THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Answer Coming Soon

ClevelandFanForLife

No way in Hell BQ gets traded because if that happens and DA still proves maddingly inconsistent and BQ has a great year the fans will be calling for Mangini's head. The boos, insults and hatred for him will rise to almost Modell levels. He may be the mystery man about everything but he isn't that stupid.

and what if they trade your boyfriend and he sucks and DA does great?There's two sides to every coin.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and what if they trade your boyfriend and he sucks and DA does great?There's two sides to every coin.

One problem...DA just posted his best ever completion % of his career (over this preseason)....57.7%!!! That's right, his BEST EVER!!! And it still isn't even 60%...which is kind of the Mendoza line for QBing.

So, the chances of him being GREAT aren't all that high. Just sayin....

If there's one thing we've learned as Browns fans, it's don't be surprised by anything that happens.

Trains of thought....

You could keep both guys and know you have a decent backup should your starter get whacked.

Trade one now because it's your last chance to get any value out of whoever you're not starting.

Who cares what either one does because it's a free year for Mangini and neither one will be his starter next year.

I believe Mangini had his starter all along and my guess is it's Quinn. He's playing cat and mouse with the league. Whether or not something happens will be determined by what someone will cough up for either guy. With that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised to see them both here week one with DA on the bench. Roll the dice and see if someone loses a starter early. Trade value may increase then.

Either way, I think we'll have a qb controversy next year too. Difference is it will be either DA or BQ vs. someone else, not DA vs. BQ

First, I'm not a Quinn lover but I see him as the lesser of 2 evils at this point and more consistent than DA, I would like to see what he could do over the course of a few games at least.

Second, maybe we can trade you for a real fan to be named later.

Both QB's were there.

large_quarterbacksmsg.jpg

I know that DA has an arm, but how can BQ not with guns like those. One arm is twice the size of DA's. Sure I know that technique, form, etc., all play a part in throwing the long ball, but BQ shouldn't have a problem...

And for the record, let the best man win. Best man for the Job is what I want, and deep down I think that is what we all want. I winning team regardless of who's behind center.

da to the pats makes some sense,,tom brady has been injury prone lately ,,and da has a lot more game experience than what they have,,they the pats are knocking on the superbowl door with the team they currently have,, its no time for a complete no-name for back-up qb ,,espn did rate da at no.7 ...

I wish Mangini would go ahead and end the drama. It's going to be a short leash anyhow as long as both QB's are on the roster. The only reason to keep both DA and BQ would be for injury sake. As far as everybody and all the experts thinking it's BQ, let me ask you guys this...How many experts thought Brady Quinn would go in the top 5 of the draft? Just about everybody. I wouldnt put too much stock in rumors.

I like BQ better than DA simply because I haven't seen him play. I I think BQ is a team player and a hard worker and wants to win. But I don't know if he is truly any better than DA. I would like to know before we trade him. I think that is why we keep Brady.

DA on the other hand makes some bonehead plays, is a natural Gunslinger, and can put up points in a flash. He is also a young guy with the potential to be a quality starter in the league. Our play calling and Wide receiver play didn't exactly help him last year. I can see our defense giving up a bunch of points this year. We are going to need to score a lot of points to keep up. It almost seems like DA gives us the best chance this year.

With the cost of contracts and all the internal politics going on, you just never know. I mean, Ratliff looks like hell, but if Mangini cuts him, he looks foolish on draft day. Did anybody see potential in Ratliff? I just want Mangini too make the best decisions for the team. He says that is what he will do. Let's see if he actually will.

try not to climax on your computer.

Funny.. Figured that would garner some type of BQ lover boy response... Anyways, I for one don't care who wins... In fact, I root for the underdog. If DA wins the Job, then there is the satisfaction that he proved to be the better player. If BQ wins, there there is the possibility that we finally once again, have that franchise QB, or the so called, "Face of the team". And not that DA can't be the Franchise player as well. I just want the best man for the team.

DA to NE is laughable. You think Bill tolerates mental mistakes and turnovers? And he isn't giving up much for either QB. He is the last trading partner you want in all of this.

We need to keep both. No reason to trade either unless we get a offered something big. DA is worth more than you might think and we shouldn't low ball for him. Plus the QB market for backups is going to be saturated after cuts so why wouldn't a team just wait?

We're not moving one without someone breaking the bank. And because of the plethora of backups getting cut we won't get that bank.

I like BQ better than DA simply because I haven't seen him play. I I think BQ is a team player and a hard worker and wants to win. But I don't know if he is truly any better than DA. I would like to know before we trade him. I think that is why we keep Brady.

That's judging the book by it's cover. It's like not picking the fat kid in elementary school, only to find out the fat kid is quicker, hits harder, and is smarter player than the pretty kids you picked up first.

IMO, both guys performed well. It's a tough decision. Our starter could very well be determined by what we get in trade value. Which player brings the most value to the trading table.

DA did not play well outside 1 drive against the Lions. Other drives stalled out against vanilla D's before we got into scoring range thanks to some poor play by DA. I don't consider that good.

There is no "tough choice". The "touch choice" was made long ago. This preseason just reinforced that choice. Amazing some people just don't get it.

DA to NE is laughable. You think Bill tolerates mental mistakes and turnovers? And he isn't giving up much for either QB. He is the last trading partner you want in all of this.

We need to keep both. No reason to trade either unless we get a offered something big. DA is worth more than you might think and we shouldn't low ball for him. Plus the QB market for backups is going to be saturated after cuts so why wouldn't a team just wait?

We're not moving one without someone breaking the bank. And because of the plethora of backups getting cut we won't get that bank.

i think i remember big bill choosing vinny t, at one time if i'am not mistaken..

NFL Rumors: Derek Anderson Trade Looming?

September 04, 2009 By: Scott Category: Cleveland Browns

A lot of Browns fans were shocked to see that neither Brady Quinn nor Derek Anderson would be playing during last night’s game against the Bears.  For a quarterback controversy that had allegedly not been decided to this point, the surprise makes sense.

However, if you look at the other side of the coin, not playing the two quarterbacks does two things:

1) It keeps the decision in Eric Mangini’s court.  A few snaps at this point in the season would not make either quarterback better, especially at the cost of the downside of injury.  All it takes is one play; if either quarterback were to succumb to even a minor nick, not only does that take the decision out of Mangini’s hands, it also decreases the value of the other QB.

2) It (supposedly) keeps the Minnesota Vikings guessing. 

Now, to that second point.  A recent interview with Brian Asshole touched on the quarterback situation.  Asshole’s point was that it isn’t like Quinn and Anderson are very different in terms of skill set.  Sure, one throws a little further, and the other has more a presence in the huddle.  But we are not talking about one being a run-first, athletic type versus a pocket passer - similar to the Todd Boeckman/Terrelle Pryor use of last season. 

Factor in the new of the Browns making a waiver claim on yet another quarterback, albeit a failed one, and it seems that there is little chance that both quarterbacks will be on this roster for the duration of the 2009 NFL season.

Of course, Mangini was mum on the situation following last night’s contest. 

“In terms of the quarterbacks, I have no additional information on that. There’s nothing really to add.  The information I have based on what they’ve done at this point is what the decision will be based on.”

And on the failed attempt at claiming Kevin O’Connel?

“Something internal, so we’ll leave it at that.”

Recall that Brett Ratliff was traded for by Mangini on draft day.  His roster spot is pretty much a lock at this point - and it is not far-fetched to imagine that Mangini would like Ratliff to be the team’s No., 2 quarterback, instead of a third/emergency type role. 

There were talks that the Jacksonville Jaguars were hot on the trail of another quarterback to back-up David Garrard.  They recently added the abovementioned Todd Boeckman, but one would have to imagine that they would prefer Anderson if the cost was right.  Other NFL teams that could be  looking for an additional QB include the New York Jets (put in a claim for O’Connel), New England (no Cassell and recently released a back-up QB), Denver (they also put in a claim for O’Connel and Kyle Orton is their starter), Chicago (Caleb Haine is currently their No. 2), and St. Louis (Marc Bulger has a broken finger).   

Of course, this is all based on the mosaic theory.  We are just piecing different thoughts together, looking to come to a conclusion.  There may be just as good of a chance that Anderson is holding the clipboard come September 13th when Brett Favre and company role into town.  If that’s the case, Anderson will be holding that clipboard while making approximately $7 million.

\

I think DA is the starter. If Quinn was "in" he would have already been named. A lot of this Board's members are going to be uncomfortable after it happens. Get over it.

Bernie was also not considered starting material on a contending team at that point in his career either. Hence why he spent it as a backup elsewhere.

Belichick cited "diminshing skills" as the reason for reeleasing him and while most Browns fans were pissed off at the time, the reality was that he was right. He was lucky to go to the Cowboys where there was a stacked roster on both sides of the ball.

The only scenario I see BQ being dealt is if Mangini, after this competition, doesn't feel either one will be his future QB. In that case I can see him dealing the one that has the best value and riding out the season with the other one and then drafting his guy next year.

I never have understood this notion/train of thought. A superbowl isn't expected right out of the gate, but how would it fly if you told your boss you'd start producing/ selling next year, when you got your new company car instead of driving around that 4-yr-old Taurus the guy you replaced left around.

If quinn isn't Manginis guy, you sure as shit don't tell anyone, you start him this season, then work out a trade. Quinns value tanks when he gets offered this season (confirming he lost to Drive Assassin) or if he plays just as bad as DA for this season. Mangini saves more face playing Quinn rather than trading him in some half assed attempt to say, "maybe next year, Randy."

Sorry, friend. Not a chance in hell.

50/50 chance shep while BQ looks a bit better by statistics than DA he didnt overwelm mangini with fuzzy warm feelings he didnt take full control of the team and in the end DA will likely start he had a big payday he played in a probowl and has 2 years experience we all know what will happen if DA starts the question is does mangini know?

We need not even go there....just yet...;)

Mangini is wheelin and dealin at this moment and i can tell ya it aint DA thats being negotiated....we are likely stuck with DA he is worthless but BQ can bring mankok what he wants next year..

50/50 chance shep while BQ looks a bit better by statistics than DA he didnt overwelm mangini with fuzzy warm feelings he didnt take full control of the team and in the end DA will likely start he had a big payday he played in a probowl and has 2 years experience we all know what will happen if DA starts the question is does mangini know?

We need not even go there....just yet...;)

Mangini is wheelin and dealin at this moment and i can tell ya it aint DA thats being negotiated....we are likely stuck with DA he is worthless but BQ can bring mankok what he wants next year..

Theyve already had there shot to deal quinn, they had a first rounder offered in the offseason. If they are going to deal him they wouldve dealt him then.

No way Gips. Some want to say Quinn hasn't done enough to win the job. But has DA? What has Quinn done to lose his chance?

I think you're just busting balls. Even the Oregon feeds tonight are conceding saying the writing is on the wall.

I guess we'll know soon enough. I'm wondering if the starter will be announced indirectly via a trade.

When a starter is finally announced.... man, whoever manages to post the thread first will get a 17 page discussion and about 30 thousand "thanks".

Then, with nothing else to talk about, the board's activity will slow to a halt. A lot of posters just won't know what to DO anymore. :lol:

When a starter is finally announced.... man, whoever manages to post the thread first will get a 17 page discussion and about 30 thousand "thanks".

Then, with nothing else to talk about, the board's activity will slow to a halt. A lot of posters just won't know what to DO anymore. :lol:

They'll hang tight until the next Browns QB controversy comes along..... Who knows, it may not be that long.

\

I think DA is the starter. If Quinn was "in" he would have already been named. A lot of this Board's members are going to be uncomfortable after it happens. Get over it.

You got that right. I don't think anyone wants to watch Derek-bear shit himself again and 'lead' the team to a 4-12 season.

Zero chance, Gips. None.

Quinn played well from the first scrimmage to the last preseason game. He was sharp. He came in as the presumptive winner... and won. Quinn will be the starting quarterback against the Vikings come the 13th.

The only question is whether Anderson gets moved... and it's starting to look like it'll happen.

Shep, I agree. I think that the thing that cinches it for me is that Anderson's best came against Detroit. I think Quinn showed more in the other games. I think that there's a bit more to it however.

Quinn has impressed the coaches with his work ethic and film study as well. I think that there's got to be some behind-the-scenes factor to all of this.

No way Quinn gets traded. If that would happend, I would send Mangini a gross of PB & J, because that fat bastard would have to be eating Retard sandwiches. Quinn starts. Period. The only question is if we can get something for DA or not in a trade this season.

The biggest thing that will come from Quinn starting and what it will tell us: Do we have a franchise QB?

The system is basically setup to support his best skills. Flurry,Cribbs 3rd down killers. Edwards as Moss(with MMass as the trainee), checkdown TE in Royals ete ete.

With Brady developing into a above average QB, the Browns cross a major position off on the check list and speeds up the time the Browns can contend for a Super Bowl. It is like bypassing that 5-11 season and going right to 8-9 wins. The QB means so much.

The Browns defense will give up points, but with good QB, they can outscore some opponents.

You know the Browns are in process, and that someone like Jamal Lewis isn't really going to be a part of it. I'd certainly want to know if Brady Quinn and James Davis can be offensive building blocks along with Edwards, Thomas, and Mack.

It seems to me that when you watch Quinn quarterback the Browns, you watch drives. I like that.

Edwards is no building block.

Edwards is no building block.

I would say he's not the "cornerstone" but he certainly can be an important piece when his game is on. He's certainly better than anyone in a New York uniform right now. Your QB (whoever he is) isn't going to get far without a receiver to throw to.

I would say he's not the "cornerstone" but he certainly can be an important piece when his game is on. He's certainly better than anyone in a New York uniform right now. Your QB (whoever he is) isn't going to get far without a receiver to throw to.

Edwards is what he is. A jumping jack WR with great size, average quickness and below average hands. The Browns attempt to trade Edwards last year was no fluke, and no team was willing to pay anything better than a low 2.

That isn't a cornerstone or a building block. BB would have shipped out Braylon LAST offseason. Mankok is hoping he can put together a better season and up his value. Quite the gamble.

Archived