THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Answer Coming Soon

ClevelandFanForLife

Bernie was also not considered starting material on a contending team at that point in his career either. Hence why he spent it as a backup elsewhere.

Belichick cited "diminshing skills" as the reason for reeleasing him and while most Browns fans were pissed off at the time, the reality was that he was right. He was lucky to go to the Cowboys where there was a stacked roster on both sides of the ball.

true ,da,and quinn are what 25 ,i believe bill might think he can bring da along to make him a good starter ,, espically with a good o-line and a running game ,[da needs the perfect situation to excell] good ,a+ for the browns,we do not have the luxary to have 2 starters with as many holes on this teamas we have to fill ,,we are rebuilding ,either quinn is it or we hit the draft next year...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First, I'm not a Quinn lover but I see him as the lesser of 2 evils at this point and more consistent than DA, I would like to see what he could do over the course of a few games at least.

Second, maybe we can trade you for a real fan to be named later.

:laughs:aren't you the witty one? I guess you are the result when siblings breed.

Adkins is insinuating that the Browns are listening and there has been some chitter-chatter about a trade already. It's in the air.

There's little doubt that both SF and Denver would prefer Quinn for the kind of offense they both run. While I really, REALLY don't think the Browns would trade him, there is some speculation that Mangini believes he can win with either guy.

I'm starting to think Anderson might actually be moved very, very soon.

What is SUDDENLY making all these teams that COULD have signed DA in the offseason - ready to sign him now that he has yet to see page 1 of their playbook?

I know someone is going to say Brett Favre is doing it as we speak BUT understand the difference. Childress came from Philly as Andy Reid's OC. Andy Reid kept his playbook from Green Bay, which was the offense Brett Favre played in for a number of years. More specifically, it ain't new to Favre.

I just don't think DA has the mindset to learn a brand new offense within a couple of weeks. I've been wrong before...

- Tom F.

Here's some unfounded, but again fun, stuff:

(and cue Lums for the "chatter all

over the grid" part of this blog post)

DEREK ANDERSON TO THE PATRIOTS?

As mentioned earlier today, we’ve been hearing chatter regarding a series of potential trades in the National Football League–including one that may permanently end the QB debate in Cleveland.

In the wake of the Cutler debacle, there was talk about Josh McDaniels pursuing a trade with the Browns for QB Brady Quinn. It never went down. Meanwhile, speculation about a Derek Anderson trade dates back to January 2008.

Tonight, on the eve of the 2009 season, the New England Patriots are without a solid backup for Tom Brady. With only two quarterbacks on the roster, something has to change.

There’s chatter all over the grid that Mangini’s decision to sit both Quinn and Anderson last night had a purpose: resting Quinn for the starting role in Week One, and positioning Anderson for a trade that will happen over the next 48 hours. People speculate that the Browns and Pats couldn’t be talking–the Belichick/Mangini feud would prevent that, right? Nonsense. If the deal makes sense for both coaches and both teams, the trigger will be pulled.

While Derek Anderson is far from perfect, he’s young with a cannon arm, and may appeal to Belichick in the same way Vinny Testaverde did in 1993, when Belichick made the decision to release Bernie Kosar, much to the horror of the entire city. (People forget that Vinny wasn’t even healthy when Bernie was cut, but he figured into the coach’s plans for 1994, and he helped lead the Browns to an 11-5 season and their most recent playoff win–over Bill Parcells and the Patriots, of all teams.)

Derek Anderson recalls, in some ways, the imperfect--but dangerous--skillset of Vinny Testaverde.

People ripped on Vinny for his perceived lack of intelligence–and his knack for throwing costly interceptions. Belichick loved his arm, and fawned over his athleticism. Inherent to Anderson are some of those same strengths and weaknesses–when he thinks too much, and gets tight, he suffers. When he’s loose (we’ve said before that he should drink about three beers before every game), the guy just guns the ball all over the field. Anderson can be frustrating beyond comprehension–but he’s downright dangerous when he’s on. Besides, he’s toiled on a team that’s been in flux since the Reagan era. What would happen to Anderson under the guidance of Belichick and the Patriots? It’s a scary thought.

http://readandreact.net/2009/09/04/derek-a...riots/?noloop=1

Here's some unfounded, but again fun, stuff:

(and cue Lums for the "hearing all

over the grid" part of this blog post)

DEREK ANDERSON TO THE PATRIOTS?

As mentioned earlier today, we’ve been hearing chatter regarding a series of potential trades in the National Football League–including one that may permanently end the QB debate in Cleveland.

In the wake of the Cutler debacle, there was talk about Josh McDaniels pursuing a trade with the Browns for QB Brady Quinn. It never went down. Meanwhile, speculation about a Derek Anderson trade dates back to January 2008.

Tonight, on the eve of the 2009 season, the New England Patriots are without a solid backup for Tom Brady. With only two quarterbacks on the roster, something has to change.

There’s chatter all over the grid that Mangini’s decision to sit both Quinn and Anderson last night had a purpose: resting Quinn for the starting role in Week One, and positioning Anderson for a trade that will happen over the next 48 hours. People speculate that the Browns and Pats couldn’t be talking–the Belichick/Mangini feud would prevent that, right? Nonsense. If the deal makes sense for both coaches and both teams, the trigger will be pulled.

While Derek Anderson is far from perfect, he’s young with a cannon arm, and may appeal to Belichick in the same way Vinny Testaverde did in 1993, when Belichick made the decision to release Bernie Kosar, much to the horror of the entire city. (People forget that Vinny wasn’t even healthy when Bernie was cut, but he figured into the coach’s plans for 1994, and he helped lead the Browns to an 11-5 season and their most recent playoff win–over Bill Parcells and the Patriots, of all teams.)

Derek Anderson recalls, in some ways, the imperfect--but dangerous--skillset of Vinny Testaverde.

People ripped on Vinny for his perceived lack of intelligence–and his knack for throwing costly interceptions. Belichick loved his arm, and fawned over his athleticism. Inherent to Anderson are some of those same strengths and weaknesses–when he thinks too much, and gets tight, he suffers. When he’s loose (we’ve said before that he should drink about three beers before every game), the guy just guns the ball all over the field. Anderson can be frustrating beyond comprehension–but he’s downright dangerous when he’s on. Besides, he’s toiled on a team that’s been in flux since the Reagan era. What would happen to Anderson under the guidance of Belichick and the Patriots? It’s a scary thought.

http://readandreact.net/2009/09/04/derek-a...riots/?noloop=1

When he’s loose (we’ve said before that he should drink about three beers before every game), the guy just guns the ball all over the field. Anderson can be frustrating beyond comprehension–but he’s downright dangerous when he’s on. Besides, he’s toiled on a team that’s been in flux since the Reagan era. What would happen to Anderson under the guidance of Belichick and the Patriots? It’s a scary thought.

I would say DA is streaky rather he is loose or tensed up and i would also say he only has tunnelvision for one target at a time but when conditions are perfect and he gets 5 or more seconds to plant both his feet deep in the pocket and lets her rip he can be deadly but deadly can and does cut both ways with "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" however im reluctant to see mangini trade DA because he will be one of the best backups in the nfl and if mentored properly for a couple years DA could become a legit full service QB ratty however isnt ready for a no 2 spot not even close...

I dont think anyone will give what mankok may want for DA anyways...but ive been wrong more than right so....;)

I've read that the Broncos, Jets, and Patriots (at least) have contacted the Browns. The Jets aren't believed to be talking quarterbacks. A couple of our linebackers (like Leon Williams or Beau Bell) might be worthy of an "undisclosed draft choice." Same could be said of a few other guys at crowded spots, including WR.

The Broncos and Patriots are almost certainly talking quarterback. New England has an undrafted rookie behind Brady, who is dinged right now and coming off major surgery. I don't know what they'd offer to fill the Cassel Position, but it wouldn't be more than a 3rd if it's a pick (hey, they spend that on O'Connell, right?)... but the Browns would probably like a player since it's the same system.

Shawn Crable and Pierre Woods are both locals... and Braylon wouldn't feel so alone.

Pats have inquired about Ratliff and Broncos have inquired about Quinn and don't seem to be interested in DA. SF is the only team that has shown interest in DA that I have heard. Crable is said to be available and might even get released.

I've read the same stories....Anderson would seem to be a really expensive backup to Brady. He could very well start in Denver with how bad the QB's have looked there.

Of course it could be that Mangini likes Anderson better and we're talking about trading Quinn which would be surprising but not completely out of the question.

Adam Schefter to Peter King on Twitter:

Adam_Schefter@SI_PeterKing

Philly won't trade Feeley to NE, Peter, watch. But we are going to see a busy day.

2 minutes ago from UberTwitter in reply to SI_PeterKing

Now hearing NE might send a TE to Philly (PFT follow up to this tweet). My money says Ben Watson.

I say we speak up, if there is any chance of DA going to NE, that we immediately include Ben's name in the deal (and not only because I went to HS with him, or his father is a patient, but because he's a hell of a football player, and a super-high character guy).

Bye Rucker, Bye Royal.

Archived