THE BROWNS BOARD

Tell me again why Browns Stadium shouldn't have roof

Orion

It's the big Home Field Advantage right?    Teams have to come to Cleveland and the weather will make them buckle under right?

We just had a bad southern Louisiana team with a dome come to Cleveland and play in the 3rd coldest NFL game in history...and beat us.  And WE were the team that the weather affected.  Cooper had a sure thing TD but slipped on the frozen field and we had to settle for a FG.  On our final attempts to score a tying TD we had a prefect pass go right through DPJ's hands.  And he's been a very good catcher of the football for us.  And then we had the ball go right through Njoku's hands.  Cold, frozen, slippery hands and football.  

The Saints pretty much sold out to stop our run game.  Chubb & Hunt combined for 31 carries for 100 yards.  That's 3 yards per attempt.  31 tries is a lot of trying to run.  And, of course, passing was difficult in the windy, cold conditions.  

Now there were over 67,000 tickets sold for that game....but I'd bet about 2/3rds of those people stayed home.  Apparently, there are those that think spending all the money for tickets, parking, etc. for 'entertainment' means that you should want to freeze your ass off...and like it!  :)  

Contrary to popular belief, football is not 'made to be played' in that type of weather.  Passing is a part of the game.  Especially in today's NFL.  Put a roof on it...if not for the players, then for the fans.  After all, without the fans, what have you got?

• Thanks 1

The lease for First Energy runs out at the end of the decade, I believe.

I fully expect that the Haslams will go all-out to build a domed stadium to replace what was a generic stadium thrown together quickly for the expansion Browns by the end of the decade. I know it is apples to oranges, but their Columbus Crew just walked away from a 20ish year old stadium for a brand-new downtown stadium.

Interesting note about yesterdays game: The Saints were 0-6 outside this season until they came up to Cleveland and played in the Browns coldest regular season game, ever. 

• Thanks 1

Well I've been to Houston, Indy, & St. Louis (Edward Jones Dome)& Glendale (Cardinals). Boring experiences- it's like watching in a theater.

The Browns lost because they got out-schemed again. Lost because they simply don't win in the trenches.

Season tickets holder since '79. We chose not to go after my face froze while shoveling snow off my driveway for 25 minutes. It was a nasty wind. I go to the game at age 39...at age 59 well I'll prep the Christmas dinner.

I'm not saying your wrong. My hunch is Haslam pitches for a dome. I think it's 2028 when the lease expires. Will the county/state chip in ( meaning we locals)?

The dome can sell if Haslam ever figures out how to get a truly competitive playoff roster in here, otherwise I hate to say it....bye bye Cleveland Browns. That would suck, AGAIN.

15 hours ago, Orion said:

It's the big Home Field Advantage right?    Teams have to come to Cleveland and the weather will make them buckle under right?

We just had a bad southern Louisiana team with a dome come to Cleveland and play in the 3rd coldest NFL game in history...and beat us.  And WE were the team that the weather affected.  Cooper had a sure thing TD but slipped on the frozen field and we had to settle for a FG.  On our final attempts to score a tying TD we had a prefect pass go right through DPJ's hands.  And he's been a very good catcher of the football for us.  And then we had the ball go right through Njoku's hands.  Cold, frozen, slippery hands and football.  

The Saints pretty much sold out to stop our run game.  Chubb & Hunt combined for 31 carries for 100 yards.  That's 3 yards per attempt.  31 tries is a lot of trying to run.  And, of course, passing was difficult in the windy, cold conditions.  

Now there were over 67,000 tickets sold for that game....but I'd bet about 2/3rds of those people stayed home.  Apparently, there are those that think spending all the money for tickets, parking, etc. for 'entertainment' means that you should want to freeze your ass off...and like it!  :)  

Contrary to popular belief, football is not 'made to be played' in that type of weather.  Passing is a part of the game.  Especially in today's NFL.  Put a roof on it...if not for the players, then for the fans.  After all, without the fans, what have you got?

Did the current stadium be designed to add a dome in later years? or they have to build a whole new stadium? I wanted that ability to add it later. IF not, ..... it's too late. Forget it.

First Energy Stadium cost less than $300 mill to build in the late 90s.

If the Browns built a new domed stadium at the end of this decade, I would estimate the price would be four to six times that. My guess to do this the Haslams would not build on the lakefront, but instead tear the stadium down there and develop the land to help pay for the domed stadium somewhere else in the downtown area. (Perhaps south of Progressive Field?) And I mean help pay for the domed stadium, not pay entirely for their own stadium, of course. 

18 hours ago, Orion said:

Out of curiousity, I looked up the passing stats for the Browns vs Raiders "Red Right 88" playoff game in January 1981.

Combined, MVP Brian Sipe and eventual two-time Super Bowl winner Jim Plunkett went 27-70 for 332 yards, 0 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Did the current stadium be designed to add a dome in later years? or they have to build a whole new stadium? I wanted that ability to add it later. IF not, ..... it's too late. Forget it.

When Haslam bought the team, I remember that being one of the first things he looked at doing, and after a few consultations, the answer was no. Time for a dome in CLE.  

As for the previous statement too about Cooper slipping and dropping the pass in the EZ? I read that the stadium has a boiler system with 40 miles on conduit to prevent the field from freezing. Was it just that cold that the heating system couldn't keep up, or was the heating system not on at all. 

Also, wait for a few players or teams to start bitching about the potential injuries when playing in inclement weather and some type of initiative that will force Teams to have "equal" playing fields across the league and forcing owners/cities to have domes. Less cold induced injuries. Fair and equal kicking games, etc., Not that I agree with it, but that's the trend we have in our society today. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/25/2022 at 10:07 PM, Orion said:

Some of that is overblown.  Andy Dalton, who played college ball at TCU was drafted by Cincy and he made Pro Bowls at QB for a team that played a lot of cold weather games.  That said, that Cincy team had a whole bunch of 1 and dones in the post season.  

Even though the Browns are unconditionally my favorite team since I was about 5 years old back in 1969 - I would say this year's team feels like the one I'be been least attracted to.  Even though we had a 1-31 record over a 2 year stretch - it always felt like those teams gave it their all.  Our Owner just sucks and swallows.  But this team? The reason we're looking back at various games with the feeling we should have won - is because those opponents were more willing to do all the little things right that add up over a 60 minute contest.  They just wanted it more.   We've seen what this team can do when they really want it - look no further than the 1st Cincy game.

Some years I have about 5 or 6  favorite players on this team.  This year?  Just Chubb and Bitonio and I'll add in Jacoby Brissett.  These are all very high effort guys that aren't difficult to appreciate and enjoy.  I hope we keep Brissett here.

Edited by Flugel

8 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

A domed stadium in Cleveland? Yeah, and let's all start fucking mannequins.

It doesn't have to be a dome.  It can be retractable for bathing in the harmful radiation of the sun if you like.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 2:27 PM, Dutch Oven said:

First Energy Stadium cost less than $300 mill to build in the late 90s.

If the Browns built a new domed stadium at the end of this decade, I would estimate the price would be four to six times that. My guess to do this the Haslams would not build on the lakefront, but instead tear the stadium down there and develop the land to help pay for the domed stadium somewhere else in the downtown area. (Perhaps south of Progressive Field?) And I mean help pay for the domed stadium, not pay entirely for their own stadium, of course. 

I think the site is already pretty much identified.  It is on the bluff above the Muni lot.  The FBI building and TV 3 studios are up there along with a bunch of old buildings pretty much not being used.  It would be a perfect location.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:07 PM, Orion said:

The covered or better yet retractable stadium  is for

1. The fans comfort . -or-    would anyone prefer the empty stands and as I saw on our local sports  BROWNS seats $5  (and steelers $10 same night).  Sure you crazy snowball guys like that ..... so you can take your shirts off ..... the other 98.6% of us say no we will pass so we 98.6% of us can enjoy our nachos and a cold beer.   :lol:

2. For city and regional attractions to be held year round.   Think big picture guys 8 NFL home games or 40-50++ events at the  " The  CLEVELAND  BROWNS   stadium/ metroplex ".     Bring in all kinds of concerts, SUPER BOWLS,  rodeos, motocross,  (you name it)  to downtown Cleveland,  OHIO. 

Money gentlemen money drives everything big in this world.    And do you want any taxpayers help or private it really doesn't matter.   Financing,  tax abatements all of that can be worked out, let the billionaires quibble over that stuff.  

Wouldn't you like all of those attractions within driving distance from you.  AND THINK BIG we already have the HALL OF FAME, and Benson's privately funded 22,000 seat field right there oh yeah TRIBE, CAVS ..... think bigger.    But again we can let the billionaires quibble over that.   CLEVELAND is almost there.  Picture a package with HOF football and rock with tickets to the Guardians or CAVS and a big rock show at the Cleveland BROWNS Metroplex.    Too big for you ?  OK let the billionaires quibble over that too.

Just food for thought....     :D

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

The covered or better yet retractable stadium  is for

1. The fans comfort . -or-    would anyone prefer the empty stands and as I saw on our local sports  BROWNS seats $5  (and steelers $10 same night).  Sure you crazy snowball guys like that ..... so you can take your shirts off ..... the other 98.6% of us say no we will pass so we 98.6% of us can enjoy our nachos and a cold beer.   :lol:

2. For city and regional attractions to be held year round.   Think big picture guys 8 NFL home games or 40-50++ events at the  " The  CLEVELAND  BROWNS   stadium/ metroplex ".     Bring in all kinds of concerts, SUPER BOWLS,  rodeos, motocross,  (you name it)  to downtown Cleveland,  OHIO. 

Money gentlemen money drives everything big in this world.    And do you want any taxpayers help or private it really doesn't matter.   Financing,  tax abatements all of that can be worked out, let the billionaires quibble over that stuff.  

Wouldn't you like all of those attractions within driving distance from you.  AND THINK BIG we already have the HALL OF FAME, and Benson's privately funded 22,000 seat field right there oh yeah TRIBE, CAVS ..... think bigger.    But again we can let the billionaires quibble over that.   CLEVELAND is almost there.  Picture a package with HOF football and rock with tickets to the Guardians or CAVS and a big rock show at the Cleveland BROWNS Metroplex.    Too big for you ?  OK let the billionaires quibble over that too.

Just food for thought....     :D

Regarding the sparse crowd and lousy weather for the Saints game....

1) Anyone who doesn't think that it being CHRISTMAS EVE wasn't huge factor is nuts. Family commitments anyone? I have several nephews who spend hours freezing their asses off in duck blinds that gladly would have gone to the game, just not on that day. I'll agree with Flugel, uninspiring team too. Being in serious contention for the playoffs would have increased the attendance. 

2) Yep mjp you got that right BILLIONAIRES.  I doubt Jimmuh would be willing to pull a Stan Kroenke out of his ass on his own and fund the two billion or so that seems to be the going rate for a new NFL stadium today. I doubt the city or county will be willing to chip in much. 

3) LOL this "we gotta build a dome" rant comes up every time there's a bad weather game. The wimpification of America. I've been to five different domed venues to see the Brown play, and if that's the ambiance you prefer... My suggestion to you is stay home, watch the game on TV in your Man Cave, and save yourself a lot of money in the process. Because that's exactly IMHO the ambiance of watching a game in a dome. 

4) There's um how many cold weather cities that don't have domed stadiums and have no plans to build one? Let's put a dome over Lambeau Field in Green Bay. :D Soldier Field Chicago. If you think it can't get cold in Cincinnati, I give you the Bengals- Chargers playoff game where the plumbing froze in the rest rooms. (I was in West Virginia skiing at Snowshoe that day when the wind chill hit minus 78 below, but I digress.) Finally, there's the beautiful banana belt city currently buried under multiple feet of snow (that would be Buffalo) if the reports I've seen are correct, isn't planning on their new stadium being domed. Fortunately with the big warming trend coming up, they should be able to dump the mountain of snow around the stadium into the Niagra River prior to their upcoming playoff game. And pray they don't get hit with another blizzard in the meantime.  :)

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I like your idea, but a domed stadium would have to compete against the Cleveland Convention Center, The IX, and Rocket Mortgage Field House.

• Upvote 1

PS, yes I'm aware that 25 years or so is currently the shelf life of an NFL stadium. Doesn't have to be though, if it's done right. IIRC Arrowhead in KC is 50 years old, and a great venue to watch a game. Unfortunately, First Energy was built quickly and on the cheap, so it probably is approaching it's expiration date. 

Just MHO though- those expecting a billion bucks worth of $100 dollar bills to start raining down from the heavens to build a new stadium aren't being very realistic.  

4 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I like your idea, but a domed stadium would have to compete against the Cleveland Convention Center, The IX, and Rocket Mortgage Field House.

But... We can't have tractor pulls or rodeos at those other venues.  🙄

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Wrong, those are typically held at Rocket Mortgage Field House.

Along with Disney on Ice, WWE, and various concerts throughout the year.

And if that was sarcasm…put it in pink. 😀

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Just curious,   why no tractor pulls or rodeos in Cleveland ?   They are all over the USA. 

Now a reality check  a.  Dome in Cleveland ?    b. Hell will freeze over.  C. Both.  D.  Neither.   

So do they have a shot ?

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Just curious,   why no tractor pulls or rodeos in Cleveland ?   They are all over the USA. 

Now a reality check  a.  Dome in Cleveland ?    b. He'll will freeze over.  C. Both.  D.  Neither.   

So do they have a shot ?

TBD...  and probably not in our lifetime regarding a Dome. Here's the reality check. First Energy cost close to $600 million in today's dollars, and it was stretch to find the money. You tell me how Cleveland is going to be able to dig up four or five times that to build a domed pleasure palace.  

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

TBD...  and probably not in our lifetime regarding a Dome. Here's the reality check. First Energy cost close to $600 million in today's dollars, and it was stretch to find the money. You tell me how Cleveland is going to be able to dig up four or five times that to build a domed pleasure palace.  

You are correct.   If they didn't do this 20, 30 or more years ago they might have missed their shot at a dome by lake Erie I'm afraid  ..... unless some new leader can come in and put it together. 

Just before the SUPER BOWL?? in Cleveland  I'm afraid.   Oh well  .....  a good idea that may never happen.    Who knows now or when.

I have never gone to a game or not gone to a game because of the weather or because of the fucking stadium.

If either of these things influence you seeing a football game you are not a fan, you are a cuunnt.

Who TF cares about this bullshit?

Hey Larry, we better not get tickets for next year's Steeler game in December. It might be cold and snow.

Who TF thinks stupid shit like this?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I have never gone to a game or not gone to a game because of the weather or because of the fucking stadium.

If either of these things influence you seeing a football game you are not a fan, you are a cuunnt.

Who TF cares about this bullshit?

Hey Larry, we better not get tickets for next year's Steeler game in December. It might be cold and snow.

Who TF thinks stupid shit like this?

i just wore a heavy jacket

• Like 1

14 hours ago, syd said:

i just wore a heavy jacket

Part of it is mental, the other part is being willing to shell out money to have proper cold weather gear in your posession. If you notice my sig line, I've done a fair share of cold weather camping and mountaineering. Including a couple days at the Sheldon Cabin on Denali. (see image below, when you really want to get away from it all)  I did notice it was 25 degrees the other day when I got back from my bike ride. 

Shit, one of the documentaries I've seen on Mount Everest climbs, those guys were at Camp Two at 22,000 feet, it was 20 below wind chill at night, and they were acting like they were at a Boy Scout picnic.  :)

FWIW, my Alaska pal has told me you can tolerate -40 below as long as there's no wind. The saying up there is "wind kills".

A pilot's love for the mountains built a house on Denali ...

• Like 2

Real grass, although I believe there are methods to grow grass indoors. Turf is awful. I can’t imagine a time where the Steelers play indoors and frankly I feel the same about the browns. It’s kind of built into their football dna. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Part of it is mental, the other part is being willing to shell out money to have proper cold weather gear in your posession. If you notice my sig line, I've done a fair share of cold weather camping and mountaineering. Including a couple days at the Sheldon Cabin on Denali. (see image below, when you really want to get away from it all)  I did notice it was 25 degrees the other day when I got back from my bike ride. 

Shit, one of the documentaries I've seen on Mount Everest climbs, those guys were at Camp Two at 22,000 feet, it was 20 below wind chill at night, and they were acting like they were at a Boy Scout picnic.  :)

FWIW, my Alaska pal has told me you can tolerate -40 below as long as there's no wind. The saying up there is "wind kills".

A pilot's love for the mountains built a house on Denali ...

Larry you were going to the stadium in the ice and cold even before you were a mountain man. We went to the games because that's what we do

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Larry you were going to the stadium in the ice and cold even before you were a mountain man. We went to the games because that's what we do

Well yes, I was at Red Right 88... And I well remember a Rams game at old Municipal where it was so cold we had beer slushies.  But a lot of the serious climbs I've done- Mount Elbert in Colorado, the Grand Teton and Gannett Peak in Wyoming were in the late 1970s.  :) 

As one of the guys (from Pittsburgh no less) that we hiked out of the Bridger Wilderness with... Yeah, nice August weather in the high country 30 degrees and light snow said, and I'll never forget it.. "What I consider a vacation, most folks would think it was severe torture."  :D