THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

what would a team give up for him  if anything ? to take on his 18 million that is fully guaranteed (yes i know that is cheap if a team plans on starting him) so a trade would be perfect for us as there would not be any dead money

options are we could pay him a lump sum signing bonus to lower the cap hit or go the Brock Osweiller route and kick in a draft pick just to get his money off the books

I've needed some clarity all week 🤓

How does a trade for Mayfield work for the Browns’ salary cap?

As it stands right now, a trade would be almost perfect for Cleveland. There would be no dead money, and they would not owe Mayfield another penny on his contract. The problem is that shifting over $18 million in salary could affect the price teams are willing to pay. However, if they

1.) can find a team looking for a QB, the equation shifts back to the Browns. As a salary dump, $18 million is a lot. However, that is an incredible value for a starting QB, even if just for one year.

2.) The Browns could potentially sweeten the deal. They could pay Mayfield a lump sum as a signing bonus prior to the trade. That would reduce the cap number being taken on by the team trading for Mayfield, potentially increasing the price they are willing to pay. However, the acquiring team could plan to sign Mayfield to an immediate extension or restructure the deal to add void years, essentially doing the same thing.

3.) Brock Osweiller route and kick in a draft pick just to get his money off the books

Someone will need a stop gap QB. Carson Wentz was essentially traded for Washington's 2022 and 2023 3rd rounders (2023 escalates to a 2nd rounder if Wentz plays 70%+ snaps). 

I'd like to think we could get close to what the Colts got for Wentz. I think the Browns ask for a second rounder plus a mid rounder for Baker. It ultimately depends on how many teams are interested to drive up the price. I know Seattle has already inquired and I'm sure a few others will be calling. Baker may have devalued his trade value with his childish behavior this week, but we should be able to get some picks for him.

There are no QBs in this draft that are worthy enough to start day 1.   Baker will have a market and his deal is up after 2022 so there is no significant financial investment beyond this coming season.

It is not what else do we have to give…it is what team(s) want him and what are they giving us. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Don't the Colts usually come to our rescue in these types of situations....

That is still one of the greatest dupes in sports history.  

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Browns traded a QB…

Keenum to the Bills for a 7th round pick 

Well...that shoots a hole in my theory of 'Keep Keenum to start until Watson is allowed to play'.    I am just not in phase with the current Browns going-ons apparently.....

9 hours ago, Orion said:

Don't the Colts usually come to our rescue in these types of situations....

Except they just got burned by giving up  a first for a guy (Wentz) that they just dumped. 

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Well...that shoots a hole in my theory of 'Keep Keenum to start until Watson is allowed to play'.    I am just not in phase with the current Browns going-ons apparently.....

Nah, we now have Jacoby BBQ Brisket as Watson's backup. Count me as not impressed.  Though we are trying to  get Landry and Clowney back at a cap friendly price. Stay tuned. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Except they just got burned by giving up  a first for a guy (Wentz) that they just dumped. 

Nah, we now have Jacoby BBQ Brisket as Watson's backup. Count me as not impressed.  Though we are trying to  get Landry and Clowney back at a cap friendly price. Stay tuned. 

I'm not too down on Brissett...  Just think they couldve saved even more by going with Mariota.

What's the difference? No way the Browns will keep him so why would another team give up assets? Except maybe to keep the salary in place for the season. Also the Browns don't want a competent or popular backup in case Watson is suspended or hurt or just sucks. They would really be a laughingstock with a quarterback controversy after everything they threw away to get the guy.

WSS

8 hours ago, Orion said:

Keenum was too expensive. And Brissett is probably a better option too. 

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

What's the difference? No way the Browns will keep him so why would another team give up assets? Except maybe to keep the salary in place for the season. Also the Browns don't want a competent or popular backup in case Watson is suspended or hurt or just sucks. They would really be a laughingstock with a quarterback controversy after everything they threw away to get the guy.

WSS

There are a number of teams still with QB needs and the options left are Winston, Mariota, Baker and a bad QB draft class.  For teams like Seattle, Indy and NO…they have pretty decent rosters and should compete with competent QB play.  

Baker could be seen as a bridge or he may even be seen as a potential long term starter under a prove it deal.  He’s got more incentive than ever to show what he has…teams understand that. 

17 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Baker could be seen as a bridge or he may even be seen as a potential long term starter under a prove it deal.  He’s got more incentive than ever to show what he has…teams understand that. 

That's true. But I don't think incentive to do his best has ever been a problem. Just for my point of view I would like to see him with the Saints because they've had Drew Brees.

WSS

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

That's true. But I don't think incentive to do his best has ever been a problem. Just for my point of view I would like to see him with the Saints because they've had Drew Brees.

WSS

So now that you bring up the Saints…if the Colts rumor is true…you could have two teams after him.

Do you think one team may want him a little more and offer a little more? 

41 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

There are a number of teams still with QB needs and the options left are Winston, Mariota, Baker and a bad QB draft class.  For teams like Seattle, Indy and NO…they have pretty decent rosters and should compete with competent QB play.  

I don't know wtf Atlanta is doing with Matt Ryan? 🙃 He's better than all of them you listed. Atl. sure should not trade him to Nola.... Indy looks to be the better team/better coach/ w/Ryan and has the money to do a deal for Ryan..   I think the hold up with Baker to Colts or anywhere=== Matt Ryan... stay tuned 

29 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I don't know wtf Atlanta is doing with Matt Ryan? 🙃 He's better than all of them you listed. Atl. sure should not trade him to Nola.... Indy looks to be the better team/better coach/ w/Ryan and has the money to do a deal for Ryan..   I think the hold up with Baker to Colts or anywhere=== Matt Ryan... stay tuned 

Agree Ryan is better but That salary though.  

50 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

So now that you bring up the Saints…if the Colts rumor is true…you could have two teams after him.

Do you think one team may want him a little more and offer a little more? 

Could be. I hope so. Not only because it would be beneficial to the Browns to get something in return but it would be nice to know someone liked Baker will enough to spend some money on him and assets. NFL is pretty tight-lipped about what their plans are. I'm just speculating because the Saints are used to having a 6 ft tall quarterback. I don't think Russell Wilson is extremely tall eater.

WSS

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Could be. I hope so. Not only because it would be beneficial to the Browns to get something in return but it would be nice to know someone liked Baker will enough to spend some money on him and assets. NFL is pretty tight-lipped about what their plans are. I'm just speculating because the Saints are used to having a 6 ft tall quarterback. I don't think Russell Wilson is extremely tall eater.

WSS

The funny thing about some of Watson nut swingers, is they called Baker a midget. I don’t have heart to tell them DW is only an inch taller. 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

I would trade Baker to the Canadian Football League - he might be a top 10 QB there.

Throw in the keys to a stadium and he might just do it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Well, neither the Saints or the Colts have anyone on the roster resembling an NFL starting qb, so they may be interested in Baker on his one year $18 million prove it deal.  Seattle has Drew Lock and Geno Smith, so their interest may be low.  

Any other team that has an interest in Baker knows the Browns can't negotiate out of position of strength.  They can't keep Mayfield, and they can't take the cap hit by releasing him either.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Well, neither the Saints or the Colts have anyone on the roster resembling an NFL starting qb, so they may be interested in Baker on his one year $18 million prove it deal.  Seattle has Drew Lock and Geno Smith, so their interest may be low.  

Any other team that has an interest in Baker knows the Browns can't negotiate out of position of strength.  They can't keep Mayfield, and they can't take the cap hit by releasing him either.  

which is why i mentioned brock osweiller 

46 minutes ago, ATOM said:

which is why i mentioned brock osweiller 

I doubt the Browns would give up a pick just to clear Baker's salary off the books...  Mayfield still has some value as a starting QB... What other teams value that to be is still TBD.  :)  

Just now, hoorta said:

I doubt the Browns would give up a pick just to clear Baker's salary off the books...  Mayfield still has some value as a starting QB... What other teams value that to be is still TBD.  :)  

i hope you are right 

• Upvote 1