THE BROWNS BOARD

Memorial Day Weekend

calfoxwc

~~~~~  ★  HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND  ★ ~~~~~

And let's take a big step back from all of the festivities and remember what it's all about. 

I only have to go as far as my own family and my dad, from The Greatest Generation and all they did to build this country. 

in WWII a Bronze Star for service in the North African Campaign and the beginning of the invasion of Sicily.   Then called up to WestPac to finish the war then the reserves.  Then after 10 years and out  -but-  he was called back to Korea in 1950 when they took the New Jersey BB-62 out of mothballs as  " A Person Necessary for the War Effort ".   He was the Chief Electrician during  WWII.

And my uncle Nick a member of   The 750th Tank Battalion in Europe.   They were in it from D-Day on.

And my uncle John a pilot in the Air Corps.

And my wonderful father-in-law a Staff Sargent in the Pacific,  highly decorated in a lot of hell holes there.

~~~~~~~~~~   🇺🇸   ~~~~~~~~~~

And thanks to all of our veterans from every  branch of the service in every decade.

That's why we fly our flags 365.  

20180704_105433-1.thumb.jpg.057155dbaca279635f10af3f74d84a91.jpg

• Thanks 3

For Sgt Daniel K. Methvin, only son of my across the hall office mate Linda Methvin, killed along with two others while protecting a children's hospital near Baghdad July 26, 2003.

And for 3 young civilian engineers in charge of the electrical plant & systems for an airstrip outside Phan Thiet. Their names will be forever lost to all but their families and not on any memorial anywhere. Killed together when their civilian jeep was blown off the road in early 1971. All 3 were then shot in the head for the next passersby to find on the side of the road.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

We went to a Memorial Day parade. It was fun. Flags waving, hs band, our neighbor's daughter made sure we were going to see her marching in it.

I still remember a lot of stories - friends back at Keesler - who had lost Fathers in battle, and enlisted to follow in their footsteps. Msgt I was on alert with - lost his Dad in the Korean war.

So many American Soldiers who never came home - served to keep families back home safe from the world's wars.

• Thanks 2

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Gettysburg-National-Cemetary.jpg

• Thanks 6
  • Upvote 1