THE BROWNS BOARD

Kareem Hunt looking for extension with the BROWNS.    NBC Sports PFT.

mjp28

This might work out well for both parties.  :)

Kareem Hunt looking for extension with the BROWNS.    NBC Sports PFT
Posted by Josh Alper on June 17, 2022, 6:18 PM EDT

Running back Kareem Hunt is heading into the final year of his contract with the Browns and he’s hoping it won’t be his last deal with the team.

Hunt said that his agent has spoken to the team “a little bit” about an extension that would keep him from hitting the open market in 2023  and is “going to see what they want to do with me.” He has a base salary of $ 1.35 million this year.

“I really don’t know what to think right now,’’ Hunt said, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I’m just trying to go out there and show them I’m healthy, show them I’m ready to ball out for them as long as they want me to, so I’d love to here for a long time. . . . I was born and raised here. I’d love to finish my career here and just keep playing the game with [Nick] Chubb longer and with the great guys on this great team.”

Hunt joined the Browns after serving a suspension in 2019 and played every game in 2020, but only played eight games last year because of calf and ankle injuries. He has 319 carries for 1,406 yards and 13 touchdowns to go with 97 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns in Cleveland.

★  Chubb is signed through 2024  and the Browns drafted Jerome Ford in the fifth round this year to go with D'Ernest Johnson as further options out of the backfield.   

Not bad !     🏈

I think Kareem's a really good football player.   I'd rather have him here than D'Earnest Johnson or Henry Ford.  But I'm not Andrew Berry...and Andrew Berry drafted Ford for a reason.  I'd prefer to be wrong, but I don't think that Hunt is in their plans.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

I think Kareem's a really good football player.   I'd rather have him here than D'Earnest Johnson or Henry Ford.  But I'm not Andrew Berry...and Andrew Berry drafted Ford for a reason.  I'd prefer to be wrong, but I don't think that Hunt is in their plans.

I think Hunt is a very versatile player and we're back to the only one  🏈  on the field issues.  -but-   with the quarterback issues right now that might come in handy.

Maybe I'm just greedy and want to keep them all but we'll have to wait and see how things work out including injuries.   

Almost a welcome relief having that phase looking secure. 

GO BROWNS,  just run the d*mn ball !

10 minutes ago, Orion said:

Eventually some good players are going to have to be cut or let go in free agency. They can't pay everyone. 

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

I think Hunt is a very versatile player and we're back to the only one  🏈  on the field issues.  -but-   with the quarterback issues right now that might come in handy.

Maybe I'm just greedy and want to keep them all but we'll have to wait and see how things work out including injuries.    That means that I'm greedy too.  :)

Almost a welcome relief having that phase looking secure. 

GO BROWNS,  just run the d*mn ball !  But therein lies the problem.  Ya can't just run the ball.  You've got to be able to be balanced at the minimum.  However, you CAN get by without being a good running team...but you'd have to be quite proficient at passing

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Eventually some good players are going to have to be cut or let go in free agency. They can't pay everyone. 

So then they drafted Ford so they could cut Hunt to save some money.  But how much are they going to save?  He'd only be paid 1.35 mil base this year (as posted above).  In my mind, they could've done that NEXT year.   

Just now, Orion said:

So then they drafted Ford so they could cut Hunt to save some money.  But how much are they going to save?  He'd only be paid 1.35 mil base this year (as posted above).  In my mind, they could've done that NEXT year.   

I was thinking more along the lines of the Browns could allow Hunt to leave after this season. 

1 hour ago, Orion said:

You would hope that the BROWNS FO and masterminds would have a secret chart with all of their plans locked up some safe place  like the janitors closet.  

They have to have a plan for drafts, FAs, UFAs, private agreements with other players and owners just like every other professional sports team.

Geeezzz look how detailed some fans get with our BROWNS rosters and God forbid our fantasy leagues. 

But then again we get handed some BIG surprises like having 5 quarterbacks on our pre-preseason roster.  Go figure.     :blink:

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Done what next year...draft a back?  I don't agree.  Berry has a history of drafting for needs a year early when give a good value chance to do that.  Now we have the option of extending Hunt or trading/walking away from Johnson.  Extending Hunt also increases his trade value if we elected to go with DJ.  I guess any extension would depend on what kind of money we are talking about, as it always does. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You would hope that the BROWNS FO and masterminds would have a secret chart with all of their plans locked up some safe place  like the janitors closet.  

They have to have a plan for drafts, FAs, UFAs, private agreements with other players and owners just like every other professional sports team.

Geeezzz look how detailed some fans get with our BROWNS rosters and God forbid our fantasy leagues. 

But then again we get handed some BIG surprises like having 5 quarterbacks on our pre-preseason roster.  Go figure.     :blink:

You know they have spread sheet after spread sheet graphing player contracts, ages, contract status by positions.  I think as it stands both Hunt and Chubb as scheduled to go next year....thus we drafted Ford.  We only extended DJ through this season, so now Hunt might be the guy we extend a couple of years to give us 3 back depth going in to next season.  Maybe we tried to do that with DJ but couldn't get a deal in place, so we exercised his option.  This is the redshirt year for Ford so to speak.  he gets to learn and get some limited game reps to give him a feel for NFL game speed before we will really count on him starting next year..

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hunt said that his agent has spoken to the team “a little bit” about an extension that would keep him from hitting the open market in 2023  and is “going to see what they want to do with me.” He has a base salary of $ 1.35 million this year.

• 1.35M    Base    PLUS +
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1.5M
  • 2022 **Per Game Active Bonus***=: $200,000/game ($3.4 million)***👀

Contract looks more like? K.Hunt missed 9 games last season due to injury... and A.Berry might need to see Hunt, at least get past training camp & a pre-season schedule.. 🤔

Hunt is age 24 & ranks #17 overall in RB pay... I'm thinking he/agent wants the worth of at least #13 overall of same aged Nyhiem Hines as Colts RB2 getting 6.2M..

If Hunt's happy staying home, while not seeing future feature RB money? his deal now, is only short a few hundred thousand dollars from being the top RB2, in the RB2 market..

The #1 paid RB2..N. Hines becomes a FA in 2025.. Hunt's agent is doing the right thing now for his client.. but A.Berry has left himself some serious contract leverage if Hunt misses games again in 2022.. 

I'm in the Boat titled.. Wait & Sea...

28 minutes ago, gumby73 said:
  • 1.35M    Base    PLUS +
  • 2022 Roster Bonus: $1.5M
  • 2022 **Per Game Active Bonus***=: $200,000/game ($3.4 million)***👀

Contract looks more like? K.Hunt missed 9 games last season due to injury... (★ probably true !).....and A.Berry might need to see Hunt, at least get past training camp & a pre-season schedule.( ★ so true, you'd want Hunt near 100% before signing regardless of him wanting to retiring as a BROWN *and collecting a cool $1 M+/yr doing it.......just the business of sports)......🤔

Hunt is age 24 & ranks #17 overall in RB pay... I'm thinking he/agent wants the worth of at least #13 overall of same aged Nyhiem Hines as Colts RB2 getting 6.2M..

If Hunt's happy staying home, while not seeing future feature RB money? his deal now, is only short a few hundred thousand dollars from being the top RB2, in the RB2 market..

The #1 paid RB2..N. Hines becomes a FA in 2025.. Hunt's agent is doing the right thing now for his client.. but A.Berry has left himself some serious contract leverage if Hunt misses games again in 2022.. 

I'm in the Boat titled.. Wait & Sea...

★ So nice to go into retirement collecting a cool $1+ M/yr doing it.

I'd bet Hunt would take $1,000,000 a year to play football even dinged up a bit to play for his BROWNS  ....... wouldn't you ?    :D.   (hell yeah !)

From June 17, 2022 5 pm..... More rumors coming true ?  Heavy.com.

There Cleveland Browns have a crowded backfield but a new proposed trade would thin out their depth by shipping out Kareem Hunt while getting a key piece in return.

The deal proposed by Bleacher Report would see Hunt land with the Philadelphia Eagles for offensive tackle Andre Dillard and a 2023 sixth-round pick. Here’s what Bleacher Report’s Ian Wharton said about the deal:

Hunt is an excellent rusher and receiver who is capable of attaining an elite stat line. He’s so comfortable as a receiver that it’s surprising the Browns didn’t use him in the slot more often when their receiving room was decimated. We’d love to see Hunt in a bigger role.

The Eagles are the premier landing spot for Hunt. Though he’d split time with starter Miles Sanders, Hunt would enter an offense that is run-heavy and creative enough to utilize him in various roles. Hunt’s power would complement Sanders’ slashing style well, and he could be another receiving threat for Jalen Hurts.

Browns RB D’Ernest Johnson Opened Door for Deal

Hunt dealt with both calf and ankle injuries last year, forcing him to miss nine games. But the former NFL rushing leader has huge upside when healthy, with more than 5,150 yards from scrimmage and 44 touchdowns to his name over a five-year NFL career.  

Hunt comes with a $6.25 million cap hit this season and the Browns would suffer no dead cap money if they parted ways with him. While talented, Hunt is in the final year of his deal and may not be someone Cleveland can keep around next season when cap space will be harder to come by.

There’s also the fact that the Browns have the depth to deal with Hunt not being on the roster thanks to D’Ernest Johnson returning.

Johnson had refused to sign his unrestricted free agent tender with the Browns but ended up agreeing to a deal worth the same value of $2.43 million, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. However, the difference is his guaranteed money, which comes in at $900,000.Johnson capitalized on his opportunities when his number was called upon last season, notching 534 yards on 100 carries with three touchdowns. He also collected 19 receptions for 137 yards.

Browns Still Hoping OT Jack Conklin Good for Training Camp

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I like Kareem Hunt. I hope he gets an extension. I just need to find a handful of players to root for keep my mind off shitbag Watson.

WSS 

You like Kareem Hunt, the guy who the only reason the Browns had an opportunity to sign was because he dropkicked a woman in a hotel hallway. A guy who did that keeps your mind off "shitbag Watson"... 

That's Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

You like Kareem Hunt, the guy who the only reason the Browns had an opportunity to sign was because he dropkicked a woman in a hotel hallway. A guy who did that keeps your mind off "shitbag Watson"... 

That's Interesting. 

I'm honored to hold your interest for short period of time. 

And since you guys like to bring up the no grand jury indictment what was Hunt charged with? And why not? And he's from here. And he seemed sincere with his apology. And he got booted from his team and got a lot worse punishment than your buddy Watson.

WSS

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I'm honored to hold your interest for short period of time. 

And since you guys like to bring up the no grand jury indictment what was Hunt charged with? And why not? And he's from here. And he seemed sincere with his apology. And he got booted from his team and got a lot worse punishment than your buddy Watson.

WSS

Well look at the bright side of this bad man's actions......KC drop kicked Hunt out of Kansas City......the BROWNS  jumped on the opportunity to get a star RB at a bargain price and knowing Hunt wanted to play for his hometown team.  A win/win for the Browns    -if-   you're willing to ignore the bashing a woman thing.

Maybe look at it as believing in second chances  (at a bargain price).  Eh ?         :)  :(

Hunt arrived suspended in 2019, playing only 8 games.. Than watched his former team win a Super Bowl in 2020...  enough said.. he's paid his dues  

On 6/20/2022 at 11:47 PM, mjp28 said:

From June 17, 2022 5 pm..... More rumors coming true ?  Heavy.com.

There Cleveland Browns have a crowded backfield but a new proposed trade would thin out their depth by shipping out Kareem Hunt while getting a key piece in return.

The deal proposed by Bleacher Report would see Hunt land with the Philadelphia Eagles for offensive tackle Andre Dillard and a 2023 sixth-round pick. Here’s what Bleacher Report’s Ian Wharton said about the deal:

Hunt is an excellent rusher and receiver who is capable of attaining an elite stat line. He’s so comfortable as a receiver that it’s surprising the Browns didn’t use him in the slot more often when their receiving room was decimated. We’d love to see Hunt in a bigger role.

The Eagles are the premier landing spot for Hunt. Though he’d split time with starter Miles Sanders, Hunt would enter an offense that is run-heavy and creative enough to utilize him in various roles. Hunt’s power would complement Sanders’ slashing style well, and he could be another receiving threat for Jalen Hurts.

Browns RB D’Ernest Johnson Opened Door for Deal

Hunt dealt with both calf and ankle injuries last year, forcing him to miss nine games. But the former NFL rushing leader has huge upside when healthy, with more than 5,150 yards from scrimmage and 44 touchdowns to his name over a five-year NFL career.  

Hunt comes with a $6.25 million cap hit this season and the Browns would suffer no dead cap money if they parted ways with him. While talented, Hunt is in the final year of his deal and may not be someone Cleveland can keep around next season when cap space will be harder to come by.

There’s also the fact that the Browns have the depth to deal with Hunt not being on the roster thanks to D’Ernest Johnson returning.

Johnson had refused to sign his unrestricted free agent tender with the Browns but ended up agreeing to a deal worth the same value of $2.43 million, per ESPN’s Adam Schefter. However, the difference is his guaranteed money, which comes in at $900,000.Johnson capitalized on his opportunities when his number was called upon last season, notching 534 yards on 100 carries with three touchdowns. He also collected 19 receptions for 137 yards.

Browns Still Hoping OT Jack Conklin Good for Training Camp

Would love this trade. Chubb is our clear No 1. Johnson and Ford can duke it out for 2 and 3. Shipping hunt for OL depth and draft capital is great value. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:46 PM, Westside Steve said:

I like Kareem Hunt. I hope he gets an extension. I just need to find a handful of players to root for keep my mind off shitbag Watson.

WSS 

Very strange example to use.  

But we’ve seen OJ and Pudding Pop comparisons to Watson here in the past few weeks from this board so par for the course. 

Back on topic…Hunt is one of my favorite football players on our team.  He plays the game like a throwback and Carries the ball like he wants to hurt 11 guys on the other side.  I sure hope we don’t trade him because there are many times over the past two years where Hunt was the hot hand and we had a guy named Nick Chubb on the roster too. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Very strange example to use.  

But we’ve seen OJ and Pudding Pop comparisons to Watson here in the past few weeks from this board so par for the course. 

Back on topic…Hunt is one of my favorite football players on our team.  He plays the game like a throwback and Carries the ball like he wants to hurt 11 guys on the other side.  I sure hope we don’t trade him because there are many times over the past two years where Hunt was the hot hand and we had a guy named Nick Chubb on the roster too. <--- the 1-2 punch !

Who doesn't like the best 1-2 RB punch in the NFL ?  This is the best case for keeping Hunt.  Plus I believe by running the bulldozer Chubb then later inserting a fresh Hunt and back has to wear the defenses out.

The BROWNS brain trust must really like something about the current undercads to even think about breaking that up.  

It's always nice to have options.    :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

and Carries the ball like he wants to hurt 11 guys on the other side

:)  I like to say, He runs like his hair is on fire.  

• Like 1