THE BROWNS BOARD

GO BLUE (again)

MLD Woody

On 11/27/2022 at 9:43 AM, MLD Woody said:

Some OSU fans talking about bringing back Meyer haha. Just to really drive home the fact they have no shame

I have been an Ohio sports fan for my whole life. As I said in another thread in the Browns forum, I never liked it when they referred to Michigan as TTUN or put red X's through the letter M or whatever childish shit they do, it's arrogant and it rubs off on the players. You should respect the team you're playing, that's how you know you will be getting 100% out of your players and their undivided attention. Michigan whooped on OSU and they deserved it.

23 hours ago, Neo said:

I have been an Ohio sports fan for my whole life. As I said in another thread in the Browns forum, I never liked it when they referred to Michigan as TTUN or put red X's through the letter M or whatever childish shit they do, it's arrogant and it rubs off on the players. You should respect the team you're playing, that's how you know you will be getting 100% out of your players and their undivided attention. Michigan whooped on OSU and they deserved it.

Both the amazing invincible OSU players and the play callers looked   -lost-   especially in the second half.   :blink:

I thought the BUCKEYES would win by 14+ not the other way around.   

Now an  eleven  win season is no failure at all but this team, fans, everyone associated with The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY had their sights set on another national championship  ....... nothing less.  That might be a little bit tricky now.  

GO BUCKEYES  !

On 11/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, mjp28 said:

Both the amazing invincible OSU players and the play callers looked   -lost-   especially in the second half.   :blink:

Now an  eleven  win season is no failure at all but this team, fans, everyone associated with The OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY had their sights set on another national championship  ....... nothing less.  That might be a little bit tricky now.  

GO BUCKEYES  !

It’s on again. 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:32 PM, mjp28 said:

GO BUCKEYES  !

When you really think about it, beside their opener out of conference - what Big 10 team battle tested them for an opponent like last week?  If that's not enough, has anyone seen Georgia play?

19 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

And of course OSU gets all the luck and falls backwards into the CFP

Like Tony Rizzo says, " don't be fan-scared"

I'm not convinced tOSU is worthy but hey let's see how it goes 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Like Tony Rizzo says, " don't be fan-scared"

I'm not convinced tOSU is worthy but hey let's see how it goes 

I hate to say it; but I think we already saw how it goes Bob. That doesn't mean I don't want Ohio State to win - it just means the 1st true Big 10 battle test they had exposed a lot of weaknesses we seldom see in National Champion caliber teams.  Georgia would have scored over 60 points on Ohio State last week. 

Aside from the defense lacking the overall speed and talent they usually have - there is no threat of THIS QB running the ball even when Michigan rolled out the red carpet for him to do so.  He didn't want any part of it IMO; and Michigan knew that so it gave their defense a comfort zone all day.  Justin Fields would have shredded them on the ground especially on designed pass plays if they dared him to run.  They know CJ Stroud has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome about running against them.  It's not his game but it's always been a big part of the Ohio State teams that didn't have to back into the playoffs.  Justin Fields and Cardale Jones were a nightmare for opponents when they escaped the pocket in the playoffs.  Another thing with CJ Stroud this time of year, he doesn't want to jeopardize where he goes in the draft so leaving the pocket is a conflict of interest for a guy like him where scrambling has never been a big part of his game (or who he is).

This is the 1st time I'm worried about Ohio State being in the playoffs.  I was told by an avid Michigan fan that 4 recruits on the Ohio State sideline last week committed to Michigan this week.  That's the type of thing I'm worried about re-occurring when/if they got spanked again.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I hate to say it; but I think we already saw how it goes Bob. That doesn't mean I don't want Ohio State to win - it just means the 1st true Big 10 battle test they had exposed a lot of weaknesses we seldom see in National Champion caliber teams.  Georgia would have scored over 60 points on Ohio State last week. 

Aside from the defense lacking the overall speed and talent they usually have - there is no threat of THIS QB running the ball even when Michigan rolled out the red carpet for him to do so.  He didn't want any part of it IMO; and Michigan knew that so it gave their defense a comfort zone all day.  Justin Fields would have shredded them on the ground especially on designed pass plays if they dared him to run.  They know CJ Stroud has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome about running against them.  It's not his game but it's always been a big part of the Ohio State teams that didn't have to back into the playoffs.  Justin Fields and Cardale Jones were a nightmare for opponents when they escaped the pocket in the playoffs.  Another thing with CJ Stroud this time of year, he doesn't want to jeopardize where he goes in the draft so leaving the pocket is a conflict of interest for a guy like him where scrambling has never been a big part of his game (or who he is).

This is the 1st time I'm worried about Ohio State being in the playoffs.  I was told by an avid Michigan fan that 4 recruits on the Ohio State sideline last week committed to Michigan this week.  That's the type of thing I'm worried about re-occurring when/if they got spanked again.

Agree. I'm not a big fan of CJ Stroud. I liked him way more before his stupid post game comments last week.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Flugel said:

We did get a few commits that were visiting OSU for the game, yep

You had to regress to the mean eventually. The odds of going Tressel to Meyer to another elite coach was slim. Day got the keys to a Ferrari and has started to drive it off course...

If OSU follows up with a bad coaching hire they could set themselves back for years and years like we did. Here's hoping...

30 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

But of course the seas part for OSU to get a path into the playoffs. As soon as OSU lost to Michigan and the door was open you knew it would happen. Even though OSU hasn't beaten us in years that luckiest team label is hanging on

LOL!  Yeah, you have a 2 year winning streak but after Harbaugh went 0-7 vrs Ohio State - Ohio State wasn't the team running away from their recent past 3 years ago.  I will say, you've been a pretty good sport with all the ball busting about the rivalry in here.  All of a sudden, you have the 2nd straight year of bragging rights or as you put it "it's been years."

I'm sure the rationale behind the decision was - the alternatives had 2 losses or more while Ohio State only lost to an 11-0 team that they had a halftime lead against.  

The sad thing was the only legit battle test the Buckeyes had came from out of the conference against Notre Dame before your team rathoused them.  Penn State is like the equivalent of Arkansas in their conference in the sense they won't seriously challenge the top 2 teams in their conference.

Edited by Flugel

46 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You had to regress to the mean eventually. The odds of going Tressel to Meyer to another elite coach was slim. Day got the keys to a Ferrari and has started to drive it off course...

If OSU follows up with a bad coaching hire they could set themselves back for years and years like we did. Here's hoping...

The jury is still out on Day. 45-5 isn't too shabby.

Thing is, the defense has been a problem. tOSU had pass rushers and great CBs. Let's see if he can patch that up with recruiting. 

My guess is the alumni aren't happy- lots of ex players bashed the staff after the latest loss to TTUN. 

I just hope tOSU doesn't jump to silly conclusions, like those SEC schools...Saban's success has caused all kinds of firings/hirings in the SEC. Give Day at least 2 more years & evaluate then.

15 hours ago, Flugel said:

When you really think about it, beside their opener out of conference - what Big 10 team battle tested them for an opponent like last week?  If that's not enough, has anyone seen Georgia play?

Watched them play Missouri, Tennesee and LSU.  

They play Michigan style football with guys by and large better than what you see at UM and they have IMO the best football player in college football Jalen Carter.  We have our hands full.

If we don’t pay attention to Carter it is going to be a long night.  And we can.  I like our book ends in pass protection if they can hold up on their islands we can have success and this will become a competitive game.  They play a ton of man coverage.  I’m interested if their secondary can hold up.  

We need JSN back to have a shot.  

This isn’t a game where Ryan Day needs to portion the run and pass evenly.  He needs to use the short pass game as the defacto run game.  JSN and Eubuga eating up underneath coverage.   I’d like to see some of those old OSU crossing routes on this man coverage too and again if we can protect we should do well. 

On defense I haven’t figured it out yet.

They have a TE that scares me. Their QB is a gamer, their line fires off the ball and could be the fastest OSU has seen, they have a lot of depth at skill positions.  If our front 4 doesn’t win consistently the offense is going to need to put up 40 plus. Maybe a guy like Jack Sawyer has a huge statement Game 

21 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Even though OSU hasn't beaten us in years that luckiest team label is hanging on

Yes….two (2) years 🤣😂

I recall one of the announcers say, half the kids on the field weren’t born yet the last time TTUN won in Columbus.

Pure comedic gold there Woodrow!

On 11/27/2022 at 3:30 PM, Browns149 said:

This is why OSU needs a different head coach. IMO.
They need a leader that can get the best out of the best players. A NFL head coach is what’s needed now-a-days at OSU. They are basically a group of future NFL players playing on Saturdays

That is why Saban has had such success. He gets the best players, but they play for him. 

It took Saban QUITTING the Big 10 (Michigan State) to go get his 1st chance to be a champion at LSU.  He also quit on the Miami Dolphins to pursue his next BIG chance at Alabama.  Nobody disputes the results he's had in the SEC.   Having said that, it sure looks like he fully understood how selective he needed to be in order to make that possible.  

23 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

▪︎ Believe it or not I was thinking about essentially the same thing. 

It took the TRESSEL and MEYER eras to get the JCoop losing disaster 2-10-1 against as I used to say "m"  out of the OSU mindset ...... ask any true BUCKEYE fan what that was like.

Both Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel got their dream shots to move up and over to The Ohio State University and lock them into the BEAT MICHIGAN  -and- winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  mindset for good. 

♥︎  Oh BTW after leaving OSU JT returned to his football roots to be President at YSU.  After a great run there where he brought even more improvements to YSU he resigned this year to actually  retire.  Enjoy your great ride at YSU and OSU winning NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS  at both.  

▪︎. Also not well known JT was instrumental in getting former Nebraska HC Bo Pelini, former OSU player, who always won 9+ games/year there to come to YSU as HC. Pelini was collecting a $7.1 million payoff when Nebraska let him go AFTER giving Pelini a big raise earlier but they had to pay Bo about $143,000/month until he was paid off.  The $143,000 was about what Bo made a year at YSU, so he got a few of his Nebraska staff to join him at YSU.   The results were quick !

In Bo's third year he "drove" his YSU team to the National Championship Game  only to lose in a tough game.   Bo shortly after left YSU to return to LSU and his old job as DC for a huge $2.3M/year.  He then was quickly let go from LSU and I despite trying could not find out why.  I don't know what he's doing now ...... I might look into that again.  Sure to be a good story !   :)

Ironcally Ryan Day has a shot at resurrection with a legitimate chance to win a National Championship yet again with two more wins.  He has the team, the time and super stars to do it.

If Ohio State is the best team then prove it, knock off GEO and then  "TG2" win "The Game"  v2.0 which he also can do.  If they beat GEO with the rest and Michigan with NO motivation necessary he can partially If not totally erase the 0-2 thing.

What a dream shot for Ryan Day  -and-  The Ohio State University.     Now do it !

On 11/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, MLD Woody said:

Edit: Shit you guys ran out and ripped down our banner decades ago. You have a song about not giving a damn about the whole state of Michigan.... 

The 70's....   I'd hardly hold the last 4 coaching staffs accountable for an event 40 years ago.       And yes, we have a song, big deal?   Texas has a line that says "the hell with A&M".  It's called a fight song for a reason.      

The conduct the players and coaches show on the field,  after the game and especially after a win what I'm referring to exclusively here.  Fans are fans and they'll always be idiots.    Saying you want to hang 100 on somebody is to be expected, it'd be weird if Harbaugh didn't show a certain level of vitriol before the game. After though and in the press conference? That's where we compose ourselves like men.   Planting the flag is that next level insult to be taken personally, and not at all in good spirit.    Had Buckeye players come over to that group who did it and turned it into a physical confrontation, would you blame them?  Hell no...   just like I wouldn't take exception to Wolverine players, god forbid, the Bucks did anything similar.    I'm just hoping neither would be the ones to provoke then cry when a proper response is given.  

Stop being intentionally obtuse for the sake of you being hyped about a win. My post is anything but a stretch.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The 70's....   I'd hardly hold the last 4 coaching staffs accountable for an event 40 years ago.       And yes, we have a song, big deal?   Texas has a line that says "the hell with A&M".  It's called a fight song for a reason.      

The conduct the players and coaches show on the field,  after the game and especially after a win what I'm referring to exclusively here.  Fans are fans and they'll always be idiots.    Saying you want to hang 100 on somebody is to be expected, it'd be weird if Harbaugh didn't show a certain level of vitriol before the game. After though and in the press conference? That's where we compose ourselves like men.   Planting the flag is that next level insult to be taken personally, and not at all in good spirit.    Had Buckeye players come over to that group who did it and turned it into a physical confrontation, would you blame them?  Hell no...   just like I wouldn't take exception to Wolverine players, god forbid, the Bucks did anything similar.    I'm just hoping neither would be the ones to provoke then cry when a proper response is given.  

Stop being intentionally obtuse for the sake of you being hyped about a win. My post is anything but a stretch.  

I'm not being obtuse. It is a stretch. You're drawing a line in the sand where you get to be triggered about something the team you don't like did, but still protect the things your team did / does. 

And yes, it absolutely would be the OSU players' faults if they came over to the Michigan players after that and made it physical.... 

OSU fans have been spoiled for years. Their program has shit gold. Even when they fuck up, they win (Ex, getting destroyed at home and still making the playoffs because they didn't have to play a 13th game). Years of this shit. Years and years. And now you want to cry about a flag being planted like it is some affront to God? Oh please. Give me a break.

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Watched them play Missouri, Tennesee and LSU.  

They play Michigan style football with guys by and large better than what you see at UM and they have IMO the best football player in college football Jalen Carter.  We have our hands full.

If we don’t pay attention to Carter it is going to be a long night.  And we can.  I like our book ends in pass protection if they can hold up on their islands we can have success and this will become a competitive game.  They play a ton of man coverage.  I’m interested if their secondary can hold up.  

We need JSN back to have a shot.  

This isn’t a game where Ryan Day needs to portion the run and pass evenly.  He needs to use the short pass game as the defacto run game.  JSN and Eubuga eating up underneath coverage.   I’d like to see some of those old OSU crossing routes on this man coverage too and again if we can protect we should do well. 

On defense I haven’t figured it out yet.

They have a TE that scares me. Their QB is a gamer, their line fires off the ball and could be the fastest OSU has seen, they have a lot of depth at skill positions.  If our front 4 doesn’t win consistently the offense is going to need to put up 40 plus. Maybe a guy like Jack Sawyer has a huge statement Game 

No JSN

And yes, UGA is just Michigan but better. So have fun with that

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

▪︎ Believe it or not I was thinking about essentially the same thing. 

It took the TRESSEL and MEYER eras to get the JCoop losing disaster 2-10-1 against as I used to say "m"  out of the OSU mindset ...... ask any true BUCKEYE fan what that was like.

Both Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel got their dream shots to move up and over to The Ohio State University and lock them into the BEAT MICHIGAN  -and- winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  mindset for good. 

Both Tressel and Meyer have some fun little baggage too...

15 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No JSN

And yes, UGA is just Michigan but better. So have fun with that

I don’t want to be right but this proves my point I made earlier in this thread.  We’ve got too many High 4 Star/5 Star guys with one foot in the NFL.  

The team lacks leadership and chemistry. 

And This was the short pass completion guy we needed in this game to compensate for the lack of a running game.   So huge disappointment of course. 

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Both Tressel and Meyer have some fun little baggage too...

Do you mean  BESIDES    those Division and National Championship trophies and other national awards ?   Yeah that's extra baggage alright.     :)

And I'm quite aware of coaches good and bad going back to Bo and Woody and a few beyond.  A few stores there, most legendary. 

▪︎. And one special day and evening that a group of us put on for a local high school coach and his family after it was confirmed that he had ALS.  It was held at Yankee Lake in NE Ohio near Brookfield HS.

Our guest speakers among others were Earle Bruce   and Bo Schemblecler (tricky to type).  Earle was OK but Bo absolutely impressed me, he busted it just to get from Michigan to Trumbull County in Ohio in time for our fundraiser.   

One of the most memorable of the coaching stories and events  I've been at.  The best revolved around the free work coach do that most people never hear about.    Some people only pay attention to big news stories,  oh well.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t want to be right but this proves my point I made earlier in this thread.  We’ve got too many High 4 Star/5 Star guys with one foot in the NFL.  

The team lacks leadership and chemistry. 

And This was the short pass completion guy we needed in this game to compensate for the lack of a running game.   So huge disappointment of course. 

And UGA doesn't? 

Your talent isn't a burden. That's insane. 

You do seem to lack leadership and toughness though 

6 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Do you mean  BESIDES    those Division and National Championship trophies and other national awards ?   Yeah that's extra baggage alright.     :)

And I'm quite aware of coaches good and bad going back to Bo and Woody and a few beyond. 

And one special day and evening that a group of us put on for a local high school coach and his family after it was confirmed that he had ALS.  It was held at Yankee Lake in NE Ohio near Brookfield HS.

Our guest speakers among others were Earle Bruce   and Bo Schemblecler (tricky to type).  Earle was OK but Bo absolutely impressed me, he busted it just to get from Michigan to Trumbull County in Ohio in time for our fundraiser.   

One of the most memorable of

Just don't enter any raffles with Tressel...