THE BROWNS BOARD

It's official. Mangini is NOT telling the Vikes who will start at QB

OconRecon

Here is the ESPN Outsiders view on it:

Timeline for QB announcement

11:40AM ET

Cleveland Browns

Top Email

While he did say that he's made his decision, and is going to talk to Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn in the near future to discuss his plans for the team's starting QB job, Browns coach Eric Mangini is sticking to his guns, and will not be telling the public which man has won the competition until just before kickoff on Sunday, as per the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Asked about the process by which he chose the starter, Mangini told the Plain Dealer, "It was thorough and detailed and we looked at the whole body of work. It was extensive. I feel strongly about the improvement both guys made."

With the starter likely to get all the reps with the first-team offense this week, we can only hope that there's a Browns player with an overactive urge to Tweet.

Insider

Football Outsiders

Quinn is the safer choice

"Anderson outperformed Quinn last year, with a -11.9% DVOA to Quinn's -23.1% DVOA. Of course, neither of those performances are what you'd call exciting. Even in Anderson's breakout 2007 season, he was essentially a player with three huge games (against Cincinnati, Miami, and St. Louis) and then the usual Derek Anderson performance the rest of the way. There's simply not much there unless he's playing a really dismal defense. Quinn, at least, has yet to get the playing time to prove that he's a disappointing quarterback. So he'd be our choice, but as Eric Mangini showed with his handling of the Pennington/Favre situation last year, picking the right quarterback isn't exactly his strong suit." - Bill Barnwell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mangini is just a control freak and likes keeping everyone asking. I guess he likes the attention.

A lot of football knowledge here. It's easy to understand that have the starter get as many reps/practice with first string as possible, is much more of an advantage than keeping the Vikings wondering.

PFT betting it'll leak out by tonight with 6 p.m. as the over-under.

Makes sense. I have a hard time imagining no-one finding out aside from Mangini and the two QBs. From a controlling the message perspective, it seems like it would make sense to have the meetings, keep the guys in the back--I dunno, make up some nonsense about watching film or something--then go call the media guys and announce it yourself. If he does the "You'll know when I want you to know" thing and it leaks as he's telling people that, it won't look good. It won't be horrible, but it would still be a problem.

Dennis

People aren't pissed because they think it hurts things and this crap about the team needing to know the starter is.

People are pissed because they want to know and the suspense is killing them.

That's all this is.

Bullshit. Anyone who thinks it isn't Quinn is lying to themselves. It's because Mangini's playing a stupid game against a team that doesn't give a shit who we start at QB. Brad Childress (probably the worst coach in the NFL) is laughing at how pathetic this is.

Bullshit. Anyone who thinks it isn't Quinn is lying to themselves. It's because Mangini's playing a stupid game against a team that doesn't give a shit who we start at QB. Brad Childress (probably the worst coach in the NFL) is laughing at how pathetic this is.

Bullshit right back at ya.

No matter how sure we are it's Quinn, we won't rest comfortabely until it's announced. Why be so mad if it's not hurting ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING ELSE? There's nothing to be mad or care about here except that people don't like that small seed of fear, however tiny, that Anderson actually will get this frickin' job. People want it the fcuk announced.

Kinda like how you have to say I Love You to a girlfriend/wife non-stop even though they know it's true regardless - they need the reassurance.

No matter how stupid the "pointless game" that Mangini is playing is against a team that "doesn't give a shit about who we play at QB", it doesn't hurt absolutely anything other than crybaby fans who can't wait another 6 days to find out for 100% sure who the starter is and erase those tiny seeds of doubt in their stomach.

It came straight from Mangini's mouth that as a defensive coach is makes it significantly harder to gameplan for - guess what? I think Mangini would know. He's got a little more NFL defensive coaching experience than the rest of us. And as I said, even if it doesn't, what does it hurt to try? Honestly? It makes fans pissed who want it officially announced, but as long as the starter is getting starter reps, that is ALL that matters.

The only God damn thing a public announcement would accomplish is giving Mary Kay Cabot something to write about and releiving the suspense of fans that they claim isn't there because they "know" Brady Quinn is the starting QB. If there was no doubt about it, you wouldn't giving a flying fcuk whether he announced it or not anyway.

Believe me, I want it to be Quinn. But I'm willing to endure 6 more days of a small, miniscule amount of worry that it'll be DA if it means we'll have even the SLIGHTEST advantage against the Vikings.

And the man that would know, Eric Mangini, says it will.

In the competition for who gets the leak... I like the OBR. They have a few solid player connections (or claim to) and they'll get the inside word. I'm thinking PFT then steals that story.

Luvbergh will get any "leak" first, via rectal osmosis.

You guys kill me with your Assumptions about mangini....hE HAS DONE NOTHING DIFFERENT FROM DAY 1, HAS BEEN CONSISTENT WITH HIS WORD AND DEED. hE ISN'T GONNA TELL ANYONE ANYTHING THAT MIGHT GIVE ANYONE A SLIGHT ADVANTAGE...pERIOD! aS SOMEONE SAID IT ONLY HURTS THE FANS THAT need TO KNOW! OOPS...just looked up and saw the caps....sorry golf...lol

In the competition for who gets the leak... I like the OBR. They have a few solid player connections (or claim to) and they'll get the inside word. I'm thinking PFT then steals that story.

The news will come from the agent of one of the QBs, and they won't be dialing up some "insider" at an internet message board.

Expect one of the national guys like Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, or Peter King to break it.

The news will come from the agent of one of the QBs, and they won't be dialing up some "insider" at an internet message board.

Expect one of the national guys like Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, or Peter King to break it.

As much as it hurts to say this, GULP, but I a....ggg...rreeee with Lumnutz. Ouch, that did hurt.

THE OBR and guys like that are not going to get any "inside" scoop over the major networks. They may say they have one, but it's just to get people to their site.

NFL Network, ESPN, will know before or at the same time as anyone else.

DTBH, I am sitting comfortably without getting the "official word.". Know that.

My point is this gamesmanship is, well, gay and embarrassing as a Browns fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

Even if it only gives the browns a very slight advantage why not wait for a public announcement? I do believe they are significantly different and it would affect your strategy of where to play linebackers and safeties. You might play man on man with the running backs if Quinn were starting but take your chances with looser running back coverage if DA plays.

Even if it simply makes the vikings work some extra hours it could be worth a point, might as well use every possible advantage you might have

People aren't pissed because they think it hurts things and this crap about the team needing to know the starter is.

People are pissed because they want to know and the suspense is killing them.

That's all this is.

Wow! What a talent ... to know what everyone else is thinking ... all the time. That must be quite the burden.

I don't give a rats ass who the starter is as long as they win games for us. The suspense for me is having to wait to see if our head coach knows what he is actually doing or if his mind games are just screwing with our team.

Quote---First, that he's already pretty much accepted that whoever starts this year won't be starting next year, and that this year is just about getting the system in place so that the guy he drafts in 2010 will be able to jump right in.

Couldn't agree more. Mangini figures he's gonna be here at least 2-3 years so this year is a gimme since no one expects anything.

Your coach not letting the opponent know who the QB is going to be is a lame game plan but it is not really the issue.

Mangini is a better coach than you had previously, but his decision to wait so long to name a starting QB is a bad decision. The starting QB should have been getting all the reps with the first team weeks ago. All of them. It was stupid to have the QB competition go on for so long. Now whatever QB you place in there will have to gain the support of the teammates that might have wanted the other QB, they will not have any time to gel as an offense except in game situations, and the first moment the QB has any problems there will be a QB controversy.

Bad decision Mangini.

business plan:

The whole DA/Quinn "competition" was to try and make DA look as though he had some trade value. Even this week.....to make him seem that he is starter material......to get back some of the stock that dropped off faster then Nortel last year. Unfortunately it didn't work.

game decision:

Time's up......stop playing mommy and announce Quinn already. Show some balls Mangini.....don't be another Crennel. If DA cries then so be it......he blew it with team Crennel. Put Quinn in with the first team all week so he knows his company.......the business plan failed.

business plan:

The whole DA/Quinn "competition" was to try and make DA look as though he had some trade value. Even this week.....to make him seem that he is starter material......to get back some of the stock that dropped off faster then Nortel last year. Unfortunately it didn't work.

game decision:

Time's up......stop playing mommy and announce Quinn already. Show some balls Mangini.....don't be another Crennel. If DA cries then so be it......he blew it with team Crennel. Put Quinn in with the first team all week so he knows his company.......the business plan failed.

It was a good plan that should have ended weeks ago. All he ended up doing was giving the first team offense less time together as a unit.

Guest Masters
If the Browns win Sunday, this was a great plan. If they lose, it was stupid and the wrong thing to do. End of story. Winning is all that matters.

All depends on the reasons CLE wins or loses.

Your coach not letting the opponent know who the QB is going to be is a lame game plan but it is not really the issue.

Mangini is a better coach than you had previously, but his decision to wait so long to name a starting QB is a bad decision. The starting QB should have been getting all the reps with the first team weeks ago. All of them. It was stupid to have the QB competition go on for so long. Now whatever QB you place in there will have to gain the support of the teammates that might have wanted the other QB, they will not have any time to gel as an offense except in game situations, and the first moment the QB has any problems there will be a QB controversy.

Bad decision Mangini.

Wholly crap, the end of days is here. I agree with FOS.

Fact: It's harder for a team to prepare for 2 QB's rather than 1 QB.

Fact: It's better to have a starter work with the first team all preseason

The question is which approach has a better chance of producing a win. Clearly Mangini feels its QB hide-and-seek. We'll see on Sunday. I hope he's correct. As many here have said, this is all just beer talk until Sunday where we see if we get a win or not.

Another possibility is Quinn and the O look good, but the D can't stop Favre and Peterson. :unsure:

Bad decision Mangini.

+1

My point is this gamesmanship is, well, gay and embarrassing as a Browns fan. Nothing more, nothing less.

You're welcome to stick to that.

I think it's funny BS, and like everyone else, you want your stomach settled and for it to be official like everone else does that Brady Quinn is starting.

Besides... as Browns fans, our embarressment meter desensitized a long, long time ago.

Fact: It's harder for a team to prepare for 2 QB's rather than 1 QB.

Fact: It's better to have a starter work with the first team all preseason

The question is which approach has a better chance of producing a win. Clearly Mangini feels its QB hide-and-seek. We'll see on Sunday. I hope he's correct. As many here have said, this is all just beer talk until Sunday where we see if we get a win or not.

I would throw in one more consideration: the fact that splitting the reps for as long as possible might have an impact on the QB's play past week one. If one game is enough to bring the QB up to speed with his receivers in game-time, great. If not--especially if the team loses--he'll have put the starter behind schedule in exchange for about a half's worth of an advantage against the defense.

Dennis

You're welcome to stick to that.

I think it's funny BS, and like everyone else, you want your stomach settled and for it to be official like everone else does that Brady Quinn is starting.

Besides... as Browns fans, our embarressment meter desensitized a long, long time ago.

I think I know what I mean better than you do. That comes with this being my brain in here.

For the millionth time, it isn't the Quinn starting statement. We both know Quinn is the starter. It's the embarrassment that comes from the lame gamesmanship. Not sure how many more times I have to say this, DTBH..............

And as the embarrassment that comes with being a Browns fan, screw that. I feel no embarrassment overall, just recently. I remember the 80's.

I'll give Mangini some credit on this move. He realizes that the word getting out from anonymous player sources can be chalked up to rumor, and rumor is not what the Vikes are going to prepare on. A paranoid coach would assume any info coming out of Berea was planned, and therefore false.

Couple insider-ey things on the matter:

- Mangini has made his decision and he'll talk to the two privately. I assume that happens today.

- When asked if the secret would get out based on first team reps, he said, "Maybe. Maybe not."

- Mangini hasn't decided when during next weekend he'll name the quarterback publicly.

- The strong sense from player sources is that Quinn is the guy.

Archived