THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield conspiracy

Westside Steve

So now all of a sudden we find out the front office wanted to shed Mayfield all season long. After all he wasn't Andrew Berry's pic anyway. Many people complain that Baker should have sat when he got hurt and let the mighty Case Keenum lead us to the promised land. Many thought that it was Baker's decision to make as to who started which is not the case. Players don't decide who starts at their position. Let's say it's true Mayfield was actually physically unable to play but stefanski started him anyway. Let's say for the sake of argument we might have won another game or two with Keenum. Why would Stefanski the medical team and the front office start Baker every game knowing they had less of a chance to be victorious? Here's the conspiracy. They did so to make him look bad so the fans wouldn't freak out when they dumped him. If he'd gotten surgery halfway through the season and then got dumped it would really seem like he never got a chance.

WSS

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

So now all of a sudden we find out the front office wanted to shed Mayfield all season long. After all he wasn't Andrew Berry's pic anyway. Many people complain that Baker should have sat when he got hurt and let the mighty Case Keenum lead us to the promised land. Many thought that it was Baker's decision to make as to who started which is not the case. Players don't decide who starts at their position. Let's say it's true Mayfield was actually physically unable to play but stefanski started him anyway. Let's say for the sake of argument we might have won another game or two with Keenum. Why would Stefanski the medical team and the front office start Baker every game knowing they had less of a chance to be victorious? Here's the conspiracy. They did so to make him look bad so the fans wouldn't freak out when they dumped him. If he'd gotten surgery halfway through the season and then got dumped it would really seem like he never got a chance.

WSS

Meh. I'd be more inclined to believe this if I thought for one second they really cared what the fans think.  

If they knew all along they didn't want him, they would have jumped at the chance to put him on IR the rest of the year early, ride the high that was the 2020/2021 season and sell high. 

As it is now, they just shit the bed. They are screwed six ways past Sunday and are going to have to pay out the nose for a replacement, or eat a big plate of Crow and ride out the next season with Mayfield, trade him mid season or let him walk and get nothing for him.  

There is no way Berry wanted this situation. He is lose/lose for value. 

Meh. First of all I'm not sold on the "not their pick" chatter.

Berry and Depo were in the room when they picked him and were very much on board.

No NFL team ever is going to play an injured guy so that he looks bad and it's easier to appease the fans when you dump him.

They just don't think he is Championship caliber. If you are going to play injured, you need to perform... He simply did not play well, and they want to upgrade to a better caliber qb while they have this championship caliber roster.

Z

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

As someone on the outside looking in I truly believe this is at least partially the case. Keenum is not a bad back up. He’s actually pretty damn solid. I for the life of me last season couldn’t figure out why they were risking baker with that injury and now all this with watson. However and I mean this as a diehard steeler fan the browns still managed to royally fuck it up and it’s unfortunate. If you are going to go after watson you better be damn sure you can get him. Now they can’t and they are left in the lurch. The impact with future free agents and guys like Landry, Beckham and yea even Duke Johnson running their mouth doesn’t bode well. I have no idea how jimmy haslam managed to fuck it up so bad but they definitely did. People downplaying this aren’t looking at the impact from a rational perspective. Mayfield whether he’s the guy or not got done dirty now he wants out. The browns aren’t high enough without a trade up for a qb this year, next is at least more stout. It looks like a damn mess from where I am.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Berry and Depo were in the room when they picked him and were very much on board.

No NFL team ever is going to play an injured guy so that he looks bad and it's easier to appease the fans when you dump him.

They just don't think he is Championship caliber. If you are going to play injured, you need to perform... He simply did not play well, and they want to upgrade to a better caliber qb while they have this championship caliber roster.

Z

But there's got to be some reason did they send him out week after week after week knowing full well he was hurt.

And maybe a week ago I would not have suspected subterfuge no knowing what a bunch of weasels the front office is I'm not so sure.

Players don't pick when they start and when they don't. 

WSS

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

Baker was pretty fucked up last season. There was no reason to trot him out there with keenum in the wings. He’s not a hall of famer, he’s not at the end of his career. You park his ass. 

• Upvote 2

Just announced he wants traded.  Does anyone blame him??  He busted his azz for us and the FO hangs him out to dry by pursuing for a rapist.  

Good luck to ya Baker!!  Go win someplace else!!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

Just announced he wants traded.  Does anyone blame him??  He busted his azz for us and the FO hangs him out to dry by pursuing for a rapist.  

Anyone with half a brain saw that coming. 

Browns get what they deserve. Hope they have to trot out the next 15 backups for pulling this crap.

Should have lined up a trade last week before it even came out that they were going to see Watson. 

I hope it comes out that Haslem was behind the whole thing and Berry packs his bags. 

Screw these clowns. Amari Cooper looking for his next team already. 

3 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Anyone with half a brain saw that coming. 

Browns get what they deserve. Hope they have to trot out the next 15 backups for pulling this crap.

Should have lined up a trade last week before it even came out that they were going to see Watson. 

I hope it comes out that Haslem was behind the whole thing and Berry packs his bags. 

Screw these clowns. Amari Cooper looking for his next team already. 

The Browns should have let Mayfield play out his contract and then make a decision at the end of the year. We simply did not have the draft capital to get one of these QBs. And it would have been good to know that Watson wants to stay in the south to save us the trouble of even making an offer. This was poorly handled.

22 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

The Browns should have let Mayfield play out his contract and then make a decision at the end of the year. We simply did not have the draft capital to get one of these QBs. And it would have been good to know that Watson wants to stay in the south to save us the trouble of even making an offer. This was poorly handled.

That's why I think this was all Jimmah. No way Berry didn't see this coming. 

Baker has all the leverage here. All he has to tell any team that the Browns want to trade him to is that he won't sign any extensions. Or not play. Or play and walk at the end of the year... And the Browns get nothing

Some of us had serious questions quite a while ago when the Browns, even after the Browns went to the playoffs in 2020, didn't make a contract extension offer to Baker. 

I'm starting to think that if Mayfield didn't have that second half hot stretch in '20 the QB search would have started last offseason. 

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero:

"Jimmy Haslam offered to fly to Mayfield's hometown of Austin, TX to try to mend fences, but Mayfield declined the offer."

You can't make this shit up. Hope you all enjoyed that playoff victory over the Steeler's last year because I have a sick feeling we won't be sniffing the playoffs for a long time.

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

It’s okay folks…We can replace a QB like  Baker. 

AEF08045-C998-48BE-A103-83E41A43C27B.jpeg

For a stopgap, I'd take Garoppolo or Winston. 

Hell, Winston went 5-2 for the Saints last year, with 14 touchdowns against 3 interceptions. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hell, Winston went 5-2 for the Saints last year, with 14 touchdowns against 3 interceptions. 

I believe Jimmy G just underwent shoulder surgery, and won’t be able to throw until July.

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Jimmy is following the Build Back Better model!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Oh that's right....

I'd take Matt Ryan if Watson goes to Atlanta. 

I'd prefer we started with the adult of Matt Ryan 😁 

topic--- do ya know why James Hudson never got help with TJ Watt? 😇

to think I have have followed this franchise since 1970... And this is the thanks the great fans of Cleveland get,,,,..

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker may not have been the best..but Haslem did em dirty.

47 minutes ago, laiccm said:

Mayfield demanding a trade but can't even pass a physical......ugh

Actually he doesn’t have to pass a physical, I just read on Cleveland.com that his 2022 contract is guaranteed.

Which means, he can sit his ass and collect his $18 million.

Hell he has more leverage than I thought.

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Actually he doesn’t have to pass a physical, I just read on Cleveland.com that his 2022 contract is guaranteed.

Which means, he can sit his ass and collect his $18 million.

Hell he has more leverage than I thought.

Let him pout 

28 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Stefanski hated Bakers guts? 😁

he does call the plays.. and will continue

here's your prize 

beautiful-woman-dress-glass-green-beer-patrick-s-day-beautiful-woman-dress-glass-green-beer-171459112.thumb.jpg.22a00814dc815b9f5bfd7f69d1497146.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1