THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker's back

Icecube

There's been banter on sports shows that keeping Baker around for the start of the season isn't the dumbest thing ever for Baker or the Browns. It's looking like Watson will get at least some suspended games to start he season. If Baker can start and go, say 4-2, it wouldn't be the worst thing for either party.

4-2, 2-4 it just seems like a very poorly thought out professional football team deal to me.

It looks like the BROWNS wanted a new quarterback and he was Deshaun Watson  "no matter what".......and they’re getting the no matter what  part.

What a way to run a football team.  Part football part soap opera.

...... edit and no I don't listen to sports show banter.

Edited by mjp28

12 minutes ago, Icecube said:

There's been banter on sports shows that keeping Baker around for the start of the season isn't the dumbest thing ever for Baker or the Browns. It's looking like Watson will get at least some suspended games to start he season. If Baker can start and go, say 4-2, it wouldn't be the worst thing for either party.

I still think there is no way he’s back.  Not because of the player but the person.  He’s not shown the level of maturity for me to believe he will be the QB for the Browns ever again.  

Having said that there is no way I cut him.  

And he will be on a short list as soon as a QB goes down or as soon as the Seahawks and/or Panthers finally realize what they have is either garbage or not ready.  

So I’ll take a good locker room, a second day pick and Brissett and maybe 3-3 record (schedule ain’t bad early) over a 5-1/4-2 dysfunctional mess.  Might sound crazy but let’s just peak at end and get into the playoffs and see what happens 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I still think there is no way he’s back.  Not because of the player but the person.  He’s not shown the level of maturity for me to believe he will be the QB for the Browns ever again.  

and....sleazy watson HAS ????

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and....sleazy watson HAS ????

That's Mr DeSleazy Watson.   :lol:

• Haha 2

Jacoby Brissett's last year as a starter:

Indy, 2019: 7-8, 60.9%, 2,942 yds, 18td 6 int 88.0 rating.

Baker last year:

Cle, 2021: 6-8, 60.5%, 3,010 yds, 17 Td, 13 int, 84.1 rating.

Yep, Bake played injured last year, but his career rating of 87.8 is not much better than Brisket's 83.0

So Jacoby will be fine handling the 4-6 games suspension. There is no upside for Baker taking another snap as a Brown.

Z

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zombo said:

There is 0 chance Baker plays one down with this franchise again.

It's over, kids.

Get to know Jacoby Brissett

Z

You are probably right, but I am not as sure.

Right now it is pretty evident that nobody is sure on Baker.  If teams though he was the guy, they would make the trade.  That isn't happening.  Right now teams are playing the leverage game.  If Baker went out a played well, all that shit goes away and several teams would be lined up for his services.

The best way for Baker to get a big contract is to go prove he is worth a big contract.  At this point he isn't getting that chance with another team, so his only real option might be to do it for this team.  It might be in the best interest of all involved to put the bad blood aside and do what would prove to be the best option for all.

Baker re-establish himself as a QB with no lingering concerns and a top 10-15 ranking and the Brown get some wins during the Watson suspension.  Baker going out to deliberately suck would hurt the team, but it would also hurt him, so I don't see that happening. That would also be his best way to stick it to the Browns.  This way Baker gets what he wants, we get a trade partner willing to deal.

24 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

You are probably right, but I am not as sure.

Right now it is pretty evident that nobody is sure on Baker.  If teams though he was the guy, they would make the trade.  That isn't happening.  Right now teams are playing the leverage game.  If Baker went out a played well, all that shit goes away and several teams would be lined up for his services.

The best way for Baker to get a big contract is to go prove he is worth a big contract.  At this point he isn't getting that chance with another team, so his only real option might be to do it for this team.  It might be in the best interest of all involved to put the bad blood aside and do what would prove to be the best option for all.

Baker re-establish himself as a QB with no lingering concerns and a top 10-15 ranking and the Brown get some wins during the Watson suspension.  Baker going out to deliberately suck would hurt the team, but it would also hurt him, so I don't see that happening. That would also be his best way to stick it to the Browns.  This way Baker gets what he wants, we get a trade partner willing to deal.

It doesn't matter what Baker wants. The Browns have moved on and Jacoby is the backup.

Baker will not be in the offensive meetings, Baker in no way will be a part of this team.

Z

Just now, Zombo said:

It doesn't matter what Baker wants. The Browns have moved on and Jacoby is the backup.

Baker will not be in the offensive meetings, Baker in no way will be a part of this team.

Z

Like I acknowledged in the first post, the odds are you are probably right.  I am just expressing a reason why there is a chance that might not happen.

I want Baker gone.  I didn't get in to any of the negatives associated with keeping him around for 4-5 games.  No doubt there would be negatives.