THE BROWNS BOARD

Ikaika Alama-Francis

We need Tom Tupa

He may be healthy, he just didn't pan out.

The guy who apparently made him expendable is the guy I wanted us to draft:

Lions rookie DT Sammie Hill showed a good burst in beating veteran C Dominic Raiola during pass rush drills. "I think he's doing really great," said fellow DT Ikaika Alama-Francis. "Coming in as a rookie so many things are thrown at you and he's stayed on top of it."

Guest Aloysius

IAF was drafted too high, then became a personal project of head coach Rod Marinelli. Word is that Alama-Francis didn't appreciate being micro-managed by the former (and now with the Bears, current) d-line coach. In turn, he didn't play all that much.

The new regime tried him out at both end and tackle, but he apparently wasn't good enough to stick. Not sure he's strong enough at the point to play end in a 3-4. As I recall, Phil Savage said that IAF was the better 4-3 end prospect, whereas Mel Purcell projected to be the better 3-4 end.

A lot of people on this board also liked Manny Ramirez, an o-lineman from Texas Tech. Though initially not expected to make the team, Ramirez ended up competing for the starting LG job. Looks like he'll be their third guard, which is a good role for him. He's very similar to Rex Hadnot.

Archived