THE BROWNS BOARD

Haslams Eyeing New Domed Stadium for Browns

Dutch Oven

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Are you trying to say you're now an oldster, who doesn't like to get cold and\ or wet at a game

Absolutely.  Remember, it's sports entertainment....that's what the NFL is.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

if you like that sort of ambiance, you may as well stay home and watch the game on TV,

It's ALWAYS better to watch it on TV.  Indoors, outdoors, you name it.  Now, if you wanna watch 'off the ball' stuff, like receivers running routes, DB's doing their thing, then you can watch that indoors or outdoors.

• Haha 1

Honestly, I used to be in the "you need to deal with the weather! that's REAL football crowd!"

That's old thinking now though. We need to get with times and have a stadium that's usable year round and for multiple events. And one that promotes more attendance in the colder months

I know it is "soft". I know it's "not Cleveland". But it makes economic sense 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

Honestly, I used to be in the "you need to deal with the weather! that's REAL football crowd!"

That's old thinking now though. We need to get with times and have a stadium that's usable year round and for multiple events. And one that promotes more attendance in the colder months

I know it is "soft". I know it's "not Cleveland". But it makes economic sense 

Sadly, yes.

I love bad weather football gamea. Snow, mud, bring it on. 

But economically, it makes zero sense to build a stadium that sits vacant 90% of the time, especially with tax payer money. Economically it also makes zero sense to sink a ton of money into refurbishing First Energy instead of sinking a ton of money into a stadium that can make a lot more money. 

• Like 1

Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Why would you build a dome? I get the appeal for obvious reasons but isn’t Cleveland/steeler football kind of rooted in those shit weather games? I feel like it leaves behind a identity. 

I totally concur... It takes an exciting element away from the game... The game is essentially being catered to bunch of woke sissies... And Goodeel is the biggest sissy cheerleader of them all.. I agree with Jon Gruden when he says Goodell is pussifying the league...

2 hours ago, nickers said:

I totally concur... It takes an exciting element away from the game... The game is essentially being catered to bunch of woke sissies... And Goodeel is the biggest sissy cheerleader of them all.. I agree with Jon Gruden when he says Goodell is pussifying the league...

Oh Jesus here we go...

This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

So much for  "the good ol' days"  having a northern climate single use open stadium just doesn't make good business "dollars & cents ".  

And now just putting lipstick on that old pig the current CBS mediocre mess is a bad idea and get stuck with it for decades into the future is just a bad sports and business decision. 

We put up with that lovable but totally outdated two sport Municipal Stadium for my whole lifetime plus several decades and did what.......hurriedly built another open stadium right on Lake Erie.  Bad decision. 

I can't wait to see what happens next.     :huh:

YA5LNXJK5NHJ3EJZSYQURYT46A.jpg

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh Jesus here we go...

This isn't "woke" anything. It just makes business sense. Stop shoving your idiotic ideas where they don't belong. 

Stop commenting on things you know nothing about... Commie!

2 minutes ago, nickers said:

Stop commenting on things you know nothing about... Commie!

This guy played Little League Football in Willoughby or somewhere.

He's obviously not a pussy. Total badass there. 

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Because the last thing a midwestern Rust Belt city needs to do is spend a ton of money on a building that can barely be used to make money.

I love outdoor football. The nasty the weather, the better. Fiscally, it makes no sense, though. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I'll agree... Green Bay that has way worse weather prospects than Cleveland December on, doesn't have a dome on the horizon...   None of the other AFC North teams have domes... Said it before, if you can afford tickets to an NFL game, you can afford to go to REI and spend $200+ bucks on a cold weather parka, and some Sorel boots.  I can tell you from a SW Ohio perspective, Da Bungles will never have a domed stadium in my lifetime- I damn guarantee it.  Not with Mike Brown not being able to spring for an indoor practice facility. And if he asked for a dome, Hamilton County would tell him to go pound salt. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Oh Jesus here we go...

It may not make business sense Woodster, but it does make a lot of aesthetic sense. The majority of NFL venues- including at least a dozen with cold weather prospects agree.  

The fan base that goes to games has changed- and not for the better. To give away my age, I probably saw my first Browns game "live" circa 1960. Shit, it was like being at a high school game. Screaming yelling, guys in their 70s jumping up and down.  No longer. Blame NFL greed in part for that. Gramps got courtesy tickets two rows behind the Indians dugout that were listed at $4 bucks. I'll let you pull out the inflation calculator what that is in 2022 dollars, but I'll bet it sure as shit isn't anywhere close. 

Ah give me those good old days when if you were 1\2 discreet, you could haul any type of adult beverage you wanted to into the stadium... Fifths? No prob. 2 liter 7Ups that were 1\2 seven and 1\2 vodka.  The famous Dawg Pound Dawg House that contained a keg.  All in the name of "security" or forcing you to buy a $12 buck Great Lakes once you get inside. Not Rocket Science why tailgating has become a tradition.  

I'm in Section 111... almost like being at the opera now.   DOWN IN FRONT!!!!  I'd rather check my Fantasy stats on my phone than watch the game....  :(  I get seriously pissed- and this isn't isolated to Cleveland....  When it comes over the PA Bullhorn...  IT'S THIRD DOWN!!!!  You think I don't know that? Apparently a lot of the younger generation who are too busy playing phone tag texting et al- apparently does need to be "woke" Woody.   My 0.02   

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I hate Jimmy Haslam but I think it would probably be good for the city of Cleveland to have a dome somewhere and do some other kind of development on the lakefront.

On the other hand I hate turf but I hate Frozen Dirt too.

WSS

Eliminates our wind problems for our elusive kicker anyway. Maybe now we can actually find one with accuracy.🌬️🏈😱👏

On 6/18/2022 at 10:25 PM, Orion said:

I'm thinking that they're just gonna keep moving this thread on ya.  :)  

So, as I said in the 'other' thread, that got moved to the New Stadium abyss;  Having a dome could help to keep Watson for longer since he hates cold weather.  (that's like a half-joke)

And a 23 year old stadium is decrepit and needs to be replaced?  Really?  What lousy builders.  The ancient Romans are laughing it up in heaven. 

Well, the Romans also used slaves and built things over decades.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

We have septic systems in my town.  I use the line, "I can't wait until we catch up to the ancient Romans and get sewers."  :)

On 6/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Because the last thing a midwestern Rust Belt city needs to do is spend a ton of money on a building that can barely be used to make money.

I love outdoor football. The nasty the weather, the better. Fiscally, it makes no sense, though. 

Yea I agree. However Heinz gets used for plenty, weather permitting. I can’t imagine the Steelers ever playing in a dome and frankly the same goes for the browns. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:57 PM, nickers said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with being or not being woke. I agree goodell seriously sucks but don’t think gruden should be saying much of anything. Either way a dome in Cleveland goes against team culture. Pittsburgh runs a lot out of PPG when the weather sucks, the Q if it’s still the Q serves that purpose. Haslam is a dumbass for pushing a dome. Hell maybe he thinks he has enough bad pr with watson he might as well rip the bandaid off and mention a dome. 

• Upvote 2

It would be seriously weird to go to a steeler home game in a damn dome. I’d hate it and it’s not like I love being cold in November/December. However all of that is PART of the Steelers. The wind out of the open end is part of playing at Heinz etc. I also hated playing on turf, it seems nice at first but it’s easy to get hurt and at the nfl level it’s even more likely. Fuck domes and fuck turf and fuck the browns playing in a dome. Lol

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Yeah, guess who does the heavy lifting and digging. 

I actually remember as a kid when we had ditch diggers in this country.....until  machines could do it better,  faster so good bye ditch diggers.  

13 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I still think it foolish to build a open air stadium you can't use half the year.

This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

3 hours ago, nickers said:

This is why we have places like Public Hall and Music Hall that aren't even being utilized for indoor/winter time events... A city treasure basically forgotten which I find really disappointing.. Fuck Jimmy and his money grubbing ideas...I wish he would pack up this fraud of a team and move it to Memphis...

I think you are in the minority on that one.

I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people.

For me, I don't really give a darn when it comes right down to it.

First, I don't live in the area any more so other than Browns games, I wouldn't be going.

Second,  I am old enough i won't be going to games for that much longer.

Third, I upgraded to club seats about 8 years ago so if it is cold, i have a warm place to go before the game and at halftime...and hell, if it is cold enough i can just stay inside and watch on TV.  I haven't done that yet, but I can if I wish.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I think you are in the minority on that one.

I am all for using the other facilities.  The problem is for some events they aren't big enough.  Some events need a large field or are really expecting to draw 30,000 plus people......right offhand I could come up dozen or two good offseason and away game uses for a domed stadium 12 MONTHS a year.

Remember too there are only  1 or 2 preseason and 8 or 9 home football games,  the rest of the time the stadium is mostly empty......especially all winter. 

Why build a venue for 9 to 12 primary uses.

Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes.   This is about wise urban planning and to offer an exciting football experience.  Concerts, conventions,  moto racing, rodeos, monster truck shows on and on the uses are endless  IF you have the facilities available. 

I could go for a retractable roof option for the new Cleveland BROWNS Stadium  just don't blow it again.  

A beautiful fall day roof open, 20 degrees and blowing snow roof closed.....can't be simpler than that.   :)

One could even say you might only open the roof 2-3 games a year, so is the added cost over a fixed dome necessary?  Those home openers are usually hot as heck.  I'd want the roof closed for those.  In the south, domes are built to keep heat out as much or more over keeping rain or cold out.

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

One could even say you might only open the roof 2-3 games a year, so is the added cost over a fixed dome necessary?  Those home openers are usually hot as heck.  I'd want the roof closed for those.  In the south, domes are built to keep heat out as much or more over keeping rain or cold out.

I agree, honestly I think the increased price for a retractable dome for a handful of days a year isn't worth it. 

I mean, if it was up to me, I'd build a retractable dome that could never be closed during Browns games, but there isn't a chance in hell the NFL would let that happen. 

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Recently the weather hasn't been that bad for BROWNS games  I bet it would be open at least half of the home games.   But why guess let's go to NFLWeather.com.

Hmmmm, not too bad.......edit add, they could have used a retractable roof (open/closed option) in almost every home game warm or lousy.  The last few were cut off but cold and miserable.  But remember that the roof comes in for all venues 12 months a year,  that's how you justify it not just home football games. 

Screenshot_2022-06-24_213026.jpg

OK the rest of the 2021 Cleveland BROWNS football schedule......so much for the bitter cold snowy lake Erie winters, global warming is here !  🌝

Screenshot_2022-06-24_214311.jpg