THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

26 minutes ago, darkside5 said:

The Browns just booked a seat on the Titanic

And then wait for the phone to ring with that big blockbuster deal for Mr Mayfield will all of those first round picks back,    right  ?      :huh:

Right now there is no trade market for Baker. Once the draft concludes that may pick up as some teams may not get "their guy" which they can hope for now.  After that it may have to go in to training camp.

Teams tend to devalue future picks, when trading for a player, so if some QB gets hurt we might get something like a 2nd rounder in 2023, but the reality tells me we are probably looking at a 4th rounder at best. A 5th rounder being more probable.

Unless someone gets hurt in camp, we really don't have any real leverage in this deal. Everything works against us in this deal.  Our best bet is working a trade for another player a team might be forced to cut.  Either a young guy they want to keep but don't really have the room, or a vet they like but some young guy is starting to show in camp. The saga of baker probably runs in to July or August. Heck, maybe even nearer the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

As of now there's  a speculation  he could  start during  Watson's  suspension. 

I doubt  that  is realistic.  If he's  successful he'll  have more  trade  value  BUT underscore the FOs bad decision.  

If he sucks they eat every  bite  of  the  19 million bucks.

I don't  trust  the Browns NOT to sabotage the process  but thats a lose lose proportion. 

(also is Stefanski's  play calling  no longer  an issue? Remember his success was during a play-action oriented offense which seems to have been abandoned this past season.)

WSS

seems they didn't care if they ended Baker's career or not - this whole thing - the fishin is great in the fall....was listening to sports radio and there are a LOT of folks disgusted and critical in a serious way. It won't end - like hitting a skunk on a highway, the stink still stays. But at least that goes away after a few weeks maybe. This stink will go down in history books as a new #1 stupidest mistakes in NFL trade history, I think.

https://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-worst-trades-in-nfl-history/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

(also is Stefanski's  play calling  no longer  an issue? Remember his success was during a play-action oriented offense which seems to have been abandoned this past season.)

WSS

Ball action attempts from 2020 compared to 2021.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

The "Stefanski play calling is the issue" crowd was drummed up by those looking for a quick and easy, even if inaccurate, type of explanation.     Which is why I don't really read Terry Pluto at this point. He jumped on that bandwagon the day after the Ravens game (I believe?) for one of his articles.  

When I went back and watched the whole of the all-22, Stefs issues were marginal at best.   So I get Mr. Pluto has deadlines to meet with his material; but that's the difference between a journalist or someone who "covers" the Browns - VS- someone such as myself.  In word an "analyst", I suppose.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Ball action attempts from 2020 compared to 2021.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/advanced.htm

The "Stefanski play calling is the issue" crowd was drummed up by those looking for a quick and easy, even if inaccurate, type of explanation.     Which is why I don't really read Terry Pluto at this point. He jumped on that bandwagon the day after the Ravens game (I believe?) for one of his articles.  

When I went back and watched the whole of the all-22, Stefs issues were marginal at best.   So I get Mr. Pluto has deadlines to meet with his material; but that's the difference between a journalist or someone who "covers" the Browns - VS- someone such as myself.  In word an "analyst", I suppose.

Could be. So I've heard it plenty of times before the most recent was a Sports Illustrated Ron table. If there's nothing wrong with Kevin stefanski play-calling or coaching then we are in great shape.

WSS

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

seems they didn't care if they ended Baker's career or not - this whole thing - the fishin is great in the fall....was listening to sports radio and there are a LOT of folks disgusted and critical in a serious way. It won't end - like hitting a skunk on a highway, the stink still stays. But at least that goes away after a few weeks maybe. This stink will go down in history books as a new #1 stupidest mistakes in NFL trade history, I think.

https://www.thesportster.com/football/top-15-worst-trades-in-nfl-history/

No one is debating that the Browns gave up a lot to get Watson. Probably too much. Don't forget there were other teams willing to match the Browns offer. More concerning to me is Deshawn wasn't interested in Cleveland until the the Browns waved $230 million bucks in his face. 

Regarding a dead skunk, that stink is probably going to linger for all of 2022. But if the Browns manage to win a Super Bowl,  Berry and Haslam are going to come out smelling like high end perfume- at least to some Browns fans.  :)

Regarding Baker, he might have ended his own career. "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play", I'll be the only one in that regard. When he was obviously hurt, and playing like garbage. Hmm, if he had taken the long view and taken himself out, instead of trying be a hero and play with one arm, just maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

13 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Regarding Baker, he might have ended his own career. "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play", I'll be the only one in that regard. When he was obviously hurt, and playing like garbage. Hmm, if he had taken the long view and taken himself out, instead of trying be a hero and play with one arm, just maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

Sorry the decision to play Mayfield falls on the shoulders of Stefanski.

Regarding Mayfield’s future, that fiasco falls on Berry, trying to play both sides of the road.

Kind of like getting caught in bed with the sister in law, now he’s going to have to “eat it” (no pun intended).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Sorry the decision to play Mayfield falls on the shoulders of Stefanski.

Regarding Mayfield’s future, that fiasco falls on Berry, trying to play both sides of the road.

Kind of like getting caught in bed with the sister in law, now he’s going to have to “eat it” (no pun intended).

Sorry, you really think Stef would have played Baker if he had told him "nope, I'm too hurt"? Of course, that wasn't going to happen. Baker would have tried to play on a broken leg. 

Yeah, the other side of the coin is the Browns were deliberately trotting out a wounded Mayfield because they had already determined even a healthy Baker wasn't going to be good enough.  

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

If there's nothing wrong with Kevin stefanski play-calling or coaching then we are in great shape.

WSS

There in lies the issue.  It isn't so much the "right or wrong" play calling.  Stef can incorporate new pieces, groupings and concepts to help improve and widen the effectiveness of this offense. Provided this group masters the more routine material, of course.    He still has room for improvement as a coach, every coach does.   Sometimes they'll have rough games even at their highest of levels - Bill Belicheck is no exception.   

Stefanski had some questionable moments during this past season, I won't argue that.   But one's that were squarely on Bakers shoulders are one's that are being laid at the feet of his coach, and that is where the problem lies.

On 3/19/2022 at 1:27 PM, gumby73 said:

How does a trade for Mayfield work for the Browns’ salary cap?

2.) The Browns could potentially sweeten the deal. They could pay Mayfield a lump sum as a signing bonus prior to the trade. That would reduce the cap number being taken on by the team trading for Mayfield, potentially increasing the price they are willing to pay. However, the acquiring team could plan to sign Mayfield to an immediate extension or restructure the deal to add void years, essentially doing the same thing.

I don't know....I keep coming back to this option and asking myself? Why was OBJ/ and his agent, business adult enough to hammer out... a get out of town deal? And Baker's agent just seems to not have a clue nor the class about this dirty business he signed up for ?  🤔 Do some teams still feel the QB trading market stopped at a undecided Jimmy G deal?

meanwhile, I thought the Haslam's handled the Baker questions great yesterday...I think they are willing to give Baker every option but Pittsburgh, to be at a teams training camp day 1..    

On 3/25/2022 at 4:17 PM, darkside5 said:

The Browns just booked a seat on the Titanic

I think I'll wear my browns sweat shirt inside out one of these days in protest....

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Man, I can only imagine what this place would've been like had it existed when 19 was told his skills had diminished. 

it was not good. It was the era of "diminished buttichek"

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

Man, I can only imagine what this place would've been like had it existed when 19 was told his skills had diminished. 

The thing is, Belichick was right.

Kosar had two prime, really good seasons. By the third AFC Championship vs Denver, he was already on the downslide.

Damn shame he got beat up so fast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

The USFL and XFL need QB's.  Let him work his way back to the show.  No more commercials.  Bakey Littlefield.

Bitching about commercials is one of the stupidest complaints any Browns fan has ever made. Anybody that knows his ass from a hole in the crowd knows how little time it takes to slap one of those together. Less time I would wager than coercing a massage therapist to suck your dick.

WSS

The pancake eating mother f***** of a GM from the Seahawks will give us 3 number 1 picks and a punt returner before draft day..... say it with me YOU WANT BAKER

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry, you really think Stef would have played Baker if he had told him "nope, I'm too hurt"? Of course, that wasn't going to happen. Baker would have tried to play on a broken leg.

If Kevin was any kind of a HC, it wouldn’t matter what a player said.

If the coach tells you to sit out a game(s) that’s the end of the story regardless of what a player says.

I can’t make it any simpler than that.

53 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Did it snow in Cleveland yesterday?  ❄️

Look who’s in Cleveland today, Mr. John Dorsey, says he has a meeting.

Calling it now #BAKERMAYFIELD to the Detroit Lions. #Browns #NFL #Lions #Trade #Breaking

FOzFTw1XIAoaQXt.jpg.7713031887478aecb8b835e7c6fbddca.jpg

Come on John.

You got the Browns into this mess with Baker, now get them out of it. 😉