THE BROWNS BOARD

It's All About The QB! Always has been!

Orion

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Rosen many were wrong but there were some red flags with Work Ethic at UCLA.

In this same mold it is what looks to doom Dwayne Haskins career. Great physical tools, good fundamentals and can spin it with accuracy and anticipation.  

By all accounts he has refused to work hard in the NFL.  It sucks because I believed he was a very capable prospect, and in that respect I suppose I wasn't wrong.  In a sense I also suppose as Browns fans we should be grateful.  He fell into a situation in Pittsbugh where he could helm a cornerstone and stable franchise but has failed to take the initiative.  Clock is winding down and doesn't look good for him, similar to what possessed Rosen - just a lack of commitment. 

7 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Baker is basically a Sober Johnny Manziel

I called him Manziel 2.0 back during the draft...

They are both 2 short

That's "short sighted", LOL.   Baker is almost exactly the same height as Brett Farve, and taller than Brees. If you want to talk short, you can have Kyler Murray.  

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I remember your posting as this exactly ^ ^

1) I also was 1a/1b on both.. Mayfield became my 1st round choice during his Senior Bowl. Bake's Combine presser just cemented him as my choice.

Darnold saw ghosts...predraft.. I watched his same ghost, that refused to protect a football when in pocket panic mode... Guess what I missed? Baker has become just as bad ! 😕

2) My largest Mayfield fail to see? He's cocky .. 

“I already know what exactly I need to work on and improve going forward,” Mayfield said, via the Akron Beacon Journal. “That is the exciting thing about it, it is always a continual process of getting better and improving.”

1) Ditto, though Cal doesn't believe that ..I had Rosen as a distant 3rd, and Allen as a second round pick...  

2) Then you're going to fail Baker... Self examination won't work....   Sorry- I may not know all that much about NFL Quarterbacks throwing a football, but one thing I feel competent to expound on, having played the game on the collegiate level- is top level Tennis players.  They ALL have private coaches.  Novak, Nadal, Serena, ALL of them...  Sure Baker... after you hit a tennis serve 20, 30,000 times you should be able to do it in your sleep.  Hate to tell you as far as throwing mechanics work, or realizing that there's some major flaws in your game that an outside eye could help you in a big way, go ahead, cocky away.  You already proved to me (and to a lot of other Browns fans) that you're as stubborn as a Missouri Mule and get a big FAIL  accurately self diagnosing your ability to accurately throw a football post injury.   

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

That's "short sighted", LOL.   Baker is almost exactly the same height as Brett Farve, and taller than Brees. If you want to talk short, you can have Kyler Murray.  

Brett Farve is 6'3 225lbs.

So by "almost exactly" then, sure... if you had 3 inches and 20lbs or so.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, Flugel said:

Cal does a lot of his own research

FTFY. 

If you're throwing darts and miss so bad you hit the guy walking out of the bathroom and just by random luck bullseye the next one.. you're not A Good Thrower Now And ForeverMore Because Shut Up That's Why.  Randomness is a thing..

Allen turned out to be the 1 in 1000 guy who was humble enough to actually make fundamental changes.  I've linked before to the Kollmann vid where he describes the actual change in form.  Baker.. Is Dangerous without the work ethic to make himself better.

The part that's frustrating about Baker is that he appears to have the defensiveness of a person who's accomplished something but fears he is being found out.. but can't let himself hang up the ego to both do self-evaluation to discern where he could get better and then lay out a plan to actually accomplish that something by addressing those areas.

I don't need to befriend him to know this.. this is a cold hard evaluation of the film.  Or, you know, of reading Tia's evaluations of the film.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:40 AM, tiamat63 said:

I'm going to stop you right there on that one - hard no.

Cal's ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to his newsletterVideo

"By your logic, I could claim that this rock is keeping tigers away from our suburb."

Josh Allen was this big, corn-fed hick from Bum Fuck Hickland, USA with a cannon for an arm.

He was the shiny object of the QB class of 2018. Of course cal would be drawn to him, like a hick moth to a hick flame. 

It's the same reason he's drawn to a random 6'8" 350lb Offensive or Defensive Tackle every draft. 

Ooh! Look how shiny!

baloney. not even entertaining. I imagine Andrew Berry and Alex Van Pelt know more about football.....

"I'll plant the flag when we go 17-0 next year": Baker ...

Andrew Berry on Baker Mayfield: "We know his work ethic. We know his drive. We see him as a talented passer in this league… We expect him to bounce back next year." #Browns — Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) January 11, 2022 .

Alex Van Pelt praises Baker Mayfield's extra effort, work ...

New Browns OC Alex Van Pelt praises Baker Mayfield's extra effort, work ethic. Share this article 92 shares share tweet text email link Jeff Risdon. June 4, 2020 9:18 am ET. Browns offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt is the lastest assistant coach to step up to the Zoom camera and host a teleconference with reporters. ...
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Brett Farve is 6'3 225lbs.

So by "almost exactly" then, sure... if you had 3 inches and 20lbs or so.

Sorry... Not according to pro football reference.. (And a lot of other sites too)... Favre 6'2", 222.... Baker 6'1, 215... I call that statistically insignificant, and the 6'1" was a combine measurement.  FWIW.. Brees 6'0", 209... Midget Murray 5'10", 207 (almost no one believes that though)  

BTW, Joe Montana was 6'2"- you're not going to convince me one stinking inch in height makes that huge a difference.  

2 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Sorry... Not according to pro football reference.. (And a lot of other sites too)... Favre 6'2", 222.... Baker 6'1, 215... I call that statistically insignificant, and the 6'1" was a combine measurement.  FWIW.. Brees 6'0", 209... Midget Murray 5'10", 207 (almost no one believes that though)  

You'll have to trust me on this, having seen 2 of the 3 in person.  Farve is a solid built 6'3, and was closer to 230lbs prime years.   Baker is a shade under 6'1 in cleats and just north of 2 bills.    Murray on the other hand is 5'10 in cleats and about 190lbs. I have no idea who he paid to inflate those combine numbers, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

You'll have to trust me on this, having seen 2 of the 3 in person.  Farve is a solid built 6'3, and was closer to 230lbs prime years.   Baker is a shade under 6'1 in cleats and just north of 2 bills.    Murray on the other hand is 5'10 in cleats and about 190lbs. I have no idea who he paid to inflate those combine numbers, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

Well, I don't.. :)  Again, sorry... Standing next to someone and putting a measuring tape on them are two different critters entirely.  FWIW, before I started shrinking in my old age I measured nearly 6'2", 1\2" short of that...  I met Dough Dieken decades ago face to face several times at Browns Backers functions.. And you'd never convince me he's 6'5" either.     

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

FTFY. 

If you're throwing darts and miss so bad you hit the guy walking out of the bathroom and just by random luck bullseye the next one.. you're not A Good Thrower Now And ForeverMore Because Shut Up That's Why.  Randomness is a thing..

Allen turned out to be the 1 in 1000 guy who was humble enough to actually make fundamental changes.  I've linked before to the Kollmann vid where he describes the actual change in form.  Baker.. Is Dangerous without the work ethic to make himself better.

The part that's frustrating about Baker is that he appears to have the defensiveness of a person who's accomplished something but fears he is being found out.. but can't let himself hang up the ego to both do self-evaluation to discern where he could get better and then lay out a plan to actually accomplish that something by addressing those areas.

I don't need to befriend him to know this.. this is a cold hard evaluation of the film.  Or, you know, of reading Tia's evaluations of the film.

Cal's ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to his newsletterVideo

"By your logic, I could claim that this rock is keeping tigers away from our suburb."

Regarding Allen, you're preaching to the choir...   

And Cal's crowing about Baker's "tremendous work ethic"....  Well, that doesn't mean diddly squat if he's working on the wrong things, or working on the right things in the wrong way....   In a nutshell, that's why you absolutely need an outside expert who has a trained eye to make suggestions.  Had a personal experience of that when I threw my racket in the car and headed down to Hilton Head for some R&R.  Decided to take a lesson and hit some balls with the Club Pro, after 5 minutes... Well, your footwork could be a lot better.  BTW, we played a set later, and he didn't shut me out either.  :)   

EDIT: And if you bothered to play that tweet in the link.. Well said... the reason the Browns kept putting a wounded Mayfield out there was primarily because he was the #1 overall pick. If he had been taken in the third round (Like Charlie Frye) would Stef still have been playing him? I doubt it.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well, I don't.. :)  Again, sorry... Standing next to someone and putting a measuring tape on them are two different critters entirely.  FWIW, before I started shrinking in my old age I measured nearly 6'2", 1\2" short of that...  I met Dough Dieken decades ago face to face several times at Browns Backers functions.. And you'd never convince me he's 6'5" either.     

Ive seen Bernie Kosar in person and I swear he looks taller than 6'5..

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

And Cal's crowing about Baker's "tremendous work ethic"....  Well, that doesn't mean diddly squat if he's working on the wrong things, or working on the right things in the wrong way.

and Hoorta's deflection is dumb perception. "if a pig had big wings it could fly" LOL. der.

I'll take what Joe Thomas said.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Joe-Thomas-comments-on-Tyrod-Taylor-Baker-Mayfield-Cleveland-Browns-118937843/

As for Mayfield, Thomas praised the work ethic of last year's Heisman Trophy winner.

"It’s great having a guy like that as a rookie," said Thomas of Mayfield. "He’s already smart, but I think he recognizes the work it takes to be an All-Pro quarterback, to be a starting quarterback. He’s willing to put that work in, which is awesome."

Cal, posting links to how Joe Thomas praised Baker for his work ethic as a rookie, apparently forgetting how he showed up for his second NFL season fat, out of shape while getting blowies in the parking lot of The Cheesecake Factory. 🙄

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Cal, posting links to how Joe Thomas praised Baker for his work ethic as a rookie, apparently forgetting how he showed up for his second NFL season fat, out of shape while getting blowies in the parking lot of The Cheesecake Factory. 🙄

I mean, raise your hand if you haven't* gotten your dick sucked in the Cheesecake Factory parking lot.  

... exactly.   We don't throw stones here, boys.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

And your spin is getting really old Cal, especially when someone bothers to check out the link....  Cal's great at posting links to stuff that's a year old, or in this particular case years old that has ZERO relevance to the 2022 off season. 

Let me put it this way for the thick headed one out there....  Great... Baker is shooting for 17-0.  Nothing wrong with confidence or even being a little bit cocky.  I'm taking some of his comments on being damn near arrogant.  I know me better than anyone else. Sorry Mr. Mayfield you don't, certainly not when it comes to specifics you need to work on.  I wish you well, but you're starting to piss me off with an ever increasing shitty attitude. Me against the world.  

MHO? Browns could well have made the playoffs if Baker was willing to admit to himself that he was playing like crap, done the right thing, and let Keenum take over.   

24 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I mean, raise your hand if you haven't* gotten your dick sucked in the Cheesecake Factory parking lot.  

... exactly.   We don't throw stones here, boys.

As incredibly dark as they keep that place - like so dark you need your phone flashlight to be able to read the menu - one could probably get one IN the Cheesecake Factory and no one would notice. 

If it happened while you were eating one of their delicious pieces of cheesecake, even better. 

51 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

As incredibly dark as they keep that place - like so dark you need your phone flashlight to be able to read the menu - one could probably get one IN the Cheesecake Factory and no one would notice. 

If it happened while you were eating one of their delicious pieces of cheesecake, even better. 

But Have you been inside…meal+drinks+cheesecake+fancy coffee Drink= premium paid for chain food and most married people aren’t walking away with a happy ending.  

But Im with you the cheesecake is very good. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

But Have you been inside…meal+drinks+cheesecake+fancy coffee Drink= premium paid for chain food and most married people aren’t walking away with a happy ending.  

But Im with you the cheesecake is very good. 

You can make way better cheese cake at home. And not deal with people you don’t want to be around

To get back on topic, Kyler Murray won’t last 5 years in the NFL. Someone will go, Buddy Ryan, and take him out

He is way way way to small to last at QB in the NFL. He can’t be a pocket QB on a consistent basis, and that is pretty much the only way to last at QB in the NFL

• Thanks 1

good news on Budda..  that looked bad... and we don't need ambulance cams out of stadiums

Happy most for Matthew Stafford... He's really played well all night

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

And your spin is getting really old Cal, especially when someone bothers to check out the link....  Cal's great at posting links to stuff that's a year old, or in this particular case years old that has ZERO relevance to the 2022 off season. 

Let me put it this way for the thick headed one out there....  Great... Baker is shooting for 17-0.  Nothing wrong with confidence or even being a little bit cocky.  I'm taking some of his comments on being damn near arrogant.  I know me better than anyone else. Sorry Mr. Mayfield you don't, certainly not when it comes to specifics you need to work on.  I wish you well, but you're starting to piss me off with an ever increasing shitty attitude. Me against the world.  

MHO? Browns could well have made the playoffs if Baker was willing to admit to himself that he was playing like crap, done the right thing, and let Keenum take over.   

I know the links were older, it doesn't matter. Baker has a serious work ethic. Saying he doesn't work on .etc etc etc, is just

whining, sassy conjecture. That is what really gets old.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I know the links were older, it doesn't matter. Baker has a serious work ethic. Saying he doesn't work on .etc etc etc, is just

whining, sassy conjecture. That is what really gets old.

Posting links that are years old trying to prove a point? Yes, it absolutely DOES matter you blockhead.  

You're clueless, as usual.  

8 hours ago, hoorta said:

Posting links that are years old trying to prove a point? Yes, it absolutely DOES matter you blockhead.  

You're clueless, as usual.  

sorry, but you don't have much room to talk. Like a few other folks have noted - your and Tiam's clique demand to run this place and dominate -

no wonder you get into it with people. You never learn. You and Tiam need to grow up and let others have their own opinions around here. Some folks won't post around here much, but it's true what I'm saying.

That is my point. And I don't need your sassy controlling permission, either.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That would be the natural evolution of things, I would hope.

17 hours ago, Browns149 said:

You can make way better cheese cake at home. And not deal with people you don’t want to be around

But where else can I combine getting strange and cheesecake without having to cook?  You ponder that one, friend.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

sorry, but you don't have much room to talk. Like a few other folks have noted - your and Tiam's clique demand to run this place and dominate -

no wonder you get into it with people. You never learn. You and Tiam need to grow up and let others have their own opinions around here. Some folks won't post around here much, but it's true what I'm saying.

That is my point. And I don't need your sassy controlling permission, either.

Dominate?  Got a martyr complex now to add to your psycho resume? Be thankful we let you post off the wall 4 year old crap (no chance whatsoever things may be totally different now, LOL) and you think it still somehow means the same thing years down the road. 

Trying to make a point about what Joe Thomas said in 2018?  Get outta here with that crap. 

BTW, I have plenty of permission to kick your nutso ass off of here for as long as I would feel like doing- so as I PMed you- don't push your luck    

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

If I remember correctly, my camp threads got thousands of views with a couple hundred responses?   My quick breakdowns in the Baker thread generate a few hundred views alone on this little obscure corner of the internet overnight.   Why? I post shit that's original, my own work and, most importantly - good.  I'm ahead of the curve (a bit) and  It's really that simple

Dominate conversations? You have hundreds... possibly a thousand,  empty threads in the poli board alone.  Yet you still persist in posting them (last I checked) over and over on a near daily basis.   Even though nobody is listening.   From what I understand, there are threads where you receive responses from posters that don't agree with you or ask you to debate them on merit and you delete then repost them.   

You mention how much research you do.  The article linking to a Brandon Schreff comparison is about the best example you're going to find.  You were so obsessed with finding a syndicated opinion to, I guess "prove" your player research was so good, that you ended up failing to realize how bad Schreff was at the position he was initially drafted to and what's what got him kicked inside to guard.

I've had quite a few hits on my player evals. Easily more than my misses over the last 12 years I've been doing reviews.  You won't find a single thread of mine bragging about that saying "The Browns should have taken *insert xxx player**       Meanwhile you won't shut THEE fuck up about Josh Allen.  Even though you were as quiet as church mouse his first 2 years in the league when he just flat out wasn't good...   actually he was one of the worst QB's in the NFL.   Even more funny, not I or anyone else here rubbed that fact in your face those first 2 years.

But year 3 though... ?!?! Whoa boy, you couldn't WAIT to ride that dick and let everyone know.     

I've said this before, you are in need of a psych eval.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I've said this before, you (Cal) are in need of a psych eval.

I really hate to drag dirty laundry out in public... BUT.... FWIW, my family may have a lot of inbred problems... Hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, and a few others... But psychiatric imbalances aren't one of them.  You listening Cal?   Probably not.. in your mind, I'm OK- its just the rest of the world that's fucked up.  As you pointed out Tia, he enjoys talking to himself... 

Even his pals have PMed me privately and said as much.  I'll put on my Moderator Hat for a minute and give you our (collective) POV as Moderators.   Communing with Z...  MHO is Cal is batshit crazy (won't name names)  but one of our Board guys who did psychiatric counselling for years 100% agrees....  

What to do, what to do....   If you're an old timer around here we had guy(s) very similar to Cal.. Ghoolie (who we finally had to permanently ban) and Rich4Eagle (Cal clone) - who decided to never post here again.  Take the hint Cal- 4chan, 8chan, and Parler await your presence....  

Funny... didya ever notice Cal damn near ALWYS tries to get the last word in, even though his spew has been debunked (just not in his rabbit hole mind) over and over, & he just keeps spinning and spinning away?  I'm no psychologist, but I'll term that obsessive-compulsive behavior.   

So fellow board members,  put Cal on ignore, and let him talk to himself like he does on the Poli Board.... and if he says one nasty word to me in response this time, he's gone for an appropriate TBD time... My patience has worn thin with psychos. Whatever would he do if we take his soapbox away?     

• Haha 1