Jump to content
THE BROWNS BOARD

Top Gun Maverick


Recommended Posts

I give it an A+.

I checked it out with my racquetball partner who was an instructor at the USAF Weapons School (equivalent to Navy "Top Gun"}. He confirmed that it was a great movie to show exactly what it's like to be a fighter pilot and told me the canyon scenes are not fake at all. Those planes and pilots really do have training canyons that they run through. The one in the mountains in the end is located in Washington state (not giving away any movie ending other than location).

Anyway his take for all the flying scenes is also A+ with only a technical glitch or two. He loved the movie as well. 

I only had two things that I felt could not ever happen, but I will only talk about one for now and the other after others have had a chance to see the movie. The first is that no one will still be in the service if they are still a Capt. after 30 years. That comes out right at the beginning of the movie so no spoiler there. Captains get rifted if they don't make major well before year 20. They don't even qualify for retirement unless they spent many years enlisted and later in their career became an officer. It is relatively rare that that happens, but it does happen in the Army anyway. I don't know about the AF.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Oops I forgot to post a review. I gave it an a. Wishy-washy about the first one, I thought this one was great.

Me too Steve. I didn't like the first one and then read how the second one was made with realistic in airplane cameras with actors flying 2nd seat with real qualified Top Gun pilots. Cruise does his own flying in the WW II Mustang which he owns and does aerobatics in all the time just for grins. Here is a really funny youtube where he takes the comedian James Corden for a "flying" lesson in that and a jet Cruise also flies.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

crap, we wanted to see that movie at the drive in theater, but when we got there, it was too late - sold out. I keep hearing that it is excellent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

crap, we wanted to see that movie at the drive in theater, but when we got there, it was too late - sold out. I keep hearing that it is excellent.

I suggest going to a real theater with a real screen. Just saying.

WSS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I suggest going to a real theater with a real screen. Just saying.

WSS

probably, but I'm really nostalgic about the drive-ins. The one in Strasburg is one of the oldest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

probably, but I'm really nostalgic about the drive-ins. The one in Strasburg is one of the oldest.

And people I know who have found the IMAX version say it is unbelievable.

I may have to make a trip into my least favorite place to go.....................Asstin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I talked to my pilot friend some more today and found out the reason he was asked to be an instructor. They take just the top few percentage of any one airplane to send them through that school at Nellis. He ended up being the top of his class in that school. So I asked him what he did to score that well. He and his wingman were attacked by 4 "Migs" who immediately shot down his wingman who then had to vacate the course. He was able to shoot down all 4 of the Migs using multiple weapons systems with multiple maneuvers to get into the proper position to get each one in turn without any of them being able to lock on to him because of the unique ways he use to shake each one. They offered him the job on the spot because no pilot had ever been able to accomplish that in any of their classes put through the schools. He was the real life "Maverick" you see in the movie when he was a young man. He first instructed in F-4s and then he and another instructor developed the course for the F-16 and ran that for a few years too.

He said he was glad he could take his wife to see the movie so she could see the kind of skill it took to be a fighter pilot, "And now maybe she won't give me so much shit about how I drive which is very tame in comparison (he has a Corvette).😱😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2022 at 8:13 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I give it an A+.

I checked it out with my racquetball partner who was an instructor at the USAF Weapons School (equivalent to Navy "Top Gun"}. He confirmed that it was a great movie to show exactly what it's like to be a fighter pilot and told me the canyon scenes are not fake at all. Those planes and pilots really do have training canyons that they run through. The one in the mountains in the end is located in Washington state (not giving away any movie ending other than location).

Anyway his take for all the flying scenes is also A+ with only a technical glitch or two. He loved the movie as well. 

I only had two things that I felt could not ever happen, but I will only talk about one for now and the other after others have had a chance to see the movie. The first is that no one will still be in the service if they are still a Capt. after 30 years. That comes out right at the beginning of the movie so no spoiler there. Captains get rifted if they don't make major well before year 20. They don't even qualify for retirement unless they spent many years enlisted and later in their career became an officer. It is relatively rare that that happens, but it does happen in the Army anyway. I don't know about the AF.

I didn't see the movie.  Was the Captain a Navy Captain?  If so you realize that is an 06 equivalent to a Col in the other services.

 

e67c0e79c58e0160e6c2247aa499fe77.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I finally figured that out, so Duh!🤔 But the other glitch at the beginning of the movie will hold. I checked with my pilot friend who shared the same opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

back in the day.... I was an E4 - senior airman. I was often given E-5, staff sergeant, but I kept turning it down. lol

there was no increase in pay then, but more responsibility. It was a nobrainer, my plan was to go to college after 4 years. The commander called me into the office one day, and was laughing about my turning it down. Nice to see it has a slight increase in pay now..... My ego didn't need another stripe.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

back in the day.... I was an E4 - senior airman. I was often given E-5, staff sergeant, but I kept turning it down. lol

there was no increase in pay then, but more responsibility. It was a nobrainer, my plan was to go to college after 4 years. The commander called me into the office one day, and was laughing about my turning it down. Nice to see it has a slight increase in pay now..... My ego didn't need another stripe.....

There has always been an increase in pay from E4 to E5 Cal,  Don't know what you mean by that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

There has always been an increase in pay from E4 to E5 Cal,  Don't know what you mean by that.

I agree with DH cal. You screwed yourself. I don't know which year you were referring to, but here is the pay scale from 1975.

https://www.dfas.mil/Portals/98/MilPayTable1975.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

There has always been an increase in pay from E4 to E5 Cal,  Don't know what you mean by that.

I enlisted in 73',  I didn't want the staff sgt anyways. But that is what I was told - not much change in pay, but I would start climbing towards "technical sgt". Just didn't care. Maybe it was "not much difference in pay" ... but yeah, I noted the difference in pay in the link I didn't post: Like I've said in the past - I had an open door into OSI, but explained to the commander I was so honored, but I figured my knee would never make it through the training. And, I didn't want to go around the world - I was goin to college. Didn't care to climb the ranks anyways, I was going back to civilian life. Never was interested in going overseas. I had a lot going on here. I was taking genetics and biology at the local state university, to go back into secondary education maybe.

https://www.federalpay.org/military/air-force/ranks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...