THE BROWNS BOARD

WR2 controversy: Cribbs or Furrey?

beefjerky

Who do you want starting opposite of Braylon Edwards?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Cribbs or Furrey?

• Cribbs
    • Furrey
    • I don't really care

Mangini hasn't named a single starter on the team yet, not BQ/DA, not even Joe Thomas, but we can all safely assume that B.Edwards won't be traded and will be the starter at WR1, the question is, who will be the starter opposite of him at WR2?

for me, I'm hoping it's Furrey, based on the preseason, he simply was catching almost every single ball thrown in his direction, he was great at route running, and he was(and is) definitely a smart, knowledgeable player. he's the perfect possession receiver to have.

on the other hand, Cribbs should be the slot receiver imo, he has great athletic ability, but he was lacking at running routes, so I would put him as the slot receiver and also play him in the red zone where running routes doesn't matter as much, since he's athletic he can catch some TDs there.

this is all assuming we aren't surprised by Mangini with him starting either rookie receiver(Massaquoi, Robiskie) instead of Cribbs/Furrey.

edit:

damnit I had this typed out before the depth chart was released, grr I'm upset with Cribbs being #2! feel free to lock/delete.

Guys Furrey is the slot receiver. The Browns are going to run a ton of three receiver sets. If anything, Cribbs may be relieved at time by MoMass while Furrey stays on the field.

Furrey's strength is working underneath in the slot role and Cribbs may just tear it up on the outside, especially taking some heat off Edwards and scaring defenses with yards after catch.

Mangini hasn't named a single starter on the team yet, not BQ/DA, not even Joe Thomas, but we can all safely assume that B.Edwards won't be traded and will be the starter at WR1, the question is, who will be the starter opposite of him at WR2?

for me, I'm hoping it's Furrey, based on the preseason, he simply was catching almost every single ball thrown in his direction, he was great at route running, and he was(and is) definitely a smart, knowledgeable player. he's the perfect possession receiver to have.

on the other hand, Cribbs should be the slot receiver imo, he has great athletic ability, but he was lacking at running routes, so I would put him as the slot receiver and also play him in the red zone where running routes doesn't matter as much, since he's athletic he can catch some TDs there.

this is all assuming we aren't surprised by Mangini with him starting either rookie receiver(Massaquoi, Robiskie) instead of Cribbs/Furrey.

edit:

damnit I had this typed out before the depth chart was released, grr I'm upset with Cribbs being #2! feel free to lock/delete.

The chart also has Cribbs as starting KOR. The guy might need a breather of one or two plays after a KOR.

Regardless, I'm sure Daboll will see to it the unnamed QB will have plenty of targets to throw to.

It sure sounds silly now but before the draft, many people were asking, "Who is the QB going to pass to ?"

Talk about going from thin to thick.

Route running in the redzone is probably MORE critical as you have less space and more defenders in a small space.. I like ALL of our recievers and any are more than worthy to play the slot.. I think Momass could be very dangerous there, robiskie is fine too... Our recieving corps 3,4,and 5 spots are a million times better than last year. However I am for Furrey starting in the 2 spot.. I have been a fan of this guy for a few years.

Route running in the redzone is probably MORE critical as you have less space and more defenders in a small space.. I like ALL of our recievers and any are more than worthy to play the slot.. I think Momass could be very dangerous there, robiskie is fine too... Our recieving corps 3,4,and 5 spots are a million times better than last year. However I am for Furrey starting in the 2 spot.. I have been a fan of this guy for a few years.

I guess what I meant to say is that route running in the red zone is easier than it is at the start of the field, or midfield, because Cribbs would often not run a route effectively and it would cost an incompletion.

Just saw an interview of Cribbs, he said he'll play Sunday and he'll play the rest of the season. He won't leave his teammates stranded out there alone.

This will pay off for him. He's going to get a much bigger contract if he has a good year as a WR than he would have gotten if he got an extension on his KR credentials alone.

Just saw an interview of Cribbs, he said he'll play Sunday and he'll play the rest of the season. He won't leave his teammates stranded out there alone.

This will pay off for him. He's going to get a much bigger contract if he has a good year as a WR than he would have gotten if he got an extension on his KR credentials alone.

well I hope we won't see poor route running anymore then.

thoughts of BE and Cribbs blocking on running plays has me giddy...almost too good to be true. i can't believe Cribbs potential @ #2 never even occurred to me previously>>i hope he has a ton of success there (opposite BE). best thing he coulda done for himself right there. they all line up all over the place, we'll see them all everywhere.

if he's effective they are gonna be a blast to watch this year.

we could even see a Cribbs to BE TD someday. HA!

Furrey's born for the slot. If Cribbs needs a breather, you'll see Massaquoi in his place.

why does everyone say this? what makes you think he can't be a great possession receiver?

can someone get some stats from the preseason on what % throws to Furrey were complete? as well as Cribbs to compare.

and fixed.

why does everyone say this? what makes you think he can't be a great possession receiver?

can someone get some stats from the preseason on what % throws to Furrey were complete? as well as Cribbs to compare.

and fixed.

I think people just automatically think Brandon Stokely because he's white. Which of course is extemely amateur.

I actually think of it the other way. Cribbs is a faster, more physical guy who will go over the middle and could do the slot well, IMO. And Furrey probably has the route running and hands to be a #2 possession receiver.

We'll see how it plays out.

edit:

I appreciate what you wanted to do here Beef. It's still a good discussion piece. I ENJOYED seeing Cribbs as a more active part of our passing game. I think he COULD master this craft like he has his return game if that's how we prep him for Sundays. I also like what Furrey has added. I was thinking Edwards #1, Cribbs #2 and Furrey #3 (slot). I'm also looking forward to the rookies getting into the fold at times too. Seems like a promising area of the offense.

- Tom F.

what could happen here is the same thing that happened to devin hester in chicago. he was an absolutely great returner and was a game-changer. cribbs has that same ability. however now hester is concentrating on being a wr and he has become an average returner. i fear that cribbs will follow the same mold and we will then lose our best asset on special teams. we will see how this plays out.

I love this quote from Cribbs...

"Brady Quinn came up to me and said, 'You've really improved as a receiver. What's been the change?' " Cribbs said. "I think the change is this regime actually wanted me to play receiver. They said, "You're going to be one of the guys we get the ball to. They have to account for you every play.' That's when I got into the playbook and said, 'If I'm going to one of those guys, I have to be on my Ps and Qs in the playbook and make sure I'm fundamentally sound out there on the football field.' "

from an article by Jeff Schudel from the News Herald.

Shows just how much of an ignoramus RAC was.

I think there is too much thought being put into this. When the Browns go 3 WR sets, it will be Edwards and Cribbs on the outside and Furrey in the slot. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Furrey is on the field with Edwards when they only go two wide.

IMO, they like the idea of Cribbs being spread out and having to be accounted for, while Furrey can operate on the inside and move the chains like he does. I can see Braylon having a pretty big year with these guys. Since MoMass is currently ahead of Robo, my take is he would be the one to replace Cribbs in certain packages or when Cribbs needs a blow. Furrey probably doesn't come off the field, which is a good thing.

Furrey is a serious ballplayer, and his being white has nothing to do with how the Browns are planning to use him in the offense. More of it is predicated on Cribbs IMO, because of what he can do to defenses, especially YAC.

Cribbs is going to tear some defenses up on some runs after the catch, he is flat out one of the hardest guys to tackle in the NFL. Quinn should be able to get him the ball in stride, something that DA always struggled with.

Either way, I reiterate this is the best WR corps top to bottom we've had since the 80's.

I agree. Cribbs' value can be optimized by getting him the ball in space and letting him make a move down the field with that wicked stiff arm he has. I would hate to be a DB trying to bring him down one-on-one.

That said, Furry looks great and I am hopeful for some 4 and 5 receiver sets to shake opposing defenses up. We have the depth and could be real tough to cover if our o-line can keep the defenders off the QB.

Shows just how much of an ignoramus RAC was.

i saw Jerome Harrison is the #3 KR/PR as well...something i've been saying for years and i'm just a dude on the street. just getting reps there will improve his open field running and toughening him up a little more couldn't hurt either. i really, really like what i see so far all over.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived