THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker v. Brisset

laiccm

10 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Colt McCoy has a record of 23 - 29

Baker Mayfield has a record of 30 - 30

Deshaun Watson has a record of 28 - 26

I would say all 3 are pedestrian numbers.

Everyone here has watched almost every game.....DW excused. on the watched part.

Was it Bill Parcells that said your record says who you are,  or something like that  ?

What do you think ?  Personally I believe Mayfield was better than McCoy no doubt   -but-  neither turned out to be that franchise quarterback that the BROWNS were looking for. 

Now the BROWNS have bet the ranch on DW to have his shot at it.  Good luck and I read our BROWNS are the AFCN favorites right now  

GO BROWNS,  just win baby v3.0 or is it v4.0  I've lost count. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Everyone here has watched almost every game.....DW excused. on the watched part.

Was it Bill Parcells that said your record says who you are,  or something like that  ?

What do you think ?  Personally I believe Mayfield was better than McCoy no doubt   -but-  neither turned out to be that franchise quarterback that the BROWNS were looking for. 

Now the BROWNS have bet the ranch on DW to have his shot at it.  Good luck and I read our BROWNS are the AFCN favorites right now  

GO BROWNS,  just win baby v3.0 or is it v4.0  I've lost count. 

For a QB in the league that’s going to earn more money than Rogers and Mahomes, there had better be zero excuses.

Anything less than a Super Bowl victory will be a major disappointment, and if he fails to deliver DW along with AB needs ran out of town.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

For a QB in the league that’s going to earn more money than Rogers and Mahomes, there had better be zero excuses.

Anything less than a Super Bowl victory will be a major disappointment, and if he fails to deliver DW along with AB needs ran out of town.

By the time 3 years  have gone by Watsons contract will be mid road....as in run out of town for no SB?...that's comedy. We never got there with better teams....what happens if the Browns go to AFC championship games  like Bernie, Mack, Byner, Slaughter, Brennan....etc yet not win? They ain't going nowhere no time soon unless there's a complete implosion...the AFC is the most ridiculous right now and Ive been watching since the 70s.....

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, laiccm said:

By the time 3 years  have gone by Watsons contract will be mid road....as in run out of town for no SB?...that's comedy. We never got there with better teams....what happens if the Browns go to AFC championship games  like Bernie, Mack, Byner, Slaughter, Brennan....etc yet not win? They ain't going nowhere no time soon unless there's a complete implosion...the AFC is the most ridiculous right now and Ive been watching since the 70s.....

No the Browns gave up WAY too much for him.. He better light it up week in and week out.. NO EXCUSES!.. NONE!.. Because Berry and Haslam are basically telling us that they think He's the shit and Baker was just an after thought for them... I'm holding Watson to the highest critical standards all the village idiots held Mayfield too... I will scrutinize every little fuck up Watson makes... He deserves nothing less for what we gave up for him.. PERIOD!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nickers said:

No the Browns gave up WAY too much for him.. He better light it up week in and week out.. NO EXCUSES!.. NONE!.. Because Berry and Haslam are basically telling us that they think He's the shit and Baker was just an after thought for them... I'm holding Watson to the highest critical standards all the village idiots held Mayfield too... I will scrutinize every little fuck up Watson makes... He deserves nothing less for what we gave up for him.. PERIOD!

That's your opinion if they gave up too much. The entire league thinks Baker is a after thought.....lol. You can be as critical as you want....that's your right as a fan. As long as Watson don't lead the league in interceptions  its cool. Other than that...meaningless. If they go to the playoffs every year for example....the FO go nowhere....PERIOD!

1 hour ago, laiccm said:

Of course some of the naysayers are going to pile on every mistake and bad game Watson has.. and they're coming, certainly.  

40 minutes ago, nickers said:

If Baker really is Da Bomb Nickers... They WHY aren't QB needy teams ringing Berry's phone of the hook with first round offers?  The reason actually is- teams view Baker as a mid level starter, at best.  That the Saints went out and got Andy Dalton instead of Mayfield should tell you something. New Orleans opinion is Andy "I need everything perfect around me too" Dalton is a better option than Baker. 

As far as "Watson's contract is crazy"...  Twas 2018 when everyone thought Cousins $80 million guaranteed was stupid crazy too.  Guaranteed  money has almost tripled in five years. (on a per year basis, Rodgers is getting more.. Bye Devante, we cant afford you with what we're paying Aaron)  I posted it elsewhere guy... Ivy League Berry isn't stupid... NFL revenue is going to go up- WAY up- over the next few years. As a subscriber, I've been following this closely.. Directv isn't going to be able to afford Sunday ticket when their contract is up with the NFL after 2022 season. Disney and Amazon already have offers on the table for DOUBLE what Direct* is paying.  Then there's the network contracts too.  I don't know when the NFL's Gravy Train is going to derail, but IMHO, it's not going to do it any time soon.  A $300 million cap number in three years isn't out of the question.  :)  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Of course some of the naysayers are going to pile on every mistake and bad game Watson has.. and they're coming, certainly.  

If Baker really is Da Bomb Nickers... They WHY aren't QB needy teams ringing Berry's phone of the hook with first round offers?  The reason actually is- teams view Baker as a mid level starter, at best.  That the Saints went out and got Andy Dalton instead of Mayfield should tell you something. New Orleans opinion is Andy "I need everything perfect around me too" Dalton is a better option than Baker. 

As far as "Watson's contract is crazy"...  Twas 2018 when everyone thought Cousins $80 million guaranteed was stupid crazy too.  Guaranteed  money has almost tripled in five years. (on a per year basis, Rodgers is getting more.. Bye Devante, we cant afford you with what we're paying Aaron)  I posted it elsewhere guy... Ivy League Berry isn't stupid... NFL revenue is going to go up- WAY up- over the next few years. As a subscriber, I've been following this closely.. Directv isn't going to be able to afford Sunday ticket when their contract is up with the NFL after 2022 season. Disney and Amazon already have offers on the table for DOUBLE what Direct* is paying.  Then there's the network contracts too.  I don't know when the NFL's Gravy Train is going to derail, but IMHO, it's not going to do it any time soon.  A $300 million cap number in three years isn't out of the question.  :)  

PERIOD

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I never claimed Baker was Da Bomb!... I still think he's a very good QB when healthy... He has 28 td's in a short season his rookie year which was sensational... After the Freddie debacle he guided the Browns to 11-5 and a playoff victory... People can underscore that all they like. But that's nothing to sneeze at...  He was good enough to win...

4 hours ago, laiccm said:

What’s comedy is the fucking boatload of guaranteed money for this guy.

If he’s pulling in the highest salary, the results need to match…that’s the way shit goes in the real world.

He might be better than Rogers and Mahomes in your mind, but not the mind of the rational football fan.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

They WHY aren't QB needy teams ringing Berry's phone of the hook with first round offers?

I’m going to give you a clue Larry, since you haven’t been paying attention.

The reason teams aren’t ringing Berry’s phone is simple….THEY DON’T HAVE TO!

The Browns FO fucked up by playing both sides of the road, and now the other teams are waiting for the Browns to make a deal.

They all know Berry & Company gave Baker a guaranteed $18.8 million dollar contract, and they know the Browns are backed into a corner.

Once the Browns either buys out Bakers contract and/or gives up a draft pick Mayfield will be gone.

22 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

What’s comedy is the fucking boatload of guaranteed money for this guy.

If he’s pulling in the highest salary, the results need to match…that’s the way shit goes in the real world.

He might be better than Rogers and Mahomes in your mind, but not the mind of the rational football fan.

That's called reality....People cried about Cousins' contract too. Now its nothing....so will be Watson's in a few years

Highest salaries=Best results is a joke....That's a fantasy, reality is there''s a many of people who don't work hard, few results and get paid great

Didn't say he was better than Rodgers or Mahomes....did I?

17 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The Browns FO fucked up by playing both sides of the road, and now the other teams are waiting for the Browns to make a deal.

They all know Berry & Company gave Baker a guaranteed $18.8 million dollar contract, and they know the Browns are backed into a corner.

Once the Browns either buys out Bakers contract and/or gives up a draft pick Mayfield will be gone.

If Baker was elite like you think......no one would wait. They would want to beat the other team to Baker......but there's not a team in the league who is "Can't wait for Baker"......

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, laiccm said:

That's called reality....People cried about Cousins' contract too. Now its nothing....so will be Watson's in a few years

If he doesn’t take the Browns to the SB…he won’t be around in a few years.

Highest salaries=Best results is a joke....That's a fantasy, reality is there''s a many of people who don't work hard, few results and get paid great

So you’re saying the highest paid QB in the league sucks? Now who’s the joke…I’ll answer that for you The Browns.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, laiccm said:

If Baker was elite like you think......no one would wait. They would want to beat the other team to Baker......but there's not a team in the league who is "Can't wait for Baker"......

Who said Baker is elite? Not me, I think he’s average at best and the Sexual Predator that your wet for really isn’t that much of an improvement.

What I stated to Larry is the general consensus from several NFL executives from around the league.

So should I listen to DW’s number 1 fan, or listen to what actual NFL executives are saying…hmm. 🤔

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Don't HAVE to, OR DON'T WANT TO?  In the world of today's NFL Baker's $18 million on a one year deal for a starting QB is  bargain basement. I may be wrong on the financials, but if I'm correct 14 NFL starting QBs are scheduled to make more than Mayfield in 2022.  There's several more who will be making more like Burrow, Murray, and Herbert once they come off their rookie deals. 

31 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Who said Baker is elite? Not me, I think he’s average at best and the Sexual Predator that your wet for really isn’t that much of an improvement.

What I stated to Larry is the general consensus from several NFL executives from around the league.

So should I listen to DW’s number 1 fan, or listen to what actual NFL executives are saying…hmm. 🤔

So you've been able to talk to several GMs? I'm impressed.   It's not rocket science that there's a high probability the Browns are going to need to dump Baker... Eventually.  

Stick your foot in your mouth much there?   You just answered your own question. There's no market for Baker because other NFL teams have come to the realization he's pretty mediocre.  Like sub Andy Dalton or Sam Darnold mediocre. So adios Baker, lotsa luck and prove Berry wrong.  

As to Watson not being much of an improvement over Baker, bullshit- I'm not going to bother reposting his numbers from pro football reference again. People here get all dreamy over Mayfield's magic 2020 season. Deshawn put up numbers the same year on a crappy Texans team that make Baker's look pretty pedestrian. And he's done it every year after his rookie season. Toss out the morality baggage, and a QB with Watson's pedigree would have commanded far more on the open market. Like an entire draft +.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, hoorta said:

So you've been able to talk to several GMs? I'm impressed. 
Its called the NFL Network and sports radio, you should try it sometimes.

It's not rocket science that there's a high probability the Browns are going to need to dump Baker... Eventually.  
WOW you are genius! You’re going out on a limb with that prediction.

There's no market for Baker because other NFL teams have come to the realization he's pretty mediocre.

Would you care to make a wager on that?

As to Watson not being much of an improvement over Baker, bullshit- I'm not going to bother reposting his numbers from pro football reference again.

Do those numbers include his record vs the AFC North?

Or the fact that he was the most sacked QB the last 2 seasons he’s played?

Since your reading comprehension is slipping I’ll put it to you the way an NFC executive put it.

The Browns trying to unload Mayfield is like a roadside fruit stand, if you don’t like the prices wait awhile, they will come down.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

Wasn't Berry and Co that gave him the contract... It was Buddy Boy Dorsey & Co...

3 hours ago, nickers said:

I never claimed Baker was Da Bomb!... I still think he's a very good QB when healthy... He has 28 td's in a short season his rookie year which was sensational... After the Freddie debacle he guided the Browns to 11-5 and a playoff victory... People can underscore that all they like. But that's nothing to sneeze at...  He was good enough to win...

As I told Canton.. Baker had ONE magic year.. (so did Derek Anderson)  Browns fans were so used to crap quarterbacking by the likes of Brandon Weeden and Deshone Kizer, people were about ready to elect Mayfield Mayor of Cleveland after he won a playoff game. 

OK 2020.. Mayfield team record 11-5,  63% completions.  3563 yards, 26\8 td\int, 95.9 qbr. 

2020   Watson team record 4-12,  72% completions. 4823 yards, 33\7 td\int, 112 qbr.

That said, I thought the Browns were going to let a healthy Baker play out his rookie deal. However, Berry & company had seen enough. (Sort of like the Rams did with Jarred Goff?) They saw the same thing Tia was seeing with those screen shots. Baker has obvious flaws that the Brown's Brass weren't going to waste another season on whether they could be fixed or not. I do agree it was pretty crappy of the Browns to tell Mayfield, yeah- you're our starting QB in 2022- until you're not :)  

FWIW, I don't like all the baggage Deshaun brings with him, and I don't doubt he's going to get suspended for at least four games too.    

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Since your reading comprehension is slipping I’ll put it to you the way an NFC executive put it.

The Browns trying to unload Mayfield is like a roadside fruit stand, if you don’t like the prices wait awhile, they will come down.

And if your starting QB happens to get run over like a squashed tomato, well, the fruit stand is going to look pretty attractive all of a sudden.  The Browns don't HAVE to unload Baker... They have the cap room and can tell him to sit home until those tomatoes start getting squashed in OTA's, training camp, or the regular season for that matter.   That's Berry's POV Canton. 

If the opinion around the league is Baker has sunk below starting QB material, and our backup is better than Mayfield, yeah the Browns are pretty much screwed.  

23 minutes ago, nickers said:

Wasn't Berry and Co that gave him the contract... It was Buddy Boy Dorsey & Co...

In Dorsey's defense, wasn't much of a shock around the league when John Boy made Baker the #1 overall. Look at it this way, it could have been Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen instead.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Now if the opinion around the league is Baker has sunk below starting QB material, and our backup is better than Mayfield, yeah the Browns are pretty much screwed.  
The rumor last week is there are 2 teams waiting for the Browns to pay Baker, and then cut him. One of the rumored teams is Shittsburgh.

23 minutes ago, hoorta said:

As I told Canton.. Baker had ONE magic year.. (so did Derek Anderson)  Browns fans were so used to crap quarterbacking by the likes of Brandon Weeden and Deshone Kizer, people were about ready to elect Mayfield Mayor of Cleveland after he won a playoff game. 

OK 2020.. Mayfield team record 11-5,  63% completions.  3563 yards, 26\8 td\int, 95.9 qbr. 

2020   Watson team record 4-12,  72% completions. 4823 yards, 33\7 td\int, 112 qbr.

That said, I thought the Browns were going to let a healthy Baker play out his rookie deal. However, Berry & company had seen enough. (Sort of like the Rams did with Jarred Goff?) They saw the same thing Tia was seeing with those screen shots. Baker has obvious flaws that the Brown's Brass weren't going to waste another season on whether they could be fixed or not. I do agree it was pretty crappy of the Browns to tell Mayfield, yeah- you're our starting QB in 2022- until you're not :)  

FWIW, I don't like all the baggage Deshaun brings with him, and I don't doubt he's going to get suspended for at least four games too.    

2 magic years.. 18 and 20.. Get it right dude...

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Well, yes and no.

Dorsey was the GM when the Browns drafted The Cheesecake Factory Kid, but Berry was the GM who picked up the option they are now on the hook for. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

baloney.

slutbaggage, your qb fave, had two FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS AT WIDE RECEIVER with the Texans.

Brandin Cooks and Will Fuller. he also had the same head coach since 2014.

Baker did not have even one in 2021. In 2020, he had poutypuss unhappy "injured" obj. and still took the Browns to the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

this I did not know...

Although Berry had told Mayfield’s agent (at combine) he might pursue a top-tier quarterback, Berry acknowledged he could’ve handled the situation better by informing Mayfield of the meeting with Watson before the news leaked. (Baker sends goodbye letter)

“I had set up a call for Baker’s representation the following morning,” Berry said. “The news got out before I was able to make that call. 

“That’s never how you want someone to find out about that situation. That’s the one thing I wish I had done a little bit differently. But on the whole, we had been pretty candid in terms of where we stood at the quarterback position really since very early in the offseason.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/03/30/gm-andrew-berry-says-team-in-no-rush-to-trade-baker-mayfield/

6 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Now if the opinion around the league is Baker has sunk below starting QB material, and our backup is better than Mayfield, yeah the Browns are pretty much screwed.  
The rumor last week is there are 2 teams waiting for the Browns to pay Baker, and then cut him. One of the rumored teams is Shittsburgh.

Rumors, schmours.. Welcome to silly season crap.  I take anything I hear from the talking heads with a huge grain of salt. And you're not listening either Canton.  Berry did some fancy footwork to clear cap space for 2022, and the Browns are currently #5 in the NFL with the most. If the Squealers are waiting for the Browns to pay off Baker so they can scoop up and get him.. They're waiting for Godot, and could well be waiting months. 

Yeah, Ivy League educated Berry is going to be so stupid to let Baker go to the Steelers? Get out of here with that crap. He can easily let Mayfield sit and stew collecting a paycheck until next year...     

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

baloney.

slutbaggage, your qb fave, had two FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS AT WIDE RECEIVER with the Texans.

Brandin Cooks and Will Fuller. he also had the same head coach since 2014.

Baker did not have even one in 2021. In 2020, he had poutypuss unhappy "injured" obj. and still took the Browns to the playoffs.

Still beating your gotta have a Bengal level WR stable drum eh Cal?  Mayfield had one of the best lines in the NFL, Watson was in the top ten in sacks three seasons playing behind a sieve. No wonder he wanted out of Houston . He had more sense than Tim Couch or David Carr getting beaten to a pulp.  BTW, Tom Brady and Julian Edelman say your full of it.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well, yes and no.

Dorsey was the GM when the Browns drafted The Cheesecake Factory Kid, but Berry was the GM who picked up the option they are now on the hook for. 

that's true, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse here nickers. The $18 million we're currently on the hook for with Baker is bordering on chump change in the current NFL QB market. It's the opinion of Mayfield's talent level around the league. Gosh... let's back the truck up a bit... Indy was able to unload Carson Wentz, and get draft picks in return.. Baker isn't even on Andy Dalton's level in the eyes of New Orleans,  they had plenty of cap room to pay Baker his $12 million more this year.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

And you're not listening either Canton.

You’re hilarious.

Yeah, Ivy League educated Berry is going to be so stupid to let Baker go to the Steelers?

If they cut Baker, he can go anywhere he wants.

Get out of here with that crap. He can easily let Mayfield sit and stew collecting a paycheck until next year...

True, but unlikely. If they choose to go that route Baker walks and the Browns get nothing.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

that's true, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse here nickers. The $18 million we're currently on the hook for with Baker is bordering on chump change in the current NFL QB market. It's the opinion of Mayfield's talent level around the league. Gosh... let's back the truck up a bit... Indy was able to unload Carson Wentz, and get draft picks in return.. Baker isn't even on Andy Dalton's level in the eyes of New Orleans,  they had plenty of cap room to pay Baker his $12 million more this year.  

The list of quarterbacks under contract who have been able to somehow get traded, because someone else is actually interested in them, is a pretty impressive one. 

• Like 1