THE BROWNS BOARD

Woody/Science

calfoxwc

science, science, science. Al gore used a piece of styrofoam to represent a glacier in his stupid fake movie that made him

a LOT of money from silly people. And, the famous "tree ring" fraud. And the UN blackballing any scientist who didn't conform to the "man made global warming crisis". etc etc etc. Because they got their GRANTS from the UN etc.

Here, we have a scientist who just posted a remote pic of the closest star to the sun.

cool stuff. Imagine if it had proven something about fake "mmgw" !

Except, this scientist later admitted it was a joke. The pic was actually a piece of sausage.

So, yes, scientists can joke around, and scientists can fabricate "evidence" to get their funding again.

but it feeds the elistist "vote for liberal/leftwing causes" hysteria just fine.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/scientist-admits-that-photo-he-tweeted-of-star-is-actually-a-slice-of-chorizo

Full of bologna: French scientist admits 'star' pic he tweeted was actually a slice of sausage

and....

As Tony Heller at the Real Climate Science web site notes, "Pre-2000 temperatures are progressively cooled, and post-2000 temperatures are warmed. This year has been a particularly spectacular ...

and....
Staff Writer April 17, 2018. Some time ago, I wrote a letter stating that over 30,000 scientists (by name) have said "catastrophic man-made global warming" is a complete hoax and science is a lie. I thought for sure that the Douglas County Global Warming Coalition would submit a rebuttal using the worn-out 'denier' word.

and....

The global-warming hypothesis, however, is no longer tenable. Scientists have been able to test it carefully, and it does not hold up. During the past 50 years, as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have risen, scientists have made precise measurements of atmospheric temperature. These measurements have definitively shown that major atmospheric

and....

The global-warming hypothesis, however, is no longer tenable. Scientists have been able to test it carefully, and it does not hold up. During the past 50 years, as atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have risen, scientists have made precise measurements of atmospheric temperature. These measurements have definitively shown that major atmospheric

On 8/6/2022 at 3:07 PM, nickers said:

The closest star to Earth is called "Bernard".. It's approximately 4 light years away...

Sorry Nickers... But it's not... And I knew that one without even having to think.  It's Proxima Centauri, a dwarf star that's loosely gravitationally bound to Alpha Centauri A&B...

"Proxima Centauri is a small, low-mass star located 4.2465 light-years away from the Sun in the southern constellation of Centaurus. Its Latin name means the 'nearest [star] of Centaurus'. It was discovered in 1915 by Robert Innes and is the nearest-known star to the Sun."  

BTW, it's Barnard's Star, not Bernard's.  Typo? Only 4th closest, after the Alpha Centauri triplet.  It does have the distinction of having the highest proper motion (that's the apparent motion) across the sky of any star. A little trivia- because of proper motion, the Big Dipper won't look anything like the Big Dipper in a few million years. 

And another fun trivia about the scale of our galaxy. If you shrunk it down to where the Earth was a microscopic dot orbiting one inch away from our microscopic Sun...  Alpha Centauri would be four miles away.  Beam me up Scottie.. :)  

On 8/6/2022 at 3:10 PM, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Actually the Sun would be the closest star.

Gee, no kidding?  :D  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Stars are bright

Cal is not

and woodpecker is as

dense as snot.

He FEELS the whole world

is burning hot,

but nonsense and fake news

is all he's got.

The end.https://coub-anubis-a.akamaized.net/coub_storage/coub/simple/cw_image/c99c949a923/123d895702c7ac8311158/1513270430_00029.jpg

16 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Nickers... But it's not... And I knew that one without even having to think.  It's Proxima Centauri, a dwarf star that's loosely gravitationally bound to Alpha Centauri A&B...

"Proxima Centauri is a small, low-mass star located 4.2465 light-years away from the Sun in the southern constellation of Centaurus. Its Latin name means the 'nearest [star] of Centaurus'. It was discovered in 1915 by Robert Innes and is the nearest-known star to the Sun."  

BTW, it's Barnard's Star, not Bernard's.  Typo? Only 4th closest, after the Alpha Centauri triplet.  It does have the distinction of having the highest proper motion (that's the apparent motion) across the sky of any star. A little trivia- because of proper motion, the Big Dipper won't look anything like the Big Dipper in a few million years. 

And another fun trivia about the scale of our galaxy. If you shrunk it down to where the Earth was a microscopic dot orbiting one inch away from our microscopic Sun...  Alpha Centauri would be four miles away.  Beam me up Scottie.. :)  

Gee, no kidding?  :D  

It was known as the Closest at one time... I guess that has changed... I had heard this when I was an 11-12 year old kid... Hubble Telescope was just an idea... ... The Viking Landers were on its way.. And I believer the Voyager probes were already launched.. And don't ever be sorry... There's no crime in being wrong lol.. Except a couple of posters we know here would beg to differ....  But at that time Star Wars was becoming popular... I was just becoming a real space junkie.. After In Search of with Leonard Nimoy... And Chariots of the Gods with Erik Von Daniken I was completely hooked on Space... And the idea that Aliens or Extra Terrestrials visited Earth.. While I know some scoff at the idea... I remain open to the possibility... And yeah I had heard of Proxima Centauri.. The thing I find more interesting are the number of planets that are being discovered... Most of them Jovian to this point sadly... Terran planets are harder to find... Even if we could find one like Earth in the Goldilocks Zone... Then go there (if we could) doesn't seem like a good idea... We would probably find a way to fuck it all up like we're doing here.. I think going to Mars right now is a terribly DUMB idea.. If we even do land a Human there... They aren't coming back... Id rather wait another 50 years and become more technically proficient. I don't think we could Kobyashi Maru our way from extinction...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and woodpecker is as

dense as snot.

He FEELS the whole world

is burning hot,

but nonsense and fake news

is all he's got.

The end.https://coub-anubis-a.akamaized.net/coub_storage/coub/simple/cw_image/c99c949a923/123d895702c7ac8311158/1513270430_00029.jpg

But then I'll bet you think trumpy was right about so many birds dying in the windmill generators. What a scientist! BTW would that include woodpeckers?

58 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But then I'll bet you think trumpy was right about so many birds dying in the windmill generators. What a scientist! BTW would that include woodpeckers?

The funniest thing is, people buying into thinking wind turbines will solve our energy problems. 🤡

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

How many birds die to windmills a year?

Adjusting for this industry growth, we can project that approximately 538,000 wind turbine-caused bird deaths occur in the U.S. each year.Jan 26, 2021

How Many Birds Are Killed by Wind Turbines? | ABC

Why do birds get killed by wind turbines?

Birds perceive areas traveled by spinning blades as open space, unaware that blade tips are moving at up to 180 mph. Many are focused on prey. These factors make wind turbines “ecological death traps,” wherever they are located.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

The funniest thing is, people buying into thinking wind turbines will solve our energy problems. 🤡

Currently our area uses only widnfarms and solar farms for electricity. We were one of the few areas in the state that did not have long term power outages during the great freeze of 2021.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

But they sure look beautiful!

They look like money to the farmers in the Panhandle who are having to sell their cattle now due to excess drought throughout the state and the consequent high cost of hay to feed them. Up above the cattle they are selling is the money they make for allowing windfarms all over their property. Driving through this summer I can see about 20-30 times as many as there were even 10 years ago. Having those windfarms means they also don't have to go bankrupt and sell long held inherited lands.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Currently our area uses only widnfarms and solar farms for electricity. We were one of the few areas in the state that did not have long term power outages during the great freeze of 2021.

Wind turbines aren’t too bad in the wide open fields of Texas, but not very practical let’s say in a high demand locale such as NYC.

And they are ugly.

The company I recently retired from installed one in June of 2011.

7A59AC0A-2F95-4EE5-8DA2-47CD0A47A6ED.jpeg

178DBE04-2C06-4B9D-AB17-497B00CBC30C.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vambo said:
How many birds die to windmills a year?

Adjusting for this industry growth, we can project that approximately 538,000 wind turbine-caused bird deaths occur in the U.S. each year.Jan 26, 2021

How Many Birds Are Killed by Wind Turbines? | ABC

Why do birds get killed by wind turbines?

Birds perceive areas traveled by spinning blades as open space, unaware that blade tips are moving at up to 180 mph. Many are focused on prey. These factors make wind turbines “ecological death traps,” wherever they are located.

They don't call them "bird brains" for nothing Vambo.  :)  I do know eagles (and probably other raptors) only look down while they're flying. the hospital I used to work at had highly reflective gold tone glass windows.  Occasionally we'd hear a whump when a bird flew into the glass- thought it was flying west into the sunset, but actually flew east right into our building... 

But I digress... Suddenly all broken hearted about bird kill, well ahem, about a million birds croaked, not counting a probable equal number of fish when Deepwater Horizon spilled around 200 million gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico, or a slightly smaller spill way back Exxon Valdez up Alaska way... Why I'm glad Keystone XL got shut down, an environmental disaster waiting to happen. That crap tar sand wasn't going to help America one bit. If Canada wants to market it, they can damn well refine it north of the border. 

The supply of oil in the ground isn't infinite guy, and when it's gone, it's gone. Look where the majority of drilling outside of the Middle East is... Two mile deep oceans, -40 degree weather on the North Slope. Buy a clue. Global warming aside, doesn't hurt to be a little proactive.. Instead of waiting until gas hits $10 bucks a gallon because there ain't no 'mo & saying "oh shit, what we gonna do now"?  

I have no love for those oil hogs who think "we got ours, f**k future generations".  

12 hours ago, nickers said:

It was known as the Closest at one time... I guess that has changed... I had heard this when I was an 11-12 year old kid... Hubble Telescope was just an idea... ... The Viking Landers were on its way.. And I believer the Voyager probes were already launched.. And don't ever be sorry... There's no crime in being wrong lol.. Except a couple of posters we know here would beg to differ....  But at that time Star Wars was becoming popular... I was just becoming a real space junkie.. After In Search of with Leonard Nimoy... And Chariots of the Gods with Erik Von Daniken I was completely hooked on Space... And the idea that Aliens or Extra Terrestrials visited Earth.. While I know some scoff at the idea... I remain open to the possibility... And yeah I had heard of Proxima Centauri.. The thing I find more interesting are the number of planets that are being discovered... Most of them Jovian to this point sadly... Terran planets are harder to find... Even if we could find one like Earth in Goldilocks Orbit... Then go there (if we could) doesn't seem like a good idea... We would probably find a way to fuck it all up like we're doing here.. I think going to Mars right now is a terribly DUMB idea.. If we even do land a Human there... They aren't coming back... Id rather wait another 50 years and become more technically proficient. I don't think we could Kobyashi Maru our way from extinction...

I sorta became a space junkie too. Thinking about the universe too long and your mind begins to blow. It's the numbers.

It's vastness, and the fact that there are billions of stars separated by millions of light years,..and for our friends on the left who may not understand the concept of a light year:

Light travels at 186,000 miles in a second. So in 2 seconds how far do you suppose it will travel? Do the math, seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours, hours to days, days to weeks, weeks/months, months/years. We're talking millions of years here. The distance is unfathomable.

Stars themselves are another story. They all die, as will our sun. Depending on its mass, a star will take I believe 3 different forms when it dies...a white dwarf, a neutron star or a black hole. 

What's mind blowing is the density of a neutron star, so dense that ONE SUGAR CUBE size of its material weighs 100 MILLION TONS.

As far as ancient aliens, I with you on that, but If I start ranting about that, I won't know when to quit.lol

17 minutes ago, FY56 said:

You and I are on the same page on this one.

Thinking about the universe too long and your mind begins to blow. It's the numbers.

It's vastness, and the fact that there are billions of stars separated by millions of light years, and for those who don't understand the concept of a light year:

Light travels at 186,000 miles in a second. So in 2 seconds how far will it travel? Do the math, seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours, hours to days, days to weeks, weeks/months, months/years. We're talking millions of years here. The distance is unfathomable.

Stars themselves are another story. They all die, as will our sun. Depending on its mass, a star will take I believe 3 different forms when it dies...a white dwarf, a neutron star or a black hole.

Whats mind blowing is the density of a neutron star, so dense that ONE SUGAR CUBE size of its material weighs 100 MILLION TONS.

As far as ancient aliens, I with you on that. If I start babbling about that, I won't know when to quit.

Yeah , I suck at Math,,, It's the one thing that stopped me from fulfilling a dream of Astrophysics and Computer Science... But it's even more strange that I understand these concepts on a minimalist level... But yeah... I teeter on the Ancient Aliens Theory... in one vain it makes perfect sense since.. We cannot find the supposed missing link... I still believe in some sense we were "Manufactured" Because there is no Missing link... As much as I believe in God... I don't think he did it all by himself.. Whatever God turns out to be.... I do feel however Man has been here longer than the Bible would have us believe... There are human artifacts that have been discovered to be hundreds of thousands year old... Not just a few thousand... I look at someplace like Puma Punku'... and I think... There's no way in hell they constructed those parts and monolithic structures with just sticks,stones and mud... There was some technology at hand that we do not yet possess ourselves... These are questions still not answered... I'm just one of these people who does not believe everything and history went in some perfect Darwinian line...  There's too many variables that leave things into question...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

They look like money to the farmers in the Panhandle who are having to sell their cattle now due to excess drought throughout the state and the consequent high cost of hay to feed them. Up above the cattle they are selling is the money they make for allowing windfarms all over their property. Driving through this summer I can see about 20-30 times as many as there were even 10 years ago. Having those windfarms means they also don't have to go bankrupt and sell long held inherited lands.

How did them windfarms and solar panels work last winter?😂

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Yeah , I suck at Math,,, It's the one thing that stopped me from fulfilling a dream of Astrophysics and Computer Science... But it's even more strange that I understand these concepts on a minimalist level... But yeah... I teeter on the Ancient Aliens Theory... in one vain it makes perfect sense since.. We cannot find the supposed missing link... I still believe in some sense we were "Manufactured" Because there is no Missing link... As much as I believe in God... I don't think he did it all by himself.. Whatever God turns out to be.... I do feel however Man has been here longer than the Bible would have us believe... There are human artifacts that have been discovered to be hundreds of thousands year old... Not just a few thousand... I look at someplace like Puma Punku'... and I think... There's no way in hell they constructed those parts and monolithic structures with just sticks,stones and mud... There was some technology at hand that we do not yet possess ourselves... These are questions still not answered... I'm just one of these people who does not believe everything and history went in some perfect Darwinian line...  There's too many variables that leave things into question...

I didn't say you sucked at math, or even imply it!...I was just trying to stress a point!

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

They don't call them "bird brains" for nothing Vambo.  :)  I do know eagles (and probably other raptors) only look down while they're flying. the hospital I used to work at had highly reflective gold tone glass windows.  Occasionally we'd hear a whump when a bird flew into the glass- thought it was flying west into the sunset, but actually flew east right into our building... 

But I digress... Suddenly all broken hearted about bird kill, well ahem, about a million birds croaked, not counting a probable equal number of fish when Deepwater Horizon spilled around 200 million gallons of crude into the Gulf of Mexico, or a slightly smaller spill way back Exxon Valdez up Alaska way... Why I'm glad Keystone XL got shut down, an environmental disaster waiting to happen. That crap tar sand wasn't going to help America one bit. If Canada wants to market it, they can damn well refine it north of the border. 

The supply of oil in the ground isn't infinite guy, and when it's gone, it's gone. Look where the majority of drilling outside of the Middle East is... Two mile deep oceans, -40 degree weather on the North Slope. Buy a clue. Global warming aside, doesn't hurt to be a little proactive.. Instead of waiting until gas hits $10 bucks a gallon because there ain't no 'mo & saying "oh shit, what we gonna do now"?  

I have no love for those oil hogs who think "we got ours, f**k future generations".  

Do you drive an electric car?

Your house use solar panels for light and heating?

If not you're part of the"we got ours, f**k future generations". 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FY56 said:

I didn't say you sucked at math, or even imply it!...I was just trying to stress a point!

I know that... That was just an omission on my behalf lol...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

How did them windfarms and solar panels work last winter?😂

Like I said, we were one of the few places in the state that never had an outage lasting more than about 5-6 hours. So apparently it worked just fine. Temps in the house never got below 58F unlike some areas that were out for days and had their pipes freeze up. That was 2021. This year we had no loss of power at all.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Browns149 said:

While, I agree they are ugly, but this is also ugly

CABA9979-7ACC-43B7-8D0A-D1D4CBB7CA84.jpeg

I agree that looks ugly, but if you have one of those it will do the work of thousands of those wind turbines (and they work with no wind).

11 hours ago, FY56 said:

I sorta became a space junkie too. Thinking about the universe too long and your mind begins to blow. It's the numbers.

It's vastness, and the fact that there are billions of stars separated by millions of light years,..and for our friends on the left who may not understand the concept of a light year:

Light travels at 186,000 miles in a second. So in 2 seconds how far do you suppose it will travel? Do the math, seconds turn into minutes, minutes turn into hours, hours to days, days to weeks, weeks/months, months/years. We're talking millions of years here. The distance is unfathomable.

What's mind blowing is the density of a neutron star, so dense that ONE SUGAR CUBE size of its material weighs 100 MILLION TONS.

As far as ancient aliens, I with you on that, but If I start ranting about that, I won't know when to quit.lol

Of course I know the answer to your trivia. In one second, a beam of light is already past the Moon.  :) At the fringe of our Solar system, Pluto is 5-1\2 hours away at the speed of light.

I'll give you another Neutron Star density thing to ponder.  That density is so high, it would be like stuffing Lake Erie into your kitchen sink. Black Holes are another critter. It's hard to fathom something with no volume and infinite density. 

And a little personal background on myself..  Yeah I'm old, and I started to get interested in Astronomy with the close approach of Mars to the Earth back in 1956.   I was such a geek at an early age, my 2nd Grade teacher took me up to the 8th Grade kids to play stump the little kid on his Astronomy knowledge. They failed.  For a long time I seriously considered following a career path of becoming a professional Astronomer.  However, reality eventually sunk in.  1) You usually need to have a PhD minimum, and be a crack expert in Math and physics. (not me there) 2) There's more guys with PhDs in Astronomy than jobs available. 3) The stuff that was being researched at the time like subatomic physics and Chandrasekhar's Limit were of no interest to me. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vambo said:

Do you drive an electric car?

Your house use solar panels for light and heating?

If not you're part of the"we got ours, f**k future generations". 

You drive a Ford F-250 because it looks cool? Plenty of folks do, whether they actually need one or not.  :D  I do small things like not drive a gas hog, and turn off lights in rooms I'm not using.  Upgraded high efficiency heating and AC too.... 

Yeah I blame Willis Carrier (the guy who invented air conditioning) for wasting gigawatts on electricity every summer. Las Vegas used to be a 20,000 population center in the middle of a stinking hot desert way back. Ask yourself what the population of states south of the Mason-Dixon line would be without it.   

11 minutes ago, hoorta said:

You drive a Ford F-250 because it looks cool? Plenty of folks do, whether they actually need one or not.  :D  I do small things like not drive a gas hog, and turn off lights in rooms I'm not using.  Upgraded high efficiency heating and AC too.... 

Yeah I blame Willis Carrier (the guy who invented air conditioning) for wasting gigawatts on electricity every summer. Las Vegas used to be a 20,000 population center in the middle of a stinking hot desert way back. Ask yourself what the population of states south of the Mason-Dixon line would be without it.   

So you're part of the f**k future generations".   All talk no action!

You're one of the yahoo's who want others to sacrifice while you don't how pathetic!