THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

Dutch Oven

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Possibly so, but TE might be last on the list of needs.  If we had the guns, I could see us not playing with a TE for a good portion of plays.

Harrison Bryant is on his last season of his rookie contract, and his future with the Browns is questionable after next season. 

Which would pretty much leave Njoku as the only TE on the roster at that point I'm not saying they are going to take a TE with their top pick, but it should be considered somewhere in the eight picks they have.

• Upvote 1

This  is what is going to determine what the 2023 Cleveland BROWNS are going to look like (subject to trades and trade ups :

First Round  (0)

Second Round (1) -   Pick #43

Third Round (1) -  Compensatory pick between  picks 97 and 102

Fourth Round (2) -   Pick #111   Pick #131 - From Minnesota

Fifth Round (2) -   Pick #141 - From Los Angeles Rams,   Pick #143

Sixth Round  (1) -  Pick #189

Seventh Round (1) - Pick #231

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Harrison Bryant is on his last season of his rookie contract, and his future with the Browns is questionable after next season. 

Which would pretty much leave Njoku as the only TE on the roster at that point I'm not saying they are going to take a TE with their top pick, but it should be considered somewhere in the eight picks they have.

Thanks for the clarification.  

First, as for Bryant, he is good enough for now. And who knows, maybe we extent him, but I doubt it.    Berry does work ahead in drafts, so we might draft one.

I just see TE being a weapon to use, but i think we will just look towards free agents or undrafted guys.  I don't see us keeping many TE's moving forward.  I see it a rare occasion we will ever play two of them at the same time.  

Look at last year, when we wanted "blocking", we had already dumped the blocking TE's and we just had a tackle report as eligible.

I think people don't understand that the O is going to morph....or at least it better do so to accomodate Watson.  We aren't going to use multiple TE sets IMO and TE is going to be a position of low importance as we move forward.  I don't see any real push to draft a TE until we are a year away from Njoku's final year.

21 hours ago, mjp28 said:

This  is what is going to determine what the 2023 Cleveland BROWNS are going to look like (subject to trades and trade ups :

First Round  (0)

Second Round (1) -   Pick #43

Third Round (1) -  Compensatory pick between  picks 97 and 102

Fifth Round (2) -   Pick #141 - From Los Angeles Rams,   Pick #143

Sixth Round  (1) -  Pick #189

Seventh Round (1) - Pick #231

No doubt a important draft.  In the world of high priced QB's, a world in which he haven't been, we have to make the picks count.  Somewhere in those 8 picks we have to pluck 2 starting type players and probably at least 1 solid contributor.  It will be harder this year because a 1st rounder is almost always going to be at minimum a solid contributor.  You have to have some of those rookie contracts on your team to keep inside the cap, and when i say that i mean they have to be decent and not kept simply because you have to keep them around.

It can be done.  Rounds 2-5 are still good rounds for many positions.

18 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't see us keeping many TE's moving forward.  I see it a rare occasion we will ever play two of them at the same time.  

I understand how DePodesta isn't interested in four yard runs and wants 13 yard passes..........but he picked Stef.  He's the one that wanted Stef the year earlier but Dorsey went with the Bill-Hilly.  And that was what Stef was known for....his two TE stretch blocking offense.  I actually expect a TE to be drafted with one of our latter picks.  I don't think they're flabbergasted with Bryant.  I know that I'm not...being a Mackie winner

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

I understand how DePodesta isn't interested in four yard runs and wants 13 yard passes..........but he picked Stef.  He's the one that wanted Stef the year earlier but Dorsey went with the Bill-Hilly.  And that was what Stef was known for....his two TE stretch blocking offense.  I actually expect a TE to be drafted with one of our latter picks.  I don't think they're flabbergasted with Bryant.  I know that I'm not...being a Mackie winner

He's been a decent if not underwhelming player, but eventually the Browns are going to have to let some of their draft picks leave after their rookie contracts are up, and to me Bryant could very well be that type of guy that is allowed to leave and is replaced by a cheaper rookie. They can't give contract extensions to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nick Chubb just completed his fifth NFL season, and will be 28 years old next season.

What would a team have to offer the Browns for you to trade him? 

Nope..not trading Chubby nor his contract 😁

but Duff has a whole series of "what if" trades.. click a name

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Cleveland-Browns-Trade-Value-Joel-Bitonio-201476295/

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Nick Chubb just completed his fifth NFL season, and will be 28 years old next season.

Please don't ask that.  He's been my favorite player since he got here.  He's a throwback to the type of player that I grew up with.  Score a great touchdown, hand the ball to the official.  - Please don't do that to me.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

Please don't ask that.  He's been my favorite player since he got here.  He's a throwback to the type of player that I grew up with.  Score a great touchdown, hand the ball to the official.  - Please don't do that to me.

I along with every Browns fan alive loves Nick Chubb. I now have brown and the 1946 throwback white Browns jerseys - both with #24. 

But I am curious if there is anyone who would subscribe to the sell high/buy low mindset with Chubb?

Plus, it's the end of January, and not much going on with the Browns now 😉

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:26 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Tired of watching TJ Watt pick on Harrison Bryant's lined up side? 

Meet TE/FB #9 Brayden Willis at Oklahoma.. projected 6th rounder to UDFA :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

But I am curious if there is anyone who would subscribe to the sell high/buy low mindset with Chubb?

Of course that could make sense in today's NFL.  Especially for a team with no 1st round pick.  But I bet that we can't get the Colts to give us any more 1st round picks for RB's. 

I don't think I'm all that smart.  Wasn't gifted with as many neuron connections as professors.  I do think, however, that I got at least my share of logic.  I don't always use it though.  And in Chubb's case my heart won't allow me to use it.  Chubb embodies almost exactly what you would want in a football player.  He's got a great attitude.  A Very hard worker.  Great teammate.  Does not seek out the media.  No social media presence.  Big, strong, fast, smart.  A great and yet humble player.  -  How do you trade that person?  What kind of message does that send?  And let's not even factor in the current PR situation with our QB. 

I just don't see how you could possibly trade away a 'most probable' future Browns Ring of Fame player while he's still playing at a peak level.  No more Paul Warfield stuff...

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Of course that could make sense in today's NFL.  Especially for a team with no 1st round pick.  But I bet that we can't get the Colts to give us any more 1st round picks for RB's. 

I don't think I'm all that smart.  Wasn't gifted with as many neuron connections as professors.  I do think, however, that I got at least my share of logic.  I don't always use it though.  And in Chubb's case my heart won't allow me to use it.  Chubb embodies almost exactly what you would want in a football player.  He's got a great attitude.  A Very hard worker.  Great teammate.  Does not seek out the media.  No social media presence.  Big, strong, fast, smart.  A great and yet humble player.  -  How do you trade that person?  What kind of message does that send?  And let's not even factor in the current PR situation with our QB. 

I just don't see how you could possibly trade away a 'most probable' future Browns Ring of Fame player while he's still playing at a peak level.  No more Paul Warfield stuff...

There ain't enough gold and riches in the Universe to make me trade away Chubb.. We would NEVER get equal value in return... This guy has HOF written all over him... The guy I would peddle is the CANCER known as "Mild" Garrett... He's a distraction to the team and bad juju in the locker room... Not only that... Garrett is S O F T!!!

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I am not saying TE won't be used.  I am simply saying that we spent a big bag on watson, and the O needs to morph to what Watson does best, and that isn't playing in a bunched up offense.  We will spread the field.  We aren't going to play with 7 players playing shoulder to shoulder on the LOS....at least we better not if we want to tap in to Watsons talents.

That is why I think that Chubb might not be the best type of back for the type of O we will start to play.

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to throw something out there...

1st and a 2nd.   Maybe a 3rd depending on how high it is in the round. 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm going to throw something out there...

In reality: Never. He is my favorite player by some margin. I've often thought this season: Chubb deserves better than the Browns. 

For sake of discussion and playing football trade games without buying a Madden game: 
Chubb and Willis to Tampa for Tristan Wirfs and Vita Vea. Maybe some addition and/ or exchange of picks to make it happen (although it would never happen in reality).

Wirfs because I was very high on him before the 2020 draft, and we could have had him. In stead, we got seemingly unmotivated lazybones Willis, who often seems to give up on blocking while the play is still going on. Vea because he is a highly rated IDL, which would help towards fixing our greatest weakness. 

While I am fairly high on Ford, I don't think he is ready to start yet, and D'Ernest is back-up caliber. So in this scenario, we would need to use one of our picks on a RB who could start, or sign a free agent. We could even re-sign Hunt and give him the #1 position he desires.

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Nice.  No name on the back?

It's not THAT much of a throwback, it does have his name on the back. Doing a bachelor party weekend up in Erie during the Super Bowl Weekend, will be busting out this beauty for Sunday. 

1946 browns jersey.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Orion said:

you mean like this guy he either drops the ball or hands it to the ref oh if you do watch he is a two way player qb fb lb and has a 6th or 7th round draft status

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 2:06 PM, Dutch Oven said:

It would be nice to have one big target, but that Penn State kid is a play-making machine, and while shorter than preferred, built like a RB. 

Precisely!    Good idea Dutch!  I'd like to see a change of direction guy in receiving corps (and in the FO). As for the BIG target with speed, the 6'4" David Njoku is supposed to give us this.  When we use 2 TEs Harrison Bryant is a 6'5" target.  

I see a lot of routes in Stefanski's offense (passing tree) that are straight ahead fly routes and go routes that we use with our outside Receivers in formation.  They're fine when the passes are accurate and/or our receivers are getting separation.  Having said that, when we're running them wide/down the sidelines - that's what any decent corners want us to do.  They'll get the inside leverage and the sidelines remove any threat outside; so there's no room for error from the passer.

Post routes, corner routes or flag routes all start off straight ahead and then slant off toward the goal post, sideline or pylon.  None of these routes are a drastic change of direction that are going to worry DBs.  The shorter version of a post route is a quick slant route from where the Receiver lines up outside immediately angling toward the middle of the field (skipping a lot of the straight ahead stuff prior to the slant used in the deeper post routes),

Dig routes are what us older fellers used to call square ins.  These are your drastic change of direction routes where a guy with ideal football hips like Jerry Rice got a lot more separation than the 40 yard dash times projected from him.  Former Syracuse and Indy Colts star Marvin Harrison was as good as it gets with this asset.  He has a chip off the ole block that's very fun to watch playing for Ohio State.  Only the younger version is 6'4" tall weighing in at 205 pounds vrs his father that was 6'0" and 185 pounds.  The scary thing about MH Jr is he does everything his dad did extremely well; only he's bigger, faster and stronger than his dad was.  You want to know how scary that is?  Ask any guy that played in Georgia's secondary; because they were losing without solutions for him before he left the game with an unpenalized head injury.    Georgia could have scored 4 more TDs against TCU; and it still wouldn't remove their feeling that Ohio State had them in check mate when he was in the game. 

People are going to say WR isn't a need but adding something we don't currently have in that position group seems like a big need.  I'm talking an ideal change of direction guy that can run any route and put points on the board. Even better, we can address it in the 3rd round.  If they do this - please go after a guy that can catch the ball instead of fooling ourselves that we can coach the dropsies right out of someone with that frequent tendency.   I'd prefer a guy with a frame that doesn't limit him to being an undersized/underweight slot receiver.  I was never a big fan of Dennis Northcutt in the passing game even though I liked the excitement he added as a punt/kick return man. PSU's Parker Washington may only be 5'10" but he's a compact 212 lbs.  He's like a Mark Clayton or Mark Duper with about 25 more lbs of muscle so that should remove a lot of concerns about press coverage or confining him exclusively to a slot/flanker role.

As you can see, I still need to familiarize myself with the draft prospects and this thread will be a great help. 

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 7:50 PM, mjp28 said:

Pick #111 - Is that all we get from Minnesota after taking Stefanski and Priefer off their hands?  

Can you imagine if the guy in the video below was a Browns fan?  

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:12 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Here's hoping Jerron Cage falls to us sometime on day3.  I think he's everything Togiai has proven not to be.

He is about the 70th best DT ranked.  Being as such, he should probably be available as a free agent. What do you know about the guy that makes you think he will be any good?

@Dutch Oven   

You asked me about Benton from Wisconsin.  Some quick thoughts.

- I don't believe he has the natural size+ quickness to be a 2 gap nose.   Which I'm perfectly fine with.

- His 1 on 1 reps in the senior bowl really helped to demonstrate his ability to use violent and quick hands.

- His lateral pursuit and conditioning needs some work.   That's where I ultimately come back around to believing it would be better for him to stay around 305lbs-ish, help grow that first step burst he briefly flashes (ed) 

- Sometimes he losses his base and gets ahead of his pads, so footwork is going to need some attention.  But that's where I also come back around to mentioning not liking him as a 2 gap nose, where I found most of that issue.   Playing the shade is where I saw him shine.

- Still needs to concentrate on hand use to prevent reach blocks while using his quickness to power to drive blockers on zone steps both laterally and horizontally to disrupt and force early cuts.

I see potential.  Not like... top 15 potential.  Probably not even 1st round.   But day 2?  Yeah 

• Like 1

I wish we'd have gotten to see that Isaiah Weston kid this year.  6'4.  But since we didn't, we've got to proceed like we need a big WR.  But of course, we need a FAST receiver because our group was ranked near the bottom of the league in speed.  So, we need a big, strong, fast, surehanded wr....among our mid to late round picks that we have available.

If I can, I like to watch the WR's run the gauntlet.  (3/4/23  1:00pm)