THE BROWNS BOARD

Elon Musk buys Twitter!!! God bless America!

21 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

I would still describe myself as a classical liberal, but I'll give you mine.

• Musk vehemently disagreed with Trump on climate change and his 2017 travel ban. However, he met with Trump in spite of these differences. He was frustrated and spoke out against people who called on him to cut ties with Trump. He ultimately did quit Trump's American Enterprise Council when Trump backed out of the Paris Climate Accords. The fact that Musk bothered to try when Trump was getting Hitlerian comparisons was symbolic. I hadn't paid much attention to him up to this point, tbh. 
  • Musk makes a comment here or there for more transparency in big tech and big media. Calls out ownership of mass media. 
  • COVID happens. Everyone becomes a physician-scientist. Masks don't do anything. Masks fix everything. Masks slow the spread a little. Rinse and repeat for experimental medications. Ivermectin is now a right-wing drug. 
  • Posting criticisms of the response to the virus on social media may or may not result in being labeled a spreader of misinformation or having your account demonetized/shadowbanned/delisted/suspended. These people are labeled as conspiracy theorists. 
  • No oversight on who makes the above banning decisions. Right-wing twitter outraged that they appear to be targeted most. Independents more upset at the precedent this sets. 
  • Race riots happen. Pelosi and other Democrats in Congress wear dashikis. Corporations, in lockstep, release vague statements of support and change their social media pictures to a black background while doing actually nothing to address root causes. 
  • Criticisms of the violence being treated similarly as criticisms of COVID response. Independents still remain quiet because any disapproval will now come with the label of racist.
  • 2020 election coming up at this point
  • Musk makes another couple of comments here or there on how social media is ruining things
  • Social media and big media started making politically motivated censorship and promotion decisions.
  • Mass media colludes to decide that no one will report on Hunter Biden's dealings with a backwards Slavic slush fund of a nation, even though Trump Jr's dealings with a backwards Slavic slush fund of a nation were fair game. Anyone discussing such dealings is labeled as a conspiracy theorist.
  • Anyone posting anything about Hunter Biden's laptop on Twitter or Facebook gets algorithm'd - in my opinion, this was the turning point. Now, not only were the right-wing people being targeted upset about this, but classical liberals like Tulsi Gabbard, Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Sam Harris, Michael Tracey were now raising alarm bells too about the precedent that was set. At this point, they got deplatformed by the legacy media and labelled as Russian assets. When I pointed the danger of this precedent out to my neoliberal friends, the response was "Well, the media learned their lesson from 2016." I'm beside myself hearing that nonsense, but I truly think my friends actually believed what they were saying. 
  • The January 6th "Insurrection" happens and social media allows stories like "A cop got beat to death by insurrectionists" spread like wildfire, until they quietly recant the story a month later when it's out of the news cycle. I don't recall any misinformation labels going out on the people posting those stories
  • Trump gets banned from Twitter
  • Again, people like Gabbard, Greenwald, Taibbi, Harris, Tracey sound the alarm. Musk starts slinging mud at the tech giants on his social media account. 
  • Neoliberals and neoconservatives meanwhile are celebrating this as a victory "for democracy" and against "hate speech," ignoring the fact that people other than Trump supporters are uneasy that some Twitter programmers in San Francisco have this kind of power. Smug neoliberals tell anyone who finds this status quo unsettling to build their own Twitter
  • Some pissed off populists create Gab, a social media network intended for conservatives. Gab gets hacked and everyone who made an account has their identity leaked. Credit giants and banks halt any transfer of funds to gab accounts and the servers are shut down. Smug liberals tell them to make their own banks. 
  • 2022, Russia declares war on Ukraine. The same people who were calling the underdog Ukraine team backwater, Slav racists get reprogrammed to think of Ukraine as the representation of all democracy (never mind the dealings with our President's children nor the FBI investigating the Ukrainian oligarchs who owned most downtown Cleveland real estate in 2019 for money laundering. These pieces of shit fled to Ukraine under the protection of Zelenskyy. A digression from my point, but for having fucked with my city, I honestly hope the Russians get them.) 
  • Elon takes the mask off and begins shitposting "I support the current thing" memes. 
  • Musk buys Twitter one month later
  • Today, every conservative and moderate liberal who felt marginalized or labeled as a Russian asset is doing a victory lap. The hypocrites who cheered on Trump getting the boot and misinformation labels being applied to anything that goes against the groupthink are now upset that they are no longer the favored population at Twitter HQ.  

It's hard not to cheer him on right now. 

I don't really think money is the primary motivator for this. How on earth is he going to spin this into a quick buck? Certainly, there are easier ways to turn a profit. He may really value free speech that much. I hope he does. I think the motivation for this is his ego. He's the richest dude in the world. He's banged crazy Amber Heard and dumped her to upgrade to ...Grimes. He has ambitions to get a colony on Mars. If he somehow meets his lofty goals with this cesspool of a company, I'd argue it's as big a deal as landing humans on Mars.

Thanks for the effort and thought that went into that reply. Appreciate it. 

A few thoughts:

- Musk is a businessman, first and foremost. It makes business sense for him to try and keep America in the Paris Accords. It makes business sense (in his mind) to work more vs less during covid restrictions. Etc. I wouldn't say Musk bought Twitter for a "quick buck", but there ultimately has to be some business motive. He isn't dropping over $40b just so he can save free speech or whatever some people think he's doing. 

- I still don't think Twitter is the town square. I think the internet is the town square and Twitter is a popular bar on the corner. They can also do what they want as long as it's legal. If people don't like that they can go start another bar. Or they can buy Twitter. If Musk now wants to change the TOS and ban Lucid, Rivian, etc, then go for it. 

- I disagree with you take / recollection on covid, Jan 6th, etc but we don't need to rehash everything

- you're rooting for Russia? What? That one caught me a little off guard. Just because something is popular or transparent doesn't mean it's wrong. Just because people are doing meaningless things like changing their profile pic to a Ukrainian flag doesn't mean they're wrong. Bad Ukrainians can exist. I'm not sure how that remotely justifies Russia or how in the hell you can root for Russia. You're not going to like me saying this but that feels like you going a little too far down the internet well. I've kind of felt that vibe over the last few months too. But supporting Russia is an even further step.

- It was annoying when stereotypical weird internet nerds treated Musk like Tony Stark. The biggest thing in common being the financial support from their parents. Smart dude, great businessman... But not some self made super geniuses doing everyth he can to save the planet. There's a strategy in making your companies around government subsidies. Now, on top of that Tony Stark fanbase we have conservatives and conservative adjacents flooding in because Musk knows the internet memes and he's said things that go against the "woke" folks and liberals. Again, a group believing he's here to save free speech, rescue the country, MAGA, etc. I don't believe that. There's a business motive here. I wouldn't doubt an ego one as well. You don't do the things he's done without having an ego. But you don't spend $40b+ on ego or believe really super hard in free speech. Jesus businessman first an foremost.

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

OMG, the fucking leftist heads are going to explode!

We have Jen Sucki concerned about “misinformation” being disseminated on a Social Media platform!

So does that mean that all of the shit from Bigfoot, to Ghosts and Goblins aren’t true?!

Oh…THE HORROR!

5DF33D3D-44F8-470F-9DAF-427364AC5034.jpeg

Twitter has propagated misinformation in the past, it is now, and it will continue to in the future.

We have a 200+ page thread on this board with plenty of evidence of that

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

- you're rooting for Russia? What? That one caught me a little off guard. Just because something is popular or transparent doesn't mean it's wrong. Just because people are doing meaningless things like changing their profile pic to a Ukrainian flag doesn't mean they're wrong. Bad Ukrainians can exist. I'm not sure how that remotely justifies Russia or how in the hell you can root for Russia. 

You are misrepresenting my view. I have no issues with the Ukrainian people nor their desire for independence. I am indifferent over who controls access to the Black Sea, and I support neither side on this geopolitical issue. My issue is that the corrupt oligarchs who run Ukraine are being propped up as heroes of democracy, freedom, and truth.  President Zelenskyy has protected the people who have stolen wealth from the city of Cleveland from the justice of the FBI. Since they've escaped justice here, I would be delighted to see Kolomoisky and Bogolyubov get it in the form of Russian drone strikes.

You're not going to like me saying this but that feels like you going a little too far down the internet well. I've kind of felt that vibe over the last few months too. But supporting Russia is an even further step.

Your response is another example of my issue with neoliberals I brought up in that post. You read something you don't like, and instead of looking further into the issue, you immediately suggest that I think this way because I'm too far down the rabbit hole. Apparently, I've been spending too much time on internet backwaters such as Cleveland Scene and The Wall Street Journal. Perhaps if you spent less time huffing over what mass media is shoving down your throat, you may have read about this story that has had a direct, negative impact on our city. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

You are misrepresenting my view. I have no issues with the Ukrainian people nor their desire for independence. I am indifferent over who controls access to the Black Sea, and I support neither side on this geopolitical issue. My issue is that the corrupt oligarchs who run Ukraine are being propped up as heroes of democracy, freedom, and truth.  President Zelenskyy has protected the people who have stolen wealth from the city of Cleveland from the justice of the FBI. Since they've escaped justice here, I would be delighted to see Kolomoisky and Bogolyubov get it in the form of Russian drone strikes.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

WSS

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Twitter has propagated misinformation in the past, it is now, and it will continue to in the future.

We have a 200+ page thread on this board with plenty of evidence of that

In the context as a public forum, yes absolutely there will be people spewing bullshit.

My issue with these Social Media platforms is when they begin fact checking certain individuals, and let the other bullshitters slide.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

You are misrepresenting my view. I have no issues with the Ukrainian people nor their desire for independence. I am indifferent over who controls access to the Black Sea, and I support neither side on this geopolitical issue. My issue is that the corrupt oligarchs who run Ukraine are being propped up as heroes of democracy, freedom, and truth.  President Zelenskyy has protected the people who have stolen wealth from the city of Cleveland from the justice of the FBI. Since they've escaped justice here, I would be delighted to see Kolomoisky and Bogolyubov get it in the form of Russian drone strikes.

Your response is another example of my issue with neoliberals I brought up in that post. You read something you don't like, and instead of looking further into the issue, you immediately suggest that I think this way because I'm too far down the rabbit hole. Apparently, I've been spending too much time on internet backwaters such as Cleveland Scene and The Wall Street Journal. Perhaps if you spent less time huffing over what mass media is shoving down your throat, you may have read about this story that has had a direct, negative impact on our city. 

You so you were "hoping Russia gets them". If I misinterpreted that, my bad, but it isn't that difficult to do given the circumstances. If there are specific bad people on the Ukrainian side you're hoping see justice (whatever you consider justice), then so be it. I wouldn't disagree with the premise. But it is good to hear you aren't actively supporting Russia.

I knew the comment I made too about going down the rabbit hole would get some kind of response like that. Somewhere between being called a normie, naive, or a sheep (but in a respectful way). Me suggesting that has nothing to do with seeing information I don't like. I don't need se lecture about mass media or anything either. I'm not saying the Cleveland related story is fake or anything either. My comments don't stem just from this conversation. Look, you're clearly a very intelligent guy. Your reason for getting near what I am calling a rabbit hole is probably different than those I'd have less respect. You're probably being much more responsible with it too. 

Call me a neoliberal, arrogant, blind, whatever. We'll agree to disagree. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

Do you disagree with what I said about the story of the cop being bludgeoned to death by insurrectionists?

That ended up not happening. He died of two strokes. You'd think they were related to what he just experienced hours earlier, but he didn't die of a strike to the head. 

Of course, if what people believe is a trustworthy source is communicating that (capitol police - died from injuries sustained while defending capitol), then how could social media in the moment know to mark it as misinformation?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I understand it's a big part of Twitter but I've never given much of a s*** about the politics. I don't even really follow anybody but if I did it might be some sports writer or rock and roll musician. Just to keep up with what's going on.

I guess some people get a lot more of their news from Twitter than I would. Which, I assume, is why some of the people are so angry that it's not only going to be  solely a liberal cesspool now. 

🙂

WSS

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

That ended up not happening. He died of two strokes. You'd think they were related to what he just experienced hours earlier, but he didn't die of a strike to the head. 

Of course, if what people believe is a trustworthy source is communicating that (capitol police - died from injuries sustained while defending capitol), then how could social media in the moment know to mark it as misinformation?

ok, simply put - they did not know. but they happily knee jerk with the leftwing false narratives - apparently because it has "worked" for them, or they love that side of the politics war. or both.

Just now, calfoxwc said:

ok, simply put - they did not know. but they happily knee jerk with the leftwing false narratives - apparently because it has "worked" for them, or they love that side of the politics war. or both.

Pres Trump russian collusion - LIE

Jan 6th "insurrection" - LIE

Michigan kidnapping not involving undercover instigator agents  - LIE

Pres Trump dossier - LIE

there's more....

- I still don't think Twitter is the town square. I think the internet is the town square and Twitter is a popular bar on the corner. They can also do what they want as long as it's legal. If people don't like that they can go start another bar. Or they can buy Twitter. If Musk now wants to change the TOS and ban Lucid, Rivian, etc, then go for it.

I think it's an apt comparison. A town square is something that everyone in the community has some interaction with, whereas the bar is just for a niche group of people. I personally do not have a Twitter account, and I don't intend to make one because of Elon's buyout, and I do not visit the website. In spite of this, I huge portion of my news still comes from this cesspool. Every media outlet embeds tweets onto their webpages. Screenshots of twitter posts make it to other social media like these forums, reddit, and 4chan. I avoid the site like the plague, but I can't escape its influence. I'm not sure where exactly you sit on the topic of Twitter's utility, but I'd bet that you get a decent amount of your news from it too. Just looking at this forum, we've got people from 3 generations, all across the political spectrum, who will post screenshots from it. 

Not sure who any of those guys you mentioned are, but I hope Musk does not enact any politically motivated retribution. Though if he did, I would certainly laugh my ass off at it.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Does anyone truly trust Musk?

Trust him to do what? Fix twitter? Time will tell. I'm optimistic. 

13 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

I think it's an apt comparison. A town square is something that everyone in the community has some interaction with, whereas the bar is just for a niche group of people. I personally do not have a Twitter account, and I don't intend to make one because of Elon's buyout, and I do not visit the website. In spite of this, I huge portion of my news still comes from this cesspool. Every media outlet embeds tweets onto their webpages. Screenshots of twitter posts make it to other social media like these forums, reddit, and 4chan. I avoid the site like the plague, but I can't escape its influence. I'm not sure where exactly you sit on the topic of Twitter's utility, but I'd bet that you get a decent amount of your news from it too. Just looking at this forum, we've got people from 3 generations, all across the political spectrum, who will post screenshots from it. 

Not sure who any of those guys you mentioned are, but I hope Musk does not enact any politically motivated retribution. Though if he did, I would certainly laugh my ass off at it.

Trust him to do what? Fix twitter? Time will tell. I'm optimistic. 

Not political, they're other EV companies. I'm saying since he owns Twitter (and Tesla) he could kick his competitors off now. 

Sorry, I still don't think it's the town square. I think the internet is, and I think the internet should be a utility. 

This isn't to you Vambo, but the others. Musk isn't a conservative. If you think he's doing any of this to support some conservative ideal, you're mistake. He's a libertarian at best, and you have some overlap. I still think this is all motivated by some business angle. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Not political, they're other EV companies. I'm saying since he owns Twitter (and Tesla) he could kick his competitors off now. 

Sorry, I still don't think it's the town square. I think the internet is, and I think the internet should be a utility. 

This isn't to you Vambo, but the others. Musk isn't a conservative. If you think he's doing any of this to support some conservative ideal, you're mistake. He's a libertarian at best, and you have some overlap. I still think this is all motivated by some business angle. 

Honestly Woody I'm not sure that there are very many people who are true conservatives or true liberals when it comes to power and wealth.

And I'm pretty sure it's always been that way.

WSS

5 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Musk may not be a conservative, but we know he’s not a Communist either.

• Upvote 2

On 4/29/2022 at 4:50 AM, Westside Steve said:

Honestly Woody I'm not sure that there are very many people who are true conservatives or true liberals when it comes to power and wealth.

And I'm pretty sure it's always been that way.

WSS

I'd say that's a fair statement