THE BROWNS BOARD

★ Cleveland BROWNS glorious football history and traditions.  A necessary look back. ★

mjp28

★ Cleveland BROWNS glorious football history and traditions.  A necessary look back. ★

It's time to get our football minds out of today's headlines and take a look back at our 73 years of professional football here in NE Ohio and elsewhere.   

If you have any special moments or other BROWNS stories good, funny or otherwise please join in,  

TEAM HISTORY

• Founded in 1944, the Browns officially joined the NFL in 1950 along with the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts from the All-America Football Conference after that league folded.
  • The Browns quickly established themselves as perennial contenders, winning four NFL Championships from 1950-64.
  • In 1961, Arthur B. Modell purchased the Browns for a then-record price of $4 million and in 1970, he moved the Browns to the American Football Conference.
  •  The Browns played in the first Monday Night Football game on September 21, 1970, defeating the New York Jets, 31-21.

TEAM FACTS

• Seasons: 73 (1946-95, 1999-2021) 
  • Winningest Coach: (W-L-T) Paul Brown (158-48-8)
  • Super Bowl Titles: 0 
  • Record going into 2021 season: (W-L-T) 533-509-14
  • Playoff Record: 17-21
  • Most Career Yards Rushing: Jim Brown, 12,312 (1957-65) 
  • Most Career Yards Passing: Brian Sipe, 23,713 (1974-83)
  • Most Career Receptions: Ozzie Newsome, 662 (1978-90)
  • Most Career Sacks: Clay Matthews, 62 (1978-93)
  • Most Career Interceptions: Thom Darden, 45 (1972-81)
  • Most Career Points: Lou Groza, 1,608 (1946-67)
  • Current Team Owner: Jimmy Haslam and Dee Haslam   

690145460d7075c1a9b644a47b05538618e7d4b0.png

• Thanks 1

FIRST ENERGY STADIUM

Cleveland, OH....but can it really replace the Ol' Muni Stadium and all of it's wonderful sights and smells ?   :blink:

BUILT: 1999

CAPACITY: 67,895

SURFACE: Bluegrass

879456fd70511fcb1c64ab3fc7158fa9415af611.jpg

154381401bfb5c047d7bb01533a95a1f28028d1d.jpg

• Like 1

I have so many memories from old Municipal! I worked for a certain ethnic portable toilet company from 1985-1990! We had the extra port-o-lets in the stadium! We used that as an excuse to attend all home games from 1985-1990! Those games and experiences will last a lifetime!!! The double overtime with the Jets! The"Drive" game next...I still feel the craziness when the "Drive" started to the SILENCE after! I  will be a Browns fan till I die just because of THAT day, but there was so much more to my Fandom than that!! It was a nasty job, but the perks were SO WORTH IT!!! as always GO BROWNS!!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

You have to be a old timer, but Abe Abraham is a golrious part of browns tradition.

Linked is a bit on Abe.  Don't kill the messenger, it is linked to a Wolverines site for some off reason. I suppose it proves even those people have some sense of decency..

Abe was the man in the brown suit who made running catches of point after's and field goals.  He was always fun to watch and cheer for.

[url]Stiles Points - "So let it be written, so let it be done": Abe Abraham - The Man in the Brown Suit - Loved his Cleveland Browns of the NFL[/url]

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 6/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, mjp28 said:

images (1).jpeg    Favorite quarterbacks or moments  ?

Bernie-Kosar.jpg

So many great memories & moments. Unfortunately they're outnumbered by some sad moments, but here's my highlights of favorite games attended:

• 1st game in person was vs Cincy in 1972, Browns win 27-6
  • 1973 when Greg Pruitt trudged through the mud & they beat the Steelers 21-16. 
  • 1979 Browns hammer the Cowboys on MNF 26-7
  • 1980 Sipe to Logan to beat Green Bay 26-21
  • 1980 Sipe hits Ozzie in the corner, Browns 27-Steelers 26
  • 1983, back-to-back shutouts of Tampa Bay & New England (NE on the road)
  • 1986, the Browns were clearly the best in the NFL (especially after week 7) but, well, the dam prevent D and the FG was NO GOOD 
  • 2007 Browns rally to beat Seattle in OT 33-30
  • 2018 Browns beat NY Jets behind Baker Mayfield's magic. First time we left the stadium happy in a couple seasons lol

I miss the old AFC Central battles with Cincy & Houston too, some awesome games. 

Thankkfully I've seen the Browns play every NFL team here in Cle. I won't ever go see them play Baltimore again though, once was enough. 

• Thanks 1

I have some great Cleveland BROWNS memories from the late 1950s throughout this Ol' Muni days both on TV and some choice games at the stadium. 

I've seen far more Indians games obviously because there are so many to choose from but from 1976 to 1980 when I was working at US Steel Maintenance on the weekend repair shifts my superintendent would stop by on Saturday and ask if I wanted four 50 yard line COMPLIMENTARY tickets for Sunday's game.  WHOA.  You never knew what games he had purely random games.

I'd then go and try and find 3 other guys and we'd go !   I remember one weekend he had four 50 yard line seats for the SOLD OUT Pittsburgh Steelers versus the CLEVELAND BROWNS.  Another WHOA,  well I could only find 2 others to go at that last minute so we had an empty seat between us nice for holding our binoculars and stuff.  Many just like that a serendipitous fun GAMEDAY. 

One of my all time favorite TV games was that NY Jets OT classic when Bernie Kosar put up some record numbers.   And so many more when I was going to YSU and would go to Tony's Hideaway to watch MNF I especially remember in September 1971 when i turned 21.  No BROWNS but it was a classic.

Football & Food & Friends those were the days.......

ikypjq2ffx8pw30vttzp.jpeg

091_clevelandmunicipalstadium.jpeg

• Upvote 1

This guy belongs in the NFL Hall of Fame, period.  #57.  He's an iron man almost never missed a start over his entire career.

download (5).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

On 6/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, mjp28 said:

I have some great Cleveland BROWNS memories from the late 1950s throughout this Ol' Muni days both on TV and some choice games at the stadium. 

I've seen far more Indians games obviously because there are so many to choose from but from 1976 to 1980 when I was working at US Steel Maintenance on the weekend repair shifts my superintendent would stop by on Saturday and ask if I wanted four 50 yard line COMPLIMENTARY tickets for Sunday's game.  WHOA.  You never knew what games he had purely random games.

I'd then go and try and find 3 other guys and we'd go !   I remember one weekend he had four 50 yard line seats for the SOLD OUT Pittsburgh Steelers versus the CLEVELAND BROWNS.  Another WHOA,  well I could only find 2 others to go at that last minute so we had an empty seat between us nice for holding our binoculars and stuff.  Many just like that a serendipitous fun GAMEDAY. 

One of my all time favorite TV games was that NY Jets OT classic when Bernie Kosar put up some record numbers.   And so many more when I was going to YSU and would go to Tony's Hideaway to watch MNF I especially remember in September 1971 when i turned 21.  No BROWNS but it was a classic.

Football & Food & Friends those were the days.......

ikypjq2ffx8pw30vttzp.jpeg

091_clevelandmunicipalstadium.jpeg

I especially like the top photo.  I have desktop model of the stadium from the Danbury Mint.  I have it in front of me in the same configuration as I type.  It looks spot on.  Even the Indians sign is proportioned correctly.