THE BROWNS BOARD

Analyzing AFC North Opponents; Steelers; 5 Big Questions

The Gipper

OK, and here we go on the questions for the Defending Champions. (Have to grudgingly give them their due)

1. Will their quarterback continue to be able to pull rabbits out of his hat and make clutch plays to pull out games as he has done often in the past?

2. Has the Steelers offensive line which started last year in patchwork fashion improved?

3. Can their Defense repeat as the #1 ranked defense in the league and pull their 22nd ranked offense along with them to win most games?

4. Will running back Warner Mendenhall contribute to the Steelers running game?

5. What will be the Steelers final record for the 2009 season?

OK, and here we go on the questions for the Defending Champions. (Have to grudgingly give them their due)

1. Will their quarterback continue to be able to pull rabbits out of his hat and make clutch plays to pull out games as he has done often in the past?

He is what he is Not always pretty..just a scrappy Warrior of a QB. He will continue this until the Beating he takes Makes him Stop Playing.

2. Has the Steelers offensive line which started last year in patchwork fashion improved?

This line has Improved as a PASSBLOCKING Line. The Run Blocking still fails to Impress Me. This will keep the Offense a little below par for a Superbowl Contender.

3. Can their Defense repeat as the #1 ranked defense in the league and pull their 22nd ranked offense along with them to win most games?

D is Solid... It will continue until teams figuer out There is ONE Way to beat the Steeler D. Patience to run quick 4 to 8 yard Pass plays and inch you way down field . Have a Good kicker and a Good D. Beat our guys in close games.

Not sure what Warner means I know him as , Rashard Jamal Mendenhall. He fumbles too much and Our Run blocking is Blaaa... The Running game is an Afterthought in Pittsburgh. I would love that the Running game WAS effective. But it really isnt. The Steelers will still win a lot of games despite this fact.

12-4 (11-5 "IF" the Browns , finally steal one) But its all Just a guess...

He is what he is Not always pretty..just a scrappy Warrior of a QB. He will continue this until the Beating he takes Makes him Stop Playing.

This line has Improved as a PASSBLOCKING Line. The Run Blocking still fails to Impress Me. This will keep the Offense a little below par for a Superbowl Contender.

D is Solid... It will continue until teams figuer out There is ONE Way to beat the Steeler D. Patience to run quick 4 to 8 yard Pass plays and inch you way down field . Have a Good kicker and a Good D. Beat our guys in close games.

Not sure what Warner means I know him as , Rashard Jamal Mendenhall. He fumbles too much and Our Run blocking is Blaaa... The Running game is an Afterthought in Pittsburgh. I would love that the Running game WAS effective. But it really isnt. The Steelers will still win a lot of games despite this fact.

Another point that should be made is that the Steelers punting and kick return game are going to be much improved from last season as well. Daniel Sepulveda is going to punt the ball 1000 times better then guys like Berger and Ernster did for the Steelers last season. He is going to pin a lot of offenses back deep in their own end which is going to make the Steelers number 1 ranked defense even that much tougher for opposing offenses to deal with.

Also, the Steelers kickoff and punt return game is going to much better as well because of the emergence of a guy the Steelers picked up from the CFL named Stefan Logan. How anybody in the NFL allowed the defending Super Bowl Champs to get this guy is just mind-boggling I dont know if Browns fans or other fans have seen this guy in action yet the last 3 preseason games but Ill tell you right now this guy is a flat out gamebreaker. If anybody has watched him he has Devin Hester like return ability and is capable of taking one to the house anytime he gets his hands on the ball. He is going to return a bunch of kicks for TD's this season for sure, and give the Steelers offense much much better field position when they begin drives.

Another point that should be made is that the Steelers punting and kick return game are going to be much improved from last season as well. Daniel Sepulveda is going to punt the ball 1000 times better then guys like Berger and Ernster did for the Steelers last season. He is going to pin a lot of offenses back deep in their own end which is going to make the Steelers number 1 ranked defense even that much tougher for opposing offenses to deal with.

Also, the Steelers kickoff and punt return game is going to much better as well because of the emergence of a guy the Steelers picked up from the CFL named Stefan Logan. How anybody in the NFL allowed the defending Super Bowl Champs to get this guy is just mind-boggling I dont know if Browns fans or other fans have seen this guy in action yet the last 3 preseason games but Ill tell you right now this guy is a flat out gamebreaker. If anybody has watched him he has Devin Hester like return ability and is capable of taking one to the house anytime he gets his hands on the ball. He is going to return a bunch of kicks for TD's this season for sure, and give the Steelers offense much much better field position when they begin drives.

LOL, Well at least we know that Ernster sucked for both the Browns and Steelers......

Very good points brother. We will see How Logan does at NFL GAMETIME Speed. But indications are indeed good.

Very true that Logan has looked electric, but i would wait until he is consistently performing against game-speed #1 return teams. Even the best returners in the league get figured out and held in check for the most part. (Then again ANYONE is better than Davenport, and the other scrap they've had doing it.) Hester, Cribbs Dante Hall all tappered off after a huge start. The only difference with Cribbs is that he is the most complete special teams player in the league, an excellent gunner, solid receiver and game changing returner. All Logan will do is return kicks.

The Steelers aren't the most talented Team, but they are run the best and their players play with confidence. This means a great deal. Under Romeo and the other buffoons before him the players had little confidence....and it showed.

The problem is Ben HAS to be amazing for this team to be great. Their D is very good but can be beaten by the better teams in the league. Their offensive talent, besides Ben, is just above average. They are an injury to a D-line man or OLB away from being very susceptible to big offensive attacks.

My answers are exactly like freaks on the steelers i doubt we will beat the steelers this year but the stoolers arent going to have a cakewalk victory this year in either match they will have to earn it...;)

Not sure where I got Warner. There is a famous Warner Mendenhall out there somewhere.

I will give a try at answering my own questions:

Yes, if the tackling in this league stays as poor as it is, what with defenders always trying to make the "big hit" instead of wrapping up a ball carrier...be it BR or anyone else. The Browns are as bad as anyone at this. They have probably lost 2 games to the Steelers by just failing to wrap up BR when they have had him in their grasps. He is big and strong and is able to get away if you come in with lame tackles.

It has improved enough to allow them to win a title. It may not be the greatest line, but it got the job done well enough to let them conduct that late game winning drive in the SB. If they don't stay improved, that little scare BR got with his achilles problem may just be the beginning of serious O-line issues.

As long as they have Dick LeBeau, who can take decent players and make them seem like superstars, yes. And they will have to continue to do this. I don't think the Steelers offense will improve to even the top 1/2 of offenses in the league, so their defense must, and with LeBeau, probably will carry the load.

Yes, he will "contribute". He will be a decent runner. Somewhat of a change of pace, but no superstar as som Steeler fans think.

I think they will retrench somewhat. Go 10-6, though that would probably still be sufficient to win the division.

I agree with pretty much everything you say Gipper with the exception of the Steelers record being 10-6. There is no way the Steelers will lose 6 games looking at their schedule unless they have major injuries at QB with Ben going down and on defense losing a guy like Harrison or Polamalu. They play the 3rd easiest schedule in the league and play a lot of the tougher games they do have at home such as the Titans,Chargers,Vikings, and Packers just to name a few. They also play teams like the Lions,Raiders,Chiefs,and Broncos who are all still mediocre to bad football teams that just do not match up well with the Steelers. Plus, the Browns and Bengals as well with all due respect will have a hard time stealing one win from the Steelers this season because they still are not improved enough on both sides of the ball.

While the Steelers could lose a few of those home games I just mentioned, they will win more of them then they lose. They play the Titans and Chargers in primetime at Heinz Field, and the Steelers record in primetime at home since 2004 Ben's first year as the starting QB and under Tomlin as well since he has been here since 2007 has been damn near perfect...Maybe Ill be wrong and you will be right and they will lose 6 games but I just dont see it. They have too much talent on defense, and the offense this season with a healthier running game and a better receiving core and kicking game as well with Stefan Logan returning kicks and Sepulveda punting make this Steelers team very talented across the board and very tough to beat i they are on the top of their game week in and week out.

I agree with pretty much everything you say Gipper with the exception of the Steelers record being 10-6. There is no way the Steelers will lose 6 games looking at their schedule unless they have major injuries at QB with Ben going down and on defense losing a guy like Harrison or Polamalu. They play the 3rd easiest schedule in the league and play a lot of the tougher games they do have at home such as the Titans,Chargers,Vikings, and Packers just to name a few. They also play teams like the Lions,Raiders,Chiefs,and Broncos who are all still mediocre to bad football teams that just do not match up well with the Steelers. Plus, the Browns and Bengals as well with all due respect will have a hard time stealing one win from the Steelers this season because they still are not improved enough on both sides of the ball.

While the Steelers could lose a few of those home games I just mentioned, they will win more of them then they lose. They play the Titans and Chargers in primetime at Heinz Field, and the Steelers record in primetime at home since 2004 Ben's first year as the starting QB and under Tomlin as well since he has been here since 2007 has been damn near perfect...Maybe Ill be wrong and you will be right and they will lose 6 games but I just dont see it. They have too much talent on defense, and the offense this season with a healthier running game and a better receiving core and kicking game as well with Stefan Logan returning kicks and Sepulveda punting make this Steelers team very talented across the board and very tough to beat i they are on the top of their game week in and week out.

A 10-6 record will still be enough probably to win this division. On any given Sunday in the NFL one team can beat another. Complacency may crop in a bit to dull the edge. And yes, I actually do foresee BR missing some games...though you may be right about the schedule. No one, no matter how good or bad they were the previous season is guranteed to repeat that success or failure.....if that was the case then the Browns would have been 10-6 last year, right?

A 10-6 record will still be enough probably to win this division. On any given Sunday in the NFL one team can beat another. Complacency may crop in a bit to dull the edge. And yes, I actually do foresee BR missing some games...though you may be right about the schedule. No one, no matter how good or bad they were the previous season is guranteed to repeat that success or failure.....if that was the case then the Browns would have been 10-6 last year, right?

Im calling the Steelers to go 13-3 this year maybe even 14-2 if they stay injury free and Ben doesnt go down. Maybe I sound like a homer and that's fine, but I am also realistic as well and if the Steelers stay healthy as I just mentioned they have the potential to dominate with that type of schedule they have. The defense is still all there and the offense with the line,rb's,and wr's as a whole have all improved from this year to last. Along with the kick and punt return game having more speed with Stefan Logan and Mike Wallace, and Daniel Sepulveda returning from injury to do the punting duties. And while Big Gay Ben isnt the most flashy QB numbers wise and isnt going to put up Brady and Manning like numbers he knows how to do one thing that Ill take anyday over good stats or anything else and that's win football games at critical times in the game when he has too. It's all he has done since he has been the starting QB for the Steelers since 2004.

While people are still insistant upon the fact that the Steelers win because of their defense and a lot of that is true, they still dont win 2 out of the last 4 Super Bowls without Big Gay Ben period. It's why previous QB's the Steelers had like O'Donnell,Kordell,and Maddox that also had great defenses around them failed because they didnt know how to win and be clutch and great like Ben knows how to be when he absolutely has to be...

Pitt should have a cakewalk to the AFC North title. I just hope we can beat 'em once.

I'm not sure the Ravens are all that good, but who knows. I could see Balt, Cincy & the Browns all with 6-8 wins, Pitt somewhere at 11-5 or 12-4. The Ravens had a great season last year, but I'm still not sold. The Steelers are good at protecting their home field, so maybe they might lose one home game. Cincy is kind of like the Browns, hard to predict what they will do.

I could see Pitt vs. the Patriots in the AFC title game yet again. Man, it sucks to write that :mad:

Archived