THE BROWNS BOARD

Everything everywhere all at once review

Everything Everywhere all at Once

A 24

R.                 139 min

So far best picture nomination predictions have this one in the top five pretty much across the board. Had I known how much of it would be subtitles I might have (and probably should) have skipped it but I decided to give it a shot. Actually, if you stand close enough to the big screen TV with a pause button you can pick up enough of the dialog to figure out what's being said. Unfortunately, that doesn't make the plot any clearer or more interesting. Don't misunderstand it's clear enough what's going on but there doesn't really seem to be much rhyme or reason for it. Kurt Vonnegut’s Billy Pilgrim became unstuck in time, floating around different eras at random and in this feature our heroin / protagonist / whatever is a middle-aged Chinese immigrant who has become unstuck in the universe, well actually multiple alternate universes. I guess this concept could wind up being an interesting story but for some reason this particular film never rises above confusing and annoying. Maybe it's because full-blown science fiction suffers when it's delivered via second rate cinematography and effects. Maybe it's because the too prevalent subtitles make the frenetic and hard to follow story even worse.  Maybe it's the lack of charisma of any of the main characters or that they all seem just the slightest bit grubby. Maybe some members of the academy just want to appear hip and nominate something because it seems exotic to them. Maybe it's some kind of a protest against good old fashioned Yankee movie entertainment, who knows? If I can slip in an obscure movie reference it might be I'm just not smart enough to appreciate it like when Albert Brooks has a taste of Rip Torn’s dinner in DEFENDING YOUR LIFE.

And while I am beating the word maybe to death here maybe it's a case of the emperor's new clothes.

D

WSS

On 12/9/2022 at 3:07 AM, Westside Steve said:

that doesn't make the plot any cleare

when it comes down to it It is about the relationship between the mother and her gay daughter and is worth a second watch (funniest line was "but the laundry bags were happier up stairs ")

21 hours ago, syd said:

when it comes down to it It is about the relationship between the mother and her gay daughter and is worth a second watch (funniest line was "but the laundry bags were happier up stairs ")

Oh well looks like you liked it better than I did. To each his own.

WSS