are made by solid scouting and hitting on those lower round picks at a better rate than most. Francies has been a huge and pleasant surprise so far, just imagine if Carey were to turn out just as good as him or better. It's the little things bro, that's what makes good franchises. All I'm doing is pointing out two mistakes I've seen this new regime make so far, but after my rant I will go back to smooching the Mancock as you wish.

PS I did the same thing with Phillip and his Oklahoma fetish before guys thought it was fashionable.

Guest TheJokersWILD

One more thing about Carey, so far it seems like the new regime has found more jems in one draft than Savage did in his entire tenure here. When you look at guys like Francies,Maiava,MoMass, and Davis, it's gotta make you feel a little better about letting one slip through your fingers. Hell, even the free-agents that Mangini brought in are better than Sabotage's :) Guys like Mosley,Coleman,Barton,Elam, and especially Furrey have been solid so far.

One more thing about Carey, so far it seems like the new regime has found more jems in one draft than Savage did in his entire tenure here. When you look at guys like Francies,Maiava,MoMass, and Davis, it's gotta make you feel a little better about letting one slip through your fingers. Hell, even the free-agents that Mangini brought in are better than Sabotage's :) Guys like Mosley,Coleman,Barton,Elam, and especially Furrey have been solid so far.

No doubt. That's why we wanted to see Carey but they dicked it up, plain and simple.

When you see the cuts coming up, just look at the names you don't know. Those are some of the guys we deemed had to be "camp bodies" in lieu of someone with potential.

Guest TheJokersWILD
No doubt. That's why we wanted to see Carey but they dicked it up, plain and simple.

When you see the cuts coming up, just look at the names you don't know. Those are some of the guys we deemed had to be "camp bodies" in lieu of someone with potential.

I don't disagree with you on that, I see it as one that got away and we should press forward. I don't know how Mack,Veikune, and Robo will pan out but think those other four rookies will be solid players. One out of four isn't bad, just hope it doesn't happen again.

While I agree Mangini has brought in talent, let's not write off Savage yet.

Rogers, Wimbley(got a sack finally), Hall (pick 6), B-mac & Wright (is any other team's starting corners from the same draft class?), 2 guys supposedly competing for our starting QB, Corey williams seems to be figuring it out, Rubin has had a monster preseason, Harrison if he gets back to form, Cribbs, Dqwell....

While I agree Mangini has brought in talent, let's not write off Savage yet.

Rogers, Wimbley(got a sack finally), Hall (pick 6), B-mac & Wright (is any other team's starting corners from the same draft class?), 2 guys supposedly competing for our starting QB, Corey williams seems to be figuring it out, Rubin has had a monster preseason, Harrison if he gets back to form, Cribbs, Dqwell....

Give it up man. Wimbley doesn't have the athletic ability or fire. Hall is at best a backup. B-Mac is bland and Wright is at tops, a number 2 corner. He deserves no "credit" with Quinn at all as that was Randy's call and I bet Quinn is just serviceable. Corey Williams isn't figuring out anything. He is consistantly beat off the ball and pushed downfield. Rubin has had a monster preseason? Really, I call it the preseason as he has only held his ground.

Alot of what you wanted, will evap before your eyes.

Give it up man. Wimbley doesn't have the athletic ability or fire. Hall is at best a backup. B-Mac is bland and Wright is at tops, a number 2 corner. He deserves no "credit" with Quinn at all as that was Randy's call and I bet Quinn is just serviceable. Corey Williams isn't figuring out anything. He is consistantly beat off the ball and pushed downfield. Rubin has had a monster preseason? Really, I call it the preseason as he has only held his ground.

Alot of what you wanted, will evap before your eyes.

You really don't like the Browns Football Team, do you?

Archived