THE BROWNS BOARD

Yet another dire prediction.

Brownshirt

'Cleveland is the clear bottom team in the division.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12147800

AFC North preview: Can better Bengals get in the hunt?

Sep. 2, 2009

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Previews: AFC East | NFC East

It was typical Chad Ochocinco, straight and to the point.

"We will be good," the Cincinnati Bengals receiver said earlier this summer. "It's not a guarantee or anything like that, but we will be good. You watch."

I'm watching. I also think he's right. They have Carson Palmer back and they have a defense that finished 12th in the league last season.

Yeah, but they're the Bengals, you say? This group is better than what we've come to expect from the Bengals.

But there are two big hurdles that could make any improvement a moot point: The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens.

The Bengals will be better in 2009, but they also have the unfortunate task of playing in the same AFC North division with the two teams who played in the AFC Championship Game last season. One of those, the Steelers, went on to win the Super Bowl. If Cincinnati is to be a playoff team, they'll likely have to move past one of those two.

Good luck.

"It's not an easy division, that's for sure," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "If you win this division, you've had a good season."

How can you pick against the Steelers? They return 19 of the 22 starters who started in their Super Bowl victory over the Arizona Cardinals last February.

Quarterback Big Gay Ben is in his prime and should be even better. The defense will be as ferocious as ever. But there are issues. The offensive line might have been the worst Super Bowl-winning line of all time, and four of the five starters are back. They have to play better.

The running game, long a Steelers staple, wasn't the same last season when it finished ranked 22nd. Then there are the Super extras, like a potential hangover and the fact you are the targeted every Sunday.

That gives the other teams in the division hope.

The Ravens, long known for their running game and brutish defense, might be moving more toward a passing offense with second-year quarterback Joe Flacco. He led the Ravens to the playoffs as a rookie starter last season and has made huge strides this preseason.

Flacco has been allowed more freedom in the passing game this summer, and he has responded in a big way. He looked like he was playing in a 7-on-7 drill last week against Carolina, carving the Panthers' secondary to shreds.

What I think will be key for the Ravens is whether they allow that style to continue in the regular season. They should. Flacco can make all the throws and he has a real feel for the offense.

Predicted Order of Finish

1. Steelers 2008 standings: 12-4

Pts Scored: 347

Pts Allowed: 223

Off. Yds/G: 311.9

Def. Yds/G: 237.2

2. Ravens 2008 standings: 11-5

Pts Scored: 385

Pts Allowed: 244

Off. Yds/G: 324.0

Def. Yds/G: 261.1

3. Bengals 2008 standings: 4-11-1

Pts Scored: 204

Pts Allowed: 364

Off. Yds/G: 245.4

Def. Yds/G: 325.5

4. Browns 2008 standings: 4-12

Pts Scored: 232

Pts Allowed: 350

Off. Yds/G: 249.1

Def. Yds/G: 356.5

There is some age on defense that is also a concern, but they should be fine for another year. One thing about the Steelers and Ravens: The front offices for those two teams are as good as any. They know how to replace departed players.

Cleveland is the clear bottom team in the division. New coach Eric Mangini will have a tough task in getting this team to win six games. But you can bet the Browns will be tough and physical.

It's the other team in Ohio that intrigues me. It has all summer long. That's if Palmer can stay on the field. He missed time during the preseason, but he's expected for the regular season opener.

The Bengals will score points. They should also be better on defense. So circle Week 3 on the calendar for a Sunday that will give us a real idea if they are truly going to be different in 2009.

That's the day the Pittsburgh Steelers come to Paul Brown Stadium. If they can win that one, who knows?

It's just too bad the Bengals aren't in the AFC West. Then Ochocinco's proclamation and my belief wouldn't seem so far out there.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Significant additions: DT Ziggy Hood, KR Stefan Logan and WR Shaun McDonald.

Significant losses: ILB Larry Foote, CB Bryant McFadden and WR Nate Washington.

Biggest offseason move: They didn't make any big moves. Did they need to? This is a team that returns 19 of 22 starters from the Super Bowl.

Will reach the playoffs if ... Rapelisberger stays healthy and they don't fall victim to the Super hangover.

Rookie to watch: Logan. He will help upgrade a punt-return unit that was next-to-last in the league last season.

Overview: This is essentially the same team that won the Super Bowl last season. There are only three new starters at corner (William Gay), inside linebacker (Lawrence Timmons) and right guard (Trai Essex). The Steelers will be in the playoffs deep into January. The offensive line didn't play well last season and needs to play better if they are to have a chance to get back to their style. With Rapelisberger capable of making big plays in the passing game, look for even better numbers. Remember, his numbers were down some during the regular season. The defense is what will key this team again. Doesn't it always?

Baltimore Ravens

Significant additions: C Matt Birk, CB Domonique Foxworth, CB Chris Carr, T Michael Oher and OLB Paul Kruger.

Significant losses: C Jason Brown, CB Chris McAlister, S Jim Leonhard and LB Bart Scott.

Biggest offseason move: Seeing Brown leave via free agency to sign with the St. Louis Rams and signing Birk to replace him.

Will reach the playoffs if ... They allow Flacco to be more of a passer. It's time to set him free. They did in the preseason, but it has to carry over.

Rookie to watch: Oher. He's already a starter at right tackle and will provide a physical presence in the run game.

Overview: I really like what I've seen from Flacco this summer. He has developed into a player who really sees the field. He carved up Carolina last Saturday. He doesn't have great weapons outside, but they're good enough. Ray Rice is set for a big year running the football. The defense, even with the loss of coordinator Rex Ryan, will be nasty again. There is too much talent for a real fall down the rankings. This team will be a battle every week no matter who the opponent. If Flacco continues to grow, they could get past Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati Bengals

Significant additions: WR Laveranues Coles, T Andre Smith, LB Rey Maualuga and TE Chase Coffman.

Significant losses: TE Reggie Kelly (injury), T Stacy Andrews and WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Biggest offseason move: Getting Palmer healthy. They are a different team with him in there.

Will reach the playoffs if ... If the offensive line can come together and keep Palmer on the field.

Rookie to watch: Coffman. With Kelly and Ben Utecht out for the season, Coffman has to be a factor in the passing game. He isn't a good blocker, however.

Overview: When you get back a quarterback of the caliber of Palmer, there's only one way to go. And that's up. How far depends on the line. If they can come together, this team will score a lot of points. What many don't realize is how good this defense can be. It was 12th last year and has one of the best young corner tandems in Johnathan Joseph and Leon Hall. This is a unit that could be a lot better under underrated coordinator Mike Zimmer. If Baltimore or the Steelers struggle some, Cincinnati could slip into the playoff mix.

Cleveland Browns

Significant additions: S Abram Elam, G Floyd Womack, T John St. Clair, C Alex Mack, DE Kenyon Coleman, WR Brian Robiskie and WR Mohamed Massaquoi.

Significant losses: LB Andra Davis, S Sean Jones and TE Kellen Winslow.

Biggest offseason move: Firing Romeo Crennel and bringing in Mangini to take over. He brings a rigid style that can alienate players.

Will reach the playoffs if ... Palmer, Rapelisberger and Flacco all go down. Even then, it would be in doubt. But the Browns will be feisty.

Rookie to watch: Mack. He's already penciled in as the starter at center and will play a major role in how well the Browns can run it.

Overview: Mangini will do things his way. The question is whether that's a good thing. Some wonder why the Browns hired him, and that is a legitimate question after the Jets fired him. The quarterback situation is still in flux, although I think Brady Quinn will be the starter. He should be, anyway. The Browns will play a physical brand of football, which is the Mangini way, but do they have enough talent? I don't think so. They are the cellar team in this tough division and must wait a year before they can even think playoffs

Nope.

And to add to the pile of negative press, Peter King over at SI.com just predicted a 2-14 season. Nice. I wonder what these "experts" will write come December when we've already won 6 games and Mangini still won't give them any nuggets. Maybe they'll be forced to actually watch the games???

You know, I'm getting a little tired of these prognostications. Predictions used to be worthwhile fodder for discussion... Ooooh, how does so-and-so think my team will do this year? They've been rendered irrelevant.

Here's a little experiment... go find 10 national prognostications for the number of wins the Browns will have this year. Average them. Then compare it to last year's record. And get the "in the know" guys - Peter King, Mike Florio (how the F did he get on this list?), ESPN, Sports Illustrated, USA Today, Adam Schefter, whatever.

Then do it for another team.

Then do it with 20 prognostications.

Then do it with another team.

You will find, that the more predictors you have, the closer you will get to their record from the year before.

Then try this experiment again with last year's predictions. They're still out there. Compare them to the 2007 records, and voila! You will see that when you get 20 people to make a prediction about a team going into the new season, that the average prediction is within 1 win of last year's record... In essence, if you ask 20 so-called experts how many wins an NFL team will have, they will give you last year's record, almost exactly.

Now I ask you, if you asked someone how you think all 32 teams will finish this year, and he simply spouted off last year's results... how long would it be before you realized he was full of sh*t and walk away?

Walk away, friend. Walk away.

-jj

The browns are going to get better as the season rolls on even if we go 0-8 the first half we would still win at least 3 in the second half of he season im quite comfortable thinking we will go 7-9 or 8-8 however if DA starts my expectations drop to 6-10 or 5-11...of coarse with mr hot and cold it could just as easily be 10-6 or 11-5...with 33 int and 36 TDs..;)

2-14? Really?

I know we're not the greatest team in the NFL, but last year we had injuries galore especially at Quarterback, and the one of the toughest schedules in the NFL, and still managed 4 wins.

Theres just no logic in saying 2-14.

i've been picking the browns to be the 3rd team in the division.

8-8 this year and making strides to become the major contender for the Steelers for years to come. i am a Steeler fan and have been waiting for this team to start making the right strides for them to become a power in the NFL again.

glad to see it's happening. for all the smack i may talk and the shots i take at you guys and your team (it is a rivalry after all).....................deep in the back of my brain i secretly root for your team to be contenders and respect both the browns fans and the team history more than any other team in the NFL besides my own.

good luck browns fans. you're gonna suprise this year.

Hell with this crap, they said a "key loss" for the Browns was Andre Davis. WTF is that, he's been bad for two years.

Browns will be much improved, F the national media.

Hell with this crap, they said a "key loss" for the Browns was Andre Davis. WTF is that, he's been bad for two years.

Browns will be much improved, F the national media.

I pretty much think F the local media too.

Listened to Rizzo this AM. Had a round table and the final results are Reghi & Brenda say 7-9, Roda, Rizzo & Bishop 6-10. All feel improved team, no play makers beyond BE & Rogers.

http://www.espncleveland.com/audiovault/rizzo.php Replay link not up yet. We've got to be 2 wins better than last year.

All great coaches don't let fans, media, and players know the status of the team. Right!

This is just stupid. Everyone knows who the starting QB of a good team is.

A good coach says this is who we are, this is what we do, try to stop us. If you're trying to "hide" things, you're not going in the right direction.

Guest Masters
All great coaches don't let fans, media, and players know the status of the team. Right!

This is just stupid. Everyone knows who the starting QB of a good team is.

A good coach says this is who we are, this is what we do, try to stop us. If you're trying to "hide" things, you're not going in the right direction.

I submit to you Bill Belichick having Tom Brady listed on his injury report every week in 2007.

The media just loves to pile it on Mangini cause he won't give them any dirt on whats going on....

Plus, because Brett Favre's arm imploded and they Jets hit a skid, all the national media turned on him after proclaiming him a genius.

Hell, Favre may kill the Vikings this year. He may in fact be a "coach killer" at this point in his career. We shall see.

I pretty much think F the local media too.

Listened to Rizzo this AM. Had a round table and the final results are Reghi & Brenda say 7-9, Roda, Rizzo & Bishop 6-10. All feel improved team, no play makers beyond BE & Rogers.

http://www.espncleveland.com/audiovault/rizzo.php Replay link not up yet. We've got to be 2 wins better than last year.

And Cribbs, don't forget him. But I think those guys are right. Other than maybe those 3 there are no proven play makers... Though, Mike Furrey, a guy who has had a 98 catch season, is not considered a play maker because he is a possession guy. But it wouldn't surprise me to see this guy average 3 catches per game on 3rd down for a 1st down. To me, that would constitute a possible playmaker, even if he isn't flashy.

You're all right about Billichick. For one year.

However, you always new who Lombardi's, Landry's, Noll's, Walsh's Parcell's, Shanahan's, Gibbs, Cowher's quarterback was.

Finding one or two execptions to the rule, is not making a point.

Would you fake punt everytime because it worked once. (If the current Browns coach was doing it, on this Board, it's the right thing to do)

You're all right about Billichick. For one year.

However, you always new who Lombardi's, Landry's, Noll's, Walsh's Parcell's, Shanahan's, Gibbs, Cowher's quarterback was.

Finding one or two execptions to the rule, is not making a point.

Would you fake punt everytime because it worked once. (If the current Browns coach was doing it, on this Board, it's the right thing to do)

Not necessarily with the guys you mention. Landry's Cowboys had a big QB battle with Craig Morton and Roger Staubach. Noll had a three way battle with Joe Gilliam, Terry Hanratty, and Terry Bradshaw. Parcell had his share of QB controversy, expecially after Hostetler won a Super Bowl with Phil Simms injured. Gibb's was always going through QBs. He had Theisman and Rypien and Williams and Jay?? forget his name. Cowher had his time with choosing Kordell Stewart or Neil O'Donnell..

Nope.

And to add to the pile of negative press, Peter King over at SI.com just predicted a 2-14 season. Nice. I wonder what these "experts" will write come December when we've already won 6 games and Mangini still won't give them any nuggets. Maybe they'll be forced to actually watch the games???

Always better to Fly Under the Radar... little pressure exists. The Browns have a shot to Make people say "Pull my Foot from my Lips" or " Told ya so " which will it be. I think Feisty yes , and you will have to see which way the ball bounces.

Archived