THE BROWNS BOARD

Judge Strikes Down Biden’s Student Loan Forgiveness Program

Canton Dawg

Federal judge strikes down Biden administration’s student-debt forgiveness plan

A federal judge in Texas on Thursday struck down the Biden administration’s student-debt forgiveness plan, imperiling a key administration priority that would have canceled up to $20,000 in student loans for tens of millions of borrowers.

The Biden administration’s plan is an “unconstitutional exercise of Congress’s legislative power” that also failed to go through normal regulatory processes, Judge Mark Pittman of the Northern District of Texas wrote in a 26-page opinion.

“No one can plausibly deny that it is either one of the largest delegations of legislative power to the executive branch, or one of the largest exercises of legislative power without congressional authority in the history of the United States,” Pittman, an appointee of former President Donald Trump wrote.

The Biden administration can appeal the verdict. The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Two borrowers—supported by the Job Creators Network, a conservative group—were granted standing in the case because they didn’t qualify for the program. One plaintiff had private student loans that weren’t eligible for forgiveness, while the other wasn’t the recipient of a Pell Grant, meaning he didn’t qualify for an extra $10,000 in forgiveness for which only Pell Grant recipients are eligible. The court ruled that they had been deprived of their right to voice their disagreement with the contours of the program through the usual regulatory process.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-judge-in-texas-strikes-down-biden-student-debt-cancellation-program-11668127159

• Upvote 1

The younger generations are paying billions into the Ponzi scheme Social Security program to subsidize the retirement of all the old fuckers out there; billions that my generation will never see once we reach retirement age. So the whole "I shouldn't be forced to subsidize other's lifestyles" argument doesn't hold much water with me. 

53 minutes ago, jbluhm86 said:

The younger generations are paying billions into the Ponzi scheme Social Security program to subsidize the retirement of all the old fuckers out there; billions that my generation will never see once we reach retirement age. So the whole "I shouldn't be forced to subsidize other's lifestyles" argument doesn't hold much water with me. 

You can thank FDR for Social Security (a Democrat….no surprise).

If there was a way to opt out of contributing to SS I would’ve signed up for it 45 years ago.

I like to choose my own retirement investments.

4 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

You can thank FDR for Social Security (a Democrat….no surprise).

If there was a way to opt out of contributing to SS I would’ve signed up for it 45 years ago.

I like to choose my own retirement investments.

Should’ve been a teacher. They have their own retirement and don’t pay into SS

9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

The addled old prick, or at least his handlers, never expected this ridiculous garbage to pass. It was nothing but a campaign trick to appeal to the free shit suckers. And let's not pretend it didn't help.

WSS

Kinda in the same vein as “ I will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it”.

That was never going to happen either

5 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

I might be at the right age to be able to collect something, before it’s all gone, or pilfered by the politicians

I’m 52 and plan on retiring at either 62 or 65

34 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Kinda in the same vein as “ I will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it”.

That was never going to happen either

But we're not talking about the wall here. And we're not talking about promising to be a president for all americans. Or bringing Americans together. Or stop and communism or making the place a kinder and gentler America period Or protecting Americans from seeing Indians or Negroes or Asians on product packages . And we're not talking about promising to be color blind. Or anything else just at this moment. Nor are we talking about George W bush Bill Clinton Richard Nixon Jimmy Carter Jack Kennedy Dwight Eisenhower Ronald Reagan or William Howard taft.

This particular threat is about the student loan scam, simple as that.

But feel free to start yourself a thread about the wall.

WSS

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

But we're not talking about the wall here. And we're not talking about promising to be a president for all americans. Or bringing Americans together. Or stop and communism or making the place a kinder and gentler America period Or protecting Americans from seeing Indians or Negroes or Asians on product packages . And we're not talking about promising to be color blind. Or anything else just at this moment. Nor are we talking about George W bush Bill Clinton Richard Nixon Jimmy Carter Jack Kennedy Dwight Eisenhower Ronald Reagan or William Howard taft.

WSS

I was just comparing bogus campaign promises that were never going to come to fruition. Nothing more

14 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

And yes there is no way I, or you, or anyone else should have to pay for someone else’s college

Unless you want to because their your kids

• Thanks 3