THE BROWNS BOARD

Guardians Offseason Moves

Dutch Oven

Will this former Cleveland Indians player come back against the current Guardians players  ?

NOV 27, 2022 4:28 PM EST

White Sox Sign Former Cleveland Pitcher

Mike Clevinger signs a one-year deal with the Chicago White Sox. Clevinger pitched for Cleveland from 2016 to 2020.
BY TOMMY WILD.    

Cleveland will see a familiar face pitching for the White Sox in 2023. That would be Mike Clevinger who agreed to a one-year deal with Chicago.

Clevinger pitched for the Cleveland Indians for five season seasons and posted a 3.20 ERA, 1.196 WHIP, and 10.0 SO9 in his time here. Cleavinger was at the center of the massive trade Cleveland pulled off with San Diego that brought Josh Naylor, Austin Hedges, Owen Miller, Cal Quantrill, and Gabriel Arias to town. 

All players who played a crucial role for the Guardians in 2022. 

Since the Padres never resigned him, we can easily say that the Guardians ended up the winners of this trade.    

Clevinger never really found a home in California after being dealt there. He missed the entire 2021 season after receiving Tommy John Surgery. Unfortunately, he hasn't looked quite the same since then. 

In 2022, he posted a 4.33 ERA in 22 starts in the regular season and gave up eight runs in only 2.2 innings pitched in the postseason.  

Cleveland has seen Clevinger two times since he was traded away. In those starts, they were able to get five runs, six hits, and two home runs off the former Cleveland pitcher. 

The Guardians have had a decent amount of success against Clevinger. That's a good thing since they will get to see a lot more of him since he's in the American League Central. 

Has Clevinger got past his TJ surgery and San Deigo experience now and   "could"   he possibly come back stronger  ?   I guess we'll see about that hes a CSX player now.

• 3 weeks later...

Best baseball player born in every year 

December 27th, 2022.  MLB.com (do a search there)

In the something to do department  .....    Here are a few .....

1993: Francisco Lindor (36.6 WAR) -- A four-time All-Star, Lindor established himself as a force in Cleveland before being traded to the Mets and signing a $341 million contract. <-- looks like our Frankie hit a gold mine !

Others of note: Trea Turner, Aaron Nola, Matt Chapman, Byron Buxton, Tim Anderson

1992: Mookie Betts (56.4 WAR) -- One of the best players of his generation, the outfielder won the 2018 AL MVP and is a six-time All-Star with six Gold Glove Awards and two World Series titles.

Others of note: Aaron Judge, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, José Ramírez, Xander Bogaerts

1991: Mike Trout (82.4 WAR) -- While injuries have slowed down his pace in recent seasons, he is still about 30 WAR ahead of the field here.

Others of note: Nolan Arenado, Christian Yelich, J.T. Realmuto, Robbie Ray, Kevin Gausman

• 2 weeks later...

Wow 1994- 2023 can it really be that long, went by quick.  And the Cleveland INDIANS got real good and stayed competitive in the AL Central. 

Improvements opening day 2024 and 2025, a commitment to stay in Cleveland until the 2030s at least for now.

And now the 💲 💲  💲......

Project Funding

The funding for the projects will be supported by the new lease agreement which extends the current lease to 2036 (with potential options to extent to 2046) and was agreed upon between the City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, State of Ohio, the Gateway Economic Development Corporation of Greater Cleveland and the Cleveland Guardians. The estimated total of the projects will be $202.5 million with $67.5 million coming from the Cleveland Guardians. The Guardians are also responsible to provide additional funds to cover cost overages, if any, that may result from the projects.

On 1/13/2023 at 4:17 AM, Dutch Oven said:

now if the fans would just show up that would be nice

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

now if the fans would just show up that would be nice

I think the Guardians name change didn't help the fan interest/attendance at first   -but-   winning the division might give them a better year 2.

Plus they will have a better team in 2023,  should be interesting.    We'll see  .....

Guardians

Trevor Bauer’s next stop, if there is one, won’t be Cleveland: The week in baseball

Updated: Jan. 07, 2023, 12:37 p.m.|

Published: Jan. 07, 2023, 12:20 p.m.  also on YouTube.  

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Trevor Bauer once told me that he and his sister used to write poems to his mother. His father would make the words rhyme for them.

One time a reporter from another city asked me if Bauer would talk to him about pitching. I told him Bauer would talk forever on the subject ... and he did.

When the Indians acquired Bauer from Arizona right after the winter meetings in 2012, one of his pitching gurus predicted he would win at least five Cy Young awards.

I talked to his father, Warren, the next day and he asked me not to use that quote. Bauer’s stay with Arizona was short and rocky. His father felt a quote like that would only heighten the expectations on his son.

In the pandemic shortened season of 2020, Bauer did win the Cy Young award for Cincinnati after the Indians traded him in 2019. It may be the only one he wins because Bauer’s big league future is in doubt.

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

As much as I would like another veteran pitcher in the starting rotation, especially one of Bauer's ability, I'd pass on him too. 

Guy is a Grade A DBag.  For sure with Tito.

Great big expectations   -and-   great big dangerous warning signs with Mr Trevor on and off the field.

Is it worth the risk ?  Maybe for a contender on the edge that needs another starter ?

Or have we seen the rise and fall of Mr Bauer, for good.  Watch MLB v.2023 and see what happens ...... next.         :o

.....  * edit add,  I think that Mr Bauer wore out his welcome with the Indians/Guardians manager Tito Francona,  remember when Bauer threw that ball over the centerfold fence ?  If looks could kill Tito had had it with Bauer right there.  Bauer had a ticket out of Cleveland before you knew it.  

And where is he now, baseball limbo ?

Edited by mjp28

I just liked this story,  GO GUARDS  and Beiber is in Cleveland for now.

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Guardians reached agreement Friday with pitcher Shane Bieber on a $10.01 million contract for next season to avoid salary arbitration.

Bieber made $6 million last season while going 13-8 and leading Cleveland’s pitching staff in innings (200) and strikeouts (198). The 27-year-old has expressed interest in signing a long-term deal with the AL Central champions, but to this point the sides haven’t been able to work out a deal.

A two-time All-Star, Bieber is under team control for two more seasons.

I just liked this story,  GO GUARDS  and Beiber is in Cleveland for now.

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Cleveland Guardians reached agreement Friday with pitcher Shane Bieber on a $10.01 million contract for next season to avoid salary arbitration.

Bieber made $6 million last season while going 13-8 and leading Cleveland’s pitching staff in innings (200) and strikeouts (198). The 27-year-old has expressed interest in signing a long-term deal with the AL Central champions, but to this point the sides haven’t been able to work out a deal.

A two-time All-Star, Bieber is under team control for two more seasons.

And a sad story about a former Cleveland Indians player. 

(WJW) — A former Cleveland pitcher is reportedly the subject of a Major League Baseball investigation.

Mike “Sunshine” Clevinger, who played for the then-Indians from 2016-2020, is being investigated for allegations of domestic violence, Britt Ghiroli of the Athletic first reported.

The alleged abuse (emotional, verbal and physical) involves the mother of Clevinger’s 10-month-old daughter and the baby.

The 32-year-old pitcher was signed to the Chicago White Sox in November and the team says they didn’t know about the allegations at the time. His latest contract is for one year.

While with Cleveland, Clevinger was a teammate of pitcher Trevor Bauer, who’s had his own troubles off the field.

As the Clevinger investigation is ongoing, there’s no word on a potential suspension at this time.

• 2 months later...

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2023/03/guardians-reportedly-sign-2b-andres-gimenez-to-seven-year-106-million-contract-extension.html

The Guardians have signed All-Star secondbaseman Andres Gimenez to a long extension.

It will be interesting to see how this will work out long-term. The G's shortstop is Amed Rosario, who is a free agent after this season. There's been rumors that the team could be looking to sign him long-term too. If so, the team will have to start dealing away some of their top prospects, because there's a glut of very good shortstops and secondbaseman in the organization that are close to major-league ready. If Rosario doesn't sign and is allowed to leave after the season, Gimenez could slide over to short, as that was his natural position.

• mjp28 unpinned this topic